Lest we forget that the GC had a great launch as well.

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@halo_rules said:
@emgesp said:
@halo_rules said:

I am sure they will be if they bow out now. Sega's problem was they ran into financial troubles first.

Good point. I think its funny that a lot of Nintendo fans have no faith in Nintendo if they went third party as if Nintendo consoles have some kind of magic that makes the games that much better than if they were on a different device.

They need to be welcomed to reality. Microsoft and Sony are gigantic corporations and Nintendo is way to small to put out a thriving current gen system. Sony proved this with their handhelds which eclipsed Nintendo's in terms of features and power yet sunk because a lack of brand loyalty.

The PS3 and Xbox One show that brand loyalty does not matter nearly as much to Xbox or playstation gamers as they swapped places practically twice. There is no reason the Wii U should have sold as much as it did... For its time it is a worse system than the Atari Jaguar was comparatively to its time. Nintendo knows how to make quality software that keeps their terrible hardware afloat.

It really annoys me when people try and compare the Wii U to the Dreamcast as if they are equals. No they aren't equals, when the Dreamcast came out it wasn't an overpriced and underpowered console. It also has a way better game library than the Wii U.

halo_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#102 halo_rules
Member since 2017 • 61 Posts

@emgesp said:
@halo_rules said:
@emgesp said:
@halo_rules said:

I am sure they will be if they bow out now. Sega's problem was they ran into financial troubles first.

Good point. I think its funny that a lot of Nintendo fans have no faith in Nintendo if they went third party as if Nintendo consoles have some kind of magic that makes the games that much better than if they were on a different device.

They need to be welcomed to reality. Microsoft and Sony are gigantic corporations and Nintendo is way to small to put out a thriving current gen system. Sony proved this with their handhelds which eclipsed Nintendo's in terms of features and power yet sunk because a lack of brand loyalty.

The PS3 and Xbox One show that brand loyalty does not matter nearly as much to Xbox or playstation gamers as they swapped places practically twice. There is no reason the Wii U should have sold as much as it did... For its time it is a worse system than the Atari Jaguar was comparatively to its time. Nintendo knows how to make quality software that keeps their terrible hardware afloat.

It really annoys me when people try and compare the Wii U to the Dreamcast as if they are equals. No they aren't equals, when the Dreamcast came out it wasn't an overpriced and underpowered console. It also has a way better game library than the Wii U.

Ah yeah, Dreamcast was quite strong when it came out. People were amazed by Soul Calibur I think. Most systems in the past tried to give their customers a powerful machine. I feel like Nintendo did not even try with the Wii U. It was like with the Wii U and the Switch they are putting the gimmick first and the actual system second. The Dreamcast was the opposite where the VMU was multipurpose and did not detract from the quality of the system.

Not to mention the Switch's gimmick does not even offer any noticeable gameplay differences (a "selling point" for the 3DS and DS). There are http://nintendotoday.com/switch-console-bending/ systems bending while docked and various issues that shows a lack of foresight and being cheap in terms of overall production.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By emgesp

@storm_of_swords said:

I think you are wrong. I've talked to casual gamers that haven't cared about Nintendo in a very long time and they are interested in buying or have already bought a Nintendo Switch. This thing has appeal beyond just the hardcore Nintendo fans that bought the Wii U.

And I'm genuinely curious, why does the Nintendo Switch's success seem to bother you so much? You've been doing nothing but bashing it since it was first announced and predicting that just because it isn't what you personally want it to be that nobody else could possibly like it either and it seems to upset you that it is selling well and other people are happy with it. It feels like you want to see it fail.

Of course there will be exceptions, but if you think casuals make up even 15% of Switch sales then you aren't being realistic.

The casuals ain't coming in big numbers until Animal Crossing and Pokemon get released.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

All I know is that the switch isn't in a place right now that I'd buy one.

Maybe by the time Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out I'll like the games lineup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@emgesp said:
@storm_of_swords said:

I think you are wrong. I've talked to casual gamers that haven't cared about Nintendo in a very long time and they are interested in buying or have already bought a Nintendo Switch. This thing has appeal beyond just the hardcore Nintendo fans that bought the Wii U.

