Just played the PS VITA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lulmont
Member since 2010 • 671 Posts

I went down to the NYC Vita event and tried out a unit, I can't say I was to impressed the handheld was huge made my Galaxy S2 feel small, the menus all require touch screen even in game well at least for uncharted and they were that responsive felt like cheap android phone when it came to responsiveness, Gamers with big hands also watch out the buttons are very small but there was some pros the screen and graphics were fantastic still not PS3 quality yet just like the PSP was a little behind the PS2 same goes with Vita. If you got any questions ask away.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
What's the device quality like, i want to know if i can drop it a few times and not panic that when i lift it i'll only bring up one half.
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lulmont

It felt sturdy, more then the PSP but still not DS Phat sturdy or even 3DS for that matter.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Look at all those ugly jaggies. :o

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Tikeio

It's sub QHD.:P

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

How do the analog sticks feel? Also, would the sticks be a hindrancefor carrying in the pocket?

Silentj0ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silentj0ker
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts

Another fantastic blog.:P

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tikeio

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

MFDOOM1983

The resolution of that game is actually lower than 960x544? Wow.. :lol:

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lulmont

How do the analog sticks feel? Also, would the sticks be a hindrancefor carrying in the pocket?

trugs26

They were nice, felt like mini PS3 sticks as for the pocket I think they would be fine but I did not have a chance to put it in my pocket to be guaranteed and to the other user sorry I have no interest in being a writer or having a blog. Just wanted to give people information that's not PR from sony as they will just says OMG IT'S AMAZING BUY IT

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

Tikeio

"Alas, much of the good work put into the overall look of the game is impacted slightly by the use of a 'sub-qHD' native resolution. The whole game appears to be rendering with a native framebuffer somewhere in the region of 720x408 (which is 75 per cent of the Vita's maximum 960x544 resolution),"Digital Foundry

Gravity Rush is another offender.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

It felt sturdy, more then the PSP but still not DS Phat sturdy or even 3DS for that matter.

lulmont

Really? Less sturdy than 3DS, the 3DS is probably the least sturdy handheld device I've ever owned.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lulmont

[QUOTE="lulmont"]

Jolt_counter119

Really? Less sturdy than 3DS, the 3DS is probably the least sturdy handheld device I've ever owned.

Hinge wise I agree 3DS is awful but I've droped my 3DS closed a few times and it's 100% fine other then the nice scratch on the back :P

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

[QUOTE="lulmont"]

lulmont

Hinge wise I agree 3DS is awful but I've droped my 3DS closed a few times and it's 100% fine other then the nice scratch on the back :P

Well that's good, I haven't dropped my 3ds yet but I know it's coming.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lulmont

[QUOTE="lulmont"]

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Jolt_counter119

Well that's good, I haven't dropped my 3ds yet but I know it's coming.

Haha NO YOU SHALL NEVER DROP IT OR IT WILL BREAK think that and you never will haha.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

How long did you play the system, if for a while did you notice the system getting hot at all?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JohnF111

lulmont
Really? I own the DS phat and PSP 100, they both seem the same to me. Ah well i'm glad it's not poor.
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lulmont

How long did you play the system, if for a while did you notice the system getting hot at all?

sailor232

I only played it for 15min as there was other stuff to do there and I checked it all out, I can say when I played it the systems have been on for at least 3 hours and I didn't feel any heat.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Good to know, I wasn't too excited about the whole touch interface being the only interface, but that's what patches are for right? I actually recently had an extensive play with the 3DS and I was impressed that I could play the greatest game of all time in 3D. Since the 3DS impressed the hell out of me graphically, I'm excited to see what the Vita can do when its in my hands!

I have heard the whole oval design is really nice to hold, is it a genuinely comfortable thing to play on?

