onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

GameSpot has recently posted its outlier review of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awkening Switch and gave it an 8/10. Other review outlets have given the game a higher score than GameSpot.

IGN – 9.4 / 10

GameSpot – 8 / 10

Game Informer – 9 / 10

USgamer – 5 / 5

GamesRadar – 4.5 / 5

GamesBeat – 95 / 100

Eurogamer – “Essential”

GameXplain – “Liked-a-Lot”

Polygon – N/A

Kotaku – N/A

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

I know Link's Awakening was one of the best Zelda game on a handheld, but it's the least my favorite Zelda of all times and I never finish the Gameboy version back then and never will. Nevertheless, this is unsurprising, but I'm glad to see it receiving praise from reviewers and for those who are looking forward to playing it. That said, I do hope Nintendo makes Oracle of Ages/Seasons and give'em the remake treatment they deserves cause those were my all time favorite handheld Zelda games on Gameboy Color.

(Gonna be a quiet day for the haters here in SW)

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#3 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I don't know if I would call it an outlier review, 8/10 is a good score. Maybe not the reviewers cup of tea.

And in my opinion the Zelda bias needs to stop with game reviews. Just because it says Zelda in the title, does not mean the game should automatically get 9's or 10's.

Case in point, Skyward Sword, a 7 out of 10 AT BEST!

And Twilight princess. An 8 out of 10 at BEST!!!!

I'm sorry but those two Zelda games had a bias going on. They are not perfect games, they are average to good.

And I'm not changing my mind.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Another Zelda game given a free pass.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

It's a nice looking remake but that frame rate looks nauseating.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Nintendo is doing great this year, I can't wait to play through this superb game again tomorrow :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts
@Star67 said:

I don't know if I would call it an outlier review, 8/10 is a good score. Maybe not the reviewers cup of tea.

And in my opinion the Zelda bias needs to stop with game reviews. Just because it says Zelda in the title, does not mean the game should automatically get 9's or 10's.

I'm sorry but those two Zelda games had a bias going on. They are not perfect games, they are average to good.

As a humongous Zelda fan, agreed. SS was a 7/10 at most. TP is a solid 8/10.

About the framerate of Link's Awakening, Nintendo will probably fix that with a patch. They're usually really picky with performance.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Its so refreshing to see Nintendo release new IPs instead of rehashing the same games like some companies. Go Nintendo. :)

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Remember when a Zelda game last scored in the 8 range (8.8, to be exact)? Pepperidge Farm members.

Funnily enough the outrage was far less when SS scored 7.5.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Pedro: “Its so refreshing to see Nintendo release new IPs instead of rehashing the same games like some companies. Go Nintendo. :)”

Lol

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I love Link's Awakening! This was my most favorite gameboy game back when it came out in '93.

That said, I'll probably regret not just replaying the DX version on GBC given the price and the supposed frame rate issues. Oh well I've held off replaying it for this long I might as well go for full buyer's remorse.

I do appreciate the extra detail they added to the scenes though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@Star67 said:

Link's Awakening is now 88 Metascore, it possibly could go 89-90. Skyward Sword wasn't the best Zelda game nor was my favorite, that Wii version was just done very badly. You can tell most of the reviewers are coming from longtime Zelda gamers, would be nice if they branch out more reviewers who aren't true hardcore Zelda fans.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Looks great. If I was not so busy with all of my other games I would consider this, but I simply have too much to play right now so I will have to pass.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@mandzilla said:

Nintendo is doing great this year, I can't wait to play through this superb game again tomorrow :)

I know you love handheld games, so this fits right up in your alley :)

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Pedro said:

Its so refreshing to see Nintendo release new IPs instead of rehashing the same games like some companies. Go Nintendo. :)

That's a load of bias when everyone else is creaming over Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 remakes, treating them like "GOTY contenders."

