Kill a franchise... Never to be heard from again...

• 149 results
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#101 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
@DocSanchez said:

Mario. This would force Nintendo to come up with something new.

Nintendo getting rid of Mario is like Marvel getting rid of Spider-Man. There would be an outrage.

reavis86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 reavis86
Member since 2013 • 223 Posts

@dracula_16: Super Mario Party is gonna be the funniest game released all year. I'm not sure what you've been smokin.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Call of Duty would be my first choice, then probably Uncharted. Although, Bethesda is destroying the Fallout franchise, so that wouldn't be a bad choice. Lol

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@AzatiS said:
@TheEroica said:

@AzatiS: I'm a sheep? I just made a thread bashing super smash brothers.... Nintendo sucked this E3. They did however make the most compelling console this generation... The switch is the perfect device for my busy life.

But, yeah, we're gonna have to disagree on uncharted.... It absolutely in no way sets the standard of third person adventure games in terms of gameplay. I can honestly say I was really bored through most of it. Most of that game felt like a shlog... Like a song stuck at 30 beats a minute....

Just so predictable and unevolved.... The worst part is that the last of us is one of my favorite games and it was done to such a higher degree than uncharted the games aren't even on the same planet.... The fact that u4 released AFTER the last of us made me feel like the dev got lazy.... It was a massive disappointment and I whole heartedly would axe it as a franchise because its a tired game with tired characters bogging down a talented developer.... CHOP!

I think nothing can be close to Uncharted, maybe Tomb but thats questionable too. That alone means its on the top of action/adventours TPS and for you to want to see this dead is weird.

I can understand your opinion now that you explained further but still ... best games out there shouldnt be gone, should be there to make the others try harder and try to surpass them. Uncharted 4 is by no means a lazy game or something ... you cant be lazy to provide something like Uncharted 4 ... MS tried to provide their own version and we saw the outcome. Tomb raider tries hard to top Uncharted series and still cant. You cant be wishing this game to die, its not right and fair to either the game let alone the whole genre it represents. Its like you wishing the top game of a genre to die .. just because its not for you.

Besides there are far worse franchises to choose from instead of Uncharted,we both know that so i dont see this is fair at all. Uncharted 2 was a phenomenal game, Uncharted 3 had its moments, Uncharted 4 was the first jaw dropping experience for consoles as far as exclusives go for a reason and played like a badass and Lost Legacy as good as ever with a different yet well done approach more or less. If you compare that to other franchises ... then you choose this one to die .. i dont know man, looks off.

But thats my opinion, in the end you can wish for everything to die, its your opinion. As for you being sheep ... i think there are franchises on Nintendo consoles that are worse than Uncharted so for you to praise Switch and stuff. Ehmm. You arent a sheep ? Nintendo fan will do then ?

Uncharted is lazy because it doesn't evolve. They do the same damn thing every game with the story; you think one of the main characters may be dead or sacrificed for the sake of the mission, but all is well in the end. However, even after all of that, the characters don't really progress from their usual shtick. They flex no creative muscle through the process, nor do anything interesting with the characters. It's like watching the movie Sahara(which is an awful movie), and sometimes playing it. For a story based game, this is a major sin in the process of development. Not only do you only play the game for like half of the game, but you're also stuck with a copy cat story from Indiana Jones, and boring 1 dimensional characters.

They definitely did a better job with The Last of Us.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: yes x 1000.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:
@TheEroica said:

@AzatiS: I'm a sheep? I just made a thread bashing super smash brothers.... Nintendo sucked this E3. They did however make the most compelling console this generation... The switch is the perfect device for my busy life.

But, yeah, we're gonna have to disagree on uncharted.... It absolutely in no way sets the standard of third person adventure games in terms of gameplay. I can honestly say I was really bored through most of it. Most of that game felt like a shlog... Like a song stuck at 30 beats a minute....