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tikeio

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] It's sub QHD.:P

MFDOOM1983

"Alas, much of the good work put into the overall look of the game is impacted slightly by the use of a 'sub-qHD' native resolution. The whole game appears to be rendering with a native framebuffer somewhere in the region of 720x408 (which is 75 per cent of the Vita's maximum 960x544 resolution),"Digital Foundry

Gravity Rush looks amazing though, and isn't linear like Golden Abyss. And I thought Naughty Dog were technical wizards. :cry: :P

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Do you have any comments about the game itself? Or did you not get the chance to try it long enough?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JohnF111

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

Tikeio

Gravity Rush looks amazing though, and isn't linear like Golden Abyss. And I thought Naughty Dog were technical wizards. :cry: :P

ND aren't making Golden Abyss.
PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

Tikeio

I don't think that this project is under ND's control. I'll double check.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lulmont

Good to know, I wasn't too excited about the whole touch interface being the only interface, but that's what patches are for right? I actually recently had an extensive play with the 3DS and I was impressed that I could play the greatest game of all time in 3D. Since the 3DS impressed the hell out of me graphically, I'm excited to see what the Vita can do when its in my hands!

I have heard the whole oval design is really nice to hold, is it a genuinely comfortable thing to play on?

RandomWinner

It felt quite nice in the hands but a lot of the games made you swipe your fingers to do things and I can say that was not the most comforting, but using the normal inputs was better then the PSP

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tikeio

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]"Alas, much of the good work put into the overall look of the game is impacted slightly by the use of a 'sub-qHD' native resolution. The whole game appears to be rendering with a native framebuffer somewhere in the region of 720x408 (which is 75 per cent of the Vita's maximum 960x544 resolution),"Digital Foundry

JohnF111

ND aren't making Golden Abyss.

Development was overseen by ND though. Anyway, it was just a joke. :P

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lulmont

Do you have any comments about the game itself? Or did you not get the chance to try it long enough?

PraetorianMan

Not enough time Sony gave us 30min each unit and in that time I only played for 15min for games as I was taking pictures and using the menus and let's not forget the raffle they had going on :P

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18816 Posts
quite lame you can't use dpad/buttons for menu navigation.
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lulmont

quite lame you can't use dpad/buttons for menu navigation. PSP107
O I hated that the most and Uncharted was the same and like I said the responsiveness felt like a low end smart phone so not to great.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
The back touch panel? What is your opinion on that?
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

lulmont

It felt quite nice in the hands but a lot of the games made you swipe your fingers to do things and I can say that was not the most comforting, but using the normal inputs was better then the PSP

So far that's been my only problem with the Vita, the forced use of touch controls when buttons can be used. It could at least be an option! I know it is (at least mostly) in Uncharted. At least when your in the heat of the battle though the controls don't fail.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lulmont

The back touch panel? What is your opinion on that?ShadowDeathX
Was okay but more gimmick then revolutionary I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up like the SIXAXIS

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#31 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Do you think indie games on the vita would do justice?
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lulmont

Side note IRL Playstation fans are insane I heard people in line talking about power supplies and lens for PS3 and knew each model number just a fun fact.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lulmont

Do you think indie games on the vita would do justice?shadowchronicle
I dunno it could but it seems like if your gonna go indie and be on a touch screen device the money is at iOS and Android so no comment.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#34 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]Do you think indie games on the vita would do justice?lulmont

I dunno it could but it seems like if your gonna go indie and be on a touch screen device the money is at iOS and Android so no comment.

I think it might fit fine since you have to pay a monthly fee for the iphone which is comparable to the vita.
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lulmont

[QUOTE="lulmont"]

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]Do you think indie games on the vita would do justice?shadowchronicle

I think it might fit fine since you have to pay a monthly fee for the iphone which is comparable to the vita.

True it will probaly all come down to the sucess of the Vita and if we're gonna base it on Japan sales it ain't to pretty

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

How loud are the speakers, like could you hear the game easily in a crowded enviroment??

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Game looks like crap from that image. At least we know its supposed to be fun but with jaggies like that... my eyes bleed.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lulmont

How loud are the speakers, like could you hear the game easily in a crowded enviroment??

sailor232

I had to max the volume and put it up to my ear to hear it was loud there.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

MFDOOM1983

Pretty sad my phone has no problems running its games at QHD resolution but the vita with more powerful hardware can't fail.
lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lulmont

Game looks like crap from that image. At least we know its supposed to be fun but with jaggies like that... my eyes bleed.

Phazevariance

it looked better in motion but yes as a PC gamer DAMN THOSE LINES AND NO 8x AA ha

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The back touch panel? What is your opinion on that?lulmont

Was okay but more gimmick then revolutionary I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up like the SIXAXIS

Expected...=/ That sucks..
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

MFDOOM1983

Source?