Kotaku: You Can No Longer Ignore The Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

If you don't have a Wii U, it's time to get one.

This is our Kotaku review update for the Wii U, the gaming console with a screen in its controller that we've been telling you since November 2012 is not yet a must-have.

It finally is.

We can't deny that there are drawbacks to owning a Wii U. If it's your only console, you can kiss the chances of playing the next cutting-edge Assassin's Creed, Batman or Grand Theft Autogames goodbye. Unless you're a big Sonic fan, you're not really going to find many big-company non-Nintendo games that you can only play on Wii U or play on Wii U at all. Get another system if you want to enjoy blockbusters from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take Two and the like. There are also huge genre holes on the Wii U that are likely to get bigger what with a dearth of realistic sports games, a rarity of RPGs, and a slowdown of new shooters.

We are at peace with this.

We can live with these problems. They're overwhelmed by what the Wii U does right. And that GamePad controller is actually pretty great. So is the optional (and recommended) Xbox-style Pro Controller.

There was a time when the Wii U simply cost too much for the amount of great games it had on the system. There was also a time when Nintendo TVii might have been a big deal. (This was around the same time!). That was the past. That was a past when you could merrily skip the Wii U and be ok.

Today, however, if you skip the Wii U, you're missing out.

Please recognize that we don't make console recommendations based on the future. We're not telling you to grab a Wii U now because there's a Smash Bros. a few months from release and a gorgeous open-world Zeldafarrrr out on the horizon.

Nah.

We are recommending the Wii U in the present. We are recommending the console of surprise feature-adding Pikmin 3 patches...the console of the wonderfully weird and eminently crowd-pleasing Nintendo Land...the console of... this.

Kotaku is getting it right- it took the Wii U a while- nearly a year and a half- but it's finally done it, it finally warrants a purchase. It has, without a doubt, the best library of all three current generation consoles right now, and while that won't last forever (once the multiplats for PS4 start rolling out, Wii U will be left behind), it will always be a significantly appealing prospect simply because of the sheer wealth of options and great games that it offers. To anybody who hasn't bought in yet- you should do it. The Wii U, and everything about it, represents a significantly different ecosystem and take on console gaming than any you are used to so far.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

What's so different about the WiiU?

It certainly isn't the gamepad, because that just serves for pretty much anything the 3DS has done. Then you have Nintendo's first party, which wasn't exactly absent with their previous platforms.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

It's from loltaku though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:

What's so different about the WiiU?

It certainly isn't the gamepad, because that just serves for pretty much anything the 3DS has done. Then you have Nintendo's first party, which wasn't exactly absent with their previous platforms.

What's different is it now has a whole load of games, worth playing. Sure, the Gamepad is a failed gimmick (although Off TV Play is cool), but the Wii U becomes appealing purely on the strength of its software library, which is entirely exclusive to it.

@ninjapirate2000 said:

It's from loltaku though.

But they're just one of many saying it ;)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yes I can, and I will continue until the 32 gb version of the WiiU is roughly $200.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

The only reason is smash bros.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freedomfreak
@charizard1605 said:

What's different is it now has a whole load of games, worth playing. Sure, the Gamepad is a failed gimmick (although Off TV Play is cool), but the Wii U becomes appealing purely on the strength of its software library, which is entirely exclusive to it.

Oh, that's what you were referring to.

"represents a significantly different ecosystem and take on console gaming than any you are used to so far"

That's a really fancy way of saying it has games available.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Wasdie said:

Yes I can, and I will continue until the 32 gb version of the WiiU is roughly $200.

Knock yourself out.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

@freedomfreak: You get W101.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I don't disagree with the assertion (the exclusive lineup alone, currently, is better than any other "next-gen" console) but seriously...

lolKotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:
@charizard1605 said:

Oh, that's what you were referring to.

"represents a significantly different ecosystem and take on console gaming than any you are used to so far"

That's a really fancy way of saying it has games available.

I'm an English major, I have to feel like I'm contributing something valuable and worthwhile to society somehow.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
@dobzilian said:

You get W101.

Yeah, W101 is chill.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
@charizard1605 said:

I'm an English major, I have to feel like I'm contributing something valuable and worthwhile to society somehow.

lol

Fair enough.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

How? Most of the stuff they showed at E3 isnt even coming this year. Why shouldnt I wait until then when the console will definitely be cheaper?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

What about buyers remorse, does the article cover that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@wolverine4262 said:

How? Most of the stuff they showed at E3 isnt even coming this year. Why shouldnt I wait until then when the console will definitely be cheaper?

Because the article clearly says it's not talking about games in the future, it's talking about the games out now, and what's out now is more than enough to justify a purchase.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

TVii doesnt work, my Games which I downloaded to my old WiiU are locked to that console, Nintendo over charge for repairs, The Gamepad has had minimum use outside of games like W101, ZombiU and playing 2 player mode Online in games like CoD. Maio Kart 8 from what I can tell cockednup 2 player mode with having it split screen rather than having one screen for each player.

