Kind of disappointed by both consoles and PC (Setup related)

• 66 results
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts
@Yams1980 said:

You can easily hide your pc anywhere. I have mine practically in another room so i don't have to hear it or see it.

All you do is get a powered USB cable and 1 usb hub (to plug mouse/keyboard/gamepad or usb headphones into), and an HDMI or DisplayPort cable thats long enough to reach your monitor. My PC is around 35 feet away from monitor/keyboard on the other side of the wall, and all i needed was a 35 foot displayport cable and a couple USB cables.

This setup provides zero noise and no ugly case to look at. Simple as hell. Been running my pc this way since 2001 and the best thing i ever done to avoid noise and clutter.

Main reason at the time was in the early 2000s GPUs and CPUs had terrible loud fans I couldn't stand but even now still is worth it because a gpu can still be noticeable if its 100% usage.

All my cabling is nearly hidden as well, its long enough i have the usb and display cables run along the wall mostly out of sight.

Liquid cooled GPUs and CPUs will make an Xbox or PS4 sound like an airplane in comparison. Seriously, PC acoustics have far outgrown console with the advent of easily accessible AIO cooling.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Maybe compromise like me and have your gaming pc on a tv with an xbox one controller hooked up. I agree with the mouse and keyboard thing but at least this way you will get the performance you want out of the frame rate.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

1440p Ultrawide 120 FPS, with Open Studio Headphones and Simulated Surround sound...

Nothing better, best FoV, best periperals and concentration.

My home theatre in the living room is nothing but a novelty.... even with HDR and proper speakers, you never have that same quality of audio.

That must be a really poor living room setup

Yeah.

I've played Hellblade with binaural recording and my Sennheiser HD 558. I expected to be wowed, based on some YouTube videos I'd seen prior, but it wasn't as impressive as a speaker system. I barely recognized the surround simulation. It still mostly felt like stereo. Almost no games have binaural recording. A lot of games do have simpler virtual surround options, but I've been gaming with headphones long enough that I know these features are gimmicks. I'm trying out "Windows Sonic for Headphones" right now. Testing the pod race in Star Wars Episode I. I notice no difference with the feature on and off. I watched this pod race two nights ago on the TV and was more impressed by the way sound was used for these rumbling, roaring, zipping vehicles.

I don't know if I even want an ultrawide monitor. I bought my ASUS MX27AQ only three and a half years ago for 460 dollars. I don't feel ready to buy another one. The dimensions of human vision are closer to 16x9 than 21x9. The clear part of your vision is narrower than 16x9. I guess the increased peripheral vision might be nice, the substitute for that I mean. I also checked out curved TVs prior to buying my 64 inch TV and found them skewed and ugly, no matter what distance I viewed them from. I was aware the whole time that the middle was farther away. The objects in the picture should have gently bent around my vision, but they didn't. Don't know if it's any better when sitting in front of a monitor, but I can't imagine why it would be better.

I just remembered another drawback of gaming on a PC. If it's a game designed for a controller, like Dark Souls and probably Sekiro, a table isn't that well suited for them. Either you keep your forearms on the edge of the table, which isn't that comfortable, or you hold the controller beneath the table, which is also awkward and sometimes causes you to bump the table. You could scoot farther back, but then you're not at the intended distance for your monitor. I don't know what platform to get Sekiro for now.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

I just remembered another drawback of gaming on a PC. If it's a game designed for a controller, like Dark Souls and probably Sekiro, a table isn't that well suited for them. Either you keep your forearms on the edge of the table, which isn't that comfortable, or you hold the controller beneath the table, which is also awkward and sometimes causes you to bump the table. You could scoot farther back, but then you're not at the intended distance for your monitor. I don't know what platform to get Sekiro for now.

A good chair that reclines with cushioned arm rests and an ottoman under the desk = hours of comfort. Bonus for adjustable height keyboard tray attached to desk: perfection.

NeutrinoWorks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 NeutrinoWorks
Member since 2018 • 75 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

1440p Ultrawide 120 FPS, with Open Studio Headphones and Simulated Surround sound...

My home theatre in the living room is nothing but a novelty.... even with HDR and proper speakers, you never have that same quality of audio.

Yeah.

I've played Hellblade with binaural recording and my Sennheiser HD 558. I expected to be wowed, based on some YouTube videos I'd seen prior, but it wasn't as impressive as a speaker system. I barely recognized the surround simulation. It still mostly felt like stereo. Almost no games have binaural recording. A lot of games do have simpler virtual surround options, but I've been gaming with headphones long enough that I know these features are gimmicks. I'm trying out "Windows Sonic for Headphones" right now. Testing the pod race in Star Wars Episode I. I notice no difference with the feature on and off. I watched this pod race two nights ago on the TV and was more impressed by the way sound was used for these rumbling, roaring, zipping vehicles.

