Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn GS Review: 9

Avatar image for onesiphorus
#1 Posted by onesiphorus (2821 posts) -

GameSpot has recently posted its review for Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn and gave it a 9.10. This game is an enhanced remake of the 2010 Wii game.

Review link

Good:

- Devilish mode adds an optional, but welcome, challenge to the campaign

- Captures the same charming visuals as the original game

- Kirby's additional traditional transformations allow for a smoother platforming experience

Bad:

- Levels haven't been altered to account for Kirby's new transformations, which seems like a lost opportunity

- The train sections control poorly

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#2 Posted by SecretPolice (35085 posts) -

Ya just can't make this stuff up. lolol :P

Avatar image for Litchie
#3 Posted by Litchie (23698 posts) -

They added challenge? Huh.. Might be worth it to play now.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (32753 posts) -

Nintendo is the only console producing great games.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#6 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5696 posts) -

Would've preferred a Switch port, but well deserved for such an amazing game.

Avatar image for sealionact
#7 Posted by sealionact (3791 posts) -

I pretty much ignore scores, because individual preference dictates which games I buy based on reviews and demos. Not scores.

Having said that, its laughable that the remake of a 9 year old game that offers nothing innovative is awarded a 9.

Avatar image for Litchie
#8 Posted by Litchie (23698 posts) -
@princessgomez92 said:

Would've preferred a Switch port, but well deserved for such an amazing game.

lol, I didn't even look. I just assumed it was for Switch. I'm not getting anymore 3DS games.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#9 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4346 posts) -

Really? Jesus Christ, Nintendo getting rewarded for another YEARS-old straight up port. Must be a Tuesday.

Avatar image for jaydan
#10 Posted by jaydan (2201 posts) -

This game originally scored lesser when it came out on the Wii.

Avatar image for Oemenia
#11 Posted by Oemenia (10364 posts) -

@jaydan said:

This game originally scored lesser when it came out on the Wii.

Amazing how the Nintendo bump works.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#12 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36055 posts) -

In come the conspiracies...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for x_karen_x
#13 Posted by X_Karen_x (500 posts) -

It a game Nintendo milk to wii to wiiu to 3ds to now switch. It time nintendo with this mind make the game call Harvet Moon for switch to call this the day.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#14 Posted by Archangel3371 (27568 posts) -

Never got around to picking the game up on the Wii so I’d like to get this on the 3DS. I would have preferred this on the Switch though. Oh well.

Avatar image for speeny
#15 Posted by Speeny (1505 posts) -

@princessgomez92: So would I honestly. I don’t turn my 3DS on much anymore.

Avatar image for The_Deepblue
#16 Edited by The_Deepblue (772 posts) -

@jaydan: Sometimes games or works of art gain more appreciation in certain circles over time. It always happens. Glad that Gamespot acknowledged their mea culpa with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, for example.

Anyways, I really enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn on Wii. Not sure if I will get this version, though.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#18 Posted by MonsieurX (38989 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Really? Jesus Christ, Nintendo getting rewarded for another YEARS-old straight up port. Must be a Tuesday.

Much better than a year old port

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#19 Posted by robert_sparkes (2914 posts) -

I've always found the Kirby games on the easy side. A 9 seems a bit steep as they don't seem to have changed much since the nes.

Avatar image for jeezers
#20 Edited by jeezers (2638 posts) -

I'll pick it up on a sale, I dont have a Wii U but have a 2ds XL, I dont know why its so shocking to some people, its the same with donkey kong country returns and Mario 64 on DS, they are offering you a great game that was previously isolated on a home console, anytime you port a game to handheld well, you should get props. The switch is doing it as well, sure bayonetta 2 is great on Wii u, its even better when you can play it on the shitter or on a bus.

Avatar image for henrythefifth
#21 Posted by henrythefifth (2205 posts) -

nintendo keeps making games that are identical to previous titles in their series'.

Yet critics keep forgiving them this annoying fact.

Nintendo never gives us anything new, its just the same old with slightly better looks. So I think its time critics pull their heads outta nintendo's posterior, and started complaining. Time to reduce scores if the game is the same old, with nothing new. Even if the game comes from Nintendo.

Avatar image for raining51
#23 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Great!

Avatar image for cainetao11
#24 Posted by cainetao11 (36495 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Really? Jesus Christ, Nintendo getting rewarded for another YEARS-old straight up port. Must be a Tuesday.

LOL right?

Avatar image for raining51
#25 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Yaya I definitelyt hink this game is a gem and plenty of people playing it f or the series for the first it's really important IMO.

Avatar image for XVision84
#26 Posted by XVision84 (15786 posts) -

I like Kirby, but come on now. A 9 for a port?