Just so predictable and unevolved.... The worst part is that the last of us is one of my favorite games and it was done to such a higher degree than uncharted the games aren't even on the same planet.... The fact that u4 released AFTER the last of us made me feel like the dev got lazy.... It was a massive disappointment and I whole heartedly would axe it as a franchise because its a tired game with tired characters bogging down a talented developer.... CHOP!

I think nothing can be close to Uncharted, maybe Tomb but thats questionable too. That alone means its on the top of action/adventours TPS and for you to want to see this dead is weird.

I can understand your opinion now that you explained further but still ... best games out there shouldnt be gone, should be there to make the others try harder and try to surpass them. Uncharted 4 is by no means a lazy game or something ... you cant be lazy to provide something like Uncharted 4 ... MS tried to provide their own version and we saw the outcome. Tomb raider tries hard to top Uncharted series and still cant. You cant be wishing this game to die, its not right and fair to either the game let alone the whole genre it represents. Its like you wishing the top game of a genre to die .. just because its not for you.

Besides there are far worse franchises to choose from instead of Uncharted,we both know that so i dont see this is fair at all. Uncharted 2 was a phenomenal game, Uncharted 3 had its moments, Uncharted 4 was the first jaw dropping experience for consoles as far as exclusives go for a reason and played like a badass and Lost Legacy as good as ever with a different yet well done approach more or less. If you compare that to other franchises ... then you choose this one to die .. i dont know man, looks off.

But thats my opinion, in the end you can wish for everything to die, its your opinion. As for you being sheep ... i think there are franchises on Nintendo consoles that are worse than Uncharted so for you to praise Switch and stuff. Ehmm. You arent a sheep ? Nintendo fan will do then ?

Uncharted is lazy because it doesn't evolve. They do the same damn thing every game with the story; you think one of the main characters may be dead or sacrificed for the sake of the mission, but all is well in the end. However, even after all of that, the characters don't really progress from their usual shtick. They flex no creative muscle through the process, nor do anything interesting with the characters. It's like watching the movie Sahara(which is an awful movie), and sometimes playing it. For a story based game, this is a major sin in the process of development. Not only do you only play the game for like half of the game, but you're also stuck with a copy cat story from Indiana Jones, and boring 1 dimensional characters.

It evolves in its own way, what more you want to see. Its like asking from a military FPS to evolve. Uncharted is top to what it does for a reason and for it being the top game on its own genre says alot. This isnt a genre like platformer to change things big time and make it work. Period

You need to understand that if something isnt for you or your taste doesnt automatically means game is lazy or bad or whatever. Its not for you thats all, means youre not into cinematic appeal games or not in Uncharted in particular and that is. Wishing for this franchise to go when there are so many others out there that are atrocious or milking their fanbase or even worse are the very same games after 20 years, sorry.

We are not here to argue what we like. I like uncharted games, you dont. So be it. But for uncharted to be the one you wishing to die among so many craps out there being far worse .. is another story

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

- Mario

- COD

- Atelier series

- Final Fantasy

- Uncharted

- Kirby

- Donkey Kong

- Sonic

- LoL

- Dota

- WoW

- Halo

- Gears of War

- Forza

- Destiny

- Fifa

- Madden

- Just Cause

- Rabbidz games

- Rayman

- Assassins Creed

- Gran Turismo

- Street Fighter

- BlazBlue

- Fortnite

- Overwatch

- Far Cry

- Football Manager

- Movie games

- Monster Hunter

- Most 2D indie games

- Dynasty Warriors

- Injustice

- Sword art online

Probably forgetting some more garbage.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@AzatiS said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:
@TheEroica said:

It evolves in its own way, what more you want to see. Its like asking from a military FPS to evolve. Uncharted is top to what it does for a reason and for it being the top game on its own genre says alot. This isnt a genre like platformer to change things big time and make it work. Period

You need to understand that if something isnt for you or your taste doesnt automatically means game is lazy or bad or whatever. Its not for you thats all, means youre not into cinematic appeal games or not in Uncharted in particular and that is. Wishing for this franchise to go when there are so many others out there that are atrocious or milking their fanbase or even worse are the very same games after 20 years, sorry.

