Kotaku: "Is Single Player gaming in danger of extinction?"

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Intresting article by Kotaku. And I have a feeling it is as well. Don't get me wrong, I like multiplayer, but sometimes, I want to play by myself and go through the story of the game.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
Absolutely and completely not.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
There will always be a place for single player games...As long as there are devs like bioware....They are making an mmo you say? oh, well...
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

As long as RPGS exist.. nope. I still like single player more than multi when it comes to most genres except MMOS and shooters.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Who_Dat_Ninja
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts
Absolutely and completely not.Brownesque
This.
Delsage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Delsage
Member since 2004 • 3355 Posts
The end of single player, is the end of gaming for me. I appreciate the games that are online only, and have some for myself. But the thing that really drives the market, is a great story that you get out of the game, like an interactive book or movie.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

SP player games are in danger not just because of nade spamming noobs that now dictate the sales of most games but also reviewers as well. A great single player game can get docked points for lack of mp most of the time.

sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts

The day single player games go extinct is the day I stop playing video games.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I wouldn't say that it's dying out, but at the same time, I think multi-player is getting a lot more attention now because of online capibilities. You also have games that are MP based with crappy SP, and SP based games that have crappy MP.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

God someone bit the online gaming hype.. Just because I play WoW doesn't mean I don't want to play some Valkyria Chronicles or Fallout 3. Sometimes I really wonder about people.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Nope. Its as strong as ever. Online was a pretty big fad last generation, but this generation its become a little more focused in particular genres.

Though, if SP games did go extinct, I'd stop being a gamer. I don't always want to be connected to the internet and interacting with other humans.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I buy games for single player multiplayer is just a bonus for me so I hope not!

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts

Intresting article by Kotaku. And I have a feeling it is as well. Don't get me wrong, I like multiplayer, but sometimes, I want to play by myself and go through the story of the game.

Thoughts? Opinions?

nintendoboy16
well.. look what happend to KOTOR :S i mean seriously TOR rofl.... me want kotor 3 asap!
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Thoughts? Opinions?

the-obiwan
well.. look what happend to KOTOR :S i mean seriously TOR rofl.... me want kotor 3 asap!

TOR looks epic...
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
considering that multiplayer in most games are derivative of many other games and ppl usually end up only playing a few of the best ones for very long. i don't think so.
2beers_in_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 2beers_in_hand
Member since 2007 • 2950 Posts

U2 and DS say high to Kotaku. While I feel some developers get overwhelmed buy trying to add everything to a game and either the single player or multi suffer. Most developers are able to do swing both without to many problems.

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the-obiwan
[QUOTE="the-obiwan"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Thoughts? Opinions?

wolverine4262

TOR looks epic...

well i dont really mind if they want a mmorpg for certain ppl, but im not one of those i want the continuation of the saga wich is kotor 3 thank you very much. so yeah its sorta whats going on here, single player game is dying on kotor saga.
Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts

Umm, singplayer is definantley not going out and it never will. In the event it does, though, I believe I will just either quit gaming, or only work on older games that have singleplayer.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, but its ridiculous how many shooter fanboys expect to have multiplayer in every game, regardless of genre or how the game plays.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Seeing that almost all of my favorite games are SP only or are favorite because of the SP Part, I would say no
DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
No i don't think so. I doubt single player games will ever go away.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="the-obiwan"] well i dont really mind if they want a mmorpg for certain ppl, but im not one of those i want the continuation of the saga wich is kotor 3 thank you very much. so yeah its sorta whats going on here, single player game is dying on kotor saga.

I understand what you mean...I really dont like mmos, but bioware is really giving it their touch. I consider this a bioware star wars game before an mmo...I also dont really know what you mean by continuation of kotor. did kotor 2 connect to 1 at all? I only put a couple hours into it b/c obsidian did a terrible job...
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the-obiwan
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="the-obiwan"] well i dont really mind if they want a mmorpg for certain ppl, but im not one of those i want the continuation of the saga wich is kotor 3 thank you very much. so yeah its sorta whats going on here, single player game is dying on kotor saga.

I understand what you mean...I really dont like mmos, but bioware is really giving it their touch. I consider this a bioware star wars game before an mmo...I also dont really know what you mean by continuation of kotor. did kotor 2 connect to 1 at all? I only put a couple hours into it b/c obsidian did a terrible job...

well not really their fault, if you followed the saga you should know what happend with the content. anyhow im not saying bioware gonna make a bad job but still i would rather kotor 3 instead. what was the point to play the 1 and 2 if theres not gonna be an end ?
CorruptAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#24 CorruptAndrew
Member since 2008 • 1958 Posts

I buy games for single player multiplayer is just a bonus for me so I hope not!

chikenfriedrice

Same here

Mr_Splosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_Splosher
Member since 2009 • 772 Posts
There are so many good single player games coming out soon, what is so bad about having multiplayer tacked on for some extra game time?
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

SP player games are in danger not just because of nade spamming noobs that now dictate the sales of most games but also reviewers as well. A great single player game can get docked points for lack of mp most of the time.

