Just saw GotY: a glorious day for gaming and a horrid one for Wii haters.

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

titusandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 titusandro
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts

How many times did I hear: Wii will never have a AAA tittle... glory came in the form of Wario Ware. Then it all went in to Wii will never get a GotY... I am so happy to find out that Super Mario Galaxy, a Nintendo Wii exclusive game just won the award.

I just found out after a couple of days away frome home and I am so happy to seethatblind stupid fonboyism took one were it hurts.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
The Wii has a few good games but i just don't see the console lasted very long, this time next year i'll expect Sony to be back infront with all their exclusives that are coming, however Sony will probably **** it up like they normally do.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop them
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The Wii has a few good games but i just don't see the console lasted very long, this time next year i'll expect Sony to be back infront with all their exclusives that are coming, however Sony will probably **** it up like they normally do.Grantelicious

in terms of sales i think the Wii will always be at the top. It has that demographic. Games wise i'm saying sony as of now, like you've said. But it depends on what else the Wii and 360 have to offer, theirs probably more surprises.
Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themdeadmeat59

What a total of 5 games that are good and the rest are shovel ware. While I have a PC(Most AA and AAA games compared to console each year)and 360(with its awesome exclusives). I must be missing on those 5 titles or so that are actually good.

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy winning is not really good for gaming because Super Mario Galaxy is really casual compared to its predecessors. Also, I own it, so don't say I haven't played it.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Lets jus face it, it got GOTY cause Mario's written on the front of the box and it's a platformer and there are not that many platformers out there to compete with in the first place. Thats why it won. The only competition it had was Rachet an Clank and that flopped.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I still can't figure out how SMG won. What's so revolutionary about it? Metroid Prime 3 was more deserving of Wii game of the year - it uses the remote for something that couldn't previously be done on a console. Overall game of the year, IMO, was Rock Band - Harmonix really made something more than the sum of its parts.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
Lets jus face it, it got GOTY cause Mario's written on the front of the box and it's a platformer and there are not that many platformers out there to compete with in the first place. Thats why it won. The only competition it had was Rachet an Clank and that flopped.Dahaka-UK
by your thinking Mario Sunshine should have won as well. in case you didnt know, that game flopped. it didnt win because it was a mario game, it won because it was a superb mario game
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

I still can't figure out how SMG won. What's so revolutionary about it? Metroid Prime 3 was more deserving of Wii game of the year - it uses the remote for something that couldn't previously be done on a console. Overall game of the year, IMO, was Rock Band - Harmonix really made something more than the sum of its parts.lowe0

I think you haven't played the game for more than an hour.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#11 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
LOL. cows and lemming always hated on the GC for not having the greatest library. Sheep would always point ou that the GC had the most exclusive GoTY's in its life. The wii looks to be following in its steps. Good job nintendo for making such an awesome game, and good job Gamespot for finally recognising quality.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"]I still can't figure out how SMG won. What's so revolutionary about it? Metroid Prime 3 was more deserving of Wii game of the year - it uses the remote for something that couldn't previously be done on a console. Overall game of the year, IMO, was Rock Band - Harmonix really made something more than the sum of its parts.lordlors

And you'd be right. I picked it up, did a couple parts my wife was stuck on, didn't really enjoy myself much at all, and handed it back. How much of it do I need to suffer through before I can say I didn't like it?
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themKillfox

What a total of 5 games that are good and the rest are shovel ware. While I have a PC(Most AA and AAA games compared to console each year)and 360(with its awesome exclusives). I must be missing on those 5 titles or so that are actually good.

Since you've chosen to count AA and AAA as "good games"...

Super Mario Galaxy~
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
WarioWare: Smooth Moves ~
Super Paper Mario ~
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure~
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption ~
Mercury Meltdown Revolution~
Madden NFL 07
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz~
Trauma Center: New Blood ~
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
The Sims 2: Castaway
MLB Power Pros
Madden NFL 08
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Trauma Center: Second Opinion ~

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=reviews&platform=1031&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

~denote exclusive status

Masterfubu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Masterfubu
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts
lol just bc u dnt like d0esnt mean it isn't deserving. i dnt like halo but that doesn't mean its bad. smg deserved this it was one of the best this year
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
People who buy the wii don't tend to buy alot of games though, maybe like 2 or 3 a year and only seem to buy things like the wii play type of games. All my friends seemed to have bought a wii for some reason and they say how great it is but they still only have wii play for it.
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 TMontana1004
Member since 2007 • 4537 Posts
I have a Wii and have SMG. The game is extremely fun. I have about 25 stars right now, and as fun as this game is, IMO, it doesn't deserve GOTY. It really isn't ground-breaking or anything like that.
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 beast667

I have a Wii and have SMG. The game is extremely fun. I have about 25 stars right now, and as fun as this game is, IMO, it doesn't deserve GOTY. It really isn't ground-breaking or anything like that.TMontana1004
have any games this year been truly ground breaking? there have been a lot of excellent games, but i dont think theres anything you could really call revolutionary.

