Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#1 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 14185 Posts

Did Hideo Kojima Predict the Future Again?

March 21, 2020

Did Hideo Kojima predict the future, again? Well, there's a meme making the rounds that suggests so, and it makes a compelling argument. In 2019, Hideo Kojima released Death Stranding on PS4. On top of being thought-provoking and revolutionary, it was very strange. The game is set in the near future, in a post-apocalyptic world where people live in self isolation and practice social distancing. What are they hiding from? An invisible threat. And what's keeping things from falling apart even more? A delivery man delivering much-needed supplies and packages to all of those hunkered down from the outside world. Sound familiar? It's kinda the world we live in right now thanks to the coronavirus.

This may seem like a stretch -- and to an extent it is -- but it's a realization that has had many people talking about Death Stranding again. Normally I would write all of this off and simply enjoy the memes, but I can't help but wonder if there's actually something to this. It seems far-fetched, but then I remember that Kojima more or less predicted the information age, fake news, echo chambers, and more in MGS 2.

Again, it's a stretch, but it does have me thinking about Death Stranding and its messages again. It's timely, whether by coincidence or not.

Death Stranding is available for PS4, and for now, only the PS4. However, it's slated to come to PC this year.

"The nucleus of Death Stranding is its slow burning story that brews classic sci-fi with old weird fiction on top of foundational ideas and perspectives redolent of writers and visionaries like Kobo Abe and Franz Kafka," reads a snippet from our review of the game. "Similar to Metal Gear Solid, the story of Death Stranding is a complicated multi-layered narrative that will make you feel lost, but never loses you, and pays back your patience with mind-shattering revelations and remarkable interweaving of personal, intimate moments with an exploration of life’s biggest questions. And the vehicle to all of this is Kojima’s signature style of storytelling, which evokes his past work, but also evolves it."

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 17796 Posts

You know this thread is gonna be crazy stupid.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29714 Posts

I’m not at all surprised by this myself. Kojima is quite a clever and intelligent person and seems quite adept at putting forward social commentary and projections into his games. It’s a large reason why I find his games to be extremely compelling.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4658 Posts

That's an indicator of a innovative, brilliant mind -- the ability to anticipate changes in how we work, live, or interact.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13083 Posts

I don't know, but I have stocked up on cases of Monster energy drink.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33050 Posts

right now:

- society is divided along political lines

- paranoia setting in rapidly

- everyone relying on delivery services to avoid going out

As opposed to... normal times?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51604 Posts

And everyone laughed at him.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 3230 Posts

Are we suddenly going to pretend that The Division don't exist or the countless movies on human kind being destroyed by viruses/diseases?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23761 Posts

Kojima is a genius and we are so blessed to have him making such incredible art in the medium we love :D

Imagine hating him for making unique games with actual messages and themes, instead of the same old shit battle royale clones everyone else is farting out, lol

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1426 Posts

@pc_rocks: I joke around with my buddy that we are going around killing people with the coronavirus in Division 2.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41126 Posts

Contagion movie (starring Matt Damon) did it first since that movie release 9 years ago. Steven Soderbergh is a better film director then Kojima ever will be😁

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 45335 Posts

@davillain- said:

Contagion movie (starring Matt Damon) did it first since that movie release 9 years ago. Steven Soderbergh is a better film director then Kojima ever will be😁

Does he die in it? If so I'll watch just for that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 38474 Posts

Dues Ex.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41126 Posts

@Chutebox: Sadly, he doesn't. His love interest did however. I still totally recommended you watch it. It age like fine wine and it also deals with what we are all in now.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 4908 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

You know this thread is gonna be crazy stupid.

Loading Video...

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Subspecies  Online
Member since 2018 • 1489 Posts

For those with eyes to see.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 66 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I don't know, but I have stocked up on cases of Monster energy drink.

is there a reason for that? not making fun of you by saying that. do they say the monster energy drinks help fight off the virus? if so im stopping at the store on the way home lol.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13083 Posts

@gifford38: Nah, just a goof on Death Stranding.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 15199 Posts

Pity there's not a sex doll of Kojima, because if there was then maybe you weirdo's would leave the rest of society alone.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4332 Posts

The Division beat him to it.

Loading Video...
PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks

@subspecies:

Just stop!