And I'm genuinely curious, why does the Nintendo Switch's success seem to bother you so much? You've been doing nothing but bashing it since it was first announced and predicting that just because it isn't what you personally want it to be that nobody else could possibly like it either and it seems to upset you that it is selling well and other people are happy with it. It feels like you want to see it fail.

Of course there will be exceptions, but if you think casuals make up even 15% of Switch sales then you aren't be realistic.

The casuals ain't coming in big numbers until Animal Crossing and Pokemon get released.

Maybe not yet since it currently sells out as soon as it goes on shelves and the hardcore will be more likely to put in more effort into tracking one down, but casuals are already interested in it and once it becomes more easily attainable, I definitely think casuals will make up much more than 15% of Switch sales.

The Nintendo Switch has people outside of Nintendo's hardcore fanbase interested and excited; I've seen it first hand and I expect this to only grow since the very nature of the device provides the best marketing that any company could ever hope to have. I've taken my Switch to public places and when people see me playing it, they get curious about it and think it's cool. I imagine this is also happening with other Switch owners all over the world and they are therefore marketing and getting casual gamers interested in it just by playing it in public places. And this free marketing to casual gamers will be even more effective once Mario Kart is released since then when someone sees you playing the Switch and gets curious about it, you can just easily hand them a joycon controller and watch them fall in love with it on the spot. And this is the main reason why your prediction of the Nintendo Switch being a failure will be wrong.

And if you think that we have to wait until Animal Crossing and Pokemon get released for casuals to get interested in the Switch then you are underestimating the huge appeal of Mario Kart. Both hardcore and casual, both men and women, both young and old... everybody loves Mario Kart and once they get to try it via the free marketing that I was just talking about, they will want a Switch.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By emgesp

@storm_of_swords said:

Maybe not yet since it currently sells out as soon as it goes on shelves and the hardcore will be more likely to put in more effort into tracking one down, but casuals are already interested in it and once it becomes more easily attainable, I definitely think casuals will make up much more than 15% of Switch sales.

The Nintendo Switch has people outside of Nintendo's hardcore fanbase interested and excited; I've seen it first hand and I expect this to only grow since the very nature of the device provides the best marketing that any company could ever hope to have. I've taken my Switch to public places and when people see me playing it, they get curious about it and think it's cool. I imagine this is also happening with other Switch owners all over the world and they are therefore marketing and getting casual gamers interested in it just by playing it in public places. And this free marketing to casual gamers will be even more effective once Mario Kart is released since then when someone sees you playing the Switch and gets curious about it, you can just easily hand them a joycon controller and watch them fall in love with it on the spot. And this is the main reason why your prediction of the Nintendo Switch being a failure will be wrong.

And if you think that we have to wait until Animal Crossing and Pokemon get released for casuals to get interested in the Switch then you are underestimating the huge appeal of Mario Kart. Both hardcore and casual, both men and women, both young and old... everybody loves Mario Kart and once they get to try it via the free marketing that I was just talking about, they will want a Switch.

Sure down the road that is possible, but I'm talking currently.

Last time I checked casuals didn't care enough about Mario Kart 8 to pick up a Wii U.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Haters gona hate, hate, hate, hate....

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@emgesp said:
@storm_of_swords said:

Sure down the road that is possible, but I'm talking currently.

Last time I checked casuals didn't care enough about Mario Kart 8 to pick up a Wii U.

As I explained, Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U didn't have the free marketing from Switch owners playing in public and being able to let casuals try it right there on the spot with the joycon controllers like Mario Kart 8 on the Switch will be getting. This excellent type of marketing is something that no other console is capable of and it is a huge deal and I don't think you and other non-Switch owners that are predicting it's failure understand how effective this is yet at getting people interested in the device. I've seen from first hand experience people get curious and interested in the Switch just by seeing me playing it in public.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

This type of marketing is a huge deal and I don't think you and other non-Switch owners that are predicting it's failure understand how effective this is yet at getting people interested in the device.

People are saying this because nintendo has a history of poor marketing and gimmicky systems. The combination of the two creates this initial positive response and then a pretty big dip in console sales and game sales. We've seen it with every nintendo system past the N64 and they seem to be following the same model.

