Killzone Shadow Fall sells 2.1 million copies worldwide.

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Congrats Sony and Guerrilla Games. Good to see them sell so well despite stiff competition from BF4 and COD. With KZSF and Knack selling so well, SCE is off to a strong start.

PS EU Twitter

NEWS | We've sold 2.1 million units of the #PS4 exclusive Killzone Shadow Fall globally! Thank you for your support! #4ThePlayers

SALES OF PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE TITLE, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, EXCEED 2.1 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

The Highly Acclaimed PS4 Launch Title Makes Great Contribution to the Expansion of the PS4 Platform

Tokyo, January 30, 2014 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the global sales of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) exclusive title, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, exceeded 2.1 million units*1 as of January 15, 2014. The latest installment in the award-winning KILLZONE™ franchise delivers a compelling storyline along with rich gaming experiences. The title has received significant acclaim from users worldwide, and has made a great contribution to the expansion of the PS4 platform.

“I am thrilled that so many users have been enjoying KILLZONE SHADOW FALL since the launch of PS4,” said Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS). “This title fully embraces the creativity of the development team at Guerrilla Games*2 based in the Netherlands, and is a perfect representation of what SCE WWS has to offer. SCE will continue to deliver exciting software titles, and is currently developing more than 30 titles including DRIVECLUB™, inFAMOUS Second Son™ and The Order: 1886™, which offer entertainment experiences only possible on PS4.”

The KILLZONE series, exclusive to PlayStation® platforms, covers the conflicts between the Interplanetary Strategic Alliance (ISA) and the Helghast Empire. KILLZONE SHADOW FALL introduces a new chapter of the saga on the ISA's stronghold, Planet Vekta. Play as Lucas Kellan, an elite soldier/intelligence officer of the Vektan Government who faces various challenges to stop the terrorist group Black Hand from destroying the planet. Guerrilla Games has continued to release updates for the title after its launch in North America and Europe, such as game patches which offer better support on both single and multiplayer modes. The team is also currently working hard on a multiplayer expansion pack with additional features, as well as preparing two FREE multiplayer maps for the KILLZONE community. The release dates for the DLC will be announced shortly.

SCE will continuously expand the world of PS4 through the introduction of attractive software titles and network services.

*1 Includes both Blu-ray Disc™ sell-in quantities and download version sales on PlayStation®Store.

*2 A studio under SCE WWS which develops the KILLZONE franchise.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

As the usual "nothing else to buy" and "it was bundled"

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Why do I seriously doubt that.

Still, congrats.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Bundled.

Shooter.

Not much else to buy.

Inb4ubutthurtjelly

Good numbers, but I'm not surprised.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Well, it beat Killzone 3. So good for them.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Well there isn't anything else to play on PS4 so its not surprising.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_can_haz

@MonsieurX said:

Dat early damage control and butthurt.

The "nothing else to buy" excuse doesn't work for KZSF. There's COD and BF4 to buy if you like FPSs. it had stiff competition and still sold extremely well, DEAL WITH IT.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Dayz sold half that in a 4 week period. Looks like pc destroys Halo: Space Nazi's.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

So like half of all PS4 owners own Killzone? That would be shocking if the PS4 had any good games. It's still sort of surprising.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

whoopty doo

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MonsieurX

@I_can_haz said:

@MonsieurX said:

The "nothing else to buy" excuse doesn't work for KZSF. There's COD and BF4 to buy if you like FPSs. it had stiff competition and still sold extremely well.

Talking about exclusives

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

FPS4, herp lé derp. That seems rather high, good for them. I'd take a working BF4 over Killzone if I owned a PS4 though.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Whelp....when there is nothing else to buy, and it forced down your throat, usually you settle for dogshit.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

The game is a flop in my opinion, they hyped up the levels being open when it was really just 1, the story lacked depth literally just space Berlin wall, they lacked music to develop atmosphere, yep just felt like a launch title cash in

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I_can_haz

So much lem butthurt and jelly already. :D Looks like my thread is off to a good start. Inb4 blackace meltdown

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Not really surprising since pretty much everyone who has bought a PS4 seems to have bought a copy. Not much else to play on the system. And before someone calls me a fanboy the same is true for the Xbone...no games to play yet on either system.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 I_can_haz
@MonsieurX said:

@I_can_haz said:

@MonsieurX said:

The "nothing else to buy" excuse doesn't work for KZSF. There's COD and BF4 to buy if you like FPSs. it had stiff competition and still sold extremely well.

