Klobrille: Microsoft is preparing investors on potential acquisitions of gaming studios

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/i89vsl/microsoft_is_preparing_investors_on_potential/

I thought the news about Sony supposedly running around to every third party publisher trying to procure timed exclusive deals and felt weird to me.

Why would Sony be seemingly in such a hurry to throw such massave amounts of money around doing this, at anyone who will listen, considering the dominant position the PS4, and by all engagement and marketing metrics, the PS5 is in.

Sony must know something we dont know. Something about this gave me the feeling Microsoft must have done something big hehind the scenes, and that Sony are responding to some huge move by MS that we dont yet know about.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Hmm, interesting to say the least.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

So why didn't they buy WB?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

@Ant_17:

Maybe because it never made sense?

If they could own batman and lord of the rings licenses they sure, it's worth 4B

Not having those makes it less appealing

I think a purchase of Konami's IPs makes more financial sense

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69366 Posts

I am not a big fan of more acquisitions but I know fanboys love it, well because they are shills.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

The way MS handles their studies right now i hope not one purchase happens, all they want is fillers for game pass they just want quantity and quality doesn’t matter to them

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@sheep99: I feel the same, they destroy studios much like EA.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7141 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/i89vsl/microsoft_is_preparing_investors_on_potential/

I thought the news about Sony supposedly running around to every third party publisher trying to procure timed exclusive deals and felt weird to me.

Why would Sony be seemingly in such a hurry to throw such massave amounts of money around doing this, at anyone who will listen, considering the dominant position the PS4, and by all engagement and marketing metrics, the PS5 is in.

Sony must know something we dont know. Something about this gave me the feeling Microsoft must have done something big hehind the scenes, and that Sony are responding to some huge move by MS that we dont yet know about.

sony buying third party exclusives has nothing to do with this. we have seen what xbox will have at launch and so did sony. besides we already have silent hill.

this has to do with sony trying to sell 120 million consoles in five years. to do that you need as many exclusives you can get over the competition and have the most popular franchises to get that exclusive deal.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

They should just buy sega like how its supposed to be.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

@sakaixx said:

They should just buy sega like how its supposed to be.

I've been saying that since OG Xbox. :)

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Sony isn't throwing around money as some response to a Microsoft secret.

They simply want to retain as much of their core base of players as possible in the shift to next gen.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

So instead of growing the existing 15 new studios you have - keep throwing money and the problem and see if that helps. Well done microsoft

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

LOL. Damage control by Klob

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11054 Posts

If they keep adding studios without bringing out content for any of the 15 they already have, then I know the ship is sinking. They blamed COVID for Halo's lackluster performance, now you want to buy up more dying studios on the cheap so you can prey on their upcoming projects and shuffle them to GP.

Granted, all the studios they bought have exit clauses, meaning they won't be shut down or can go on their way if things don't work out. I think a lot of these purchases are just a marketing move anyway. Few things of real significance will come out of them.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mowgly1
@BenjaminBanklin said:

If they keep adding studios without bringing out content for any of the 15 they already have, then I know the ship is sinking. They blamed COVID for Halo's lackluster performance, now you want to buy up more dying studios on the cheap so you can prey on their upcoming projects and shuffle them to GP.

Granted, all the studios they bought have exit clauses, meaning they won't be shut down or can go on their way if things don't work out. I think a lot of these purchases are just a marketing move anyway. Few things of real significance will come out of them.

Klobrille is misleading. As always!

This is not about buying new studios or what their annual accounts filing really says, or means It says, in quite general terms, that they will be investing in Xbox studios but there is no specific activity that “investors” are being prepared for.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

LOL. Some you Sony fannies try too hard. You complain that they don't have games and they are not investing in games and now you are complaining that they are investing in games. 😂

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sakaiXx

Seems like they following netflix strategy very closely. Microsft easily able to cover the debt mounting from these huge production.

Though always wondered how these streaming platforms can really sustain such expenses. Netflix is around $12billion in debt all thanks to those expensive production.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@sakaixx said:

Seems like they following netflix strategy very closely. Microsft easily able to cover the debt mounting from these huge production.

Though always wondered how these streaming platforms can really sustain such expenses. Netflix is around $12billion in debt all thanks to those expensive production.