We are not here to argue what we like. I like uncharted games, you dont. So be it. But for uncharted to be the one you wishing to die among so many craps out there being far worse .. is another story

That's where the problem lies. If the game was centered more around actual gameplay instead of climbing and running through scripted events and characters that never shut up, I could forgive all of it. A game with solid gameplay, I can forgive for having a lousy story, but these games are based on the stories themselves, and then work in some gameplay bits here and there.

I can forgive a game for having little gameplay, if it has a solid story, such as the first Telltale Walking Dead game, or To The Moon.

But Uncharted fits into neither of these. The gameplay is mediocre at best, and the story is largely in the same boat.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

I agree movie games can go never enjoyed one and probably never will. They always end up garbage.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@nintendoboy16: This is a highly hypothetical scenario. It couldn't happen. I just think it would be better in the long run.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By AzatiS
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

That's where the problem lies. If the game was centered more around actual gameplay instead of climbing and running through scripted events and characters that never shut up, I could forgive all of it. A game with solid gameplay, I can forgive for having a lousy story, but these games are based on the stories themselves, and then work in some gameplay bits here and there.

I can forgive a game for having little gameplay, if it has a solid story, such as the first Telltale Walking Dead game, or To The Moon.

But Uncharted fits into neither of these. The gameplay is mediocre at best, and the story is largely in the same boat.

Thats where the problem lies for your taste, thats what you all need to understand. To me Uncharted 4 was a blast with its cinematic appeal and production values. For others was a boredom because are not into this. Thats the experience Uncharted series is all about, if its not for you and you want more gameplay there are other options for you. That doesnt mean game is bad or needs to die, thats something youre are not into and based on your taste is boring.

Many tried to compete with uncharted, no rivals yet. Thats because its the best on its genre. Never forget that. Walkind dead cant evne think to compete with uncharted 4 in many fronts aside story and thats the case only for specific episodes that were strong and not all around. As Uncharted having holes in stories and becomes a chore at times so was Walking dead with some episodes being totally boredom.

The gameplay is a tight as ever and considering its genre it does everything it need to be done to be precise, tight and serve what this game is all about, that of cheesy flashy moves and movie like , wtf is happening action. With that being said if something isnt for you, you can go buy what is. Personally im not into Smash, i think is the same basic experience as it was 20 years ago. Ive played all of them. Should i say they deserve to die ? No, its not for me. Why ? Because for its genre and what it offers its good, there are far worse candidates for that.

When youll understand this game is not for you and not bad we can continue the debate. As long as Uncharted franchise is one of the best, if not the best, on its respective genre, telling me needs to die because you personally disliking it is another story.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#112 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@nintendoboy16: This is a highly hypothetical scenario. It couldn't happen. I just think it would be better in the long run.

your post was missing something so i fixed it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 DragonfireXZ95
@AzatiS said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Thats where the problem lies for your taste, thats what you all need to understand. To me Uncharted 4 was a blast with its cinematic appeal and production values. For others was a boredom because are not into this. Thats the experience Uncharted series is all about, if its not for you and you want more gameplay there are other options for you. That doesnt mean game is bad or needs to die, thats something youre are not into and based on your taste is boring.

Many tried to compete with uncharted, no rivals yet. Thats because its the best on its genre. Never forget that. Walkind dead cant evne think to compete with uncharted 4 in many fronts aside story and thats the case only for specific episodes that were strong and not all around. As Uncharted having holes in stories and becomes a chore at times so was Walking dead with some episodes being totally boredom.

The gameplay is a tight as ever and considering its genre it does everything it need to be done to be precise, tight and serve what this game is all about, that of cheesy flashy moves and movie like , wtf is happening action. With that being said if something isnt for you, you can go buy what is. Personally im not into Smash, i think is the same basic experience as it was 20 years ago. Ive played all of them. Should i say they deserve to die ? No, its not for me. Why ? Because for its genre and what it offers its good, there are far worse candidates for that.

