SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

I got Kingdom Hearts 3 yesterday, and I absolutely love it so far. It's a ton of fun and I love the characters and the setting and everything that the franchise stands for (and that killer music!). One of the biggest criticisms of the franchise is that the story makes no sense or that it's too complicated. I agree, trying to follow the story will make you go nuts with confusion, lol. But that got me thinking, when do video games stories ever make sense? Some of my favorites franchises like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid are equally nonsensical, maybe even more lol. I still love them, and will go out of my way to try to understand them. So what do you think, SW? Has a story made you like a game less? How much do you care about stories in your games? I guess it would depend on the franchise. It could go either way for me. A game like Last of Us has a story worth following.

Bonus Question: what are your favorite video game stories? Least favorite?

Double XP Question: who is playing Kingdom Hearts 3? Impressions?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah Bayonetta is a bunch of nonsense. Fun to play though. But I wish it was less gibberish

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

Isn't this a game where Goofy and Mickey Mouse hangs around with JRPG heroes?

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Isn't this a game where Goofy and Mickey Mouse hands around with JRPG heroes?

Ya they hand around quite a bit.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I think that almost all game stories are bad compared to other media. Even the best game storys would be average Tv series stories.

With KH3 I hate how they try to explain gameplay stuff by making the story even worse. Like Yen Sid makes up a reason why Sora is level 1, but doesn't explain why Donald and Goofy are. If you try to find a reason for Level 1 Sora, then please tell us why they still have the worst Gummy Ship? If you want to make your new Keyblade wearers stronger by putting them into the training world, tell us why the others aren't there? Also lol at Mickey and Riku talking about how they forgot to level up their keyblades. It just makes them look stupid. "Oh gosh, who would have thought we should have leveled our Keyblades before entering the world of Darkness?"

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

in this game there is tangled and frozen characters too. too girly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Frozen is the Disney character that sings that song?

Donno who tangled is.

See some promos, JRPG hero with head like giant tumor while children pop song plays. Looks magical.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I watched the GiantBomb Quick Look of KH3 for about 30min before realizing I don't ever want to play it - any of them.

Something about all those characters from other things in a JRPG... I just don't even want to pollute my head with whatever nonsense they're pushing to justify all that.

Some of my favorite video game stories:

• Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Morrowind
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

This game refuses to allow the gamer to play past the 15 minute mark without a cutscene.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Kingdom Hearts isn't hard to understand. It's just kinda stupid. But it's stupid in a good way. Like a family friendly, wholesome Disney movie. And its romance was just adorable. That's why I love it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Kingdom Hearts isn't hard to understand. It's just kinda stupid. But it's stupid in a good way. Like a family friendly, wholesome Disney movie. And its romance was just adorable. That's why I love it.

Nah! Its just plain stupid in the standard unintelligent way.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I stopped paying attention. Not to mention it's so cheesy and lame. It's a disappointing game though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yes. And that's the reason it should have an easier to follow story, and not be weighed down in anime emo convolution.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Kingdom Hearts' story is stupid, childish, makes no sense, most of the characters are bad-written, but somehow, the cutscenes are not boring. It worth it for the great Hack and Slash.

As for my favourite stories in gaming? Yakuza, without doubt.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

"Donno who tangled is."

Tangled is Rapunzel, silly! There were tons of commercials when the movie came out, remember? What other princess do you know with ridiculously long hair?! lol

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Dude, just come out of the closet already.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

I played all KH games there is and I still have no idea any story in the games I played. Ventus is in sora, sora has nobody and heartless, sora is not evil so his noboby/heartless is not bad so no memories or something, born roxas without any feeling, this, that, whatever the heck is before I just stopped caring and just play for the admittedly awesome gameplay. KH 1 had a simple plot too just how did all go wrong with future releases. KH chain of memories is also still relatively simple... just ignore the organization crap and whatever happened with riku and you will be fine.

I love persona 3. 10 something years later still remembers the journey.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Most video game stories are idiotic or nonsensical or pretentious.

Just give me a goal, and some fun gameplay. That's all I need.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Story is instant skip for me, i only want pure gameplay. If i want to watch the story in a game i will watch somebody on twitch while playing an actually game myself.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I really enjoy stories in the video games that I play, especially some of the crazy ones. It’s a large reason why I really enjoy the Metal Gear Solid games. I like the story in the Kingdom Hearts game well enough. I just picked up Kingdom Hearts 3 and I am looking forward to how it all wraps up.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

Same with Final Fantasy 8. You have to play the game more than once to finally understand wtf is going on

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

KH3’s narrative issues extend further than base coherence. More than anything, there are far too many cutscenes that serve little to no narrative function, though that has been an issue since the 1st entry (retelling the plot lines of the respective Disney film has been a crutch they’ve never moved beyond).

And generally speaking, games have improved immensely over the past 20 years in storytelling. Games that fail to iterate aren’t always hurt by it, but the games that do are voluminously enhanced because of it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Most video game stories are idiotic or nonsensical or pretentious.