The production are one time expenses that generate content that is behind a perpetual paywall.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mowgly1
@Pedro said:

LOL. Some you Sony fannies try too hard. You complain that they don't have games and they are not investing in games and now you are complaining that they are investing in games. 😂

But it's not so hard for Xbox fans like Klob trying to mislead people. Mislead even his own Xbox community.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sakaiXx

@Pedro said:
@sakaixx said:

The production are one time expenses that generate content that is behind a perpetual paywall.

And for customers to stay new ones to come you have to perpetually generate new content. New, good content.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11054 Posts

@mowgly1 said:

But it's not so hard for Xbox fans like Klob trying to mislead people. Mislead even his own Xbox community.

Yeah, that's true. Xbox stans are looking so hard for wins that they championed services and acquisitions. They're scraping for any positive news to cling to, even when it's not there. The worst thing about Xbox gaming are the Xbox insiders.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

They both have money to buy studios and make deals , but Microsoft has more money than Sony.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Capcom, Sega and BluePoint would be nice acquisitions. BluePoint would be great for reviving older ip.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

Capcom, Sega and BluePoint would be nice acquisitions. BluePoint would be great for reviving older ip.

Will never happen.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Tessellation: MS as a whole does, their gaming division does not.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5860 Posts

@Tessellation said:

They both have money to buy studios and make deals , but Microsoft has MASSIVELY more money than Sony.

CORRECTION

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mowgly1

@tdkmillsy said:
@Tessellation said:

They both have money to buy studios and make deals , but Microsoft has MASSIVELY more money than Sony.

CORRECTION

Microsoft money is not the same as Xbox money. Xbox is on their own. Same like PlayStation. But PlayStation has more money than Xbox

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44108 Posts

Well Microsoft doesn’t seem to be playing around now do they. It’ll take awhile for all these studios to start bearing fruit but once they do it should be a pretty good and steady supply of content. Remember folks, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phlop_Spencer

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@mowgly1 said:

Yeah, that's true. Xbox stans are looking so hard for wins that they championed services and acquisitions. They're scraping for any positive news to cling to, even when it's not there. The worst thing about Xbox gaming are the Xbox insiders.

couldn't agree more. Just constant shilling of any morsel of positive news that can be spun as a win. Truly the most disgusting fanbase.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phlop_Spencer
@Archangel3371 said:

Well Microsoft doesn’t seem to be playing around now do they. It’ll take awhile for all these studios to start bearing fruit but once they do it should be a pretty good and steady supply of content. Remember folks, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

MS has been the fat out of shape last place marathoner for the last 10 years buddy - still hasn't come close to the finish line

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5860 Posts

@mowgly1 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@Tessellation said:

CORRECTION

Microsoft money is not the same as Xbox money. Xbox is on their own. Same like PlayStation. But PlayStation has more money than Xbox

Xbox and Playstation are not companies

Microsoft bought Minecraft and Microsoft where rumored to be looking to buy WB.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I don't think Sony securing exclusivity deals is new, pretty sure they were doing it with PS4, and they are probably doing it in force right now to gain an edge early next gen. I think it is smarter for MS to buy studios because they will just get the same Rise of the Tomb Raider reaction should they ever try to grab anything big, whereas Sony gets a free pass on keeping Final Fantasy 7 Remake off Xbox. Spider-Man being kept off anything but Sony consoles for the Avengers games seems to be the most reactionary people have gotten about them securing exclusivity, and it doesn't seem like that's going to do them any harm. Seems to me their big sin there wasn't so much making the arrangement, if the goal is to keep people off of Xbox they should have just done that, keep Spider-Man off Xbox, had they allowed Spider-Man DLC on PC I don't think anybody would give a shit.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

@mowgly1 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@Tessellation said:

CORRECTION

That doesnt make any sense.

Thats like saying Xbox acquired Obsidian.

Microsoft invests money in Xbox Division, and any profits go to Microsoft.

Also, the CEO of MS (Sataya Nadella) said he is fully behind Phil in whatever he wants to do, even if it is taking a loss on hardware.

What you said is silly and wishful thinking.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phlop_Spencer

@navyguy21: you don’t understand how budget allocations work do you?