When youll understand this game is not for you and not bad we can continue the debate. As long as Uncharted franchise is one of the best, if not the best, on its respective genre, telling me needs to die because you personally disliking it is another story.

It's not the best in its genre, though. The Last Of Us did a way better job, both gameplay and story wise. I even found the Tomb Raider reboot more interesting, because it had better puzzles aspects to the gameplay; and the bow was infinitely more satisfying to use. The story in Tomb Raider still sucked, but it did have better gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#114 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Poké-fuckin-mon!!!! Kill it now, please!

Smash Bros.

Uncharted

Gran Turismo

Assassin's Creed

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@phbz said:

Poké-fuckin-mon!!!! Kill it now, please!

Smash Bros.

Uncharted

Gran Turismo

Assassin's Creed

I'm still waiting for a true full 3D open world pokemon game, if gamefreak fails to deliver on that, the series can die yes.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 DocSanchez

@KBFloYd: You could always add a picture of a mentally handicapped child like you did last time.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By AzatiS
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:

It's not the best in its genre, though. The Last Of Us did a way better job, both gameplay and story wise. I even found the Tomb Raider reboot more interesting, because it had better puzzles aspects to the gameplay; and the bow was infinitely more satisfying to use. The story in Tomb Raider still sucked, but it did have better gameplay.

Again, different taste, different preferences. That doesnt mean Uncharted is bad and needs to die. Uncharted is for gamers like I am, who having fun with cinematic games. If you want "gameplay" games go play them, problem solved. I like all kind of different experiences from story mode only to gameplay only to cinematics to indies to you name it as long as they stand out because what they do is the best there is... And uncharted provides the best cinematic appeal any action/adventure TPS can even dream of.

There are far worse franchises out there with far worse experiences that dont excel in nothing that needs to go before Uncharted.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Sadly only way to kill a franchise is poor sales. I can think of many games that dont continue with the prior game having great sales. I'm sure they are out there, but an anomaly for sure.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 KBFloYd

@DocSanchez said:

@KBFloYd: You could always add a picture of a mentally handicapped child like you did last time.

lol when did i do that?

the little chinese girl in the media create thread? she was mentally handicapped?

do you have the link? lol i would have got modded for something like that.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 DocSanchez

@KBFloYd: You and I both know you got banned for it and were allowed back for some inexplicable reason. Because you just add sooooo much to system wars. Seriously I come on here for a banter not a chat to a bigot, talk to someone else.

Wazzupguys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

#121 Wazzupguys
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

what do you mean in the question? kill a franchise that is still active or that one that is dormant?

if the former: EA Sports games, Telltale games, Call of Duty and Battlefield.

if the latter: Virtua Fighter and Power Stone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#122 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@knight-k: OK, OK, I'll allow it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By KBFloYd

@DocSanchez said:

@KBFloYd: You and I both know you got banned for it and were allowed back for some inexplicable reason. Because you just add sooooo much to system wars. Seriously I come on here for a banter not a chat to a bigot, talk to someone else.

you have me confused with someone else son. i dont make fun of handicapped people.

i have never been banned from gamespot. just got suspended many times. charizard came close to banning me but for insulting people and derailing threads. i left system wars for my own account to not get banned. after like 6 months charizard left and i came back to system wars with a new head to not be so aggressive.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
@KBFloYd said:
@DocSanchez said:

you have me confused with someone else son. i dont make fun of handicapped people.

i have never been banned from gamespot. just got suspended many times. charizard came close to banning me but for insulting people and derailing threads. i left system wars for my own account to not get banned. after like 6 months charizard left and i came back to system wars with a new head to not be so aggressive.

