Kitase confirms duration of FF7 Remake's first portion...

  • 106 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for lundy86_4
#1 Edited by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

Link.

Original Tweet is below, but in Japanese (so get ya weeb goggles on.) It seems we get until the end of Midgar, which a lot of people speculated, but it seems there have been some additions to make it viable as a standalone game. The dude touches on finessing character growth and boss placements to seemingly increase playtime...

Jag posted the translation a few posts down, so credit where credit is due.

@Jag85 said:

Translation:

Here’s How Long Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 Will Last In Term of Story

“Good day everyone, I’m Kitase, the producer of Final Fantasy VII Remake, ” says Kitase in his new statement. “There had been a raging wave of developments related to Final Fantasy VII Remake, from the sudden announcement in May, the release date reveal in an orchestra concert held in Los Angeles on June 9, and a playable demo at E3. But I’d be glad if all of our fans are delighted with the many surprises after waiting for so long.”

“In doing a remake, what we first emphasized was to depict Midgar, which symbolized the world setting of the original Final Fantasy 7 the most, in a charming way. We newly redesigned the interior structure of Midgar, and added new episodes as well as depictions of the daily lives of citizens who live there. Ultimately, just by depicting the story until the original’s Escape From Midgar, we already reached a huge capacity with a pack of 2 Blu-ray discs, which should have enough density and volume for the world setting and storyline.”

“To go along with that, we have optimized character growths and boss monster placements for this game, completely reconstructing it as a single standalone game, which we think will have become a title worth playing enough. We plan to develop the Final Fantasy 7 remake project into multiple titles in the future, but we hope you will look forward to the release of the first title, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, on March 3, 2020.”

The official statement shared by Yoshinori Kitase should clear any confusion surrounding this upcoming Remake. It is not really a Remake as much as it is a reimaging of the core Final Fantasy VII story. Every aspect of the game has been expanded in such a way that it will feel like a full experience.

Avatar image for Chutebox
#2 Posted by Chutebox (44633 posts) -

Lame. Suck it

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#3 Edited by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Lame. Suck it

Yeah... I'm not sure how they're padding Midgar to 20 hrs+. I guess Kitase was also asked a few days ago (via Twitter,) how many installments will be made, and he said they don't know... Yeah... The story's set in stone... It should be 3 MAX, and even that sucks.

Avatar image for Planeforger
#4 Posted by Planeforger (18039 posts) -

So what's going to happen when people inevitably get bored and grind to level 99 in the first episode?

Will they cap the first episode so that you can only reach, say, level 20?

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#5 Posted by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

So what's going to happen when people inevitably get bored and grind to level 99 in the first episode?

Will they cap the first episode so that you can only reach, say, level 20?

Take all you typed, throw it in the air and hope for an answer. I literally have no idea what type of plan they have with this... It may be that they cap. More likely your second point... Which sucks, because i've played FF7 countless times, and I got to the point where I would grind a shit load of levels in the first reactor.

Avatar image for fedor
#6 Edited by Fedor (5142 posts) -

Rumors abound of 50+ hours, new side quests and areas you can explore, and deeper/fleshed out lore into the antagonists and protagonists. Going to have to wait and see what it's all about.

Avatar image for Jag85
#7 Edited by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

Translation:

Here’s How Long Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 Will Last In Term of Story

“Good day everyone, I’m Kitase, the producer of Final Fantasy VII Remake, ” says Kitase in his new statement. “There had been a raging wave of developments related to Final Fantasy VII Remake, from the sudden announcement in May, the release date reveal in an orchestra concert held in Los Angeles on June 9, and a playable demo at E3. But I’d be glad if all of our fans are delighted with the many surprises after waiting for so long.”

“In doing a remake, what we first emphasized was to depict Midgar, which symbolized the world setting of the original Final Fantasy 7 the most, in a charming way. We newly redesigned the interior structure of Midgar, and added new episodes as well as depictions of the daily lives of citizens who live there. Ultimately, just by depicting the story until the original’s Escape From Midgar, we already reached a huge capacity with a pack of 2 Blu-ray discs, which should have enough density and volume for the world setting and storyline.”

“To go along with that, we have optimized character growths and boss monster placements for this game, completely reconstructing it as a single standalone game, which we think will have become a title worth playing enough. We plan to develop the Final Fantasy 7 remake project into multiple titles in the future, but we hope you will look forward to the release of the first title, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, on March 3, 2020.”