As for your marketing idea, this would be effective with a 5-10 dollar item also being sold on the spot (what youre describing would be an immediate gratification thing), but not a game and/or system. Im sure we could attribute some sales to this idea, but nothing worth mentioning. What would help nintendo more than anything else, is to stop fucking with youtubers and you know... actually spend some money on advertising.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Yeah, but the GameCube had hardware restrictions for developers (cute discs and a fisher price controller layout for NO reason) AND Nintendo's usual home console lack of 3rd party support.

The Switch has adequate controls and will likely get access to Nintendo's handheld 3rd party support, which is decent and what I'm hoping for. The switch has non intrusive gimmicks, so developers don't have to go 'I have to slide these controllers out? We have to make games for this?'.

So I'm not buying that the Switch is going to fail. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. BUT in my opinion, Nintendo has a short window of opportunity, they need games to hit while it's hot, to entice developers in. So if I'm Nintendo, right now, I'm porting some of those other Wii U games over.

silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 silly_pants
Member since 2012 • 233 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Yeah, but the GameCube had hardware restrictions for developers (cute discs and a fisher price controller layout for NO reason) AND Nintendo's usual home console lack of 3rd party support.

The Switch has adequate controls and will likely get access to Nintendo's handheld 3rd party support, which is decent and what I'm hoping for. The switch has non intrusive gimmicks, so developers don't have to go 'I have to slide these controllers out? We have to make games for this?'.

So I'm not buying that the Switch is going to fail. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. BUT in my opinion, Nintendo has a short window of opportunity, they need games to hit while it's hot, to entice developers in. So if I'm Nintendo, right now, I'm porting some of those other Wii U games over.

Well posted, I want to state right of the bat that I concur with each and every statement that you have made.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#113 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

*Reads thread. Is highly amused. Goes back to my Switch to play one of the best games ever.

It's a shame some people are missing out. Glad it's not me.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 emgesp

@storm_of_swords said:

As I explained, Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U didn't have the free marketing from Switch owners playing in public and being able to let casuals try it right there on the spot with the joycon controllers like Mario Kart 8 on the Switch will be getting. This excellent type of marketing is something that no other console is capable of and it is a huge deal and I don't think you and other non-Switch owners that are predicting it's failure understand how effective this is yet at getting people interested in the device. I've seen from first hand experience people get curious and interested in the Switch just by seeing me playing it in public.

I will give Nintendo credit in that regard. The marketing for the Switch is much improved over Wii U. I actually see Nintendo commercials for once on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever seen a Wii U commercial.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 emgesp

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I'm not saying it will totally fail, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't meet Nintendo's long term sales expectations.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#116 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

And yet 3DS sold 70 million unitson the back of just Japanese third party support, I'd say it can make up for western support just fine

@manticored said:

He's forgetting also that hardware sales are the least important metric of all, if Switch sold 50 million units, that would only net Nintendo a profit margin of 1 billion dollars, they could make that margin with two video games.

The real money is made via software and accessory sales.

Right (although hardware is a major profit maker for Nintendo)- he's making short sighted assumptions predicated on no knowledge or hard numbers whatsoever.

Yep, I stated that to him as he only thinks that only "Hardcore" Nintendo fans are buying the Switch and Zelda. Yet when I bring up a point on how parents buy kids an iPad Mini as their entertainment device for games and youtube, he shrugs off as it doesn't count because an iPad can be use for their homework.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#117 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yep... The last smart thing Nintendo did..... sigh...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

Righto. That doesn't really mean much either.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 FireEmblem_Man

@tjandmia said:

I don't see how anyone can think the switch can succeed. After many months of admitting that the Wii U tablet was one of the main reasons the Wi U failed, they release another tablet based system.

I expect the Switch will ultimately do marginally better than the Wii U. Sony has this gen locked. No one else is going to sell a ton of systems. I doubt Microsoft will even sell what it sold last gen with the 360.

