Knack Claims another Victim | Outsells DonkeyKong

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Knack Launched in japan bundled with every PS4 system, and seeing as the PS4 sold 322k, Knack also sold 322k.

Not only has knack destroyed Mario, but now it's going after donkey kong.

Let's compare sales from both game in japan

KnackDonkey kong Tropic Freeze
322k38k

It's also worth noting, Knack has a 100% attach ratio and despite the PS4 having a much smaller user base than the Wii U in japan, it still managed to outsell donkey kong by 6x

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I didn't know Knack was bundled in Japan.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

That game needs to be put into the grave with all the other shitty games.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I bet they just love that pack-in.

/sarcasm

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

What a horrible game to inflict on 322 thousand people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So the Japanese's first taste of the PS4 is Knack

Yes, this console is primed for success there

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

Mario beat by Knack ONLY in the UK, while it fares better in US and Japan

DK beat by Knack only in Japan, but fares better in UK and US.

Then again, I think DK has since been less and less Japanese ever since Rare got the place.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I played the knack demo few days ago in the store and while i was planning to get it later since most of the time whatever people on the internet hate on is actually good gotta say i think for once the internet might be right as i didnt enjoy the demo that much so will probably buy at $19 or lower lol.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Yes, this console is primed for success there

You made me giggle slightly ;)

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I played the knack demo few days ago in the store and while i was planning to get it later since most of the time whatever people on the internet hate on is actually good gotta say i think for once the internet might be right as i didnt enjoy the demo that much so will probably buy at $19 or lower lol.

it's not a bad game at all. just too basic and generic for most. that's what earns the negative reception

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

PS4 sold 322k already in japan?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

most of the people who are saying knack is awful haven't even played the game, so ya can just shut up to be fair.

It's a solid well made game, it ain't a blockbuster game (IT NEVER WAS MEANT TO BE) but it was a fun game to play,

But yep thats what gaming has become now if it ain't trying to reach for high glory blockbuster triple A status then it's just complete rubbish and don't even go near it, shame how shallow gaming has become. and yet we still hold high regards to many snes games when reality is all the games were just side scolling rubbish, 1 button mashes.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

because the japanese love something that is Kawaii

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

most of the people who are saying knack is awful haven't even played the game, so ya can just shut up to be fair.

It's a solid well made game, it ain't a blockbuster game (IT NEVER WAS MEANT TO BE) but it was a fun game to play,

But yep thats what gaming has become now if it ain't trying to reach for high glory blockbuster triple A status then it's just complete rubbish and don't even go near it, shame how shallow gaming has become. and yet we still hold high regards to many snes games when reality is all the games were just side scolling rubbish, 1 button mashes.

Thats the sad reality of gaming now, if its not open world, dosent have million options to chose from, dosent have 4 million endings, dosent allow you to steal peoples cars or has the best of the best gameplay then the game is bad!

while im not sure if knack actually has a good story i personally will still give it a try later on even after seeing how simple the gameplay is.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CrashNBurn281

@finalstar2007 said:

@bezza2011 said:

Thats the sad reality of gaming now, if its not open world, dosent have million options to chose from, dosent have 4 million endings, dosent allow you to steal peoples cars or has the best of the best gameplay then the game is bad!

while im not sure if knack actually has a good story i personally will still give it a try later on even after seeing how simple the gameplay is.

Ill try it when it is free on PS+.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

17 people own and use a WiiU on this planet. What did you expect?

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Knack > Final Fantasy 9

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

KNACK's body-count is mounting, next, Zalda

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bezza2011

@crashnburn281 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@bezza2011 said:

I actually enjoyed the gameplay, it was simple yes but because of it's non serious approach, it was a good game, yes it wasn't great, but it was solid, the story was ok aswel, i mean the jokes were awful and i'm not sure where they was going with KNACKs voice and actions but overall it just wasn't a bad game, i mean we all rave on how good crash bandicot was and yet all you did on that game was to get from point a to point b and jumping on peoples heads, same with lets say mario a massive fan favourite and i love the games, but again all you basicly did was jump on peoples heads and get to the end. and mark cerny even said, this was never ment to be a great game it was meant to be a simple game for people who wanted to cross over from mobile phone games (teenagers or younger kids) and it wasn't that hard and it was fun, and it is also just a throw back to some of the greats in this genre from back in the day. nout wrong with it. but of course if it isn't serious or triple AAA no one likes it no more,

I mean remember the days of ps2 when we had 100s of games floating around and now if it ain't AAA it isn't any good. it's crazy

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Man, Knack is the new Mario. Nintendo should just buy the character from Sony. Knack has dominated.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Knack should have came bundled with the console in all regions

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Knack looks better than a Pixar movie, just amazing !!!

