uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58908 Posts

Good news, sequel to Heroes Of Might And Magic Kings Bounty announced.

Coming to consoles, but not a movie game, will sell badly.

King's Bounty 2 blending classic turn-based tactics and third-person fantasy next year

On PC, Xbox One, and PS4.

Classic tactical fantasy RPG King's Bounty is back next year in the form of King's Bounty 2, but it's shaking things up for the modern era by introducing third-person, open-world questing.

The original King's Bounty was designed by Jon Van Caneghem (who would later go on to create the Heroes of Might and Magic series) and released back in 1990 on Amiga, C64, and PC. Publisher 1C Entertainment picked up the rights to King's Bounty in 2007, and has been intermittently releasing new instalments in the years since.

King's Bounty 2, however, is the first numbered sequel in the series, with 1C promising that it will deliver a "fresh take" on the original's turn-based tactical action, blending "beloved genre tropes with a gritty realism".

Players can select one of three heroes, each with their own story, before embarking on a "non-linear, open-world adventure" across the blight-riddled land of Antara.

What that means in real terms is that the series' familiar isometric exploration has been replaced by rather more conventional third-person RPGing, with players ambling about, picking up quests, and having a right old natter with NPCs.

According to 1C, heroes' stories will change as the game progresses, with players' actions causing them to align with different ideals - Art, Order, and Anarchy - which, in turn, will affect how they're treated on their travels.

As for the combat, that sticks more closely to the series' roots, once again deploying strategic hex-based traversal. However, diverse environments and obstacles will apparently now make for more interesting tactical options, while squads will consist of unique units rather than faceless recruits, with players able to fight alongside the likes of humans, elves, and trolls.

1C also notes that new features like Line of Sight and surprise mid-battle tactical events should make for a "deeper, richer combat experience". You'll find approximately three seconds of King's Bounty 2's turn-based battling in the announcement trailer above.

King's Bounty 2 is currently scheduled to launch on Xbox One, PS4, and PC next year.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Wow. King's Bounty was my second favorite tactical RPG of all times after Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Awesome news. I liked more cartoony look and hand-drawn graphics of the first one. The 2nd looks too gritty and real.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

That is cool.

And I agree with the choice to bring it to consoles. Let more people experience this gem.

On a side note, Kings Bounty is actually older than Heroes of Might and Magic :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

Cool, glad to see everyone on the console market will get to enjoy even though it ain't no Cinematic Game, it's still worth a shot to see how this plays out.

@Maroxad said:

That is cool.

And I agree with the choice to bring it to consoles. Let more people experience this gem.

On a side note, Kings Bounty is actually older than Heroes of Might and Magic :P

I believe that Kings Bounty was actually an original series by the creators of HoMM as well.

granatowy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By granatowy
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Cool. It promises to be divine.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Great freaking news, loved the previous KB and will definitely pick this up day one!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Rad

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

I was intrigued TBH.

But the way the devs answer questions in their steam discussion page says their probably promoting it in Steam but it's actually Epic Exclusive.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58908 Posts

@Maroxad: Knew as soon as I typed that someone would say that, was expecting Jag.

@ivangrozny said:

Wow. King's Bounty was my second favorite tactical RPG of all times after Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Awesome news. I liked more cartoony look and hand-drawn graphics of the first one. The 2nd looks too gritty and real.

Completely agree, art-direction looks very generic now.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

Its an RPG.

It will not be very good.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Gaming is alive.

Unlike previous games, adventuring is third person rather than isometric. More serious and much more ambitious.

Loading Video...

The King is back!

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@ivangrozny: how do you know they aim for a more realistic look? No gameplay in that trailer I think?

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

is the game going to be good?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Yep, I will likely be getting this.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

I was thinking the other day that I'd really like a King's Bounty game on the Switch.

So...it's great to hear there'll be a new one, but slightly disappointing that I'll have to play it on my PC.