Wii U didn't fail because of the tablet, Wii U failed because of poor marketing and messaging. People thought that the Wii U was a new Wii Accessory. Nintendo failed to show off the console and concentrated on the gamepad more. With the Switch, they're succeeding because the message is much clearer than the Wii U.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@emgesp: but it sorta did launch with a Mario game instead of playing as Mario your Luigi also had a wave race

Oh and Nintendo is making a profit off each switch sold let's not forget that

Which means even if they only sold 25 million switches they'd be rich and I think switch will easily sell 60 million or more because of the portable side of things combined with home console market this thing could be a Wii like success

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Wii U didn't fail because of the tablet, Wii U failed because of poor marketing and messaging. People thought that the Wii U was a new Wii Accessory. Nintendo failed to show off the console and concentrated on the gamepad more. With the Switch, they're succeeding because the message is much clearer than the Wii U.

NIntendo has already publicly admitted that one of the biggest reasons for the wiiu failure was the tablet controller. You can't change history.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#122  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I dont care about Gamecubes total sales. To me Gamecube was the best console Nintendo ever made since SNES era with great performances , appealing price , great exclusives/time exclusives , great and diverse library with 1st and 3rd parties.

I wish Switch to end something like Gamecube rather than being a success with over 80million units sold worldwide though end up in a serious life support early on despite that.

WE will see

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#123  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@emgesp said:

I know for many people its easy to hype up early Switch sales, but a reminder is in order that early success doesn't guarantee long term success. Keep in mind that while GC shipped during the holiday season it didn't launch with a huge killer app, so don't talk about how amazing the Switch sold considering it shipped in March without taking into consideration the fact that it also launched with a brand new Zelda game.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-reports-record-gamecube-launch/

What pushed early sales of the GC was the news of Resident Evil being exclusive. Otherwise, the GC kinda suffered a lot of the same problems the Wii U did (namely Nintendo's bigger titles coming out too late or near the end of it's generation like Twilight Princess did). The GC is not one of my favorite Nintendo consoles, btw.

Anyway, if you're going to use a piece of history like this to play down Switch sales, you should also mention that these are two completely different machines in terms of features, targets and selling points from two different generations. AND, the GC's sales were heavily eclipsed by the Wii (which had nearly the same hardware profile). Having the right games at launch and including all the right features in the system completely turned things around. This is exactly what we have with the Switch and it's currently outpacing the Wii more than one month into launch while your data reflects one single week of GC sales.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#124 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

The difference is obviously that GC was only just the games, being just a device that played games and did nothing else at all, while the Switch's popularity obviously has much to do with its hardware.

But we will see. For the Switch to be for real, it needs to keep this pace in the doldrums of the market season.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By emgesp

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@charizard1605 said:

And yet 3DS sold 70 million unitson the back of just Japanese third party support, I'd say it can make up for western support just fine

@manticored said:

He's forgetting also that hardware sales are the least important metric of all, if Switch sold 50 million units, that would only net Nintendo a profit margin of 1 billion dollars, they could make that margin with two video games.

The real money is made via software and accessory sales.

Right (although hardware is a major profit maker for Nintendo)- he's making short sighted assumptions predicated on no knowledge or hard numbers whatsoever.

Yep, I stated that to him as he only thinks that only "Hardcore" Nintendo fans are buying the Switch and Zelda.

Yet when I bring up a point on how parents buy kids an

Mini as their entertainment device for games and youtube, he shrugs off as it doesn't count because an iPad can be use for their homework.

1. Yes, there are exceptions, but the majority buying Switch right now are the hardcore.

2. From a Parent's perspective its pretty easy to understand why they would choose to buy a $329.99 iPad over a $360 Mario Box. And guess what Parents will continue to choose tablets and smartphones in the majority over Nintendo systems for their kids because these days Android and Apple devices is what kids care about, not Nintendo.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 emgesp

@Micropixel said:
@emgesp said:

I know for many people its easy to hype up early Switch sales, but a reminder is in order that early success doesn't guarantee long term success. Keep in mind that while GC shipped during the holiday season it didn't launch with a huge killer app, so don't talk about how amazing the Switch sold considering it shipped in March without taking into consideration the fact that it also launched with a brand new Zelda game.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-reports-record-gamecube-launch/

What pushed early sales of the GC was the news of Resident Evil being exclusive. Otherwise, the GC kinda suffered a lot of the same problems the Wii U did (namely Nintendo's bigger titles coming out too late or near the end of it's generation like Twilight Princess did). The GC is not one of my favorite Nintendo consoles, btw.