You should practice SONY's-current gen 8 console leader- time proven Live, Learn and Love philosophy. You seem so angry over plastic and games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By KBFloYd

@Heil68 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@DocSanchez said:

You should practice SONY's-current gen 8 console leader- time proven Live, Learn and Love philosophy. You seem so angry over plastic and games.

angry?

you mean like i yell at my monitor punch the walls or yell at my family?

lol no.

getting owned in a game pisses me off. puts me in a bad mood.

but all this gamespot fights is nothing but lols. however charizard didnt see it that way. neither does doc sanchez burrito over here.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 DragonfireXZ95
@AzatiS said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:

Again, different taste, different preferences. That doesnt mean Uncharted is bad and needs to die. Uncharted is for gamers like I am, who having fun with cinematic games. If you want "gameplay" games go play them, problem solved. I like all kind of different experiences from story mode only to gameplay only to cinematics to indies to you name it as long as they stand out because what they do is the best there is... And uncharted provides the best cinematic appeal any action/adventure TPS can even dream of.

There are far worse franchises out there with far worse experiences that dont excel in nothing that needs to go before Uncharted.

It's not really that I want it to disappear, persay. I do wish that people, in general, would develop opinions of their own and not think every commercial and advertisement they see automatically means it's the best thing ever, which happens way more often than not. Call of Duty has been crap for a whole decade, and people were still lapping it up for a good while before a good portion finally wised up to how bad it is after so many years of the same thing; and even then, they probably only thought about that because their friends told them or something.

Unfortunately, because of the nature of any business, money = marketing = popularity. That's why fast food is so popular in the US, yet so atrociously bad, or horrible music sells like hotcakes if it has enough money pumped into advertisements, and of course, bad to mediocre video games sell like crazy due to commercials, and then many other devs try to copy the formula, not realizing that it's not the formula that necessarily made it a success, but the advertising machine behind the formula.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AzatiS
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@AzatiS said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It's not really that I want it to disappear, persay. I do wish that people, in general, would develop opinions of their own and not think every commercial and advertisement they see automatically means it's the best thing ever, which happens way more often than not. Call of Duty has been crap for a whole decade, and people were still lapping it up for a good while before a good portion finally wised up to how bad it is after so many years of the same thing; and even then, they probably only thought about that because their friends told them or something.

Unfortunately, because of the nature of any business, money = marketing = popularity. That's why fast food is so popular in the US, yet so atrociously bad, or horrible music sells like hotcakes if it has enough money pumped into advertisements, and of course, bad to mediocre video games sell like crazy due to commercials, and then many other devs try to copy the formula, not realizing that it's not the formula that necessarily made it a success, but the advertising machine behind the formula.

I dont think uncharted series are a hit because of commercial or advertisement alone. Check original Uncharted. As for COD, what made this franchise be a nuisance was the fact that we had a new installment every year/two years. In a single generation we had 8-9 COD games or something. If we had 2 or 3 we wouldnt feel like COD is bad. Original COD MW was sensational , MW3 was great for example. This is not the case for Uncharted though. Comparing COD with Uncharted is meeh. You have one of the most generic military FPS after a while with the best action/adventure TPS with the best cinematic appeal for cinematic fans like i am.

Also lets not talk about money = marketing = popularity when it comes to more "gameplay" oriented games that using popular icons to sell decent games at best. Mario golf, Mario Tennis, Mario party, Mario soccer, doctor Mario and tens of others using mario icon to sell. So lets not start with examples what popularity do to people with even better example like Diablo 3 that was undeniably a mediocre game yet made record sales just because is diablo and a blizzard game, nor games like Destiny that sold based on commercial and hype alone. There are far worse examples than Uncharted to mention here.

Again, if you dont like Uncharted i can understand. Game tries to give you a movie like feeling, a "wow" factor all over. A cinematic experience like no other. And it nails it over and over. So how is bad, it does what it supposed to in the first place ! It excels in everything supposed should be good about. Its like someone says to me that Mario Odyssey wasnt good because graphics werent as good when excels in what game is for as a platformer. Or someone say The walking dead is bad because is only story when the game is all about its story ... how is that possible to say game is crap or needs to die when it nails big time the reason of its existence in the first place is beyond me.

