Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Just bought the Oculus Quest last night and this is a game changer. So far I have enjoyed everything I have played on it. With untethered VR and 6 DoF it is what I have always wanted with VR. I think this is going to be a hit and the thing everyone wants this Christmas. It has already being stated that it is selling out across the nation. Did Oculus finally figure it out?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

So what can you play on it?

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xabiss

@howmakewood said:

I have been playing Beat Saber, Super Hot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and Thumper. All the games look good and play great. The freedom of wires is what really makes it.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Should have gone with PSVR, maybe lower tech but so much more games.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts
@Xabiss said:
@howmakewood said:

I have been playing Beat Saber, Super Hot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and Thumper. All the games look good and play great. The freedom of wires is what really makes it.

Yeah the fact of it being wireless is amazing

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xabiss

@me2002 said:

From this

To this with 6 DoF, wireless, and mobility. No thanks, PSVR is shit to this right now for me.

The games will come and with 50 out right now it is more then enough to have fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@Xabiss said:
@me2002 said:

From this

To this with 6 DoF, wireless, and mobility. No thanks, PSVR is shit to this right now for me.

Yeah but....like he said, more games. The PSVR library is great right now. Not to imply that the hardware for the Quest is bad or anything, because it's pretty nice, actually.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xabiss

@subspecies said:
@Xabiss said:
@me2002 said:

From this

Yeah but....like he said, more games. The PSVR library is great right now. Not to imply that the hardware for the Quest is bad or anything, because it's pretty nice, actually.

Games are going to be coming to this thing in droves if it keeps selling like it is. With 50+ experiences right now there is more then enough games to keep me occupied.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Xabiss said:
@subspecies said:
@Xabiss said:
@me2002 said:

From this

Games are going to be coming to this thing in droves if it keeps selling like it is. With 50+ experiences right now there is more then enough games to keep me occupied.

Well, yeah, games will come. But that doesn't change the fact that the PSVR has a killer library right now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I will be picking up mine today. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

I'll say this. Recently I was sent an Oculus Go, which is not equivalent to the Quest, of course, but is a suitable demonstration of wireless VR tech. Not-so-long-story short, I was impressed. The convenience of the headset is great, and it makes me look even more forward to the wireless iteration of PSVR, which Sony has already patented, among other things. At some point I'll probably pick up a Quest, if I don't get one given to me. One concern, though, is the battery life. The battery on the Go is a joke. I get like 2 hours on that thing, maybe a little more if I'm lucky. The Quest isn't much better in this regard, which is unacceptable. You can always pick up a battery pack, which lengthens sessions, but it sucks that you have to do that. I also don't like having a huge battery strapped to the back of my head.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

You must play robo recall if you haven’t already. Easily my favorite VR game. Mind you I’ve had the original rift for about 3 years now.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

So is the quest an all in one solution? Like you don't need a PC? If thats so how are the graphics? Battery life? And storage space? After a quick look up this thing is $500, which isn't bad, but only has 128GB of storage?

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xabiss

@Star67 said:

So is the quest an all in one solution? Like you don't need a PC? If thats so how are the graphics? Battery life? And storage space? After a quick look up this thing is $500, which isn't bad, but only has 128GB of storage?

That is correct and it is awesome. No computer is needed. Battery life is 2-4 hours depending what you are running on it. You can add an external battery pack to it to prolong the experience. Most people are holding 15+ experiences on just the 64GB version and with how fast the Internet is today you can switch out games fairly quickly. I will say if you don't have fast Internet the 128GB version is the way to go.

Having 6 degrees of freedom without having to setup cameras and everything else is awesome. I also like the built in speakers it really makes the sound feel like it is all around you, very cool feeling.

I will also say all the graphics I have seen are very nice and do not take away from the experience. Is it going to be equal to a tethered PC experience, hell no. But, from people that have had both they have said not having to deal with wires and the hassle of setup it is worth it. I still can't believe what they have accomplished with this thing and at the price point you can get one.

I have also read that most people say the graphics are on par with the PSVR if not better because of the better OLED screens being used inside.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xabiss

@Pedro said:

I will be picking up mine today. :)

I hope you enjoy as much as I have. I can't wait to hear about your experiences with it.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xabiss

@sirk1264 said:

You must play robo recall if you haven’t already. Easily my favorite VR game. Mind you I’ve had the original rift for about 3 years now.

I will purchase it today. :) I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@Xabiss said:
@Star67 said:

That is correct and it is awesome. No computer is needed. Battery life is 2-4 hours depending what you are running on it. You can add an external battery pack to it to prolong the experience. Most people are holding 15+ experiences on just the 64GB version and with how fast the Internet is today you can switch out games fairly quickly. I will say if you don't have fast Internet the 128GB version is the way to go.