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22  Edited By nepu7supastar7  Online
Member since 2007 • 5617 Posts

@Jag85:

That's too vague to be anything intentional. Most apocalyptic games and movies generally have characters stuck in a world where they're forced to practice isolation and social distancing. Zombie virus, nuclear holocaust, you name it. It's always to steer clear from infected folks or crazy bandits.

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Subspecies  Online
Member since 2018 • 1489 Posts

@pc_rocks: It's not me that needs to be stopped, dude.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14975 Posts

What, you didn’t know?

Kojima engineered the Coronavirus alongside the development of DS. He is such a genius that he controls reality, his games are simply statements on the reality he creates.

He is, for all intents and purposes, divinity. ALL HAIL KOJIMA!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jag85  Online

A few naysayers trying to counter with The Division...

https://youtu.be/yICsjT6SkbM?t=560

...Yeah, that's some serious "social distancing" there. How cute. All these people are definitely catching Coronavirus.

Fail! Come on lads, try harder.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5258 Posts

Considering Kojima's work is mostly derivative from books and movies, it's not exactly prophetic.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jag85  Online
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Jag85:

That's too vague to be anything intentional. Most apocalyptic games and movies generally have characters stuck in a world where they're forced to practice isolation and social distancing. Zombie virus, nuclear holocaust, you name it. It's always to steer clear from infected folks or crazy bandits.

Most apocalyptic games and movies are about sticking together, the very opposite of social distancing. In order to survive a zombie virus or nuclear fallout, you need to go out into the world, come into close proximity with other survivors, and stick together in order to fight against zombies or bandits.

This is the opposite of Death Stranding and the current Coronavirus situation, where people are forced to stay at home because of an invisible viral threat, avoiding all physical contact (including handshakes) or close proximity with other humans, and relying on delivery boys to survive. I'm certainly not aware of any earlier games or movies which highlight the crucial role that delivery boys play in surviving a viral pandemic.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2383 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Pity there's not a sex doll of Kojima, because if there was then maybe you weirdo's would leave the rest of society alone.

I would buy Kojima's waxed poop for $5.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 I_P_Daily

@watercrack445 said:
@i_p_daily said:

I would buy Kojima's waxed poop for $5.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nepu7supastar7  Online

@Jag85:

I didn't realize there was a viral infection in Death Stranding. Is it a game mechanic?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98338 Posts

Many creative writers "predict" events. It's called being creative. I think Dean Koontz had a book back in the '80's that talked about a "pneumonia-like virus pandemic" whatever in the year 2020, and everyone lost their minds recently... but throw enough creative darts at the wall and there's bound to be 1 or 2 that hit the bullseye.

Pandemic simulations have been common practice for the CDC and other worldwide health organizations for decades, and their models are widely available to view. Kojima is just a creative guy with an eye for post-modern aesthetics and themes. His "prediction" was just good timing.

Had he named it "COVAD-45" or something, and it was a virus with pneumonia-like symptoms occurring in the exact year, developing in China, then yeah, that would be a little bit more impressive.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5559 Posts

They say a broken clock is right is right twice a day. Nah I'm kidding. I enjoyed DS and glad there are teams like his spicing up world building and story telling especially in the AAA space. Hopefully next time he can find a gameplay loop that more people will enjoy.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Jag85:

Most apocalyptic games and movies are about sticking together, the very opposite of social distancing. In order to survive a zombie virus or nuclear fallout, you need to go out into the world, come into close proximity with other survivors, and stick together in order to fight against zombies or bandits.

This is the opposite of Death Stranding and the current Coronavirus situation, where people are forced to stay at home because of an invisible viral threat, avoiding all physical contact (including handshakes) or close proximity with other humans, and relying on delivery boys to survive. I'm certainly not aware of any earlier games or movies which highlight the crucial role that delivery boys play in surviving a viral pandemic.

This is precisely what happens in all the post apocalyptic games and movies. People lived in self isolation for decades and civilization dies. The only thing is the actual gameplay begins in the time period of slow recovery to have something to do in your game apart from a literal walking simulator being propped by Hollywood actors and cutscenes.

RE, TLOU, DIvision, Fallout, Daying Light, Stalker all had people isolated in their places.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12596 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Dues Ex.