The official statement shared by Yoshinori Kitase should clear any confusion surrounding this upcoming Remake. It is not really a Remake as much as it is a reimaging of the core Final Fantasy VII story. Every aspect of the game has been expanded in such a way that it will feel like a full experience.

Which is more-or-less what we were expecting. That they're planning to make Midgar into an open-world city that you can actually explore.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#8 Edited by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Translation:

Here’s How Long Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 Will Last In Term of Story

“Good day everyone, I’m Kitase, the producer of Final Fantasy VII Remake, ” says Kitase in his new statement. “There had been a raging wave of developments related to Final Fantasy VII Remake, from the sudden announcement in May, the release date reveal in an orchestra concert held in Los Angeles on June 9, and a playable demo at E3. But I’d be glad if all of our fans are delighted with the many surprises after waiting for so long.”

“In doing a remake, what we first emphasized was to depict Midgar, which symbolized the world setting of the original Final Fantasy 7 the most, in a charming way. We newly redesigned the interior structure of Midgar, and added new episodes as well as depictions of the daily lives of citizens who live there. Ultimately, just by depicting the story until the original’s Escape From Midgar, we already reached a huge capacity with a pack of 2 Blu-ray discs, which should have enough density and volume for the world setting and storyline.”

“To go along with that, we have optimized character growths and boss monster placements for this game, completely reconstructing it as a single standalone game, which we think will have become a title worth playing enough. We plan to develop the Final Fantasy 7 remake project into multiple titles in the future, but we hope you will look forward to the release of the first title, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, on March 3, 2020.”

The official statement shared by Yoshinori Kitase should clear any confusion surrounding this upcoming Remake. It is not really a Remake as much as it is a reimaging of the core Final Fantasy VII story. Every aspect of the game has been expanded in such a way that it will feel like a full experience.

Which is more-or-less what we were expecting. That they're planning to make Midgar into an open-world city that you can actually explore.

I'll implement into the OP. Thanks.

We definitely expected Midgar, but I hope that it's sufficient, and not just broken into these segments with no sequel close-by.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#9 Edited by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@fedor said:

Rumors abound of 50+ hours, new side quests and areas you can explore, and deeper/fleshed out lore into the antagonists and protagonists. Going to have to wait and see what it's all about.

I genuinely hope so, but I don't see what they're gonna do besides fleshing the ever-loving shit out of Avalanche.

Avatar image for Planeforger
#10 Posted by Planeforger (18039 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@Planeforger said:

So what's going to happen when people inevitably get bored and grind to level 99 in the first episode?

Will they cap the first episode so that you can only reach, say, level 20?

Take all you typed, throw it in the air and hope for an answer. I literally have no idea what type of plan they have with this... It may be that they cap. More likely your second point... Which sucks, because i've played FF7 countless times, and I got to the point where I would grind a shit load of levels in the first reactor.

Hmmm...actually, they could completely avoid this issue by making each episode a standalone game.

So...everyone could start Episode 2 at level 1 (some bonuses could appear for completing episode 1), and you could grind to level 99 all over again. The you'd start Episode 3 at level 1, and so on.

That would also allow them to call each episode a 'full' game, so they can charge $60 per episode.

Avatar image for fedor
#11 Posted by Fedor (5142 posts) -

@lundy86_4: They could go deeper into Daddy Shinra, Heidegger, and The Turks. Or allow you to travel to other sectors and such. They'll end up getting my money regardless though, I'm too weak to say no.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#12 Edited by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@fedor said:

@lundy86_4: They could go deeper into Daddy Shinra, Heidegger, and The Turks. Or allow you to travel to other sectors and such. They'll end up getting my money regardless though, I'm too weak to say no.

Ooooh, that's true. The Turks could definitely be fleshed out... Heidegger could be interesting as that moronic enemy. At the forefront, I can definitely see Rufus being fleshed out. He was given daddy issues in the original.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#13 Posted by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

Hmmm...actually, they could completely avoid this issue by making each episode a standalone game.

So...everyone could start Episode 2 at level 1 (some bonuses could appear for completing episode 1), and you could grind to level 99 all over again. The you'd start Episode 3 at level 1, and so on.

That would also allow them to call each episode a 'full' game, so they can charge $60 per episode.

Very true. I would feel really short-sold if that were the case. Especially given they are breaking up a beloved game.

Avatar image for Chutebox
#14 Posted by Chutebox (44633 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:
@Chutebox said:

Lame. Suck it

Yeah... I'm not sure how they're padding Midgar to 20 hrs+. I guess Kitase was also asked a few days ago (via Twitter,) how many installments will be made, and he said they don't know... Yeah... The story's set in stone... It should be 3 MAX, and even that sucks.