Nope still loads to fix.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#19 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's pretty damn easy to ignore it.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@charizard1605:

If that were true, then I'd be interested.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@wolverine4262 said:

@charizard1605:

If that were true, then I'd be interested.

Maybe you don't know about the sheer wealth of games it has. Or maybe they just don't appeal to you, idk, I can't speak for why you personally are not interested in a Wii U, man.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Definitely seems to go hand in hand with what I was saying last night.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Lol, we can definitely igonre the Wii U. Outside of the usual Ninty rehashes, there's also not a lot on it to play because good 3d party is almost non existant on the Wii U.

Sales represent this and will probably stay the same. Wii U will (has) end(ed) up as one of the biggest failures of Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Suppaman100 said:

Lol, we can definitely igonre the Wii U. Outside of the usual Ninty rehashes, there's also not a lot on it to play because good 3d party is almost non existant on the Wii U.

Sales represent this and will probably stay the same. Wii U will (has) end(ed) up as one of the biggest failures of Nintendo.

How silly of me to keep forgetting that sales represent a system's quality, when all is said and done.

@Shewgenja said:

Definitely seems to go hand in hand with what I was saying last night.

Yes, and as much as I think the core enthusiast's opinion on the Wii U has definitely changed- I mean, you can see it on websites, and on message boards like GAF and stuff- I still think the message hasn't gotten to the average gamer (or if it does, it won't change their mind). I mean, just see this very thread as an example, see how many people are still shitting on it, not a whole lot of them for legitimate reasons, most happen to be engaging in hit and run trolling.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Still ignoring it, it has no games I want or care about

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Decrease the console price to $149 and then i'd agree

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

@Wasdie: "Yes I can, and I will continue until the 32 gb version of the WiiU is roughly $200."

In the same boat $199 and I'm in. Might wait for the next Nintendo console the "Wii US" or "Wii All"

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#28 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@charizard1605: that doesn't really answer his question, the wii and game cube had similar 1st party outputs.

So how is the wii u different to previous ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Zethrickk382 said:

@Wasdie: "Yes I can, and I will continue until the 32 gb version of the WiiU is roughly $200."

In the same boat $199 and I'm in. Might wait for the next Nintendo console the "Wii US" or "Wii All"

As I mentioned to Wasdie above, you can buy one for $199. Right now.

Want to put your money where your mouth is?

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

I have to admit.. If ever there was a time to purchase the Wii-U.. it's now.

They have great titles available.. and a few gems I want to check out (Bayonetta 2, Toad Treasure Trackers, Starfox, Yoshi's Wholly World, and Of course Celda Wii-U)

..but the problem is.. a console is an investment. And I don't see the investment side outside of those titles I just mentioned. The PS4 has a ton of great software coming out (next year) and I already own one. I don't know... Maybe if I can find a Wii-U for $150 or less, I'll pick one up this holiday season.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I love mine so far. Backwards compatibility is awesome(playing Xenoblade right now) and there's lots of great exclusives.

I wish it got more multiplats, though. :(

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It isn't time to stop ignoring loltaku, let alone their questionable advice.

The only difference between the WiiU now and a month ago is an E3-ish informercial showing a bunch of games they'll still be showing off come next E3. Nothing of note has launched since then, and nothing recently save for MK8.

You're eating up hype. Almost as bad as reposting Kotaku crap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@thehig1 said:

@charizard1605: that doesn't really answer his question, the wii and game cube had similar 1st party outputs.

So how is the wii u different to previous ?

Where did I say it's different to previous Nintendo console? It's a Nintendo console, it's exactly what a Nintendo console always is.

@Desmonic said:

Uh, yes. Yes you can. No multiplats galore. F*ck that, yo! >.>

Not like the PS4 or Xbox One have any of those right now either

@scottpsfan14 said:

Wii U is a fucking disaster. Deal with it.

Right. When you grow up and can have an actual articulate discussion, come back and talk to me.

@santoron said:

It isn't time to stop ignoring loltaku, let alone their questionable advice.

The only difference between the WiiU now and a month ago is an E3-ish informercial showing a bunch of games they'll still be showing off come next E3. Nothing of note has launched since then, and nothing recently save for MK8.

You're eating up hype. Almost as bad as reposting Kotaku crap.

The point, yet again, is not its future potential (although that is surely worth getting excited over as well), the point is that in the here and now, the Wii U exists as a cheap purchase with a whole lot of great games, which means it's worth a look, it's worth a buy, especially since the other two consoles have crap to play at the moment.

@OhSnapitz said:

I have to admit.. If ever there was a time to purchase the Wii-U.. it's now.