Anyways, i can understand games like uncharted is not for everyone but games offer exactly what they made for. Cinematic experience like no other and oh boy, they are the best at that along very few other games. If you dont like this style of games, i understand. Thats why we got so many options out there for all tastes. Personally I like it alot and i cant wait for similar experiences like TLOU2 , i cant wait for Spiderman as well and more top cinematic experiences. And beleive me, im not waiting them because of popularity or commercials ... im waiting for them because i like cinematic games alot and from what ive seen ill be having a blast once more because both TLOU 2 and Spiderman look dope as hell. I dont need any commercials or popularity, i just saw them play live.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Gran Turismo........ It's gone stale and boring now.

Mario......... He's had a good run, let's make a new IP eh Nintendo?

Zelda......... Same as Mario

COD.......... Needs no explanation

Halo.......... Stale and boring, new IP time!

Forza........ Just an endless cycle of the same game, new IP time?

AC........... Say no more

Gears......... LOL......why's it not dead already

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5873 Posts

If they keep whats good but re-invent so its a different enough game with improvements I'm happy with franchise's to continue.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Halo, such a mediocre franchise.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

God I hate threads like this, it just an open invitation for dipshit trolls and fanboys to try and, toss popular franchises under the bus.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 TheEroica  Moderator

@wazzupguys: I think I just mean, kill a franchise that isn't serving video game any longer... Maybe it still gets good review scores (cod and uncharted) but it's best day are behind it and it's just bogging down pretty good developers that could be doing things different.

Could also be a franchise you loathe...

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#133  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

CoD, Battlefield, Wolfenstein, Quake...

Kill them all!

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Could also be a franchise you loathe...

Or a franchise you did love but got taken over by a shitty developer and dumbed down for commoners.

see Fallout

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@bussinrounds: that too!

I think some of our more sensitive community members are thinking there is some nefarious evil going on with wanted to end a franchise... Its the mentality of sheep (not Nintendo sheep, but sheep sheep).

Killing a franchise gives way to new ideas, fresh starts and it furthers our hobbies ambitious pursuit of great experiences. Any franchise can be killed and something better can be developed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#136 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69426 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@bussinrounds: that too!

I think some of our more sensitive community members are thinking there is some nefarious evil going on with wanted to end a franchise... Its the mentality of sheep (not Nintendo sheep, but sheep sheep).

Killing a franchise gives way to new ideas, fresh starts and it furthers our hobbies ambitious pursuit of great experiences. Any franchise can be killed and something better can be developed.

If that's the case then I vouch for the killing of Zelda, Mario and Pokemon. Come on Nintendo, lets see what you can do outside of those games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro: if you feel that those franchises are no longer contributing to the hobby then sure! Have at it...

Just out of curiosity though didn't Zelda win game of the year? In the spirit of having a fun discussion, isn't that like putting the reigning mvp on waivers?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Pedro  Online

@TheEroica said:

@Pedro: if you feel that those franchises are no longer contributing to the hobby then sure! Have at it...

Just out of curiosity though didn't Zelda win game of the year? In the spirit of having a fun discussion, isn't that like putting the reigning mvp on waivers?

Game of the year is a useless metric as far as I am concern. I don't refer to it in most discussions because its worth is no greater than your selection for game of the year.

BOTW is a great game but when gamers and journalist toss objectivity out the window there is very little room for discussion but fanatical banter. Despite the hype behind this game it still has not reached the levels of The Witcher 3.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro: I don't entirely disagree, but game of the year is at least somewhat of a metric to who go it right that particular year (which is why I brought it up) Zelda won because the richness of its open world experience was better than everything else that year... Its systems and physics were a high quality approach to gameplay possibilities within a world that is designed to give you freedom. It was the GOTY past year on several dozen publications too....