Avatar image for raining51
#27 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

antoher great thing about htis Kirby game iss the 3D effects are above usual levels IMO and quite quality.

Avatar image for Willy105
#28 Posted by Willy105 (24806 posts) -
@XVision84 said:

I like Kirby, but come on now. A 9 for a port?

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/shadow-of-the-colossus-review-a-timeless-classic/1900-6416845/

Avatar image for FinalFighters
#29 Posted by FinalFighters (3137 posts) -

lol Why am i not shocked

Avatar image for XVision84
#30 Posted by XVision84 (15786 posts) -

@Willy105: Yup that's another example. Both great games, but both remakes/ports.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#31 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (28846 posts) -

@Litchie said:

They added challenge? Huh.. Might be worth it to play now.

This has to be the most wildly misunderstood thing about Kirby games.

You set the difficulty level on your own by deciding whether or not you want to find all the collectibles. Dying is inconsequential it doesn't matter that you can't die that's not the challenge of the game or any kirby game for that matter.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#32 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28846 posts) -

@Willy105 said:
@XVision84 said:

I like Kirby, but come on now. A 9 for a port?

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/shadow-of-the-colossus-review-a-timeless-classic/1900-6416845/

The port hypocrisy continues.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#33 Posted by SecretPolice (35085 posts) -

Fake news and Fake reviews.

Trust nothing you read and only 1% of what you hear and see.

Xbox Won... baby!!! :P

Avatar image for Litchie
#34 Edited by Litchie (23698 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Litchie said:

They added challenge? Huh.. Might be worth it to play now.

This has to be the most wildly misunderstood thing about Kirby games.

You set the difficulty level on your own by deciding whether or not you want to find all the collectibles. Dying is inconsequential it doesn't matter that you can't die that's not the challenge of the game or any kirby game for that matter.

I know about the challenge of collecting everything in Kirby games. But that's a pretty boring challenge when you don't get challenged to stay alive while doing it. It's not like it's more of a challenge to collect everything in Kirby games than it is in games you can die in.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#35 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28846 posts) -

@Litchie said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Litchie said:

They added challenge? Huh.. Might be worth it to play now.

This has to be the most wildly misunderstood thing about Kirby games.

You set the difficulty level on your own by deciding whether or not you want to find all the collectibles. Dying is inconsequential it doesn't matter that you can't die that's not the challenge of the game or any kirby game for that matter.

I know about the challenge of collecting everything in Kirby games. But that's a pretty boring challenge when you don't get challenged to stay alive while doing it. It's not like it's more of a challenge to collect everything in Kirby games than it is in games you can die in.

But isn't death in general becoming a non threatening event? It's almost meaningless to die in most games. Being set back on your progress is annoying, frequent check points make it even less necessary to worry about dying.

Epic Yarn is living in the future, where death isn't what matters.

Heck, even dark souls revolutionized the meaning of dying in a game.

Avatar image for Litchie
#36 Edited by Litchie (23698 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: Being set back on your progress you call "annoying". But I think it makes the game more fun, since then you care if you die or not and you try to improve yourself to make that not happen.

You mentioned Dark Souls. Dying in that is very threatening as you can lose progress permanently. That makes the games much more scary and intense, which I Iove. So I think they have a very good death system there. I'm really hyped for Sekiro, which some say is even worse to die in.

Playing Kirby games feels.. unecessary to me. I want more of a challenge. Both Super Mario and DK is more challenging and I very much prefer those over Kirby.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#37 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20500 posts) -

I don't know which Wii game I disliked more: this or Other M, (for different reasons, ofc). I think I might have literally fallen asleep while playing Epic Yarn too because of how boring it was.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#38 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28846 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Being set back on your progress you call "annoying". But I think it makes the game more fun, since then you care if you die or not and you try to improve yourself to make that not happen.

You mentioned Dark Souls. Dying in that is very threatening as you can lose progress permanently. That makes the games much more scary and intense, which I Iove. So I think they have a very good death system there. I'm really hyped for Sekiro, which some say is even worse to die in.

Playing Kirby games feels.. unecessary to me. I want more of a challenge. Both Super Mario and DK is more challenging and I very much prefer those over Kirby.

Kirby has always been on the easier side of things. I mean the main reason he floats is so that kids don't get punished for a poorly timed jump like in mario. Still I played triple deluxe and got all the collectibles and found the challenge to be adequate, never boring. Also the charm and various art styles make it easy on the eyes and a fun world to play around in.

Avatar image for raining51
#39 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

I wouldn't honestly be surprised if this game starts to sell out quite a bit ona number of levels.