Anyway, if you're going to use a piece of history like this to play down Switch sales, you should also mention that these are two completely different machines in terms of features, targets and selling points from two different generations. AND, the GC's sales were heavily eclipsed by the Wii (which had nearly the same hardware profile). Having the right games at launch and including all the right features in the system completely turned things around. This is exactly what we have with the Switch and it's currently outpacing the Wii more than one month into launch while your data reflects one single week of GC sales.

Yeah, I doubt 500K sold in a week because people were hyped to play a game that released 4 months later.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 emgesp

@mariokart64fan said:

@emgesp: but it sorta did launch with a Mario game instead of playing as Mario your Luigi also had a wave race

Oh and Nintendo is making a profit off each switch sold let's not forget that

Which means even if they only sold 25 million switches they'd be rich and I think switch will easily sell 60 million or more because of the portable side of things combined with home console market this thing could be a Wii like success

Sorry, but Luigi is not Mario and it wasn't the 3D platfomer people were waiting for.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By KOD

@emgesp said:

2. From a Parent's perspective its pretty easy to understand why they would choose to buy a $329.99 iPad over a $360 Mario Box. And guess what Parents will continue to choose tablets and smartphones in the majority over Nintendo systems for their kids because these days Android and Apple devices is what kids care about, not Nintendo.

So this is a very good point that most people seem to overlook. There are multiple lines of cheap 60, 70, 80 dollar tablets for kids specifically because no parent wants to invest 2-300 dollars on something that will be dropped over and over.

People have to remember that consoles become successful because of the general consumer, the people who dont know anything. The people who will look at an Android and see it can do gaming and so much more at a better price than a Nintendo Switch... they dont care if Mario Kart 8 is on one and not the other.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The Switch has sold very well thus far. No one can argue to the contrary. What the future hold remains to be seen. I see two things that can help it from launch to the holiday season. First, yes, BOTW is released and it has the season pass which will keep interest for time to come. Second, a killer app will be coming this holiday IF Nintendo releases it free of delay.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 FireEmblem_Man

@kod said:
@emgesp said:

So this is a very good point that most people seem to overlook. There are multiple lines of cheap 60, 70, 80 dollar tablets for kids specifically because no parent wants to invest 2-300 dollars on something that will be dropped over and over.

People have to remember that consoles become successful because of the general consumer, the people who dont know anything. The people who will look at an Android and see it can do gaming and so much more at a better price than a Nintendo Switch... they dont care if Mario Kart 8 is on one and not the other.

Are you kidding me? My Sister-in-law, had choices to buy my niece a cheap tablet, but she went with an iPad Mini because quality mattered to her. A disposable tablet under $100 can't run shit, not even Minecraft.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#131  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

All I want to know is, if the Switch ends up outselling the XBox One, (and let's face it, that's NOT setting the bar very high as things stand) will people finally stop acting like everything the XBox does to spin in place in terms of global market position is a good thing?

Teh western develuhperz have not given this damn thing a leg up so much as a $100-200 year one price adjustment simply pushed competition down. I mean, we'll see if Scorpio resets the table and all, but people act like there is only one way to see things right now and I can see less than 30 million reasons why it doesn't.

Some people drawing lines in the sand have to be bending over awfully low because they talk like they have sticks but they're using their fingers.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By KOD

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Are you kidding me? My Sister-in-law, had choices to buy my niece a cheap tablet, but she went with an iPad Mini because quality mattered to her. A disposable tablet under $100 can't run shit, not even Minecraft.

Again, the average consumer wont care about this and many wont know the difference. They will see that it can run games, they will know many kids have ipads/androids now and they are cheap for any child under 12 who will most likely break it. Who do you think is buying up all those under 80 dollar tablets?