Having 6 degrees of freedom without having to setup cameras and everything else is awesome. I also like the built in speakers it really makes the sound feel like it is all around you, very cool feeling.

I will also say all the graphics I have seen are very nice and do not take away from the experience. Is it going to be equal to a tethered PC experience, hell no. But, from people that have had both they have said not having to deal with wires and the hassle of setup it is worth it. I still can't believe what they have accomplished with this thing and at the price point you can get one.

Ah I see. I was hoping for a Rift experience but Wireless.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

do you need a facebook account to use one of these? i'm not a facebook fan.

i am looking into VR at the moment and its a toss up between this and the index for me.

the fact it's a self contained unit makes the quest very tempting. There is also a workaround to get it working with steamVR too which makes it more tempting.

but then i'm thinking "osan0. you will buy one of these as often as you buy a telly: once a decade. go big or go home".

The index does look like it will offer the better experience. like the vive, it will probably get a wireless addon at some point (if valve dont do it then surely a 3rd party will). but it is twice the price for the full kit.

i will have to ponder.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sirk1264

@osan0: no you don’t need a Facebook account. You just need to create an oculus account. It does give you the option to sign in with Facebook if you want to go that route.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sirk1264

@Star67: what do you consider the rift experience? If it’s only graphics then I would agree as the quest has a snapdragon mobile chipset in it compared to the tethered rift. Other than that you have insight tracking that is also on the Rift S and you will be able to play many games that are also on the rift. Some will be cross buy too.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

not worth 500$ imo, but do your thing

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

It's cool what it does as an stand alone but I'll wait for a wireless headset like Index which could be possible with 5g or equivalent technology. You get the best of both worlds, high power and mobility.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@osan0 said:

do you need a facebook account to use one of these? i'm not a facebook fan.

Nah you can sign in as a guest to set up. The annoying thing with the Oculus Go is that you need a required phone to set it up, but beyond that you don't need a phone. Not sure if it's the same with the Quest. It's a stupid programming thing they should have worked around.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin: The irony of your post is lost on you.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@subspecies: @sirk1264: cool thanks for the info.

I think the quest has the same phone requirement. It mentions it on the website. That's ok for me at least: my phone has android 8.1. I guess they have the setup done that way to make it easier to get the quest set up with your wireless connection and so fourth. still pondering :).

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

I'm waiting for the library to mature before I consider picking one. It still doesn't have enough games for me.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I have a PSVR and want to play it more, but hooking it up always seems like a bitch. In reality, it's only like five minutes, but the cords get in the way and I hate the move sticks. I'm a little intrigued by this and might look into it around the holidays.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

I swear to god a lot of you said VR suck and will fail. (Oh, only if the name is Sony)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#30 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

The usability of it is great, but it has shit processing power. So, limited to potato games.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xabiss

@BassMan said:

The usability of it is great, but it has shit processing power. So, limited to potato games.

So you are graphics over gameplay got you. The graphics are not to bad and good enough for what it needs to be. The deal is nothing untethered will match a computer for a long while. You also forgot people are already figuring out how to run stream steam PC VR games on this thing and saying it is running pretty good. I say that is pretty darn impressive for something that has been out for only a week.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xabiss

@BenjaminBanklin said:
Loading Video...

You would be nutting all over yourself if this had Sony written on it. Fanboys seriously the worse thing about gaming period!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#33  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@Xabiss said:
@BassMan said:

So you are graphics over gameplay got you. The graphics are not to bad and good enough for what it needs to be. The deal is nothing untethered will match a computer for a long while. You also forgot people are already figuring out how to run stream steam PC VR games on this thing and saying it is running pretty good. I say that is pretty darn impressive for something that has been out for only a week.

No, I am gameplay and graphics. That is why I bought a Rift. My PC is much more capable than a potato mobile processor. I don't want to sacrifice quality for convenience.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sirk1264
@BassMan said:
@Xabiss said:
@BassMan said:

No, I am gameplay and graphics. That is why I bought a Rift. My PC is much more capable than a potato mobile processor. I don't want to sacrifice quality for convenience.

That is fine. This isn't for you then. It's for getting people that don't have a VR solution into VR. You still are going to get the great games. I have a Rift and also a Rift S. I would get a quest if my laptop couldn't play VR games for VR on the go.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

look no more wires!!

OMGOSHHH!! its selling out! jesus! hurry get more stock in!!

We cant. its selling out too fast!!

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

@Star67 said:

Ah I see. I was hoping for a Rift experience but Wireless.

You can actually stream your Rift/Vive games through the Oculus Quest. There's tutorials on Youtube. And it runs surprisingly smooth for most games. Some people were running Google Earth on the Quest (currently not available on Quest).