Talking about exclusives

No rule stating people have to buy only exclusives, especially when it comes to FPSs that are a dime a dozen.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

VERY happy for Guerrilla games and Sony. Could end up outselling Killzone 2 despite much lower install base. Resistance Fall Of Man did 4 million as launch game so KZSF could surpass that...shooters.

I will say I was underwhelmed by the campaign. I had great graphics and solid gunplay/mechanics, but story(as usual) was a complete letdown. I hope they hired some MUCH better writers considering they are making a RPG now. MP was good(enjoyed having all weapons unlocked compared to grinding in BF4) although I don't care much for competitive MP in general so I didn't spend much time on it.

Also the exclusives angle doesn't work because Killzone had to compete against COD and Battlefield. What major competitors did Dead Rising 3, Ryse and Forza have(I guess you can say each other, but all 3 were so different that I doubt that)? Need For Speed and Assassin's Creed are not comparable to what Killzone was up against.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrongBlackVine
@Floppy_Jim said:

FPS4, herp lé derp. That seems rather high, good for them. I'd take a working BF4 over Killzone if I owned a PS4 though.

PS4 is going to have the best sales in EVERY genre(except platformers Nintendo has that market).

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

PS4 is going to have the best sales in EVERY genre(except platformers Nintendo has that market).

Orly?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Floppy_Jim

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

RTS? MMORPG? Visual novels? Flight sims?

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@Floppy_Jim said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

Every genre that is popular on console then. Visual novel is genre...is that a fancy name for a comic book?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

More KZ on the way. :D

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Floppy_Jim

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

Every genre that is popular on console then. Visual novel is genre...is that a fancy name for a comic book?

Think the Zero Escape series on DS/3DS/Vita, although that has puzzles to.

But yeah, it's a thing.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@MonsieurX said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

Orly?

If they were able to outsell Xbox One one COD and BF4 despite the timed exclusive BS and tons less marketing then other genres games should be easy. Probably won't outsell Xbox on FPS overall this year with Titanfall and Halo 5 being exclusives though. With multiplats I feel confident in that prediction.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

2.1 million copies on an install base of 4.2 million?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

RPGs and platformers will probably sell better on PC, as will strategy games in general. Shooters, too. Fighting games is a toss up, it's whatever the FGC decides. Last gen it was the 360. This gen, who knows.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 I_can_haz

@DarkLink77 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

RPGs and platformers will probably sell better on PC, as will strategy games in general. Shooters, too. Fighting games is a toss up, it's whatever the FGC decides. Last gen it was the 360. This gen, who knows.

Wrong, it was the PS3. I'm a huge fighting game fan and would know this. SF, SC, MK, DOA, etc. all sold better on PS3.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm glad a game like this sold well on the PS4, a bland FPS shooter that brings nothing new to the genre, I guess we will see more of those on the PS4. I have not played the game, but I'm pretty sure I read it does not support campain co-op online and using a microphone to chat online? These are things I take for granted now as a 360 owner, and while online co-op is not always needed it would have certainly benefited a showcase title like this. I'm happy for the studios who worked on this but I just don't think this is the right title to boast high sales for.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_can_haz

@Alucard_Prime said:

I'm glad a game like this sold well on the PS4, a bland FPS shooter that brings nothing new to the genre, I guess we will see more of those on the PS4. I have not played the game, but I'm pretty sure I read it does not support campain co-op online and using a microphone to chat online? These are things I take for granted now as a 360 owner, and while online co-op is not always needed it would have certainly benefited a showcase title like this. I'm happy for the studios who worked on this but I just don't think this is the right title to boast high sales for.

Online co-op is coming later for people that got the Season Pass and they've already patched in microphone support. Nice try tho', gotta give you points for at least being creative in your damage control.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

This proves that third party publishers should stop being so afraid to make titles for new consoles, rather than just porting a PS3 game to a next gen system.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Yawn. sales.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i'm not a fan of the franchise but i am always glad when people get to keep their jobs and keep eating.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Whatever strategy Guerilla took, it got them the moola.

Big ass win for them.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Riverwolf007

@I_can_haz said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Online co-op is coming later for people that got the Season Pass and they've already patched in microphone support. Nice try tho', gotta give you points for at least being creative in your damage control.

wait... kz launched with no mic support?

holy shyt that is just comedy.

lulz, way to go kz team. just when i try to go out of my way to not ridicule your 2nd rate franchise i find out something like this.

seriously though you are kidding right? who launches without mic support?

that just is too farfetched to believe.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@Riverwolf007: I like your perspective, very mature.

