Lack of Gay Options "A Shame," Says BioWare Producer

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Lack of Gay Character Options in RPGs "A Shame," Says BioWare Producer

BioWare producer Cameron Lee announced at Gamescom not only that Dragon Age: Inquisition would feature same-sex romance options but that the resistance to including them in games is baffling to him.

BioWare's Cameron Lee, a producer currently working on Dragon Age: Inquisition, had some very specific words at Gamescom yesterday in support of same-sex romance in games. "It's an important topic," said Lee, as reported by VG247. Not only would same-sex romance be included in Inquisition, but resistance to its inclusion within the game industry is puzzling to him. Lee continued:

"It goes back to fantasy fulfilment. Your fantasies may be different to mine in terms of gender, sexuality, race, class, how you look, all these things. We're not going to force you to be a fixed character, that you have to be this male guy that runs through the world and looks a certain way, walks a certain way. We even give you choices of voices.

"So why picking a gender or sexuality is an issue is beyond me. We have the technology to do it, and we have for a long time, so why not let your fantasy be different?"

Inclusion is "at the core of RPGs, and I think it's a shame that more games don't allow you to have that freedom," he added. BioWare, previously infamous for the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy, has actually been generating quite a big of goodwill recently with Inquisition. Their prominent inclusion of the female version of the game's main character, the Inquisitor, in promotional material resulted in fans gifting the studio dozens of cupcakes.

For more on the latest Dragon Age game, check out the most recent trailer, which includes some surprise cameos from other characters in the series. The game, which was recently delayed, is scheduled to launch on Nov. 18 for PC, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136868-Lack-of-Gay-Characters-in-RPGS-A-Shame-Says-BioWare-Producer

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

"Lack of good options" - Me when looking at a list of Bioware games

They should stop trying to shoehorn in gay, lesbian, trans, proto, cis, and asexual relations into their games, and just worry about making good characters and good stories.............and good games as well.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

There's no need to push the gay agenda on mostly straight gamers. Their focus is all wrong.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@papatrop said:

They should stop trying to shoehorn in gay, lesbian, trans, proto, cis, and asexual relations into their games, and just worry about making good characters and good stories.............and good games as well.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Well how the **** are you going to include them. Let's be honest, Bioware has some pretty bizarre choices in their writing (can't write in movies, so next best option...) and I don't see how them, or most other game writers can handle sexuality with the nuance, subtlety, and attention it deserves.

The resistance comes from the botched attempts and no guarantees we'll get something better next time. If the world's 99% calm with straight characters, it only makes sense that a genre where artists are so insistent on repetition of what worked before go with the status quo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

If a game is pimping itself out on the players abilities to dictate the flow of the story and create a character to represent themselves, and the game wants to tackle sexual situations: then yes, in that context Bioware dude is right. It's kind of silly for a 21st century, in the year 2014 video game company to present that kind of fiction, and not have an option.

Now if Bioware is trying to sell their game on "we have gay sex in our game", well in that situation it's fucking shady. You aren't being progressive, standing up for a cause, or showing that you value equality, you're trivializing it. Congrats.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Bigboi500 said:

There's no need to push the gay agenda on mostly straight gamers. Their focus is all wrong.

You're an idiot if that's what you took from what he said. They aren't forcing the agenda on anyone, the point is they are having the option for those players that will play their game that are gay.

Shit was written in plain and simple English.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

then put it in your games and shut up about it already

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

So tired of all this crap...

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

push the gay agenda on straight gamers? well..that doesn't some the least bit homophobic

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

How about less fanfic romance sub-plots and more quality main-plot writing?

Maybe write in characters that are homosexual or transgendered and give them meaningful development and backgrounds that don't make us see them as objects of digital pleasure (most of the female romance options in ME2 and 3 were highly underdeveloped in other regards outside of the romance sub-plots)?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

If you're going to have romance options with your team then yes they should have the option for their to be gay relationships. The only problem I have with Bioware's recent take on it (ME3) is that you have sexual tension with each of your team whether you're wanting that or not. So I agree that the option is a great thing, they just need better writers.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I would love to play as gay master chief, gay mario, or gay kratos.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shielder7
@papatrop said:

I think those days are long behind "bi"oware unless the character has some sort of LGBT agenda they don't see to want to write about them.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bigboi500

There's no denying Bioware is pushing their politics on gamers when it isn't needed. You don't see camera companies trying to sell to the Amish, you don't see rehab center adds in middle schools.

