LA Noire will live and die by the quality and strength of its script.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

LA Noire looks amazing. That much we can establish. And with Rockstar's guiding hand, we can assume that the gameplay would be pretty solid, too.

However, games like LA Noire will rely heavily on the strength and quality of their scripts in order to succeed and gain critical reception.

The last few trailers have been mildly worrying. It appears that Rockstar is going with a typical "catch a serial killer" sort of script. While murders are probably the most fun to investigate, it could open a big can of worms, particularly if the murders, the murderer, and the reason why the murders were committed are not tied together very well. And of course, the game claims that it's going to incorporate municipal corruption, moral ambiguity, and drugs as elements in the story, and we have yet to see how that will pan out.

Remember how one of Far Cry 2's trailers mentioned drugs? There were no drugs to be seen.

I, for one, hope the script doesn't suck. LA Noire is certainly one of the more unique games to come out this year.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

Cool, I hope they won't mess up this one.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

It's Rockstar. Enough said.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Vari3ty

But it isn't, Team Bondi is the dev.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Vari3ty

RDR's script honestly wasn't that great, and that is why I am concerned. Granted, RDR had great writing and a detailed setting to back it up, but the storyline wasn't one of its strongest suits. For something like LA Noire, a solid storyline is critical.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

despite the trailer, i dont know that it will revolve around a serial killer. my understanding is that it will be structured with a series of cases (including one about catching a serial killer). that sort of repetition alone is going to give noir-ish look at the urban underbelly. honestly, id be really impressed if they linked all the cases together for a tight thriller type story.

anyway, i think getting published by rockstar is a double edged sword. theyll get money they need to do a lot of great technical things (their facial animations, for example, look extremely believable so far. also, id be surprised if the game doesnt have very evocative lighting), but rockstar expects their games to sell a lot. it will likely be more action oriented than it would have been if it had a smaller publisher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Vari3ty
They are publishing the game not developing it. People tend to forget that.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spookykid143

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

ferret-gamer

And it's starting to annoy me.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It will be hyped to death. Will score well. Everyone will hate.

evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
Well they have a whole genre to draw directly from and given their dedication to the whole project, I can say I have faith in them. Oh and in Far Cry 2, while there weren't any drugs in the way of marijuana, cocaine, heroine etc, there were pills (in the form of malaria meds) and whatever it was you could inject yourself with to get health.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

spookykid143

It's R*, nuff said!!

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spookykid143

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] They are publishing the game not developing it. People tend to forget that.GreenGoblin2099

It's R*, nuff said!!

BASTARD :twisted::twisted::twisted::P

truebond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 truebond
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts

I hope they decide to bring it over to pc, so I and many others without counsels can enjoy.

Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

Masculus
this. happens with every highly hyped and high scoring game. people like to hate what's popular.\
FatCatPatRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FatCatPatRat
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

I hope they decide to bring it over to pc, so I and many others without counsels can enjoy.

truebond

well ive got some bad news for you....

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Well, let's hope it has a damn good script. I am really looking forward to this game, and I want more video games with meaningful quality storylines.

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts

Who buys games for their story?

Gameplay >>>>>>> Story

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

The_Capitalist

RDR's script honestly wasn't that great, and that is why I am concerned. Granted, RDR had great writing and a detailed setting to back it up, but the storyline wasn't one of its strongest suits. For something like LA Noire, a solid storyline is critical.

I wouldnt worry about that. I remember in a GI interview, Team Bondi basically stated that the dialogue, story, and setting are much more important than standard GTA gameplay.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]

Gameplay >>>>>>> Story

I do at times.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Vari3ty

Agreed. It definitely looks like a game that, despite its promise and excellent setting/gameworld, will be let-down by schizophrenic writing and mediocre combat.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 millerlight89
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Agreed. It definitely looks like a game that, despite its promise and excellent setting/gameworld, will be let-down by schizophrenic writing and mediocre combat.

R* is not developing this game people. Do you guys ever do research on the games you buy? Just curious.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 millerlight89

why are people saying the faces and voice acting are so amazing on La noire?

Half life 2 did it 7 years agoHaloinventedFPS

The facial animations are AMAZING. Even I can admit that.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

millerlight89

R* is not developing this game people. Do you guys ever do research on the games you buy? Just curious.

I am well aware Team Bondi is developing it. I love it how when I said "It's Rockstar, enough said" a few people started ranting about how it was Team Bondi, not Rockstar, that was developing. I know this - it still doesn't change the fact that Rockstar probably had a considerable influence in the making of the game.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 millerlight89
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

I am well aware Team Bondi is developing it. I love it how when I said "It's Rockstar, enough said" a few people started ranting about how it was Team Bondi, not Rockstar, that was developing. I know this - it still doesn't change the fact that Rockstar probably had a considerable influence in the making of the game.