Deus Ex shows reality of world actually.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jag85  Online

@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

This is precisely what happens in all the post apocalyptic games and movies. People lived in self isolation for decades and civilization dies. The only thing is the actual gameplay begins in the time period of slow recovery to have something to do in your game apart from a literal walking simulator being propped by Hollywood actors and cutscenes.

RE, TLOU, DIvision, Fallout, Daying Light, Stalker all had people isolated in their places.

See my rebuttal of The Division above:

@Jag85 said:

...Yeah, that's some serious "social distancing" there. How cute. All these people are definitely catching Coronavirus.

Now compare this to Death Stranding:

The characters go out of their way to avoid handshakes. People are hiding from an invisible threat they can't see. They practice social distancing and avoid contact with other non-villainous humans. They are running low on supplies. They have to rely on delivery boys to survive. Coronavirus Survival 101. Death Stranding is the first pandemic survival delivery simulator.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Dues Ex.

Deus Ex shows reality of world actually.

Using a manufactured agent with the cure with-held makes more sense than a nuclear bomb destroying countries.

This type of primitive weapon was already used during WW2.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/10/15/during-world-war-ii-japan-bombed-china-with-fleas-infected-with-bubonic-plague/

Not saying this is a manufactured test run, just heavily implying it.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nepu7supastar7  Online

@pc_rocks:

"This is precisely what happens in all the post apocalyptic games and movies."

- That's basically what I said. Sure it was common to stick to groups of survivors but they were few and far in between. The biggest groups were always the toughest to keep because it meant more mouths to feed and more people to watch over.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2314 Posts

@Jag85 said:

The characters go out of their way to avoid handshakes. People are hiding from an invisible threat they can't see. They practice social distancing and avoid contact with other non-villainous humans. They are running low on supplies. They have to rely on delivery boys to survive. Coronavirus Survival 101. Death Stranding is the first pandemic survival delivery simulator.

Don't forget the major survival mechanic in Death Stranding...

Players have HOLD THEIR BREATH have or had on MASKS to protect themselves from BTs (Corona)...

And here is the REALITY today...

Another thing people missed from this comparison...

Is how dead bodies are specifically handled to keep others from getting harmed...

And....this is the REALITY today

Can you say damn?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:

@Jag85 said:

I have already seen it and that's what I replied. You're looking for things that aren't there. The Division specifically also had the same thing that it portrayed through the trailer or backstory. It just chose to have more varied gameplay. It's the same as Kojima's whose cutscenes tell you one thing but gameplay is totally out of sync.

All the examples I mentioned have the same theme, actually much harsher than DS might have. Low on supplies, isolation, quarantine, losing loved ones etc etc. But all of them still had engaging gameplay or at least much much more engaging than DS. So, just because DS is a literal walking simulator that doesn't mean it predicted something that those didn't.

Oh and people are not relying on 'delivery boys' per se. On the wider logistics, sure but probably not whatever Kojima tried to show. If anything the movie Contagion is far far more accurate in predicting it than whatever any game did.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jag85  Online

@pc_rocks:

Exactly, you're looking for things that just aren't there. No way is a zombie apocalypse or nuclear fallout comparable to a real viral pandemic. A real viral pandemic involves an invisible threat. Zombies and bandits are visible threats. Death Stranding deals with an invisible threat. People are not trying to survive from zombies or bandits, but are trying to survive from mere contact with other normal people.

Depending on where you live, people are absolutely relying on delivery services, especially in the more badly-hit places. Delivery services are getting over-burdened with orders. And beyond the delivery services, local volunteer groups are forming to help out locals with deliveries and supplies. Delivery workers are gradually becoming unsung heroes of this crisis. I'm not aware of any previous apocalyptic games or movies that has ever highlighted the important role that delivery workers play in such a pandemic. Death Stranding is wholly unique in that regard, and stands on its own.

P.S. Contagion was inspired by the SARS outbreak in parts of East/Southeast Asia during the 2000s. The movie presents a "what if" scenario of how such a SARS-like virus could spread worldwide. COVID-19 is basically an evolution of that earlier SARS virus.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup  Online

@boxrekt said:
@Jag85 said:

Don't forget the major survival mechanic in Death Stranding...

Players have HOLD THEIR BREATH have or had on MASKS to protect themselves from BTs (Corona)...