Other games like Skyrim were kind of buggy, as it wasn't designed to be used with Quest controllers. There, the user had problems interacting with many objects or prompts.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

Just tried it. Pretty cool stuff. The immersion and controls are great. Now, to find a great game that wouldn't get me sick.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Jendeh: That’s how I feel too. I already have the best games available for the Quest on PSVR, but want to go wireless.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Xabiss
@sirk1264 said:
@BassMan said:
@Xabiss said:
@BassMan said:

That is fine. This isn't for you then. It's for getting people that don't have a VR solution into VR. You still are going to get the great games. I have a Rift and also a Rift S. I would get a quest if my laptop couldn't play VR games for VR on the go.

Bingo. This thing is capable of being the best selling VR solution to date. I really think it is capable of surpassing PSVR. I showed it to everyone at work today, none of them gamers, two of them are buying it now. The graphics are good enough and I will take a untethered solution over a tethered one any day of the week.

Plus the portability of the system and setting up a room is amazingly simple. This thing will only get better with time.

Also until you play Superhot VR in a basketball stadium you have not lived yet. :)

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xabiss
@Pedro said:

Just tried it. Pretty cool stuff. The immersion and controls are great. Now, to find a great game that wouldn't get me sick.

I have had no issue with motion sickness. A few 360 Youtube videos did get me close. ha!

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@Xabiss said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

You would be nutting all over yourself if this had Sony written on it. Fanboys seriously the worse thing about gaming period!

You've never caught me nutting myself over ANYthing VR related.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

VR is great got my Oculus in 2016 waiting to see what next gen headsets will be like glad you are enjoying VR. Ignore the haters they are the same people that say COD is shit but still buy it every year.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xabiss

Just played Star Wars - Vader Immortal and Robo Recall. I cant believe how these games look and run. John Carmack is a damn wizard is all I can say. What these developers are doing with this mobile CPU is damn impressive. Just all around great experiences!

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WhatAFailure

This Oculus Quest is likely going to be the biggest seller out of all the major headsets (not including Cardboard). Just the ability to pick up and play, anywhere, makes a huge difference.

The Oculus Quest heats up as the Superhot team calls their Quest debut their 'most successful VR launch to date'

https://www.destructoid.com/the-oculus-quest-heats-up-as-the-superhot-team-calls-their-quest-debut-their-most-successful-vr-launch-to-date--555366.phtml

One of those studios was the Superhot Team, which are now reporting record sales for the Quest edition of Superhot VR. According to the publisher, the Quest version is their "most successful VR launch to date, earning the highest first day sales so far." It also outperformed the Oculus Rift launch by 300%. For reference, the other VR launches to date included Oculus Rift, SteamVR, and PSVR. Tom Kaczmarczyk, Cofounder & Director of the company, says that it's a "watershed moment" for the industry.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WhatAFailure
@Xabiss said:

Just played Star Wars - Vader Immortal and Robo Recall. I cant believe how these games look and run. John Carmack is a damn wizard is all I can say. What these developers are doing with this mobile CPU is damn impressive. Just all around great experiences!

This is a great article on how, just 3-4 years ago, this idea of an Oculus Quest was deemed impossible. And it was thanks to John Carmack's persistence that helped make it happen.

Facebook Initially Thought Oculus Quest Might Be "Impossible"

Even Palmer Luckey, the founder of Oculus, didn't think it was working back in 2015:

Just before Oculus Connect 2 in 2015, Oculus founder Palmer Luckey stated “VR-grade inside-out tracking is not currently workable on mobile devices.”

And I like how Austin Creed, WWE wrestler and gamer, has his mind blown with the Oculus Quest, playing Beat Saber in a random GDC room without a need for a PC at all. He was used to sensors and PCs and all those spaghetti wires everywhere. He couldn't believe we have something like this already in 2019. Yes, we've had Gear VR and Oculus GO as mobile solutions, but never 6DOF (six degrees of freedom and full Touch controller usage) in a completely untethered VR unit before this.

A big thank you to John Carmack for what might be a milestone achievement here. He don't stop believing.

Loading Video...

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

@Xabiss said:

Just bought the Oculus Quest last night and this is a game changer. So far I have enjoyed everything I have played on it. With untethered VR and 6 DoF it is what I have always wanted with VR. I think this is going to be a hit and the thing everyone wants this Christmas. It has already being stated that it is selling out across the nation. Did Oculus finally figure it out?

Interesitng tell us more...

No seriously do you honestly think all of us went out an got VRs the moment it's clear it's really a thing?

Nope...

But it's clearly a thing... it's jazzing up the scene legitimately and I'm not just saying that.