Uncharted 4 on the other hand earned high review scores but ultimately lasted in minds of games about as long as it took to finish it boorish, samezy stab to thrust a B movie in our face first and play a video game second. It was in no way a legitimate GOTY contender, because it wasn't a good game... Much tougher to say that about Zelda.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Pedro  Online

@TheEroica said:

@Pedro: I don't entirely disagree, but game of the year is at least somewhat of a metric to who go it right that particular year (which is why I brought it up) Zelda won because the richness of its open world experience was better than everything else that year... Its systems and physics were a high quality approach to gameplay possibilities within a world that is designed to give you freedom. It was the GOTY past year on several dozen publications too....

Uncharted 4 on the other hand earned high review scores but ultimately lasted in minds of games about as long as it took to finish it boorish, samezy stab to thrust a B movie in our face first and play a video game second. It was in no way a legitimate GOTY contender, because it wasn't a good game... Much tougher to say that about Zelda.

Strongly disagree with that the bold and I don't think there is going to be a meaningful discussion on the topic because of the strong bias on your end.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro: strong bias? Lol... Ok.. I've been gaming since 1982 on everything that has pretty much ever come out... I have no allegiance to anything but the games I like, but ok. Zelda was a masterful iteration of the franchise which sets itself apart from the rest of the games in meaningful ways. The closest game in the series I could compare it to is the original Zelda which is still to this day a masterpiece of game design. There's no bias in acknowledging when a developer gets it right which Zelda did... Every game has things to nitpick, Zelda included.

Its like music, which I do as a professional career... There is no such thing as bias, only good songs and bad songs... Bias is for people who can't see beyond the end of their nose to he self critical on their tastes... I don't do bias.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Pedro  Online

@TheEroica said:

@Pedro: strong bias? Lol... Ok.. I've been gaming since 1982 on everything that has pretty much ever come out... I have no allegiance to anything but the games I like, but ok. Zelda was a masterful iteration of the franchise which sets itself apart from the rest of the games in meaningful ways. The closest game in the series I could compare it to is the original Zelda which is still to this day a masterpiece of game design. There's no bias in acknowledging when a developer gets it right which Zelda did... Every game has things to nitpick, Zelda included.

Its like music, which I do as a professional career... There is no such thing as bias, only good songs and bad songs... Bias is for people who can't see beyond the end of their nose to he self critical on their tastes... I don't do bias.

There is such a thing as bias. I can't believe you are trying to argue to the contrary. I don't see any meaningful headway in this discourse and you are making it even more apparent with each response. Objectively read your responses since my initial post and it should be blatantly obvious.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro: I'll simplify it.... Zelda breath of the wild is both brilliant and not without grievances.... Would you like to discuss what yours are? If not I'll assume none?

Also, preference and bias are entirely different things... Bias is saying, I won't try bloodborne because I don't like the souls games....

Preference is saying, I can see the merit in what those games do, but I prefer slightly less difficulty.

I don't do bias. Bias is stupid and short sighted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@Pedro said:
@TheEroica said:

Game of the year is a useless metric as far as I am concern. I don't refer to it in most discussions because its worth is no greater than your selection for game of the year.

BOTW is a great game but when gamers and journalist toss objectivity out the window there is very little room for discussion but fanatical banter. Despite the hype behind this game it still has not reached the levels of The Witcher 3.

Screw that. I thought BoTW was better than The Witcher 3. :P

Flawed as BoTW is, I found the core of Witcher 3's general gameplay loop completely uninteresting to play. The breath of dialogue and roleplaying choices in conversations carries that game because the combat, exploration and 'puzzles' are pretty bad...