Ya, just cancelled my preorder. If this portion is just to the end of midgar, it's going to at least be three releases. **** this noise.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#15 Edited by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Ya, just cancelled my preorder. If this portion is just to the end of midgar, it's going to at least be three releases. **** this noise.

Shit, eh? I'm waiting... At least for the first couple releases. There's so little shown that you really can't get your bearings with what you're buying. Not a great business strategy.

Avatar image for lebanese_boy
#16 Posted by lebanese_boy (15065 posts) -

I never played FF7. Maybe I'll give this a look once they release all the parts.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#17 Posted by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@lebanese_boy said:

I never played FF7. Maybe I'll give this a look once they release all the parts.

Play the original, modded, on PC. It takes a potato. The original game is a staple of my childhood, but naturally has it's own shortcomings.

This Remake seems more like a re-imagining, just broken up into unknown parts.

Avatar image for lebanese_boy
#18 Posted by lebanese_boy (15065 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:
@lebanese_boy said:

I never played FF7. Maybe I'll give this a look once they release all the parts.

Play the original, modded, on PC. It takes a potato. The original game is a staple of my childhood, but naturally has it's own shortcomings.

This Remake seems more like a re-imagining, just broken up into unknown parts.

To be honest I'm not much of an oldschool rpg guy, the only reason I am even remotely interested in this remake is because of the modernized gameplay.

Avatar image for Ghost120x
#19 Edited by Ghost120x (5381 posts) -

**** SE. They are trying milk fans of this game hard. Having never played FF7 I'm just going to finish playing the original.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#20 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -

Glad I was never hyped for it. If they ever finish the whole game and release it as a complete edition down the road I may give it a shot. No interest in episodic shit.

Avatar image for raining51
#21 Posted by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

None of this a problem ok none of it.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#22 Posted by I_P_Daily (12020 posts) -

The interesting and fucking stupid part was "we plan to develop FF7 remake project into multiple titles in the future.

What a stupid way of saying episodic without saying episodic.

Like I said, stick with the original people.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
#23 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1601 posts) -

If I don't have to switch discs four times, I'm gonna be super disappointed.

Avatar image for osan0
#24 Edited by osan0 (15438 posts) -

i suspected as much.

midgar is only a small portion of the game though. if they are planning to scale up the rest of the game in a similar manner we may not see this done until the PS6 and X3 come out. it could take 3-4 similar sized extra episodes just to cover the first disc.

apparently they have fleshed it out compared to the original so hopefully it still holds up and turns out well. still....so long in development and thats as far as they could take it.

the cost and complexity of modern games development.....it's certainly taking it's toll.

edit: i still think it's looking very promising though....has to be said.

Avatar image for subspecies
#25 Posted by Subspecies (556 posts) -

Solution: wait.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#26 Posted by Archangel3371 (28125 posts) -

I’m fine with this myself as I pretty much expected it to be like that. I have faith that it’ll be a sufficiently worthwhile experience if what they showed off at this year’s E3 is anything to go by. That boss fight was just so damn awesome and the gameplay looks fantastic.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#27 Edited by BoxRekt (1701 posts) -
@ezekiel43 said:

If I don't have to switch discs four times, I'm gonna be super disappointed.

Rejoice, your wish has be heard and granted.

..................................................................................................................................................

I know this thread was created to cast a negative spin on another Sony AAA title that PS fans will be enjoying early next year, but it's a good opportunity to see flip flopping of arguments go from "bu but the content" to, "Oh well I never really cared about that dweeb crap anyway" lol.

For the fake disappointment poster trying to make an issue about this game's size or length, here is some good or maybe for you bad news for you.

E3 2019 - Final Fantasy 7 Remake Will Span Two Discs, Square Enix Confirms

By Kevin Knezevic and jeremy winslow on June 14, 2019 at 2:38PM PDT

Square Enix's E3 2019 press conference started with an in-depth presentation of Final Fantasy VII Remake for PlayStation 4. The publisher gave an overview of the game's revamped combat system, which mixes real-time action with the familiar but altered Active Time Battle system. We also learned that the game will be *massive*, featuring two Blu-ray discs' worth of gameplay content--and that this initial release won't cover the entirety of Final Fantasy VII.