Zaibach

Which is sad really. I mean games like Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock were severely marked down for the lack of it despite either games needing it. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of other reasons why those games should be marked down buts lack of MP is not one of them.

Anyway i dont see SP ever fading out, its pretty much the life of gaming. Although im 100% sure we'll soon start seeing multiplayer only games. Activision will probably start releasing Call of Duty Online 1, 2, 3 etc.

As long as we have companies such as Nintendo, S-E, Bioware and many more, i think we're safe.

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
There are so many good single player games coming out soon, what is so bad about having multiplayer tacked on for some extra game time?Mr_Splosher
The problem is that it will most likely take out resources which could be used for a better single player. That is if they tacked it on. And if they do tack it on, the multiplayer won't be any good because they tacked it on.
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"][QUOTE="the-obiwan"] well i dont really mind if they want a mmorpg for certain ppl, but im not one of those i want the continuation of the saga wich is kotor 3 thank you very much. so yeah its sorta whats going on here, single player game is dying on kotor saga.the-obiwan

well not really their fault, if you followed the saga you should know what happend with the content. anyhow im not saying bioware gonna make a bad job but still i would rather kotor 3 instead. what was the point to play the 1 and 2 if theres not gonna be an end ?

maybe you should go to Biowares site and read up on the game no offense. they explain what happens between part 2 and TOR. sorta. lol. anyways according to them TOR is equivilant to KOTOR 3 - 10 so dont expect a KOTOR 3 for a while if ever.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Thoughts? Opinions?

the-obiwan

That's exactly not the same thing. Bioware is probably making TOR to have something that blizzard has.. a continuous stream of tons of income. They aren't making it because they want to have a multiplayer game.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I think SP focused games are at a strong state. I love me a good multiplayer game, but single player experiences are always the most memorable and exciting I think.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
well u still have alot of great single player games....batman...mgs4..uncharted 2 odst.....the list goes on and on
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
I dont think so, consoles games from America and Europe have been are by far the best they have ever been in any generation and while SPs these days are short, its more down to the fact that they cost so much to make.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the-obiwan

[QUOTE="the-obiwan"][QUOTE="wolverine4262"] I understand what you mean...I really dont like mmos, but bioware is really giving it their touch. I consider this a bioware star wars game before an mmo...I also dont really know what you mean by continuation of kotor. did kotor 2 connect to 1 at all? I only put a couple hours into it b/c obsidian did a terrible job...tikki25x

maybe you should go to Biowares site and read up on the game no offense. they explain what happens between part 2 and TOR. sorta. lol. anyways according to them TOR is equivilant to KOTOR 3 - 10 so dont expect a KOTOR 3 for a while if ever.

oh i have thanks for thinking i didnt though.... but that explanation its not really that what i want you know? its like what a a few words and thats it? oh thank you why did i bother to play this just to get a lame ending
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
no more single player would suck big time
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

shutdown_202

Which is sad really. I mean games like Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock were severely marked down for the lack of it despite either games needing it. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of other reasons why those games should be marked down buts lack of MP is not one of them.

Anyway i dont see SP ever fading out, its pretty much the life of gaming. Although im 100% sure we'll soon start seeing multiplayer only games. Activision will probably start releasing Call of Duty Online 1, 2, 3 etc.

As long as we have companies such as Nintendo, S-E, Bioware and many more, i think we're safe.

No they werent:? Metroid was mainly because the DS game did it, and given how much a rehash the game was and the fact it wasnt as inspired as the previous games, i agree.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
I like SP games better than MP games so I really hope not.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Not a chance.
pursuit_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#38 pursuit_master
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts

hell no

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

No, but its ridiculous how many shooter fanboys expect to have multiplayer in every game, regardless of genre or how the game plays.meetroid8

Yeah look at Bioshock 2 :(

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I ask myself this from time to time, but then an amazing single player component will be launched for a game.

Like the upcoming Uncharted. Sure it has co-op and online, but the focus has been on the single player.

heybooboo19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heybooboo19
Member since 2009 • 428 Posts

DLC for single player experiences is the only alternative if you want to combat the value arguement for MP/Co-op/Local MP. See Bethesda's games.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

used to be the rule that if the game has guns it must have mp, but thats not the case anymore look at ngs2.....i'm dreading to think what they'll do to gow3 to appease he shooting crazy noobs that dictate the market now.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I'll have to stop gaming if it happens. Multiplayer is awesome and all, but... no, it's not happening. Most of Nintendo's flagship games are single-player, and they're the leading force in the industry. No worries.
Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

The day single player games go extinct is the day I stop playing video games.

sakura_Ex

^^ this

Avatar image for Dweedleking5000
Dweedleking5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dweedleking5000
Member since 2009 • 219 Posts

Thoughts? Opinions?

nintendoboy16
Multiplayer killed the Kotor series.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

No. It's simply impossible.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#48 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

hell no. The majority of my gaming is done with single player games.

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#49 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

Thoughts? Opinions?

Dweedleking5000

Multiplayer killed the Kotor series.

How? Have you already played TOR? I don't think so...

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

I have a blog post right HERE that can debunk this.