But hey, who am I to say. Nintendo released one of the most refreshing new IP's this year that you slept on - Astral Chain - and I've been beyond happy with that release as it will probably end up being my GOTY or high up on that list.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Cannot say I take Zelda reviews seriously to be honest, played more or less all of them and they are merely good games.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Star67 said:

Link's Awakening is now 88 Metascore, it possibly could go 89-90. Skyward Sword wasn't the best Zelda game nor was my favorite, that Wii version was just done very badly. You can tell most of the reviewers are coming from longtime Zelda gamers, would be nice if they branch out more reviewers who aren't true hardcore Zelda fans.

Agreed,

Sometime the nostalgia glasses need to be taken off. Skyward Sword is not a 9 or 10 but plenty of review sites gave it those scores.

This doesn't help the consumer nor does it help the developer learn from mistakes

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Another great game for the Switch. I have the DX version on my 3DS and played some of it there and really enjoyed it but I’ll get this new Switch version and play through the whole game that way. Really looking forward to picking this up.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Looks good but review says it’s kinda short so I might just rent for a week.

Why is this $60 when other remakes like Crash and Spyro has 3 games each for $40 and the MediEvil remake is only $30? The $60 price tag of Zelda Links Awakening is really high

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Another overrated Zelda game because reviewers are too scared of being blacklisted by Nintendo to give it a fair score.

The Nintendo bias continues. Remember to minus 2 full points to get the true score of Nintendo games.

On GS, this would be a 6/10 then which makes a hell of a lot more sense because this is a port of one of the worst Zelda games from a handheld.

Reviewers need to stop being fanboys of Nintendo and grow some balls and give honest reviews.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15904 Posts

A zelda title always a 7 for me. Never got the hype with zelda, okami is a much better zelda game. BoTW is a solid 9 though

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@davillain- said:

I know Link's Awakening was one of the best Zelda game on a handheld, but it's the least my favorite Zelda of all times and I never finish the Gameboy version back then and never will. Nevertheless, this is unsurprising, but I'm glad to see it receiving praise from reviewers and for those who are looking forward to playing it. That said, I do hope Nintendo makes Oracle of Ages/Seasons and give'em the remake treatment they deserves cause those were my all time favorite handheld Zelda games on Gameboy Color.

(Gonna be a quiet day for the haters here in SW)

I semi-agree with you. Although I've never played Oracles or Spirit Tracks. Other than Zelda 2, I found Link's Awakening to be the worst. Some of my issues with it:

1. Sword, shield, gloves, and boots all having to be equipped and unequipped. So much pausing!

2. An overworld that is almost never fun to explore, get lost easily. So many times I would be lost, try everywhere, and could never find where I had to go.

3. Trading sequence gates progression.

This is looking better though. Definitely with the equips. I hope the game can do a better job of leading you to where you need to go without holding your hand the whole way through.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@jaydan: I was being facetious.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jaydan

@Pedro said:

@jaydan: I was being facetious.

For real though, why you sleeping on Astral Chain?

I know you're not the biggest Switch fan but you are open to playing games on it since you own the system. If there's one Switch game in all of 2019 I think you should give a chance, I think you should give Astral Chain that chance.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Do not like what they have done with the graphics. This is far and away my fave zelda game but would have preferred a different look that tried to emulate the original better.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@jaydan: I didn’t care for Nier Automata or the Bayonetta games. Highly doubt I’d like Astral Chain

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

So Arkham Origins gets low score for being 'more of the same' (more of the best Batman game ever) and that gets a 6. But remakes, remasters, yearly updates and full priced sports updates often score high?

Still salty about this logic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@jaydan said:

For real though, why you sleeping on Astral Chain?

I know you're not the biggest Switch fan but you are open to playing games on it since you own the system. If there's one Switch game in all of 2019 I think you should give a chance, I think you should give Astral Chain that chance.

Then I would. :)

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jaydan

@jcrame10 said:

@jaydan: I didn’t care for Nier Automata or the Bayonetta games. Highly doubt I’d like Astral Chain

I do not want to be one to potentially mislead your expectations, but I find Astral Chain to be a slight departure of the expected Platinum Games formula.

