SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/hideki-kamiya-says-platinum-could-make-as-many-as-9-bayonetta-games/

PlatinumGames vice president Hideki Kamiya has expressed his desire to make a fourth and fifth Bayonetta game.

In an interview with IGN Japan, Kamiya was explaining his belief that creators need to “have their own convictions” and make the games they want to make instead of what the majority of players want, when he used Bayonetta as an example.

“Taking the Bayonetta IP as an example, while I have a structure in mind for where the story is going to go far into the future, players are only able to pass judgment on the story that they have at the moment,” he said.

“They’ll say things like the series is going to end because the creators have no love for it. I want people to know that’s obviously not how it is. I love Bayonetta more than anyone. How could I not love Cereza and all the other characters I’ve fostered for this long?”

Asked if this meant he wanted to make more Bayonetta games in the future, Kamiya replied: “I personally can’t conceive the Bayonetta series ever ending.

“I want to make a Bayonetta 4 and Bayonetta 5, and I intend on pitching them to the company. We often talk internally about how we could make nine of them.

“I want people who love the Bayonetta series to believe me when I say I’m not going to do anything that will betray the player.”

Last week PlatinumGames and Nintendoannounced a surprise Bayonetta prequel during The Game Awards.

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon will be released on March 17, and tells the story of Cereza, a young Umbra Witch who would go on to become the Bayonetta in the recently released third game.

Good news, indeed. Anyone else looking forward to more Bayonetta games? I will definitely be checking out Bayonetta Origins next year! For anyone that missed it, here's the trailer.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38717 Posts

With more bomba sales, he better begin imagining it ending.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7196 Posts

Heck yeah, action game of the year baby. Can’t wait for more greatness. Switch had way too many awesome games this year.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I’m definitely interested in more Bayonetta. The first three games have been fantastic and I’m certainly looking forward to seeing what this Bayonetta Origins turns out to be like.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Good for fans of the game.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Lol. Yeah job security is nice.

Unfortunately, If you can't fund the next one yourself, you really don't have control over that, Kamiya.

I certainly hope we see more of the franchise.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Eh, not like this is a genre bustling with new releases. No chance of oversaturation in sight. Want to see more new stuff from Platinum, but more Bayo is also fine.

Is weird how in this and in his last interview you posted, he seems to emphasize the story and characters. Don't really think that's why most people play these games. Maybe they actually are that important to Kamiya, who knows. Seems more like keep the revenue stream going plz.

If he wants to keep this going though, wish he'd come back and direct one. I liked Bayo 2 a lot. Heard a lot of good about Bayo 3 from the action junkie crowd. But Kamiyas own Bayo 1 still has the most gameplay flex in the series. If he's that fond of these games, sit in the directors chair again.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Eh, not like this is a genre bustling with new releases. No chance of oversaturation in sight. Want to see more new stuff from Platinum, but more Bayo is also fine.

Is weird how in this and in his last interview you posted, he seems to emphasize the story and characters. Don't really think that's why most people play these games. Maybe they actually are that important to Kamiya, who knows. Seems more like keep the revenue stream going plz.

If he wants to keep this going though, wish he'd come back and direct one. I liked Bayo 2 a lot. Heard a lot of good about Bayo 3 from the action junkie crowd. But Kamiyas own Bayo 1 still has the most gameplay flex in the series. If he's that fond of these games, sit in the directors chair again.

He’s working on your GG game.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3388 Posts

3 was my least favourite. Disappointing really. Not a bad game but as a whole the execution just isn't there.

I have games that I just preorder blindly and Bayonetta lost that privilege. But I still want to check future games, hopefully on better hardware.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
@SolidGame_basic said:

He’s working on your GG game.

Of course. Not saying direct one now, just come back and direct one at some point. Assuming it's really that important to him, why not right?

As for project GG, damn man. Going on three years since its announcement.

