League of Legends is now at over 100 million monthly active players

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Lucianu (10347 posts) -

The last estimate which was a few years ago put the player base at around 67 million monthly active players, and now the latest figure is in at over 100 million. League of Legends was released 7 years ago, to pull numbers like this is nothing short of insanity. [source] [source]

To give a comparison, DOTA 2, the second most popular MOBA game, is at 13 million monthly active players.Holy shit.

I enjoyed League of Legends for quite some time, I used to play a couple of matches each day after work because it was fun to relax and vent off the built up frustration. Yeah, there's the shit community, but that never bothered me. I always found it funny as all hell, actually, especially wen you got some illiterates that tried to curse in English, that cracked me up.

But I eventually quit, and never looked back. The thing is, it's cool wen you lose a match and you know that you did some mistakes that you could research and rectify in future matches. I enjoyed reviewing lost matches and understanding my mistake, learning how to adapt differently and fundamentally improve. What's not cool is wen you've got a few shit heads on your team (trolls, afk'ers, stubborn idiots, etc.) that make you lose. A match can take a long time, and losing can be soul crushing, especially because of the above mentioned.

#2 Posted by k--m--k (2795 posts) -

vent off built up frustration by playing league? That a weird way to vent off, especially when the game is frustrating.

#3 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11690 posts) -

Dota 2 and Heroes of the Storm are better anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
#4 Posted by deactivated-583c85dc33d18 (1619 posts) -

Console gaming is dead

#5 Edited by lordlors (6128 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

The last estimate which was a few years ago put the player base at around 67 million monthly active players, and now the latest figure is in at over 100 million. League of Legends was released 7 years ago, to pull numbers like this is nothing short of insanity. [source] [source]

To give a comparison, DOTA 2, the second most popular MOBA game, is at 13 million monthly active players.Holy shit.

I enjoyed League of Legends for quite some time, I used to play a couple of matches each day after work because it was fun to relax and vent off the built up frustration. Yeah, there's the shit community, but that never bothered me. I always found it funny as all hell, actually, especially wen you got some illiterates that tried to curse in English, that cracked me up.

But I eventually quit, and never looked back. The thing is, it's cool wen you lose a match and you know that you did some mistakes that you could research and rectify in future matches. I enjoyed reviewing lost matches and understanding my mistake, learning how to adapt differently and fundamentally improve. What's not cool is wen you've got a few shit heads on your team (trolls, afk'ers, stubborn idiots, etc.) that make you lose. A match can take a long time, and losing can be soul crushing, especially because of the above mentioned.

Go try SC2. It's focused on 1v1. If you lose that's entirely on you. There aren't much shit heads and trash talking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#6 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

I'm always dubious when League of Legends releases their playerbase numbers.... they just throw a number out, no active counter to be monitored.

Even their official twich channel has been proven to have view bots. You watch any of their tournement live streams and the chat is so slow compared to other big games (CS GO, DoTA etc) ... no its not a culture thing, its more like less people are watching.

Skewed numbers imo.

#7 Posted by robokill (1392 posts) -

Defo skewed numbers. The active base is probably around 5-6 million, 20 million once a month players, millions of alts, inactives.

#8 Posted by avenger85 (250 posts) -

LoL is a lot of fun but the communitie is the most toxic I've ever seen.

As much as people bash it I find heroes of the storm way more appealing to play ( but I'm pretty casual lol)!

#9 Posted by SOedipus (11578 posts) -

That is one game I could not get into solely based on the community.

#10 Posted by N64DD (11989 posts) -

@ShadowDeathX said:

Dota 2 is shit, and HOTS is hilariously bad.

I've played league since beta. If anybody in here wants to ever Aram with me, i play with a lot of riot staff and a few pro players. User name in game is simply...Mario. Add me.

#11 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1321 posts) -

It's f2p, what do you expect? Probably 40% of those numbers are inactive/smurfs/alts.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#12 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

Dota 2 is more complex than league, its only shit if you cant play complex games. We have micro intensive heroes and high skill cap characters like invoker, meepo, beastmaster, earth spirit.

League has easy skillshot heroes and less mechanics.

Theres a reason why league's competitive scene is not as popular dotas. Dota has better prize pools and we dont have frking valve telling casters and the pros they cant stream. In fact ive heard in the news that casters at the internationals make more money in a freaking week than a caster whos been working in the league scene for 6 months.

#13 Posted by Howmakewood (5962 posts) -

Poor mans dota, it only makes sense its popular, just like rest of the games these days, dum it down enough and the people with attention span of 3year old will love it.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#14 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

@jasonofa36 said:

It's f2p, what do you expect? Probably 40% of those numbers are inactive/smurfs/alts.