Just give me a goal, and some fun gameplay. That's all I need.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

I got Kingdom Hearts 3 yesterday, and I absolutely love it so far. It's a ton of fun and I love the characters and the setting and everything that the franchise stands for (and that killer music!). One of the biggest criticisms of the franchise is that the story makes no sense or that it's too complicated. I agree, trying to follow the story will make you go nuts with confusion, lol. But that got me thinking, when do video games stories ever make sense? Some of my favorites franchises like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid are equally nonsensical, maybe even more lol. I still love them, and will go out of my way to try to understand them. So what do you think, SW? Has a story made you like a game less? How much do you care about stories in your games? I guess it would depend on the franchise. It could go either way for me. A game like Last of Us has a story worth following.

The bolded part right there is the most important part of a story. The characters are the driving force of a story. Even if the story is weak, if it has interesting characters that you enjoy watching and care about, then that makes the story worthwhile. Despite games like KH and MGS getting a lot of crap for their nonsensical stories, they're still fondly remembered after all these decades because they have fascinating characters that have left a strong impression on audiences.

As for the bonus question, the best video game stories I've seen are from visual novels, e.g. Clannad, Steins Gate, Muv-Luv, Ace Attorney, Grisaia, Fate/Stay Night, Higurashi, 428: Shibuya Scramble, etc. But visual novels are kind of their own thing, separate from regular video games. Among regular video games, my favourites include FFVII, Alundra, MGS2, Dragon Quest V, Soul Reaver 2, Sands of Time, Shadow of Memories, etc.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

JRPGs in general have bad, nonsensical stories. There's just something about the genre that attracts melodramatic shouting, improbable villains with lame god-complexes, cringey sexual moments, a million different awful names (SOLDIER, entelexia, fal'Cie, etc.etc.etc.), and last minute love-conquers-all deus ex machinas.

Don't get me wrong, I still play a ton of JRPGs, but the ones I've played with genuinely good storylines...I could probably count on one hand?

I guess the same goes for Japanese beat-em-up games as well. People don't play Bayonetta or Devil May Cry expecting a grounded, relatable story.

But yeah, if you want a Japanese game with a good story, Yakuza 0 is a good place to start. There are many Western adventure games, indie games, and some Japanese visual novels with good stories as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
deactivated-5cab66ac558b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
Member since 2018 • 78 Posts

Kingdom hearts never made any sense. I have no problems with game with a bad story as long as the gameplay is good and I absolutely love kingdom hearts gameplay.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Planeforger: Most JRPGs are typically aimed at teenage audiences, much like Shounen manga/anime, superhero comics/cartoons, and YA fiction. But nowadays, a lot of fiction targeted at teens (or even kids) are now enjoyed by adults who grew up with that stuff. Same goes for JRPGs. They might be played by a ton of adults, but their core demographic are still teens (especially Japanese teens). Since the average age of SW is 30 (according to a poll I remember), the average SWer is not the target audience for JRPGs.

And sexual moments in JRPGs? What do you mean by that? Sexual moments aren't exactly something JRPGs are known for... besides eroge RPGs.

But yeah, visual novels and adventure games are the only genres known for good storytelling in video games. Although there are some good stories outside of those genres as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Double XP Question: who is playing Kingdom Hearts 3? Impressions?

So the game is a ton of fun but the story is too complicated, Sony gamer right here folks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Pedro said:

This game refuses to allow the gamer to play past the 15 minute mark without a cutscene.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

Why are lemmings crapping on the game? Didn't it also come to Xbox?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

@blamix: all i know is squall is dead.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts
@ArchoNils2 said:

I think that almost all game stories are bad compared to other media. Even the best game storys would be average Tv series stories.

With KH3 I hate how they try to explain gameplay stuff by making the story even worse. Like Yen Sid makes up a reason why Sora is level 1, but doesn't explain why Donald and Goofy are. If you try to find a reason for Level 1 Sora, then please tell us why they still have the worst Gummy Ship? If you want to make your new Keyblade wearers stronger by putting them into the training world, tell us why the others aren't there? Also lol at Mickey and Riku talking about how they forgot to level up their keyblades. It just makes them look stupid. "Oh gosh, who would have thought we should have leveled our Keyblades before entering the world of Darkness?"

lmao, good points. The dialogue is a little awkward.

@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

So the game is a ton of fun but the story is too complicated, Sony gamer right here folks.

Says the guy who loves racing games.

@Jag85 said:

@Planeforger:

But yeah, visual novels and adventure games are the only genres known for good storytelling in video games. Although there are some good stories outside of those genres as well.

I used to get into visual novels, but they take forever. I played Danganronpa 1 & 2. I would like to play Steins Gate.

@Planeforger Yakuza 0's story is amazing. Loved that game!

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#34 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Game stories, if not convoluted garbage, are usually weak in narrative, character development, and plot devices. I can’t think of many games whose plot rises above even the trashiest literature.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

@sakaixx: you should look at the ending again and wait after the credits :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic: Exactly as they are made to be played not watched. Simple to learn yet hard to master, tell me how hard is a story to master?

That's what you cows don't understand, gameplay is the most important part of any game, but until Sony tells you otherwise you are stuck sitting there watching cutscenes and trying to understand them smh.