"I still can't say anything yet. I'm pretty sure that (studio head) Atsushi Inaba would kill me if I said too much, haha. Let's just say we're hard at work developing everything from the gameplay to the game's mechanics and more."

Bro, come on. Why even announce it in the first place lol.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Did you know there's a hidden Bayonetta Origins demo you can unlock in Bayonetta 3?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

I still have to play 3, but glad to hear he wants to make more.

Story is way down the list of things I like about this series, but the characters and their interactions are fun.

Except Loki. Don't bring back Loki.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Heck yeah, action game of the year baby. Can’t wait for more greatness. Switch had way too many awesome games this year.

Damn right! Platinum are action game masters.

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts

Nintendo ruining franchises with their inferior hardware. Pokémon, xenoblade, Bayonetta etc.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner

@mikeslemonade:

It's annoying, but when the alternative is no Bayonetta...

Anyways, at least Kamiyas next game is targeting modern hardware.

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts

I rather have no Bayonetta. They would have been picked up by MS or Sony.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner

@mikeslemonade:

Fair I guess? The performance is annoying, but they're still great action games. Not like this genre gets many, a beggars can't be choosers situation really.

And nope. Sony, MS, and the IP holder themselves - Sega, weren't takers. Legit, Nintendo swooped in and made it happen when nobody else would.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

With more bomba sales, he better begin imagining it ending.

Bayo 3 is a success, with sales outpacing Bayo 2. It doesn't need to be a blockbuster to be a success, as it's not a big-budget AAA game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

He doesn't care its Sega or Nintendo who will be footing the bill. He just missing out on sales bonus with Bayonetta 3 bombing, his salary still is executive producer bracket.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mesome713

@sakaixx: Bayonetta 3 didn’t bomb, it’s the best selling game in the series.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sakaiXx

@mesome713: it barely pacing above 2. Will take years for it to surpass Bayonetta 1 3m sold and that game hit the bargain bin probably within a month release.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mesome713

@sakaixx: Bayonetta 1 only sold 700k when it first released.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sakaiXx

@mesome713: it sold 2 million on PS360 pre wii u port and now more than 3m with all the ports including PC. Unless Bayonetta 3 somehow magically sold more than 3 million, its definitely not the best selling.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mesome713

@sakaixx: Have no clue where your getting your numbers from, but before Wii U the game sold 1.1 million on PS3 and 360 put together. These numbers are from SEGA themselves.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/02/05/bayonetta-sales-topple-one-million-worldwide

SEGA stated the numbers were highly disappointing.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sakaiXx
@mesome713 said:

@sakaixx: Have no clue where your getting your numbers from, but before Wii U the game sold 1.1 million on PS3 and 360 put together. These numbers are from SEGA themselves.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/02/05/bayonetta-sales-topple-one-million-worldwide

Its on Platinum Games page for Wii U version... 2 million on PS360... And now with Switch, Wii U, PC, PS4, Xbox ver its even more now...

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mesome713

@sakaixx: Im not seeing it on their site. SEGA confirmed PS360 sold total of 1.1 million. And thats even at discounted prices.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sakaiXx

@mesome713: first u gave 700k, then 1.1m... and sega later updated it to 1.35m. platinum on their site mentions over 2m pre Bayonetta 2 Wii U release. What more u want?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mesome713

@sakaixx: A link, i dont see it on thier site.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sakaiXx

@mesome713: click the Double Climax tab on platinum's Bayonetta 2 page and read the description. Honestly where are we going with this. Bayonetta 3 barely outselling Bayo 2 and bayonetta 2 barely reach a million copy and its due to some dedicated fan operation to viral the game... Not to mention Bayonetta 1 comes bundled with most copy of Bayonetta 2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Bayonetta is kind of a niche franchise so not sure why some are so concerned about its sales. I’m sure Nintendo realizes this and have they’re expectations set accordingly. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were satisfied with how Bayonetta 3 is performing. If they’re content with continuing to provide funding for the games then that’s all that really matters. Not every game has to be a huge multimillion seller. Sometimes it’s good just to keep making them so that the overall library has some diversity to it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@mesome713 said:

huh? Sega wasn't disappointed by the number at all. That 1 million start was pretty good. Especially for a brand new ip, in a niche genre, in 2010. When it didn't take 2 million just to break even as a triple A game. Platinum was disappointed by the number in terms of the game cooling off in terms of its sales legs. Especially knowing they could have done better if it was the PS3 version that was the good version of the game.