EDIT: MP3 and its use of the wiimote was the closest thing to revolutionary or groundbreaking this year, IMO

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lordlors
[QUOTE="lordlors"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]I still can't figure out how SMG won. What's so revolutionary about it? Metroid Prime 3 was more deserving of Wii game of the year - it uses the remote for something that couldn't previously be done on a console. Overall game of the year, IMO, was Rock Band - Harmonix really made something more than the sum of its parts.lowe0

And you'd be right. I picked it up, did a couple parts my wife was stuck on, didn't really enjoy myself much at all, and handed it back. How much of it do I need to suffer through before I can say I didn't like it?

There is not one thing in tihs world that appeals to ALL people and i mean it when saying ALL. SMG will not appeal to ALL gamers. Other people including you may dislike SMG. But that doesn't mean it doesn't deserved GOTY for professional reviewers have greatly praised it.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lowe0

There is not one thing in tihs world that appeals to ALL people and i mean it when saying ALL. SMG will not appeal to ALL gamers. Other people including you may dislike SMG. But that doesn't mean it doesn't deserved GOTY for professional reviewers have greatly praised it.

lordlors
Professional reviewers have praised a lot of games this year - Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 were just evolutions of the existing formula, but both were critical and commercial successes. Forza Motorsport 2 reviewed well, but detailed racing simulations are a fairly niche market. What makes SMG stand above those games?
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TMontana1004

[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]I have a Wii and have SMG. The game is extremely fun. I have about 25 stars right now, and as fun as this game is, IMO, it doesn't deserve GOTY. It really isn't ground-breaking or anything like that.beast667

have any games this year been truly ground breaking? there have been a lot of excellent games, but i dont think theres anything you could really call revolutionary.

EDIT: MP3 and its use of the wiimote was the closest thing to revolutionary or groundbreaking this year, IMO

According to reviews, Crysis was ground-breaking. But still, do you people truly think that SMG was the best? It was fun and a big jump from previous games, but not the best. The one thing I would say that really impressed me was the whole integration with the wii remote. The game wouldn't have been very good with a GC controller.

frogilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frogilicus
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Killfox"]

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themThePlothole

Super Mario Galaxy~
Super Paper Mario ~
Madden NFL 07
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
MLB Power Pros
Madden NFL 08
Rayman Raving Rabbids

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=reviews&platform=1031&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

~denote exclusive status

You can take Madden 08 out of that list as well as the Sims, Wario Ware, and Super Monkey ball. I think your just listing games because Madden 08 on the Wii was horrible. No self respecting Madden player would every play 08 on the Wii.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="beast667"]

[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]I have a Wii and have SMG. The game is extremely fun. I have about 25 stars right now, and as fun as this game is, IMO, it doesn't deserve GOTY. It really isn't ground-breaking or anything like that.TMontana1004

According to reviews, Crysis was ground-breaking. But still, do you people truly think that SMG was the best? It was fun and a big jump from previous games, but not the best. The one thing I would say that really impressed me was the whole integration with the wii remote. The game wouldn't have been very good with a GC controller.

Crysis is ground-breaking, but SMG is pure originality and creativity. Nothing in it will probably ever be used in any future games like Crysis' mechanics, but it will be remembered for far longer despite that, or perhaps because of that.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Killfox"]

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themfrogilicus

Super Mario Galaxy~
Super Paper Mario ~
Madden NFL 07
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
MLB Power Pros
Madden NFL 08
Rayman Raving Rabbids

~denote exclusive status

You can take Madden 08 out of that list as well as the Sims, Wario Ware, and Super Monkey ball. I think your just listing games because Madden 08 on the Wii was horrible. No self respecting Madden player would every play 08 on the Wii.

Why the **** would he take an AA game away from a list of AAAs and AAs? Just accept it, all those games got good scores and are worth playing if you're not too pompous to even give them a chance..

