Last of Us voted best game ever by Empire Online readers

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@handssss said:

@roler42 said:

GTA V ahead of RDR... LOL

RDR is a bit of a more fresh experience since nobody ever really did a good western game that was open world like that, but overall gameplay probably wasn't as varied GTA. Story obviously great and I loved hunting and many other elements, but towards the end, I just found myself using the campfires to skip around everywhere too much cause I got tired of riding for several minutes to get to a place on a horse just to start a mission where you begin with a 5 minute horse ride where John and someone else talk back and forth.

GTA has just so much damn stuff to do and everything is more densely populated with life. And seriously, they struck gold with the 3 playable protagonists thing.

I honestly didn't think GTA V was all that great.

There wasn't anything compelling to do once you were done with the story. And they changed the driving....that sucked. The driving GTA V is on "easy as hell" mode.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

HL2 won game of the decade...

Multiplat...

So it's not a PC game? You just moved a goal-post again in favor of a hated SW troll....No where did he mention exclusive. Many PC games , multiplat or exclusive, take best in SHOW on a yearly basis for different awards. As PC gets the most high scoring titles every year, such an accomplishment isn't very hard. He was wrong. Flat out. There is no debating this. Stop defending idiots like Huggles, M3Dude, PS4NoGames in every thread they post in. Everyone laughs at them, and now everyone is starting to laugh at you.

You should just stop being so cryptic and go full troll, it'd actually be less annoying.

So much dumbassness with this post.

All of a sudden exclusives don't matter....you were wrong....admit it.

As for everyone laughing at me....I couldn't care less. Frankly....I find it insulting that you're trying to discredit me only after I've called you out twice now for going into threads that you, honestly, have no business being in....and hailing the PC.

It's annoying and PC gamers wonder why ppl hate them. I just remembered....you go so far as to straight up lie about ppl just to make your arugment look better.

It's pathetic. You give PC gaming fans a bad name.

You not once mentioned exclusives in the previous quote chain.

You and Cranler, universally hated goons, both lied and lost the argument fair and square.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Multiplat...

So it's not a PC game? You just moved a goal-post again in favor of a hated SW troll....No where did he mention exclusive. Many PC games , multiplat or exclusive, take best in SHOW on a yearly basis for different awards. As PC gets the most high scoring titles every year, such an accomplishment isn't very hard. He was wrong. Flat out. There is no debating this. Stop defending idiots like Huggles, M3Dude, PS4NoGames in every thread they post in. Everyone laughs at them, and now everyone is starting to laugh at you.

You should just stop being so cryptic and go full troll, it'd actually be less annoying.

As for everyone laughing at me....I couldn't care less. Frankly....I find it insulting that you're trying to discredit me only after I've called you out twice now for going into threads that you, honestly, have no business being in....and hailing the PC.

It's annoying and PC gamers wonder why ppl hate them. I just remembered....you go so far as to straight up lie about ppl just to make your arugment look better.

You and Cranler, universally hated goons, both lied and lost the argument fair and square.

Please point out where I lied. And what argument did I lose? All I did in this forum is point out that the hermits most beloved action game is a multiplat.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Multiplat...

Please point out where I lied. And what argument did I lose? All I did in this forum is point out that the hermits most beloved action game is a multiplat.

I can point out tons of random things that have nothing to do with the post to wreck console kids too, as PC wins every gen, stay on topic and stop defending trolls.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

Robo has not one ounce of creativity or originality in his brain.

I call him a liar for lying about me.....he calls me a liar. This isn't the first time this has happened with him.

Around the end of the first week I started posting I called him out saying I have to watch out for his idiocy trolling and desperate PC praise attempts....now he's dubbing me as the forum outcast or something.

It's quite pathetic.

To get back to the topic:

TLoU is an exclusive....HL2 is not. Tis the point.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Multiplat...

I can point out tons of random things that have nothing to do with the post to wreck console kids too, as PC wins every gen, stay on topic and stop defending trolls.

Still waiting for you to prove your accusations.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@RR360DD said:

TLOU would definitely be in my top 10. Really happy to see Shenmue up there too

are you high right now? I'd expect you to say something like TLOU is in your top 1 000 or even top 10 000.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@mr_huggles_dog said:

That never was the point. You first stated HL2 was out of the spotlight when it won game of the decade over TLOU.

Then you said PC games don't win awards of shows, even though they do.... You keep getting proven wrong,

Keep making those troll alts because PC is stomping the competition every gen. I heard if you make enough, it might actually change the outcome.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#160 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Idiots don't know how to delete quote chains.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

That never was the point. You first stated HL2 was out of the spotlight when it won game of the decade over TLOU.