While sure, Astral Chain will ultimately do the Platinum thing by throwing absurdly large enemy encounters your way, the game also does a lot of new things for the studio that defines a greater sense of being an adventure game as well.

It has superior combat mechanics to Nier: Automata and it is more fleshed out as an adventure game than Bayonetta.

I am pretty sure once the Switch's lifespan is all said and done - and we can reflect on its library of games - I'm pretty sure Astral Chain will become one of those gems that a lot of people will remember as one of the console's niche standouts.

If you're a hesitant Switch owner, I'd say give it a chance at least when you see it going down in price.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Can't wait to pick this up today!!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Nice. Definitely gonna pick this up on pay day.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22628 Posts

Haven't bought a day 1 Zelda in a while so I preordered this one. Gonna try and have my way with it and roll right into Witcher 3 in October.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22628 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Wow! That's cool. What is the Gameboy piece?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01

@TheEroica: It's a steelbook case :)

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Buying this one.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Man that frame rate really sucks.

And turn off that DoF!

Just give me access to the damn settings. There's really no excuse on modern consoles to not offer some level of adjustment.

At least they've given the inventory a nice update. The directional control is a little weird, but I guess makes sense in the context of the GB. They should have at least made the d-pad work. Ideally it would have more modern directional freedom overall though - I don't see why it can't work in the new engine.

I'd give it a solid 7/10 until they fix the performance. Could have used a few more months in development.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

The framerate gives me cause for pause but I'm going to end up buying this regardless.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts
@davillain- said:
@mandzilla said:

I know you love handheld games, so this fits right up in your alley :)

Absolutely! It came in the post today, so that's my evening sorted :D

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

This game has the same score as FIFA 2k20 LUL

How much did EA pay Gamespot?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

@pyro1245: Considering how much of the game relies on movement precision with the Roc's Feather, I think the directional movement is handled really well.

Anyway, I'm just over half-way through it, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The base game is as good as it always was, and the new art and music are really quite charming.

Hero Mode adds a very interesting dynamic to the game (enemies do double damage, nothing drops hearts), which adds some necessary tension to the combat - the original game was probably a bit too easy.

The dungeon designer is also quite fun, especially when combined with hero mode.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

friggin gamespot man always lowballing games by 1 point this game is a flat out 9/10

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

friggin gamespot man always lowballing games by 1 point this game is a flat out 9/10

Except, it performs pretty bad atm.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I'll pick it up eventually. Hopefully they patch the framerate issues. I'm working my way through Fire Emblem and Pokemon Sword/Luigi's Mansion 3 are higher priorities for me than this so I'm in no rush.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15904 Posts

@getyeryayasout: welcome to 2019.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: Year: 2019.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Played a bit of this tonight and I like it. When I first saw this game’s reveal I wasn’t exactly sold on its visual style but actually playing the game I find it pretty appealing. I just love the soundtracks of the Zelda games and I always feel a bit of joy playing them. This one is no different. So far I haven’t really noticed the technical flaws that have been mentioned elsewhere however I’m not really all that sensitive to those things like some other people may be. I played the DX version briefly so I am remembering these early moments. Looking forward to playing through the whole game this time.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01

@Archangel3371 said:

Played a bit of this tonight and I like it. When I first saw this game’s reveal I wasn’t exactly sold on its visual style but actually playing the game I find it pretty appealing. I just love the soundtracks of the Zelda games and I always feel a bit of joy playing them. This one is no different. So far I haven’t really noticed the technical flaws that have been mentioned elsewhere however I’m not really all that sensitive to those things like some other people may be. I played the DX version briefly so I am remembering these early moments. Looking forward to playing through the whole game this time.

The framerate is pretty bad at times, but it hasn't stopped me from really enjoying it... I'm nearly at the end :)