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lordlors
[QUOTE="lordlors"]

lowe0

Professional reviewers have praised a lot of games this year - Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 were just evolutions of the existing formula, but both were critical and commercial successes. What makes SMG stand above those games?

i'm tired of saying it. download the GOTY video and hear what they say and you will know.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 beast667
[QUOTE="beast667"]

[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]I have a Wii and have SMG. The game is extremely fun. I have about 25 stars right now, and as fun as this game is, IMO, it doesn't deserve GOTY. It really isn't ground-breaking or anything like that.TMontana1004

crysis is definatly ground-breaking graphics wise, but other than thatI dont know since I havent played it. personally, the best game Ive played this year is mass effect. I havent had a chance to play every game this year though, so I trust gamespots judgement (however foolish others may think me).
TMontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TMontana1004
[QUOTE="TMontana1004"][QUOTE="beast667"]

[QUOTE="TMontana1004"]I have a Wii and have SMG. The game is extremely fun. I have about 25 stars right now, and as fun as this game is, IMO, it doesn't deserve GOTY. It really isn't ground-breaking or anything like that.mjarantilla

Crysis is ground-breaking, but SMG is pure originality and creativity. Nothing in it will probably ever be used in any future games like Crysis' mechanics, but it will be remembered for far longer despite that, or perhaps because of that.

Maybe you're right. I still can't decide though.

SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
People who buy the wii don't tend to buy alot of games though, maybe like 2 or 3 a year and only seem to buy things like the wii play type of games. All my friends seemed to have bought a wii for some reason and they say how great it is but they still only have wii play for it.Grantelicious
I have over 20 wii games and i got it in July :|
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Killfox"]

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themfrogilicus

Super Mario Galaxy~
Super Paper Mario ~
Madden NFL 07
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
MLB Power Pros
Madden NFL 08
Rayman Raving Rabbids

~denote exclusive status

All those games are listed because they recieved a AA or AAA rating by gamespot, as you'd see by following the link I posted at the bottom.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts

How many times did I hear: Wii will never have a AAA tittle... glory came in the form of Wario Ware. Then it all went in to Wii will never get a GotY... I am so happy to find out that Super Mario Galaxy, a Nintendo Wii exclusive game just won the award.

I just found out after a couple of days away frome home and I am so happy to seethatblind stupid fonboyism took one were it hurts.

titusandro

Wow, so... that's two games. Good luck making that last a year.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="titusandro"]

james28893

You seem to forget just how sparse the 360's first-year library was. Until November, all it had were COD2, GRAW, and Oblivion.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="titusandro"]

james28893

Completely ignored my post, didn't you?

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 james28893
[QUOTE="james28893"][QUOTE="titusandro"]

ThePlothole

Completely ignored my post, didn't you?

I was only looking at AAA exclusives.

[QUOTE="james28893"][QUOTE="titusandro"]

mjarantilla

You seem to forget just how sparse the 360's first-year library was. Until November, all it had were COD2, GRAW, and Oblivion.

PDZ, PGR3, Dead Rising (aware it's not AAA), Kameo (not AAA), Saint's Row (not AAA)

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 james28893

Yeah, sorry. It still had several more AAA in its first year than the Wii did and Warioware was one of the few games I had on the Wii and it was way too short. Galaxy is superb.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themKillfox

Lol, I'd bet you more shovel ware came out for the computer than the Wii.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="james28893"][QUOTE="titusandro"]

james28893

PDZ, PGR3, Dead Rising (aware it's not AAA), Kameo (not AAA), Saint's Row (not AAA)

I'm not looking for AAAs, I'm looking for good games that people should buy for a console to experience something unique.

PDZ -> Yeah, right. Like anyone played that past December '05.

PGR3 -> Meh, racer.

Dead Rising -> Yes! Let's buy games with totally effed up save systems that can break your entire campaign if you save at the wrong spot! To date, this remains the only game I have ever bothered to return to the store.

Kameo -> Not even worth mentioning, especially since the Wii got Twilight Princess for its launch game.