So much butthurt from Lemmings though

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

That's fine, it's good those 2 issues were addressed, but I still think that whenever they do add online co-op it might be too late. Like I said I take these things for granted on launch. I think the last 2 or 3 Halo and Gears games had minimum 2 player co-op campain support, it just adds value to fps games imo and is almost a standard on Xbox.

And by the way, my opinion of the game would be exactly the same if it came out on Xbox One....I'm sure it must be a fun game, I mean I love the FPS genre and right now I'm pIaying BF4 and I think it's awesome.....but from what I have heard about KZ, it's just a pretty FPS game that brings nothing new to the genre, so those high sales you are boasting about are just sending a message to the developers that this kind of game can sell very well....considering how last gen was saturated with fps games, I just don't see this as exciting news.....it's certainly good news overall, but if I heard that "The last of Us 2" sold that amount as a PS4 launch title, I would have immediately stepped out to buy a PS4.....a normal fps shooter, I'll pass for now and wait to see what's next.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

of course it did. there's no way the best shooter of generation eight was going to sell bad.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Riverwolf007

@BlessedChill said:

@Riverwolf007: I like your perspective, very mature.

So much butthurt from Lemmings though

it was mature until i just now found out they launched with no chat support.

now i'm thinking maybe they should starve a little to pay for their incompetence.

lol.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

Wrong, it was the PS3. I'm a huge fighting game fan and would know this. SF, SC, MK, DOA, etc. all sold better on PS3.

No it didn't. Including the Exclusive figthters on the 360, and a few close sales on multiplats, the 360 sold more fighting games than the PS3. BARLY. Then again, with bad selling nich garbage like Guilty Gear and Blazeblue who can blame anyone.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

The bundled argument holds no water.

1) It was never the only one to buy

2) You could buy the console without any games at all. It's not like the console was that much cheaper either ($10 cheaper? when adding a game). People who purchased that specific bundle wanted that specific game to play day 1.

Unlike something like Wii Sports or at one time Forza 2 (IIRC), which were the only way to get a new 360.

And great news. I've heard reports Guerilla is working on a new AAA IP after Shadow Fall. Can't wait to see what it is.

#GuerillaGods

#ThankYouSony

#BasedKaz

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By I_can_haz

@Jakandsigz said:

@I_can_haz said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

@StrongBlackVine said:
@Floppy_Jim said:

No it didn't. Including the Exclusive figthters on the 360, and a few close sales on multiplats, the 360 sold more fighting games than the PS3. BARLY. Then again, with bad selling nich garbage like Guilty Gear and Blazeblue who can blame anyone.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about as usual....

SOUL CALIBUR V

Soul Calibur V PS3 - 0.64 million sold

Soul Calibur V 360 - 0.52 million sold

MK9

MK9 PS3 - 2.4 million sold

MK9 360 - 1.79 million sold

Street Fighter 4

SF4 PS3 - 2.08 million sold

SF4 360 - 1.68 million sold

SFxTekken

SFxT PS3 - 0.69 million sold

SFxT 360 - 0.39 million sold

DOA5

DOA 5 PS3 - 0.45 million sold

DOA 5 360 - 0.22 million sold

Tekken 6

Tekken 6 PS3 - 2.6 million sold

Tekken 6 360 - 1.23 million sold

Tekken Tag 2

TTT2 PS3 - 0.68 million sold

TTT 2 360 -0.28 million sold

With the exception of a few games like Soul Calibur 4 and Injustice, every fighting game sold better on PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@GamingGod999 said:

Halo 4 sold about 10 million on an install base of 80 million... is it a flop by your logic?

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I hope they don't make another Killzone :x

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I will say the same thing i said to lems with their DR3 selling over 1mil. When there's nothing to buy, people are forced to buy shit they don't really want/care but they still do just to use their brand new system. Hell im getting KZ in couple of days and i don't really want to play the generic 7h campaign.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MonsieurX

@xboxdone74 said:

of course it did. there's no way the best shooter of generation eight was going to sell bad.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/battlefield-4 >http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/call-of-duty-ghosts> http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/killzone-shadow-fall

Not quite the best shooter of the generation

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@Joedgabe: why? All you have to do is not buy it. I personally enjoy Shadow Fall. Easily the best in the series.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Meh.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I wish the game was better. With that many people who bought it, it could have created a big fanbase, but, at this rate, it will just turn them away.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@Vatusus said:

@GamingGod999 said:

Halo 4 sold about 10 million on an install base of 80 million... is it a flop by your logic?

Halo 4 didn't sell 10 million though