It's obvious because these gay scenes and options in Bioware games are there with no point or depth. They're there just for voyeurism and nothing more. They aren't helping gay rights or doing anything progressive for the small amounts of gay gamers who play them. The same can be said for their portrayals of straight romances too. They're only doing this crap for attention and nothing more.

So many mindless parrots today jump down people's throats just for voicing anything that isn't a commonly accepted scripted response that is politically correct. As long as that kind of idiotic reactionary response dominates the conversation, real dialog can't happen. All the insulting and generic "homophobe" dramatic responses are ignorant and shallow.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

My question would be why?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shielder7
@jg4xchamp said:

@Bigboi500 said:

You're an idiot if that's what you took from what he said. They aren't forcing the agenda on anyone, the point is they are having the option for those players that will play their game that are gay.

Constantly throwing it in peoples faces, obviously focusing in on it and lets face it down right barging about it while drawing attention to themselves about it is forcing the agenda.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Having options is always welcomed.

But I have to say I'm shocked to see the answers of some posters in this thread.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Bigboi500: that's how I feel on the topic as well.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

This is my problem with Bioware's implementation of homosexuality in games.

Hearsay_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hearsay_
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Bigboi500: Straight games? Never in my life have I ever considered any single game a primarily "straight" game.

Cameron Lee is exactly right in regards to the choice of players with different fantasies. It doesn't really matter if the option to be a gay male or female is in the game, it matters if they are trying to force homosexuality down our throats but I doubt that will be the case. Having homosexuals in games is like having homosexuals in real life, especially when it comes to a fantasy game like Dragon Age where roleplaying comes into play a fairly decent amount. I'll be playing a straight male and will most likely try to sleep with the first female companion I come across, but if someone else wanted to be a homosexual and have sex with the first man/woman they comes across then that's fine. Who gives a ****?

To put it simply, why does it actually affect you?
Why is having an option in the game that allows same-sex relationships affect you so much?
Are you homophobic?
Does it matter if there are gamers in the world with different wants and needs than you?

Gamers deserve choice, each and every gamer, each and every choice.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I think the problem with romance in Bioware games is that it largely lacks depth, not options. The romance in games like ME/Dragon Age aren't very important to the stories and have to be accomodated to the various possible romance options, so they can't be personalized all that well. The best romances (and more generally, character relationships, whether romantic, parent-child, friends, etc) in games come when they're written in without player choice. Final Fantasy X couldn't have been nearly as powerful of a story if you could choose to have Tidus romance Lulu or Rikku. The Last of Us wouldn't have had as great an ending if you could choose whether to sacrifice Ellie or not.

Let's face it, the best game stories come when they mostly take choice out of the player's hands. Story (and romance) choice is very overrated in games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bigboi500

@bbkkristian said:

@Bigboi500: that's how I feel on the topic as well.

The current PC atmosphere and "GOTCHA!" politics make it hard to have decent discussions about certain topics these days. Jackasses use any excuse to insult you, even on Gamespot which makes it easy to see who your enemies and friends are. Thanks.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well to be fair... Bioware's games have much bigger issues than Discrimination.

If you people are gona b!tch about something then I suggest you start with the gameplay...

Hearsay_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hearsay_
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Well to be fair... Bioware's games have much bigger issues than Discrimination.

If you people are gona b!tch about something then I suggest you start with the gameplay...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jg4xchamp

@hearsay_ said:

@Bigboi500: Straight games? Never in my life have I ever considered any single game a primarily "straight" game.

Cameron Lee is exactly right in regards to the choice of players with different fantasies. It doesn't really matter if the option to be a gay male or female is in the game, it matters if they are trying to force homosexuality down our throats but I doubt that will be the case. Having homosexuals in games is like having homosexuals in real life, especially when it comes to a fantasy game like Dragon Age where roleplaying comes into play a fairly decent amount. I'll be playing a straight male and will most likely try to sleep with the first female companion I come across, but if someone else wanted to be a homosexual and have sex with the first man/woman they comes across then that's fine. Who gives a ****?

Why is having an option in the game that allows same-sex relationships affect you so much?

Are you homophobic?

Does it matter if there are gamers in the world with different wants and needs than you?

Wasting your time on uneducated ignorant people mate, better chance of winning the lottery.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Or how about go back to actual gameplay, leave a bit to the imagination, and let the player experience give character to the protagonist. Bungie did it with Halo and it turned out to be one of the biggest IPs in the industry. People call some of the more popular characters "flat", but in reality it is a design choice to let the player fill the role of x or y character.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shielder7
@kuu2 said:

My question would be why?

good question

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigboi500

@hearsay_ said:

Are you homophobic?