Then you said PC games don't win awards of shows, even though they do.... You keep getting proven wrong,

Keep making those troll alts because PC is stomping the competition every gen. I heard if you make enough, it might actually change the outcome.

i really don't agree with that game winning any game of generation awards, but even if I ran with that, why is TLOU even lumped into the same generation? HL2 came out in 2004. That's xbox/ps2 era. If we end it at 2010, that's game of the decade and if that were the case, TLOU outta be for consideration in a different set as well.

The only way any of this is makes any sense is if you cheat and use the episodes for HL2 which bumps the game into last being relevant in 2007. Of course, you don't even really need the original to play those.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Mr_Huggles_dog

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Actually that was the point. I made that comment so I know what I was talking about.

I just forgot that HL2 wasn't even exclusive....it was so long ago. I was pointing out the fact that PC is suppose to have all these great games....yet here we are with everyone saying TLoU, which is a console excslusive, is the best of last gen.

Then to add insult to injury....HL2 which was considered the greatest game ever by PC gamers....isn't even a PC exclusive.

I was just saying that you guys must be pretty upset that PC exclusives get no awards like that.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I was just saying that you guys must be pretty upset that PC exclusives get no awards like that.

1. You just changed the parameters. You never said exclusives.

2. PC exclusives get plenty of awards.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Mr_Huggles_dog

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

1. I made the parameters I should know

2. I'm done with you

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#165 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

2. I'm done with you

you never mentioned exclusives. You were the one who specifically mentioned HL2

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

You must be upset that Half Life 2 is no longer in the spot light.

It's been so long since PC had a great game take best in show....ever. And for reference....GS gave MGS4 which was 12 hours of half cutscenes and half game a perfect 10. So GS scores are not very reliable.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

TLOU is video game trash. That list is full of so many bad games.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: and on top of it, Robo isn't really a PC gamer. He just says he is.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@lostrib: HL2 won game of the decade..."

Game of all time > game of the decade

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#169 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

While I wholeheartedly disagree, it is a very good game (mainly due to the "Winter" section of the game)

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

How is shit like Shenmue, a game that has no gameplay or story, ranked higher than Silent Hill 2.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 lostrib

@amazonangry said:

you do realize I don't really care right?

Though it obviously depends who you ask

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@amazonangry said:

"game of all time from a random wesbite" that holds a lot of weight in any discussion.

But hey,you like to grasp at straws

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I got an Xbone towards the end of last year and put all my focus into that and PS+ games, so just got around to getting Beyond and TLOU. I played Beyond first and was impressed with that game, so I'm now looking forward to starting TLOU if it truly is a GOAT contender then awesome.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

2. I'm done with you

you never mentioned exclusives. You were the one who specifically mentioned HL2

Are you talkin' again??!?

Who said you could talk again!?!?

Thats it....no treat for you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog: so no actual argument? I guess that means you concede the point

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#176 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Question: What is Empire? :P

it's a movie magazine mainly

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#177  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Heh that list is all over the place. Seems fitting to have TLoU at the top, I guess it reflects the popular opinion in gaming. Cinematic experience with lots of cut scenes and average gameplay.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@amazonangry said:

HL2 won game of the decade over TLOU and has a higher Metacritic average, and most importantly scored higher here and won more awards here.

That beind said, @mr_huggles_dog brought up HL2 ...not me. Then when he got owned, he changed subjects to "exclusives" with the help of Cranler....even though the word had not been mentioned in the entire quote chain.

You trolls are annoying. The OP is still correct.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#179  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@RR360DD said:

TLOU would definitely be in my top 10. Really happy to see Shenmue up there too

are you high right now? I'd expect you to say something like TLOU is in your top 1 000 or even top 10 000.

not even lems can resist the greatness that is TLOU.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By lostrib

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@amazonangry said:

HL2 won game of the decade over TLOU and has a higher Metacritic average, and scored higher here.

That being said, Huggles was wrong on both accounts. He then changed subjects to exclusives to get himself out of his troll hole.

While it did win game of the decade at many places, I'm pretty sure it didn't go up against TLOU

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

It's a very impressive game, but hell no. I wouldn't even put it in my top 5 games of 2013. It might take the 6th spot though

It would probably fit in my top ten, but I agree, no way it would be my number 1 pick.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#182 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I am way out of the mainstream loop. I say TLOU is one of the best of 2013. But GOTY to me was GTA5. And I had just as much fun on splinter cell backlist as I did on TLOU.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Mr_Huggles_dog

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog: so no actual argument? I guess that means you concede the point

If I tell you, you won the argument....will you throw a party?