It seems the sheer amount of content is why it'll take up so much space. Square Enix had previously said the Final Fantasy VII remake would come in multiple parts or episodes. As producer Yoshinori Kitase explained during an E3 press preview, however, the first "game" is "set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience,"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-span-two-discs/1100-6467649/

"Bu but it's just a 20hr unfinished cash grab guys?"

It actually appears to be more of a full game than most other AAA's these days.

Oh well

literally every speculation or criticism voiced in this thread was savagely address in single press release, what now?

Avatar image for boxrekt
#28 Posted by BoxRekt (1701 posts) -
@subspecies said:

Solution: wait.

Tip: never take negative impressions of bitter fanboys at face value, it's usually BS.

Avatar image for djoffer
#29 Posted by djoffer (1371 posts) -

Mehh as long as it’s a lengthy game I really don’t see the problem with paying full price for each game! Only concern for me is probably if SQ needs five years to make each episode, then it could be a bit ridiculous...

Avatar image for boxrekt
#30 Edited by BoxRekt (1701 posts) -
@djoffer said:

Mehh as long as it’s a lengthy game I really don’t see the problem with paying full price for each game! Only concern for me is probably if SQ needs five years to make each episode, then it could be a bit ridiculous...

If you really want to get technical, we could say the same thing for every game that has sequels?

Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? MGS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4?

All these games took years to complete their stories, no one complained. Is that because the dev didn't tell us the stories weren't finished?

FFVII devs are saying it's a stand alone experience, just like those other titles and it's 2 blu-ray disks.

The only difference is they are letting us know up front it's going to take more than one game to finish the story.

Obviously, they are adding additional content. As long at it's fleshed out I wouldn't be too butthurt.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#31 Posted by mojito1988 (3637 posts) -

This is just too funny. Maybe in 20 years you MIGHT get to see the entire game! So exciting!

Avatar image for boxrekt
#32 Edited by BoxRekt (1701 posts) -
@mojito1988 said:

This is just too funny. Maybe in 20 years you MIGHT get to see the entire game! So exciting!

Nice spin in light of the original message of the thread getting derailed.

6/10

Avatar image for tormentos
#33 Posted by tormentos (29189 posts) -

@fedor said:

Rumors abound of 50+ hours, new side quests and areas you can explore, and deeper/fleshed out lore into the antagonists and protagonists. Going to have to wait and see what it's all about.

Better hope so migmar was the damn begining of the game,they better offer me a real bang for my dollar or i will not buy it,i certainly got more than 100 hours from FF7,if this is at least 50 hours is ok,but still suck the fact that you are confined to migmar,they better not screw us over having the complete game there and just unlocking portions by making you pay more.

Avatar image for speeny
#34 Posted by Speeny (1764 posts) -

First episode ending at Midgar is what I expected. But honestly, as someone previously said I might just hold off and wait for a collection of the episodes of some sort. (Depending on how fast they release each one.) It's exciting playing them along with everyone else. I also want to still keep the original fresh in my mind seeing as I played it for the first time recently, but...we'll see.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#35 Posted by Random_Matt (4244 posts) -

Highly immoral in my view, they are only doing this because they know the fanbase will buy it and they will milk them for as much money as possible. There are quad layer blu ray out there, SE just decided not to use it.

Avatar image for saltslasher
#36 Posted by SaltSlasher (1141 posts) -

Are people paying $60, for potentially just 1/3 of a game that was announced 4 freaking years ago, or do you actually get the whole game, and paying full price now so you can wait for the rest of the game.

I'm surprised there isn't legions of butt hurt know it alls slamming this game for taking 5 years to release.

Avatar image for adsparky
#37 Posted by adsparky (1408 posts) -

Well, for those that are saying this game took 5 years to make are wrong; yes, it was announced 5 years ago, but last year there was a communicate from the developers saying that they haven't done anything, but that they're gonna start for real this time, and well, here we are now.

Avatar image for Basinboy
#38 Posted by Basinboy (13897 posts) -

I have no issue paying more money for an expanded take on FFVII. I would prefer to have everything at once, but I am not naive to the reality of game development and I am not against playing what I can once it’s ready.

I do hope the endgame of part 1 has some bite to it. I can foresee a situation where the full potential of the battle system isn’t realized since the majority of the game still awaits, which would be a flat note to what appears to be an otherwise tremendous segment.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#39 Posted by sakaiXx (5662 posts) -

Dunno why people make a fuss about midgar. That section of ff7 is easily the longest other than when in junon. Cd2 and cd3 combined only took around 10-15 hours to complete.