^another prime example. I clearly said I don't want to see sappy love scenes in games when they're absolutely pointless, regardless if they're for gay people or straight people.

I wouldn't mind at all if there are homosexual characters in the games I play, or the books I read, or the films I watch, IF they have significance to the story and events.

People don't want others political views displayed in areas where they're not welcome. Do you want me to interrupt the song you're listening to and tell you about how kids are being killed in Mexico? Do you want the book you paid $35 for to be filled with religious advertisements even if the book isn't about religion? People don't like being solicited to about issues we have no interest in, especially when we have to pay for the media we're trying to enjoy.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

Word.

Even sexing that doe didn't prevent him from blowing up the chantry and kickstarting the Mages/Templar war.

Bioware's implementation of any kind of relationship in DA2 is simply awful.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I wish I was a bigger Bioware fan, but alas I have no plans to even buy this game. I never have fancied these guys, although I considered them decent once upon a time (before EA).

For me, it's all about passionate game designers. Create the best game you can create, worry about nailing the gameplay and I'm sold. All this other Political Correct stuff they can do whatever they want, but just make the game incredible and I'll play it. To me, this reads like PR and drumming up support for all the reasons I don't video-game. I don't game to support PC causes, but I understand others might.

Whatever floats people's boats. I just want a BadAss game.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

If they were talking about interesting options then okay, but all they do anymore is a 4-5 step "thanks for doing my quest let's bang" romance, and call that progressive and edgy. Gay or straight, shoehorned romance isn't going to convince anyone we should cater to all people. How about instead of constantly hyping gay romances, you make love subplots actually good Bioware, idgaf if they're gay as long as it isn't abrupt or awkward. Try for complexity like in BG2 days. Or maybe don't bother, and make the rest of the game even better. Then the sexuality won't matter at all, the truest form of equality.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bigboi500

@tonitorsi said:

@RyviusARC said:

Word.

Even sexing that doe didn't prevent him from blowing up the chantry and kickstarting the Mages/Templar war.

Bioware implementation of any kind of relationship in DA2 is simply awful.

Yep. Another reason DA2 was so terrible. I didn't want a character in my party to turn on me, so I'm forced to deal with sexual advances from him? Yuck Bioware, very distasteful.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

This again... Do those devs think about anything else but how to include homosexuals in their games? Like seriously, they're the only ones going ham on the subject.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@papatrop said:

DA:O was just serviceable, DA2 was a disaster, and I can't take seriously the ME trilogy because it contains the ultimate fan service race (Asari).

I don't have high hopes for DA3.

LBGT make up what 2-3% of the world community? By all means give them options, but don't cater to them excluding 95%+ of your fanbase.

With every interview I hate Bioware just a little bit more. People will buy DA3 simply because there's nothing else on current gen, but I believe the writing is on the wall for Bioware. My guess is they will probably be dissolved as a company by EA within 3-5 years.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

I reckon some of the folks here are a bit insecure. You see the word "gay" and ya'll turn hostile. The point he was making was about choice; do what was intended in a RPG and be who and what you want. Some folks here are suggesting "yes, be who and what you want...except that...no, we can't have that." Those who maintain that position are either bigots or are so very close to being gay that it scares them.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

@Boddicker: So adding gay romances without taking anything away from the straight ones excludes straight gamers? Do you even think about what you're saying

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Boddicker

@Silverbond said:

@Boddicker: So adding gay romances without taking anything away from the straight ones excludes straight gamers? Do you even think about what you're saying

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

@Boddicker said:

LBGT make up what 2-3% of the world community? By all means give them options, but don't cater to them excluding 95%+ of your fanbase.

This was you literally 2 seconds ago bruh

And rest assured this nonsense confused me too so I'm not surprised that when you are confronted with your own ideas your brain turns to mush

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@Silverbond said:

Problem is that it inevitably will take away from a straight romance, just as much as the straight romance takes away from the gay one. More options means less allocated resources to each one, more time spent editing and focusing on multiple paths. The quality of each path is affected by the existence of the other. Attempting to squeeze in an extra subplot simply for the sake of options, is bad for the game in general.