I don't think either of you should be having a sales convo, when neither of you know what would be a good number for that game to be successful or not.

The larger hurdle here is that Sega owns the ip, and they won't fund shit themselves because they fucking cheap. So it's on Nintendo on how long they want to keep going with Bayonetta, but they might always just stick to a relationship built around Astral Chain going forward. Especially since that game also did a million.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

think he only talking story shit, because he straight up not gonna be directing any of em. He creates the outline n plot, and someone else figures out the game part of the equation. Think it's fine, but it seems like bayo 3 guy doesn't want to do Bayo after either lol

Think he was sort of forced to do it after they had restart the game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sakaiXx

@jg4xchamp said:
@mesome713 said:

huh? Sega wasn't disappointed by the number at all. That 1 million start was pretty good. Especially for a brand new ip, in a niche genre, in 2010. When it didn't take 2 million just to break even as a triple A game. Platinum was disappointed by the number in terms of the game cooling off in terms of its sales legs. Especially knowing they could have done better if it was the PS3 version that was the good version of the game.

I don't think either of you should be having a sales convo, when neither of you know what would be a good number for that game to be successful or not.

The larger hurdle here is that Sega owns the ip, and they won't fund shit themselves because they fucking cheap. So it's on Nintendo on how long they want to keep going with Bayonetta, but they might always just stick to a relationship built around Astral Chain going forward. Especially since that game also did a million.

Well I know one thing, bayonetta 3 bombed.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@sakaixx: Where do you get that ? From what I've seen, it had a better start than any previous game in the franchise. It sold better in Japan and debuted in second i think. Similar case in UK and it was in the top 10 from overall platforms. Not to mention there were some reports saying that the online version was doing great ... So how do you know it bombed?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sakaiXx

@madsnakehhh: charting better in japan is depend on which angle. Bayonetta 3 debuted 41k. Original game debuted 140k in japan and ended the year with 200k. We also know bayo 3 is only selling marginally better than Bayo 2 and Bayonetta 2 barely sold a million and that game have have abysmal start.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mesome713

@sakaixx: In other words, you don’t know shat.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sakaiXx

@mesome713: getting called that when you the one giving wrong and outdated informations. Such is system wars.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mesome713

@sakaixx: Calling a game bombing when it’s selling better than it’s previous one and have zero clue it’s sales numbers is just 🤡 talk.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sakaiXx

@mesome713: sure.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mesome713

@sakaixx: And Bayonetta only sold 93k on PS3 launch on a Tuesday week. Bayonetta released on a Friday for Switch. Plus PS3 was in a time when digital sales weren’t nowhere near as big. Bayonetta has sold more copies on Switch than any other device. Deal with it 😎

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sakaiXx

@mesome713: bayonetta is on PS3 and 360.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mesome713

@sakaixx: Yeah, two devices. Still won’t help you. Bayonetta sells best on Switch. Plus budget for PS3 at the time cost way more than Switch which has a super low development cost. That’s why we get all the amazing games that don’t have to sell over 1 million. Nintendo genius.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sakaiXx

@mesome713: sure. Ignoring its on PS4, Xbox one, PC, Wii U and Switch.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mesome713

@sakaixx: It sold poorly on PS4 and PC. Straight bombed.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@sakaixx: Yeah sorry, i don't see your argument here ... There is no report as of now that indicates that the game is bombing. Quite the contrary.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Wasn't it already in jeopardy before a sequel was greenlit after Nintendo bailed it out? It's the public that decides these things in the end. Never say never