You understand that people buy items from ingame and no way smurf make another account and buy game second time with heroes and items. Smurfs does not count since it says active every month which means you can't use 2 account at the same time when you smurf. When you smurf, you delete old one and play with new one forever. No idiot make and play with 5 account at the same time.

#15 Posted by N64DD (11989 posts) -

@shadowchronicle said:

Dota 2 is more complex than league, its only shit if you cant play complex games. We have micro intensive heroes and high skill cap characters like invoker, meepo, beastmaster, earth spirit.

Theres a reason why league's competitive scene is not as popular dotas. Dota has better prize pools and we dont have frking valve telling casters and the pros they cant stream. In fact ive heard in the news that casters at the internationals make more money in a freaking week than a caster whos been working in the league scene for 6 months.

Dota's competitive scene sucks compared to LoL's. Your statements are laughable.

#16 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@Lucianu: MAster Race

#17 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@ShadowDeathX said:

@n64dd said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

I've played league since beta. If anybody in here wants to ever Aram with me, i play with a lot of riot staff and a few pro players. User name in game is simply...Mario. Add me.

+1

DOTA 2 is not shit , is just different and it has its moments therefore and alot of E-sport activity each and every day. HOTS is the epic shit and thats why it failed to appeal to E-sport community.

#18 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@shadowchronicle said:

Dota's competitive scene sucks compared to LoL's. Your statements are laughable.

Nah , youre not following the scene , is far from sucky. HOTSs is sucky

#19 Edited by Maroxad (15287 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

Dota 2 has more depth, is more balanced, itemization is far more varied with much better effects, has every hero unlocked from the get go, better skill design.

Due to the lack of runes, switching between heroes is a breeze and doesnt require as much of a time investment to play as a new hero for terrible reasons. Due to the fact that the heroes are much better balanced, you see much more diverse picks. Due to how the itemization works, where instead of having one optimal build with some slight variatinos here and there with players often picking up items to counter the opposing item builds, you get much more varied builds per hero. All of these contribute to a much deeper, much more challenging, much more rewarding and perhaps most importantly a much more varied game.

#20 Posted by loe12k (3425 posts) -

@robokill said:

Defo skewed numbers. The active base is probably around 5-6 million, 20 million once a month players, millions of alts, inactives.

Its possible you can download the game without Steam. So i would not be surprised if the userbase is that high? But end of the day we will not for sure.

#21 Posted by Litchie (24336 posts) -

Ew, MOBA games.

#22 Posted by thepclovingguy (2059 posts) -

Crap game with a very toxic community.

#23 Edited by carlquincy (391 posts) -

Dota 2k MMR Master Race reporting in.

#24 Posted by 360ru13r (1849 posts) -

To be fair about those numbers the game is free. And people love free stuff.

#25 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

Guys stop fighting. DOTA and LOL both suck ass. Everyone knows Smite is the true MOBA king.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (58244 posts) -

I have fun playing. I love dominating mid with Morgana

#27 Edited by N64DD (11989 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Guys stop fighting. DOTA and LOL both suck ass. Everyone knows Smite is the true MOBA king.

Go home, you're drunk.

#28 Posted by Shawty_Beatz (1269 posts) -

I've played LoL for years but it ended up being too frustrating for me so I quit. Impressive nonetheless though.

#29 Posted by Shawty_Beatz (1269 posts) -

@360ru13r said:

To be fair about those numbers the game is free. And people love free stuff.

That doesn't mean anything. If the game wasn't good then it wouldn't be the most played game in the world. Not even WoT or Doto can touch it.

#30 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@shadowchronicle said:

You clearly haven't seen the international's prize pool or the production value. Dota 2's competitive scene is probably the best competitive scene in esports right now, the highest earning esports players are mostly dota players.

#31 Posted by N64DD (11989 posts) -

@shadowchronicle said:
@n64dd said:
@shadowchronicle said:

You clearly haven't seen the international's prize pool or the production value. Dota 2's competitive scene is probably the best competitive scene in esports right now, the highest earning esports players are mostly dota players.

LOL i'm done.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#32 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

@n64dd said:
@shadowchronicle said:

... you've got to be shitting me. one thing to be a fanboy... another to be blind.

#33 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

@n64dd: you dont have anything to back up your statement either

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

top 29 are dota players

#34 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -

I stick with Dota 2 and probably sink another 2500 hours into it. I just can't see myself ever going back to League.