I don't know if I even want an ultrawide monitor. I bought my ASUS MX27AQ only three and a half years ago for 460 dollars. I don't feel ready to buy another one. The dimensions of human vision are closer to 16x9 than 21x9. The clear part of your vision is narrower than 16x9. I guess the increased peripheral vision might be nice, the substitute for that I mean. I also checked out curved TVs prior to buying my 64 inch TV and found them skewed and ugly, no matter what distance I viewed them from. I was aware the whole time that the middle was farther away. The objects in the picture should have gently bent around my vision, but they didn't. Don't know if it's any better when sitting in front of a monitor, but I can't imagine why it would be better.

Great post, ggood to see more people thinking for themselves instead of falling for the 21:9 and headphone hype

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Nah just common sense Loud =| better.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Kali-B1rd
@ezekiel43 said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Yeah.

You've configured it wrong.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Starting to lean towards, "PC in the living room" personally.

It doesn't have to be any more ugly than a console if you get the right case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@kali-b1rd said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Yeah.

So insightful. You're a real benefit to have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@kali-b1rd said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

No one said that. Better speakers = better. He's probably right. You must have a crappy setup.

Also, LOL at aspect ratio being more important than picture quality. If you're a classic gamer and film lover, you'd be fine with everything from 4:3 to ultra widescreen. The choice is dependent on the game being played or the film being watched. Picture is always more important.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Kali-B1rd
@ezekiel43 said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Yeah.

If you have good headphones and can't get good positional audio you-are-doing-it-wrong.

I'm not your tech support.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Kali-B1rd
@ezekiel43 said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

No one said that. Better speakers = better. He's probably right. You must have a crappy setup.

Also, LOL at aspect ratio being more important than picture quality. If you're a classic gamer and film lover, you'd be fine with everything from 4:3 to ultra widescreen. The choice is dependent on the game being played or the film being watched. Picture is always more important.

"My headsts sound like crap, don't tell me I'm configuring them wrong"

"lol your speaker setup isn't good, because it doesn't sound as good as your headphones or its crap, or you configured it wrong" ... <--- Double Standard much?

Nah man... not buying that shit sorry. Competitive games benefit. wtf you on about movies for? I get it... a PS4 gamer...

The awareness you have sitting at a desk, headphones (configured properly LOL) and ultrawide, simply far more clear and focused.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts
@kali-b1rd said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@neutrinoworks said:
@kali-b1rd said:

Yeah.

I also had an amazing experience with headphones concerning that game. With Dolby atmos and virtual surround, it felt as if I was surrounded by voices from top to bottom. Considering Ezekial thinks headphones don't have directional hearing means he's probably never used a good set.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#65 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17765 Posts

I have a 5.1.2 Atmos setup and it sounds good, but I do get better directional audio with my headphones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@neutrinoworks said:

Yeah.

I also had an amazing experience with headphones concerning that game. With Dolby atmos and virtual surround, it felt as if I was surrounded by voices from top to bottom. Considering Ezekial thinks headphones don't have directional hearing means he's probably never used a good set.

You don't need to consider the situation or guess what kinds of headphones I have. I already revealed that. The Sennheiser 558 is good enough to simulate your binaural recording. You don't even need expensive headphones. I will say that the YouTube demos were more impressive than Hellblade's soundtrack. In practice, the results vary. The game's sound still sounded mostly like stereo. Speakers are better and less of a hassle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@kali-b1rd said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Yeah.

If you have good headphones and can't get good positional audio you-are-doing-it-wrong.

I'm not your tech support.

Then stop talking like you know what you're talking about. It's not hard to set up. There's very little room for error with binaural recording. You put on the headphones, leave the Windows audio settings what they're always on and select the binaural option in Hellblade's settings. I heard it. It just wasn't that impressive. I expected to be wowed based on the YouTube videos I watched prior.

You now know what kinds of headphones I have. I'm still convinced your novelty theater system sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

So I've played RE2 for an hour now. I readjusted my monitor's picture settings for deeper contrast beforehand and the depth of the colors and the graphics are pretty nice now. Probably not as nice as if I played this on my HDR TV, but pretty good. The binaural recording option doesn't compare to surround sound, though. It just doesn't. It's bullshit. Resident Evil 2 and Hellblade don't sound like the video below at all, they sound distinctly stereo.

Loading Video...