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CrashNBurn281

@bezza2011 said:

@crashnburn281 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@bezza2011 said:

I actually enjoyed the gameplay, it was simple yes but because of it's non serious approach, it was a good game, yes it wasn't great, but it was solid, the story was ok aswel, i mean the jokes were awful and i'm not sure where they was going with KNACKs voice and actions but overall it just wasn't a bad game, i mean we all rave on how good crash bandicot was and yet all you did on that game was to get from point a to point b and jumping on peoples heads, same with lets say mario a massive fan favourite and i love the games, but again all you basicly did was jump on peoples heads and get to the end. and mark cerny even said, this was never ment to be a great game it was meant to be a simple game for people who wanted to cross over from mobile phone games (teenagers or younger kids) and it wasn't that hard and it was fun, and it is also just a throw back to some of the greats in this genre from back in the day. nout wrong with it. but of course if it isn't serious or triple AAA no one likes it no more,

I mean remember the days of ps2 when we had 100s of games floating around and now if it ain't AAA it isn't any good. it's crazy

It was also a lot easier to rent a game at Blockbuster, instead of forking out 60 dollars for a game that is just ok. I am all for supporting developers, but purchasing a game that I will beat n no time, that s only ok is kind of expensive. Maybe developers should consider renting games digitally. Try before you buy. I would be inclined to pay for a movie rental price for a multiday rent so that I could evaluate a game.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

lol good. Nintendo need a wake up call because you know those numbers are low because literally no-one has bought a WiiU.

Hopefully Knack gets a sequel too and is even more frustrating to play, in that oldskool kinda way.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bezza2011

@crashnburn281 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@crashnburn281 said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@bezza2011 said:

It was also a lot easier to rent a game at Blockbuster, instead of forking out 60 dollars for a game that is just ok. I am all for supporting developers, but purchasing a game that I will beat n no time, that s only ok is kind of expensive. Maybe developers should consider renting games digitally. Try before you buy. I would be inclined to pay for a movie rental price for a multiday rent so that I could evaluate a game.

You may actually have just made yourself a business and probably the greatest thing i've heard yet. What if this happened, What if on the PS4 and Xbox One allowed you to rent the game for a small fee of say $5 for 5days of play, in which time you get the game on your console for a time limit of 5days just like how ps plus works with it's free games, think about the amount of money they could make out of renting the games first and then people maybe inclined to buy them,

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

#BasedCerny

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#30 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

What a horrible game to inflict on 322 thousand people.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

That's possibly the saddest video game sale related news I've ever heard. That crappy beat em up doesn't deserve to be mentioned near the platforming masterwork that is Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. The amount of careful, detailed crafting and creative design that went in to Tropical Freeze is something everyone should experience. That kind of quality and going well beyond the status quo is something that should be greatly rewarded. There are very few games in the industry as well made or unafraid to give the player a proper, satisfying challenge.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

That game needs to be put into the grave with all the other shitty games.

Sony wants to get rid of it so they bundle it with every PS4.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#33 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Man, Knack is on fire.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Sweenix:

its only because they're selling more Knack ps4 bundles. its not like people are going out of their way to go and buy Knack LOL. sucks for Killzone Shadowfall though, that FN Knack is outselling it now. the new one must be really bad.

yea, Killzone is not doing too great.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@Sweenix:

its only because they're selling more Knack ps4 bundles. its not like people are going out of their way to go and buy Knack LOL. sucks for Killzone Shadowfall though, that FN Knack is outselling it now. the new one must be really bad.

KZ SF sold over 2 million in 2 months, so its doing pretty well actually.

On Topic, Knack is the better game, so it 's seems right it's selling better.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Well, Knack is an original game from the amazing Mark Cerny. Donkey Kong Floppical Freeze is a rehash of some SNES game.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Sweenix:

KZ SF sold over 2 million in 2 months, so its doing pretty well actually.

On Topic, Knack is the better game, so it 's seems right it's selling better.

my link is about users trading the game in after buying it....

but yea, most of those Killzone sales were probably bundle deals. and users seem to trading the game back soon after finishing it, or trying it. idk...Killzone just isn't a great game. its good though, generic, but good. they need to let the franchise go imo.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Where's that joker meme in this thread about everyone losing their minds about something not happening the other way ?

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

And if it wasn't bundeled with the PS4 then only 10 people would have bought it.

rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

i really enjoyed knack

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

You know what's funny is that Nintendo games are exactly what you're describing only actually well made with a lot more thought put in to them.

Also those SNES sidescrollers would kill you in about 2 seconds if you button mashed. Those games required precision and some thought. I'll admit I haven't played Knack, but based on all the lets plays and reviews I've watched it's a very simplistic brawler with a lot less finess and variety than most actual platformers on the market.

DKCTF requires a lot more thought to play and a metric ton more thought was put in to making that game. It's a testament to video game craftsmanship. It looks like Knack was made for the sake of being made.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#42  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

That's a great way to start off the new gen: Knack.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@tyloss said:

PS4 sold 322k already in japan?

yup

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I think Knack's got the whole, It's so bad it's good thing going for it. Seems everyone wants to try it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Knack's biggest crime is being generic and average. It's not broken. It's nothing special but it is a decent demo reel for particle effects on the PS4.

Why people expect anything more at launch is beyond me.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Knack is more a demo launch game if anything.

@bezza2011 said:

So true.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

Excellent news

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I have a funny feeling donkey kong tropical freeze's lifetime sales will be significantly higher than knack by the end of this gen. Knack is just selling okay because it's a launch title for the PS4.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

Knack was one of the few launch titles for the PS4, not to mention one of the few next-gen ones. I wouldn't compare that to anything.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@RedentSC said:

Excellent news

A third tier platformer outselling a first tier platformer is excellent news? (not that it did, this is just a troll sweenix thread who is comparing launch bundles to a standalone game).