They have great titles available.. and a few gems I want to check out (Bayonetta 2, Toad Treasure Trackers, Starfox, Yoshi's Wholly World, and Of course Celda Wii-U)

..but the problem is.. a console is an investment. And I don't see the investment side outside of those titles I just mentioned. The PS4 has a ton of great software coming out (next year) and I already own one. I don't know... Maybe if I can find a Wii-U for $150 or less, I'll pick one up this holiday season.

I don't know if this is lo enough, but you can get a Wii U for $200 now.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#38 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Already have one but I was literally ignoring it. The dusts will be off come smash time though.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Yes, and as much as I think the core enthusiast's opinion on the Wii U has definitely changed- I mean, you can see it on websites, and on message boards like GAF and stuff- I still think the message hasn't gotten to the average gamer (or if it does, it won't change their mind). I mean, just see this very thread as an example, see how many people are still shitting on it, not a whole lot of them for legitimate reasons, most happen to be engaging in hit and run trolling.

This is SW. Everyone has an agenda here. Everyone takes their sound bites and platform of choice like a political party. SW is a departure from the "swing voter" that is the average gamer. The average gamer looks to the core gamer for advice on what's cool and what is not cool.

WiiU was uncool, but the XBone showed the world what uncool really is and now the WiiU is somewhere between uncool to that girl who everyone made fun of until she came back from summer break her sophomore year and started looking hot as **** as a junior. Who knows what peoples opinions will be next year?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 freedomfreak
@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I wish it got more multiplats, though. :(

Same here. I'd be more than okay to buy them for my WiiU(if they weren't gimped like past multiplats) instead of the Xbox or Playstation, but there's nothing coming for it.

It's what keeps me from making this my go-to console.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

@charizard1605:

Very tempting, I've stated before being on the fence. It's the initial investment upfront that stops me. Is their a wii u pro controller bundle?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

^ ^ This.

lolKotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Zethrickk382 said:

@charizard1605:

Very tempting, I've stated before being on the fence. It's the initial investment upfront that stops me. Is their a wii u pro controller bundle?

No, that you'll have to buy separately unfortunately. If you look hard enough, a Wii U Pro controller is pretty cheap to find, although do not buy them from eBay, no matter what.

@freedomfreak said:

Same here. I'd be more than okay to buy them for my WiiU(if they weren't gimped like past multiplats) instead of the Xbox or Playstation, but there's nothing coming for it.

It's what keeps me from making this my go-to console.

I agree too, but at this point, I've reconciled myself to the fact that the Wii U is an entirely different ecosystem of games than either the PlayStation/Xbox/PC. It's going to get its own different games that no one else gets, and the games it gets are not ones the other guys get either.

I guess that's why it's easy to justify it as a second console purchase (or a secondary machine next to the PC).

@Shewgenja said:

This is SW. Everyone has an agenda here. Everyone takes their sound bites and platform of choice like a political party. SW is a departure from the "swing voter" that is the average gamer. The average gamer looks to the core gamer for advice on what's cool and what is not cool.

WiiU was uncool, but the XBone showed the world what uncool really is and now the WiiU is somewhere between uncool to that girl who everyone made fun of until she came back from summer break her sophomore year and started looking hot as **** as a junior. Who knows what peoples opinions will be next year?

Maybe. Hopefully. Two months ago, I would have fought you tooth and nail that the perception of the Wii U would ever change, and I mean, look where we stand now. So what you're saying certainly is possible, if Nintendo stays committed to the Wii U long enough, if they don't ditch it ala Sega and the Saturn, for example.

We'll see, it'll certainly be interesting to watch over the coming years.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#44 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Forget it. As of 2015, most multiplats will be next gen only. Meaning no PS3/360 version. Meaning that games will be made with Xbox One as the lowest common denominator. Meaning, Wii U = not an option.

Oh, I'm not holding out on it. But one can wish. One can dream.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Wasdie said:

Knock yourself out.

Im not buying a refurbished unit. I don't buy used electronics as in the past they've never worked out for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Wasdie said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Wasdie said:

Knock yourself out.

Im not buying a refurbished unit. I don't buy used electronics as in the past they've never worked out for me.

Nintendo's refurbed units are literally units that they sent to stores, but stores returned to them because the inventory wasn't moving. These things are coming with a year's worth of warranty, so you are covered in case something goes wrong, functionally, there is no difference from buying a new unit, and no reason why you shouldn't actually purchase one.

But you know what, fair enough, wait for a little more, and the Wii U will inevitably hit $200 new for some bundle or the other. As a matter of interest, how much would you pay for the PS4 or Xbox One?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

Uh, yes. Yes you can. No multiplats galore. F*ck that, yo! >.>

Not like the PS4 or Xbox One have any of those right now either

Yeah, but 1 >>>>> 0 any day of the week brah! :P

That really doesn't make much sense

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Wasdie said:

Knock yourself out.

So you want people to buy defective equipment that is checked by people who don't even work for Nintendo?

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I own one and I still ignore it.