The Witcher 3's combat has more depth than Breath of the Wild's but man is the animation and general kinetics in TW3 terrible. It's hard to tell if blows are even effective save for the terribly small number that pops up indicating the damage. Some forgiveness must be made in that I played it on Xbox One which exaggerated the problems with generally poor animation. Speaking of terrible animation; tying the combat animations to space instead of command is not for me. You have no control over the animation that plays; Geralt will just automatically slide into an animation depending on the distance from his target. Hate that.

Witcher senses and any game that employs a similar 'gameplay' element is a big no from me. I hate that stuff. It gives you the illusion you are doing something meaningful when really it's just a waste of time... Ugh. Probably my biggest pet peeve is how so many of the interesting folklore driven witcher contracts are bound with a dreadful gameplay loop.

And again, not excusing any of the flaws BoTW, I still think it's better than TW3.

No objectivity to be had here. It's just preference. Some folks prefer Witcher 3 and some will prefer BoTW. I like the latter more.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Pedro  Online

@TheEroica said:

@Pedro: I'll simplify it.... Zelda breath of the wild is both brilliant and not without grievances.... Would you like to discuss what yours are? If not I'll assume none?

There is no confusion on my end, so there is no need to simply anything. The passive hostility in your response is the reason I do not believe this propose discussion would be meaningful to either of us. What would be the point of me listing my issues with the game especially BOTW?

The game lacks meaningful and rewarding exploration. Its big for the sake of being big. The story for the series has stagnated and even when they try to make it more story driven its made worse because its a weak story and they are not good at it. The game currently constrained by its own legacy. The open world nature of the game is just like all other open worlds that filled with just busy work. There was no deviation from the tried formula of open world games and like most legacy games they are rated upon themselves.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@tgob89 said:

Boo!! Your thread is bad, you should feel bad.

BTW:

If you don't like a game franchise or genre, PLAY DIFFERENT GAME! It's not rocket science.

Also, for every game or franchise YOU hate...you'd better believe there are gamers who consider them their favorite games.

WTF?

It's a hypothetical thread for people to express an OPINION about a game series that they don't like. Obviously @TheEroica plays a different game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Pedro: For me the biggest downfall of BoTW is the game flow. The negative feedback loop in the game simply doesn't do enough to keep up with the player's progress and it makes the game easier and easier the more you play. I still fundamentally find playing it far more enjoyable than TW3. I don't know if I actually enjoyed playing TW3 outside of communicating with NPCs and delving into the folklore.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Pedro  Online

@jumpaction said:

@Pedro: For me the biggest downfall of BoTW is the game flow. The negative feedback loop in the game simply doesn't do enough to keep up with the player's progress and it makes the game easier and easier the more you play. I still fundamentally find playing it far more enjoyable than TW3. I don't know if I actually enjoyed playing TW3 outside of communicating with NPCs and delving into the folklore.

The Witcher 3 combat is trash and its leveling system is also terrible because its lock to story progression. Exploration for that game was also unrewarding and quickly became basic after several hours. Big worlds != to better games. Developers need to understand this but gamers rate goodness of games based on size. Fallout 76 is 4 times bigger than Fallout 4 and that was touted as a plus. I see that more as a negative because its just going to be busy work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Pedro: dude, I know right?

Like devs are still boasting about the sizes of their world's as though that's a positive thing. Yay more Korok seeds and monster nests... though I'd take seeds over nests any day; point still stands.

There is something to be said about a well constructed level such as in games like Thief.

I think that BOTW does more to justify some of this space, or at least differently to TW3. The level designers of TW3 were far more impressive in creating this tangible world with seemless transitions between cities, forests and swamps but the gameplay dynamics remain largely static.

BOTW has a way less interesting world visually with barren open spaces that can look pretty but also feel vacant. But BTW uses its space in more interesting ways for me by keeping its secrets behind closed curtains, employing environmental puzzles and having more systemic play between mechanics and the world.

So it's 50-50 as far as open world design goes and it will depend on what the player wants from the game, I feel.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 TheEroica  Moderator

@sHaDyCuBe321: lots of jaded anger in that one... Very limited flexible thought... Don't expect a great response.