It's been a while since I've been to a mind blowing party...and I wanna go to one.

MusicSports

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By MusicSports
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I will admit, im more of a cynical gamer. When a game has flaws I will tear the game apart for it

But even as cynical as am, I still ended up loving the Last of Us. Thats when you know a game is special lol

I especially LOVED the gameplay. The combat is deep, brutal, intense, dynamic, and I can keep going on

After finishing Last of Us its been hard to play other games again, because they all seem so shitty by comparison now. Naughty Dog raised the bar that high in gameplay and in story with the Last of Us. NO other game/developer has even come close Or has ever been close

The Last of Us might just be the best game ive ever played in my life and Im not even kidding.

Well deserved Naughty Dog:) Best developer in gaming without a doubt.

On second thought, Last of Us is my best game of all time!

p.s

Going off topic, its a beatiful thing that Sony always lets Naughty Dog do their thing and make the games they want to make while supporting unconditionally.

Naughty Dog + Sony is like peanut butter + jelly and = GREATNESS

I was thinking about it the other day, thats probably why Playstation exclusives are always some of the best games of their generations, because Sony gives their first parties all the time, money, and freedom to make the games they want to make as best as they can. Naughty Dog is simply the best developer in gaming period, while also having Sony's unconditional support. Think of it like boxing, Its like the BEST and most talented fighter having the best gym and trainers.

MusicSports

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By MusicSports
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Watch this and enjoy!

Loading Video...

"A picture Is worth a thousand words"

In that 22 seconds of gameplay alone, it felt like "a thousand words" were said about just how great the combat is

The brutality, intensity, the dynamic nature of it etc

The player throws a brick. It hits with such brutal impact. That noise too! (PLOP!) It staggers the enemy (Notice how the enemey has a cut on his head from the brick afterwards and is bleeding. Man them small details!)

It gives a window of oppurtunity to move or do something!

The combat in Last of Us is very dynamic and multi-faceted so another player couldve used that moment to line up the perfect shot or he couldve ran away, naturally lost the enemy via organic stealth, snuck into hiding, and played cat and mouse with the enemey; luring the enemy around with throws/distractions (the stealth in Last of Us was amazing too btw - most natural and adpative stealth ever)

But here the player decides to chain a running dash to meele combo off it

It all flows smoother then hot melting butter (Pulling off combos like that in Last of Us feels soo damn good. In particular, Brick throw to running pipe smash is seriously one of the most sastisfying gameplay sensations ever!)

The players' punches hit with emph! and knock the enemy backward. (The weighty-ness, responsiveness, and feedback in the combat, whether meele or shooting guns is all unmatched in Last of Us. Naughty Dog are fantastic gameplay designers)

But look at how the enemy gets up and punches the player back! It knocks the player backward. Holy snaps, its starting to feel like an intense struggle !

The player improvises, pulls out his gun and creates space by jaming the butt of the gun into the enemy.

Now this is important, NOTICE how once the enemy A.I sees the player has a gun, the enemy A.I pulls out his own gun and quickly shoots the player(proof of great A.I).The shot bucks the player backward. The player close to dying manages to fire off his own shot which completely blows the enemies face off. The gunplay in Last of Us is in a class of its own (the feedback, hit detection, real world consequence etc its unmatched)

I mean holy snaps!!!

That little encounter played like an intense strugle between life and death for survival...no scripting, no cutscene....it all happened via his gameplay through his inputs and actions. Its a shame some people take all those little things for granted which make it all possible. Naughty Dog's gameplay designers deserve so much more credit. Naughty Dog ARE the best gameplay/and TPS designers in gaming too...

And guess what? That video is just a very small sampling of the many more dynamic, larger scale, more intense combat encounters you have in Last of Us depending on how you play. Thats why the Last of Us has the best pure combat of any game Ive ever played. No other game even comes close to capturing the same levels of intensity or feelings of survival that Naughty Dog with Last of Us flawlessly captures with its combat

Furter more, the core combat greatness in Last of Us is interwoven with meaningful real time crafting and item resource managment. Its bananas! No other game plays like the Last of Us or plays as good

Now, here is a gif showcasing just the gunplay in Last of Us.

Look at the impact, look at that ragdoll !

Here is another gif showcasing a "this is sparta kick"

LOL Haha. Yes, in Last of Us you can also sparta kick dudes off high places!!!