You knew that? Yea if you did, you would not have said what you said.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18188 Posts

Half life 2 did it 7 years ago, god damn console gamers are stupid

HaloinventedFPS

I'm a PC gamer and a huge fan of Half-Life 2, but from what I've seen of it, LA Noire's face-making software is on a whole other level.

Also, not only are they extremely well done, but they're also integral to the gameplay - so that in itself is worth the hype it has been getting.

Gameplay >>>>>>> Story

Miketheman83

Heaps of people, and I totally diagree.
I'd buy any broken mess of a game if the story is strong enough (Flower, Sun and Rain is a good example), and I'd probably be more reluctant to enjoy a game with amazing gameplay but a terrible story (such as Crysis).

Back on topic, I don't think the main story of LA Noire will be about a serial killer. It's going to feature a number of different cases over a number of years (across a number of different police divisions - you start out as a traffic cop), probably in a similar manner to the novel LA Confidential. The serial killer will just be one of those cases, as far as I can tell.

*edit* Also, why do people keep expecting this to be anything like RDR?
It's like saying that you hope the next Deus Ex game will be as epic as Final Fantasy 13 - same publisher, different developers, different genres.

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
Regardless of the game's actual quality, I think it will sell a lot. Red Dead already proved that Rockstar can make a new IP and have it sell oodles. Either that or the game will completely tank. I guess it could go either way, really, but I think sales will have nothing to do with the game's quality or lack thereof.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

Half life 2 did it 7 years ago, god damn console gamers are stupid

Planeforger

I'm a PC gamer and a huge fan of Half-Life 2, but from what I've seen of it, LA Noire's face-making software is on a whole other level.

Also, not only are they extremely well done, but they're also integral to the gameplay - so that in itself is worth the hype it has been getting.

fact is Half life 2 is 7 years old, im sure Half life 3 (whenever gabe gets off his ***) will destroy GTA in the 50's

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Regardless of the game's actual quality, I think it will sell a lot. Red Dead already proved that Rockstar can make a new IP and have it sell oodles. Either that or the game will completely tank. I guess it could go either way, really, but I think sales will have nothing to do with the game's quality or lack thereof. Mrmccormo

Red dead isnt a new IP

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I'm more concerned about the gameplay, though the script and plot; if driving the narrative, will be important. Unlike lets say, Heavy Rain; an abomination in more ways than one of good storytelling.
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

[QUOTE="Mrmccormo"]Regardless of the game's actual quality, I think it will sell a lot. Red Dead already proved that Rockstar can make a new IP and have it sell oodles. Either that or the game will completely tank. I guess it could go either way, really, but I think sales will have nothing to do with the game's quality or lack thereof. HaloinventedFPS

Red dead isnt a new IP

New to this generation? Yes. And let's face it: was Red Dead Revolver ever a popular game? For many, Redemption was the first Red Dead game. But you are correct, for what it's worth.

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]

Gameplay >>>>>>> Story

I do. Story is by far the most important aspect of a game for me. I don't care about gameplay to be honest.
getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 12785 Posts

despite the trailer, i dont know that it will revolve around a serial killer. my understanding is that it will be structured with a series of cases (including one about catching a serial killer). that sort of repetition alone is going to give noir-ish look at the urban underbelly. honestly, id be really impressed if they linked all the cases together for a tight thriller type story.

anyway, i think getting published by rockstar is a double edged sword. theyll get money they need to do a lot of great technical things (their facial animations, for example, look extremely believable so far. also, id be surprised if the game doesnt have very evocative lighting), but rockstar expects their games to sell a lot. it will likely be more action oriented than it would have been if it had a smaller publisher.

LoG-Sacrament
I read in Gameinformer that each case is based off a actual crime that took place in 1940's L.A. in many of the cases Bondi had to manufacture the ending to the case as most of the real life source material remains unsolved.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Masculus

Probably. Won't stop me from enjoying it though... :D

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5470 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

spookykid143

It's still Rockstar... People overplay the affect publishers have when it comes to EA, and Activision, but when something like this comes around they downplay it? Come on. Rockstar will influence the development of the game plenty.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Gameplay >>>>>>> Story

Miketheman83

Looks at game collection ....I do all the time even if the story is bad.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] They are publishing the game not developing it. People tend to forget that.rolo107

It's still Rockstar... People overplay the affect publishers have when it comes to EA, and Activision, but when something like this comes around they downplay it? Come on. Rockstar will influence the development of the game plenty.

Exactly.