Saints Row -> Good game, pretty decent, but hardly something that everybody would like.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThePlothole

Yeah, sorry. It still had several more AAA in its first year than the Wii did and Warioware was one of the few games I had on the Wii and it was way too short. Galaxy is superb.

james28893

Dangit, I deleted my response so I could write something more in depth. But now that's kinda pointless. *shrugs*

Avatar image for Denjin_hadouken
Denjin_hadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Denjin_hadouken
Member since 2007 • 5927 Posts
Yup. The game is great. I wonder what the next mario game would be like....
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
Yup. The game is great. I wonder what the next mario game would be like....Denjin_hadouken
I can't see it getting any better then this, this game was too epic. Oh no, Nintendo killed itself! They'll never be able to make a game to beat this one:)
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

[QUOTE="Denjin_hadouken"]Yup. The game is great. I wonder what the next mario game would be like....Grodus5
I can't see it getting any better then this, this game was too epic. Oh no, Nintendo killed itself! They'll never be able to make a game to beat this one:)

The same was said about Mario 64 :) It will probably take a while, but I'm sure there will be another masterpiece in a decade.

frogilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 frogilicus
[QUOTE="frogilicus"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Killfox"]

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"]wii sells out without games now its getting them no one can stop themThePlothole

Super Mario Galaxy~
Super Paper Mario ~
Madden NFL 07
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
MLB Power Pros
Madden NFL 08
Rayman Raving Rabbids

~denote exclusive status

All those games are listed because they recieved a AA or AAA rating by gamespot, as you'd see by following the link I posted at the bottom.

Yea pardon me for using my own game experiance over someone else's. Madden 08 didn't get a very good score average's a 7.8 I think, and Wario Ware takes what, maybe 2-3 hours to beat if your bad at it? If you love em great, but let's be honest here there not that good.

darkplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 darkplayer
Member since 2003 • 13318 Posts
Sure SMG won GOTY but the Wii's library is still lacking, there are only a handful of games that I really want to play on the Wii that aren't availabe anywhere else.
mighty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43 mighty_shark
Member since 2005 • 1822 Posts
Fully deserved. A truly mesmerising game. I haven't played Crysis, so I can't compare but Galaxy beat the hell out of Halo 3 and COD4 in my opinion. It wasn't revolutionary but it didn't have to be. Was Gears Of War revolutionary? Mario Galaxy boasted creativity, great level design and, most importantly, was loads of fun. Wii haters never give up...
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThePlothole

Yea pardon me for using my own game experiance over someone else's. Madden 08 didn't get a very good score average's a 7.8 I think, and Wario Ware takes what, maybe 2-3 hours to beat if your bad at it? If you love em great, but let's be honest here there not that good.

frogilicus

Lets be clear here: reviews are obviously just opinions. However, in System Wars, people seem to treat them as "law". The person I replied to was one of them.

frogilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 frogilicus
[QUOTE="frogilicus"]

ThePlothole

Lets be clear here: reviews are obviously just opinions. However, in System Wars, people seem to treat them as "law". The person I replied to was one of them.

My mistake then, a quick glance to your left at my profile should tell you all you need to know about why I would be confused. I would be of the opisite stance than the op, as I disagree with gamespot on almost every review. Especialy madden 08 on the Wii.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy totally deserves this GOTY. As with many Nintendo games, they always push gaming to its limit, injecting the market with something fresh, new and exciting. Without Nintendo, we'd be playing the same old FPS games and the same old sports games. I may sound like a total Sheep here, but Halo 3 and Crysis don't deserve GOTY. They add nothing new and innovating to their genre, while Super Mario Galaxy totally redefines platformers and Wii games.
King_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 King_of_Sorrow
Member since 2007 • 1193 Posts

Nintendo is back baby!!!! I expect more GOTY from Nintendo.

butteater86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 butteater86
Member since 2007 • 1306 Posts
So Super Mario Galaxy now...SSBB next year...then what? That's right......nothing.
c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

SMG as GOTY is an absolute joke. But I really don't care anymore because any site can name their own GOTY and it doesn't really mean anything.

Mass Effect - The People's Game of the Year :P

Sheep can't give one reason why SMG is better than the previous Super Marios we've seen, e.g.Super Mario Sunshine.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mjarantilla

SMG as GOTY is an absolute joke. But I really don't care anymore because any site can name their own GOTY and it doesn't really mean anything.

Mass Effect - The People's Game of the Year :P

Sheep can't give one reason why SMG is better than the previous Super Marios we've seen, e.g.Super Mario Sunshine.

c_smithii

Our reasons are in all the reviews. Go read them. Collectively, they've all rated SMG the second greatest game of all time, so I don't think they'll be hard to find.