And here is the REALITY today...

Another thing people missed from this comparison...

Is how dead bodies are specifically handled to keep others from getting harmed...

And....this is the REALITY today

Can you say damn?

We were all wrong to doubt him, what a genzuz.

Side note- also invented the "camera"

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85  Online

@uninspiredcup:

Come on, bruv. You know that's just a bad translation. He clarifies what he means in the follow-up tweet:

He just means that he added a fully functional in-game digital camera to MGS. Which was indeed something new for the time, certainly in a 3D environment. I'm certainly not aware of any earlier games that had a fully functional in-game camera for taking digital photos in a 3D environment.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:

@pc_rocks:

Exactly, you're looking for things that just aren't there. No way is a zombie apocalypse or nuclear fallout comparable to a real viral pandemic. A real viral pandemic involves an invisible threat. Zombies and bandits are visible threats. Death Stranding deals with an invisible threat. People are not trying to survive from zombies or bandits, but are trying to survive from mere contact with other normal people.

Depending on where you live, people are absolutely relying on delivery services, especially in the more badly-hit places. Delivery services are getting over-burdened with orders. And beyond the delivery services, local volunteer groups are forming to help out locals with deliveries and supplies. Delivery workers are gradually becoming unsung heroes of this crisis. I'm not aware of any previous apocalyptic games or movies that has ever highlighted the important role that delivery workers play in such a pandemic. Death Stranding is wholly unique in that regard, and stands on its own.

P.S. Contagion was inspired by the SARS outbreak in parts of East/Southeast Asia during the 2000s. The movie presents a "what if" scenario of how such a SARS-like virus could spread worldwide. COVID-19 is basically an evolution of that earlier SARS virus.

The Division, the Contagion, TLOU, RE all did exactly that. RE less so but it all was about surviving against an invisible enemy. What you're describing is exactly what I said, the main logistics yet but the society is in no way are dependent on delivery services per se. Not yet. People due to fear of going out, yes but nothing has stopped functioning yet. What you're describing is an extremely extrapolated version. We will have way bigger problems to deal with before we go to that stage.

I know what inspired Contagion but it's far more accurate to predict a scenario like this and so did Bill Gates.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jag85  Online

@pc_rocks: Sorry bruv, but you're reaching like mad. Equating a zombie apocalypse to an actual viral pandemic. Seriously? Since when did zombies become an "invisible" threat? Get real.

Again, what part of the world are you even talking about? The pandemic is at different stages in different places. It's progressed far more than you think in certain places. IIRC, you said you live somewhere over in Asia? AFAIK, the Coronavirus situation in most of Asia, outside of China, is nowhere near as bad as it is over here in Europe, which has now replaced China as the epicenter of the pandemic.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 watercrack445

@i_p_daily said:

Uh, something original for $500.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By I_P_Daily

@watercrack445 said:
@i_p_daily said:

Uh, something original for $500.

You willing to pay for another man's shit, how about using that $500 to pay for a psychiatrist.

You're a few peanuts short of a Snickers lol.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nepu7supastar7  Online

@Jag85:

Most zombie games and movies *do* involve a viral pandemic. Some to lesser extents but it's more than just zombies that are the threat. The whole point is to not get infected so you won't turn into one. Zombies are just part of the symptom. The virus is the real enemy, which is invisible.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jag85  Online

@nepu7supastar7: Zombies can only infect you by biting you. You're not going to catch a virus by a zombie coughing on you, or giving the zombie a handshake, or breathing the same air, or touching the same surfaces. You don't have to wear a mask or gloves when you go outside during a zombie apocalypse. In a real virus, the threat is minute infectious particles which can be anywhere, i.e. invisible threat. In a zombie virus, the threat is a zombie bite, i.e. visible threat. Completely different ball park.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 watercrack445

@i_p_daily: I'm joking. I only said that to rile you up.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nepu7supastar7  Online

@Jag85:

That's.....not always true and that depends on the movie/game/show in question. Sometimes, like in the Walking Dead: it is also extremely contagious to the point where everyone can get it. Whether you're bitten or not. The T virus in Resident Evil could spread air born too. Or the Rage virus in 28 Days Later where you can get it through exchange of fluids. The disease in Last of Us only needs to be inhaled through deadly spores that grow from the ground.