Whether you want to recognize this or not, there will be a fairly large base of potential consumers that will pass on the Switch (a base that did not pass up on the WII) because its not a normal console and their under 12 year old, wants it. They will most likely simply get them one of the cheap tablets or a higher quality one but still half the price of a Switch. Because these people are buying them FOR someone else who could not otherwise afford one, so the concern of the parent will be; will my 400 dollar investment easily break? And of course anyone with a child or who is around children, know that children make the unbreakable, breakable and most attempt to find cheaper options for things they suspect will break.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 FireEmblem_Man

@kod said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Again, the average consumer wont care about this and many wont know the difference. They will see that it can run games, they will know many kids have ipads/androids now and they are cheap for any child under 12 who will most likely break it. Who do you think is buying up all those under 80 dollar tablets?

Whether you want to recognize this or not, there will be a fairly large base of potential consumers that will pass on the Switch (a base that did not pass up on the WII) because its not a normal console and their under 12 year old, wants it. They will most likely simply get them one of the cheap tablets or a higher quality one but still half the price of a Switch. Because these people are buying them FOR someone else who could not otherwise afford one, so the concern of the parent will be; will my 400 dollar investment easily break? And of course anyone with a child or who is around children, know that children make the unbreakable, breakable and most attempt to find cheaper options for things they suspect will break.

Making assumptions again? No, those cheap ass tablets are also a security hazard as they're not the latest Android OS or they can't upgrade even further! Consumers DO care about the quality of the product. If you think families that are averaging above $50,000 a year would buy their kid a cheap knock off, you're kidding yourself. We live in a material world where brand name is everything.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@emgesp: I really don't care how well it sells. I don't have stock in Nintendo. I own a Switch and a 3ds and I love em both.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By KOD

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Making assumptions again? No, those cheap ass tablets are also a security hazard as they're not the latest Android OS or they can't upgrade even further! Consumers DO care about the quality of the product. If you think families that are averaging above $50,000 a year would buy their kid a cheap knock off, you're kidding yourself. We live in a material world where brand name is everything.

Except we are not talking about a demographic buying something for themselves. We are talking about a demographic who buy something for someone, that someone being under 12 and prone to accidents, losing things and breaking things. You keep wanting to bring up things that don't really matter when talking about the general/average consumer. I also feel like youre simply dismissing the American market that has definitely proven cheaper products of the same or similar item, generally sell better.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

families that are averaging above $50,000 a year would buy their kid a cheap knock off, you're kidding yourself. We live in a material world where brand name is everything.

Not so much for the American workers that make less than 50k a year. Which is 65-70% of our working class. Even if we go with this idea that "brand name is everything" that is contradicted with the vary fact that Walmart (the largest retailer in the US and world) sells more cheap brand shit than anything else, But lets not forget we're still talking about Samsung, Amazon, Insignia, etc. recognizable brands.

Who knows though, it could be complete coincidence that the consumer sales for tablets went up about 115% the year after the introduction of the 60-90 dollar tablets. But i dont think anyone would dismiss the idea and most in marketing (having been in marketing myself), would take it far more as fact than not.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By emgesp

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Just proving my point. Parents have no problem spending top dollar when it comes to tablets for their kids, but a $360 Mario machine is a tough sell. Its too damn bad Nintendo didn't partner up with Android and allow the Switch to function as a full fledged tablet as well.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

WiiU sales were abysmal what like less than 15 million world wide . That's a lot of people missing out on games like Mario Maker, Mario Kart, splatoon.

Those games were great, and Mario Kart 8 deluxe is right around the corner and while some may be salty about double dipping, I'll be in crowd of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is my first time playing this. As will many other people. Mario Kart alone will move more Switchs'. Then you'll have E3 and Splatoon 2, but from June to December is going to be the period of time Nintendo needs to work on. Hopefully something is coming maybe a decent 3rd party game drops who knows. That's 6 months of dryness as far as it looks to me. If the sales can stay solid and relevant it will be ok and Switch will have a good launch year. Cause then Mario Odessey happens and while I'm very on the fence about that game, it's still Mario.

I'm hoping to see some good ports between June and December I really want Mario Maker to happen around August/September for that anticipation of a new Mario game.