There just so much you can do with the combat in Last of Us (even set traps and lure enemies into them with distractions lol or even lure multiple enemies into one area with distractions then molotov them all to hell)

All in all, The Last of Us has friggen AMAZABALLS combat gameplay; combat gameplay that is also innovative and ambitiously designed (more examples of that are one hit Clicker kills, scarce ammo, and bullets that actually stop you in your tracks forcing you to play smarter) Lets show more appreciation for the hard work Naughty Dog gameplay designers put into this game. They deserve better. The greatness of the gameplay and in how its perfectly complimented by the story and vice versa is what makes The Last of Us one of the greatest games ever made. Last of Us is MY greatest game of all time. Lets turn this thread into a positive direction. Share some of the awesome moments youve had with the combat in Last of Us

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#186 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I'm willing to bet it doesn't get close to the top of my personal list, but I really need to get around to playing it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#187  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@musicsports said:

Watch this and enjoy!

Loading Video...

"A picture Is worth a thousand words"

In that 22 seconds of gameplay alone, it felt like "a thousand words" were said about just how great the combat is

The brutality, intensity, the dynamic nature of it etc

The player throws a brick. It hits with such brutal impact. That noise too! (PLOP!) It staggers the enemy (Notice how the enemey has a cut on his head from the brick afterwards and is bleeding. Man them small details!)

It gives a window of oppurtunity to move or do something!

The combat in Last of Us is very dynamic and multi-faceted so another player couldve used that moment to line up the perfect shot or he couldve ran away, naturally lost the enemy via organic stealth, snuck into hiding, and played cat and mouse with the enemey; luring the enemy around with throws/distractions (the stealth in Last of Us was amazing too btw - most natural and adpative stealth ever)

But here the player decides to chain a running dash to meele combo off it

It all flows smoother then hot melting butter (Pulling off combos like that in Last of Us feels soo damn good. In particular, Brick throw to running pipe smash is seriously one of the most sastisfying gameplay sensations ever!)

The players' punches hit with emph! and knock the enemy backward. (The weighty-ness, responsiveness, and feedback in the combat, whether meele or shooting guns is all unmatched in Last of Us. Naughty Dog are fantastic gameplay designers)

But look at how the enemy gets up and punches the player back! It knocks the player backward. Holy snaps, its starting to feel like an intense struggle !

The player improvises, pulls out his gun and creates space by jaming the butt of the gun into the enemy.

Now this is important, NOTICE how once the enemy A.I sees the player has a gun, the enemy A.I pulls out his own gun and quickly shoots the player(proof of great A.I).The shot bucks the player backward. The player close to dying manages to fire off his own shot which completely blows the enemies face off. The gunplay in Last of Us is in a class of its own (the feedback, hit detection, real world consequence etc its unmatched)

I mean holy snaps!!!

That little encounter played like an intense strugle between life and death for survival...no scripting, no cutscene....it all happened via his gameplay through his inputs and actions. Its a shame some people take all those little things for granted which make it all possible. Naughty Dog's gameplay designers deserve so much more credit. Naughty Dog ARE the best gameplay/and TPS designers in gaming too...

And guess what? That video is just a very small sampling of the many more dynamic, larger scale, more intense combat encounters you have in Last of Us depending on how you play. Thats why the Last of Us has the best pure combat of any game Ive ever played. No other game even comes close to capturing the same levels of intensity or feelings of survival that Naughty Dog with Last of Us flawlessly captures with its combat

Furter more, the core combat greatness in Last of Us is interwoven with meaningful real time crafting and item resource managment. Its bananas! No other game plays like the Last of Us or plays as good

Now, here is a gif showcasing just the gunplay in Last of Us.

Look at the impact, look at that ragdoll !

Here is another gif showcasing a "this is sparta kick"

LOL Haha. Yes, in Last of Us you can also sparta kick dudes off high places!!!

There just so much you can do with the combat in Last of Us (even set traps and lure enemies into them with distractions lol or even lure multiple enemies into one area with distractions then molotov them all to hell)

All in all, The Last of Us has friggen AMAZABALLS combat gameplay; combat gameplay that is also innovative and ambitiously designed (more examples of that are one hit Clicker kills, scarce ammo, and bullets that actually stop you in your tracks forcing you to play smarter) Lets show more appreciation for the hard work Naughty Dog gameplay designers put into this game. They deserve better. The greatness of the gameplay and in how its perfectly complimented by the story and vice versa is what makes The Last of Us one of the greatest games ever made. Last of Us is MY greatest game of all time. Lets turn this thread into a positive direction. Share some of the awesome moments youve had with the combat in Last of Us

Exactly, Halflife 2 better.