Take DA Leliana and DA2 for example. In their effort to ignore the bounds of sex in decisions, they made romance plots simplistic and muddy. The lack of depth is boring and makes the whole thing feel annoying and unnecessary, regardless of orientation. Supposing they had infinite resources they could make everything equally complex, but they don't. One or the other or both paths will suffer.

Honestly, I think most people would be fine with a homosexual romance, if they actually put the effort into making it interesting and well written.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Boddicker

@Silverbond said:

@Boddicker said:

This was you literally 2 seconds ago bruh

And rest assured this nonsense confused me too so I'm not surprised that when you are confronted with your ideas your brain turns to mush

You're reading WAAAAAAAY too much into this.

I have more of a problem with the ham handed way Bioware handles gay relationships. Their constant moaning about it doesn't help things either.

I suggest you do some research into David Gaider and to a lesser extent Jennifer Hepler. David Gaider has been guilty of racism and sexism on the Bioware boards.

There's no need to get personal..........

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#43  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Shielder7 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Constantly throwing it in peoples faces, obviously focusing in on it and lets face it down right barging about it while drawing attention to themselves about it is forcing the agenda.

Can someone please define the gay agenda. I didn't find it to be "focused" on in Mass Effect 3/Fable games. Its an option that doesn't have to be used by anyone. And I don't know if this person from Bioware is gay, but just because he talked about it at a Game conference, where you know people talk about their games, isn't forcing anything on you. So are they supposed to have the option in the game, and never mention it to gaming media? Or just not have that role playing option at all? Which one will not be forcing this agenda on you?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Boddicker

I copied this from another thread just for you, Silverbond. David Gaider is the lead writer for DA:I.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bigboi500

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@papatrop said:

DA:O was just serviceable, DA2 was a disaster, and I can't take seriously the ME trilogy because it contains the ultimate fan service race (Asari).

I don't have high hopes for DA3.

With every interview I hate Bioware just a little bit more. People will buy DA3 simply because there's nothing else on current gen, but I believe the writing is on the wall for Bioware. My guess is they will probably be dissolved as a company by EA within 3-5 years.

According to the most recent census and a compilation of statistics since the second world war its estimated gay/lesbian population is about 9-10%. What I don't understand is how were straight gamers "excluded"?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Lots of games don't have the relationship options in general, but in a game that gives you options for pursuing relationships then there should be options for gay relationships. Games that give you options to play as both male and female and customize appearance and such, relationship options aren't that big of a deal. I personally like the designing the hero approach for many games as it it can quell a lot of that "they don't have enough black/gay/female/etc characters in games".

Hearsay_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hearsay_

@hearsay_ said:

Are you homophobic?

^another prime example. I clearly said I don't want to see sappy love scenes in games when they're absolutely pointless, regardless if they're for gay people or straight people.

I wouldn't mind at all if there are homosexual characters in the games I play, or the books I read, or the films I watch, IF they have significance to the story and events.

People don't want others political views displayed in areas where they're not welcome. Do you want me to interrupt the song you're listening to and tell you about how kids are being killed in Mexico? Do you want the book you paid $35 for to be filled with religious advertisements even if the book isn't about religion? People don't like being solicited to about issues we have no interest in, especially when we have to pay for the media we're trying to enjoy.

@Bigboi500: I think you and I have been lost in translation, probably my fault. I agree with you, I do, I was amused by "straight games" is all. It was a strange thing to read first thing in the morning. Being forced is defiantly not okay, especially in games that are supposed to make you feel like what you are playing is borderline reality. However, I doubt it will be as bad as you think it will. If your gaming experience is being destroyed and raped because of a guy hitting on you, you might want to take a step back and have a look at yourself and life. No hate, just advice.

I tend to become very immersed in the games I play, and never once has something as little as sexuality in a video game made me feel any less immersed. I'll get a chop going if you relax a little.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bigboi500

@hearsay_ said:

@Bigboi500: I think you and I have been lost in translation, probably my fault. I agree with you, I do, I was amused by "straight games" is all. It was a strange thing to read first thing in the morning. Being forced is defiantly not okay, especially in games that are supposed to make you feel like what you are playing is borderline reality. However, I doubt it will be as bad as you think it will. If your gaming experience is being destroyed and raped because of a guy hitting on you, you might want to take a step back and have a look at yourself and life. No hate, just advice.

I tend to become very immersed in the games I play, and never once has something as little as sexuality in a video game made me feel any less immersed. I'll get a chop going if you relax a little.

I said "straight gamers" not "straight games" if that makes a difference lol. I just think it doesn't belong if it has no significance.