Avatar image for 2mrw
#40 Posted by 2mrw (5868 posts) -

Waiting for the complete version confirmed

They think they can maximise the sales by doing multiple games, this could actually hit it

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#41 Posted by I_P_Daily (12020 posts) -

@adsparky said:

Well, for those that are saying this game took 5 years to make are wrong; yes, it was announced 5 years ago, but last year there was a communicate from the developers saying that they haven't done anything, but that they're gonna start for real this time, and well, here we are now.

And you believe that, well I have a bridge to sell you, its called the Sydney Harbour bridge and it can be yours for the tidy sum of 100k, its worth millions so you interested???

Avatar image for adsparky
#42 Posted by adsparky (1408 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@adsparky said:

Well, for those that are saying this game took 5 years to make are wrong; yes, it was announced 5 years ago, but last year there was a communicate from the developers saying that they haven't done anything, but that they're gonna start for real this time, and well, here we are now.

And you believe that, well I have a bridge to sell you, its called the Sydney Harbour bridge and it can be yours for the tidy sum of 100k, its worth millions so you interested???

Sure, I'll buy it, but I'll pay you after you personally deliver it to my house.

Avatar image for tormentos
#43 Posted by tormentos (29189 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

Are people paying $60, for potentially just 1/3 of a game that was announced 4 freaking years ago, or do you actually get the whole game, and paying full price now so you can wait for the rest of the game.

I'm surprised there isn't legions of butt hurt know it alls slamming this game for taking 5 years to release.

Is say to be like 50 hours that is ok,i am not happy with the game been episodic even less been confined to just migmar,but if they manage to pull 50 down ours of just migmar damn how much gameplay will the whole episoded have.

Didn't see you complain on your other 7 accounts for crackdown dude.

Avatar image for djoffer
#44 Edited by djoffer (1371 posts) -

@boxrekt: mehh don’t think you can really compare it with normal games in that sense. Unless they are going to change the game drastically and not just add to it, then this will end on a giant cliffhanger and if we then have to wait another five years before we can continue the story and reconnect with the characters it will be a problem imo.

That being said I will pick up a ps4 pro up tomorrow, so I can play this day one:)

Avatar image for boxrekt
#45 Edited by BoxRekt (1701 posts) -
@djoffer said:

@boxrekt: mehh don’t think you can really compare it with normal games in that sense. Unless they are going to change the game drastically and not just add to it, then this will end on a giant cliffhanger and if we then have to wait another five years before we can continue the story and reconnect with the characters it will be a problem imo.

That being said I will pick up a ps4 pro up tomorrow, so I can play this day one:)

Dude, it's ALREADY been shown to have been changed DRAMATICALLY, lol like what are you even talking about?

It's literally a new game all together only using the FF7 story line as a rough base for the game's narrative.

Avatar image for djoffer
#46 Edited by djoffer (1371 posts) -

@boxrekt: first off all, easy with the attitude bro I know this is SW, but this topic isn’t SW related so try and have a normal conversation for once..

Also while a ton of stuff has changed in the gameplay department, I haven’t read anything about them changing the base story, goals, characters etc...

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#47 Posted by lundy86_4 (53362 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

I know this thread was created to cast a negative spin on another Sony AAA title that PS fans will be enjoying early next year..

Got that tinfoil hat on today, eh? I'm quite excited for the game personally... Though, i'll likely be waiting until at least the second section is released.

Avatar image for omegamaster
#48 Edited by omegaMaster (1284 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:

Highly immoral in my view, they are only doing this because they know the fanbase will buy it and they will milk them for as much money as possible. There are quad layer blu ray out there, SE just decided not to use it.

I fear that each episodic will be released every year or two years. Depending on the number of episodic releases (I predict 4-8), that would be very infuriating.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#49 Posted by Random_Matt (4244 posts) -
@omegamaster said:
@Random_Matt said:

Highly immoral in my view, they are only doing this because they know the fanbase will buy it and they will milk them for as much money as possible. There are quad layer blu ray out there, SE just decided not to use it.

I fear that each episodic will be released every year or two years. Depending on the number of episodic releases (I predict 4-8), that would be very infuriating.

Probably at $50 a piece.

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
#50 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5246 posts) -

So, am I the only one that cares that they are butchering the game? Like no one else even bats an eyelash over the fact this game will be nothing like the original... every new piece of footage I see looks more and more like a hack n' slash... why aren't the other JRPG fans up in arms over this? Is this what you all want moving forward? This generic horse shit?