jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

Great game, was definitely better than I expected it to be. Longer and more in depth. I rented it Thursday evening and just finished it late tonight, I'd say it took me between 20-25 and I didn't do all sidequests/collectibles still

I do think it was priced too high at $60, shoulda been a $40 or even $30 title. FIgured I'd one and done it and that's why I didn't wanna pay the full price and knowing Nintendo, it'll be $60 for a very long time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35687 Posts

I can't say I share the same sentiment. I am close to finishing the game but the old mechanics and contrived design and puzzles is undesirable. In addition to that the framerate is simply awful and has been understated by many reviews. Its good that gaming has moved away from these archaic design and formulas.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jcrame10

@Pedro said:

I can't say I share the same sentiment. I am close to finishing the game but the old mechanics and contrived design and puzzles is undesirable. In addition to that the framerate is simply awful and has been understated by many reviews. Its good that gaming has moved away from these archaic design and formulas.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The framerate dipped a lot for me and it was annoying. I guess I just got used to it after awhile.

Funny, it's the opposite for me. This game made me crave old school Zelda and how much I miss it. I really did not care for the open world RPG Fallout/Skyrim knock out that was Breath of the Wild. I would prefer to see a modern Zelda with dungeons and puzzles like this one. The only thing I didn't like about Link's Awakening is a lot of the times the game really gives you no clue or direction on where to go or what to do, and in the dungeons (particularly the last two) there's a few spots where there is no way you'd know what to do or where to find a specific item without looking it up.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pedro

@jcrame10 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The framerate dipped a lot for me and it was annoying. I guess I just got used to it after awhile.

Funny, it's the opposite for me. This game made me crave old school Zelda and how much I miss it. I really did not care for the open world RPG Fallout/Skyrim knock out that was Breath of the Wild. I would prefer to see a modern Zelda with dungeons and puzzles like this one. The only thing I didn't like about Link's Awakening is a lot of the times the game really gives you no clue or direction on where to go or what to do, and in the dungeons (particularly the last two) there's a few spots where there is no way you'd know what to do or where to find a specific item without looking it up.

That is the mechanics I was referring to. I never played this game's original version nor would I be a fan of it. Too many times I was like "OK, what is my goal again? What am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? What is the challenge in this dungeon?" Don't get be started on the zero explanation of new mechanics found in the last two dungeons and few other mini bosses. This formula for design is simply awful. Now, if it was more like Link Between Worlds then I have no quibbles but I don't want to see a revival of shitty game design.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jcrame10

@Pedro said:
@jcrame10 said:

That is the mechanics I was referring to. I never played this game's original version nor would I be a fan of it. Too many times I was like "OK, what is my goal again? What am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? What is the challenge in this dungeon?" Don't get be started on the zero explanation of new mechanics found in the last two dungeons and few other mini bosses. This formula for design is simply awful. Now, if it was more like Link Between Worlds then I have no quibbles but I don't want to see a revival of shitty game design.

I never played the original either, think I'll stick with the remake. It has a very old school feel to it because that's how games used to be- they didn't give you direction you just had to explore. We're just so used to games nowadays giving prompts, objectives and minimaps with a dozen items or so on them with what to do and what to collect.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@jcrame10 said:

I never played the original either, think I'll stick with the remake. It has a very old school feel to it because that's how games used to be- they didn't give you direction you just had to explore. We're just so used to games nowadays giving prompts, objectives and minimaps with a dozen items or so on them with what to do and what to collect.

This game has prompts, it tells you when you can interact with an object like modern games. Outside of that its a barren wasteland. That is not say I am requesting or expecting the game to load me up with "dozens" of items on the map but clear objectives wouldn't hurt. The challenge shouldn't be trying to figure out what the game wants the player to do but the player figuring out how to achieve what the game wants. Gamers and developers confuse the two and because of this it leads to either dumbing down the challenge or making the challenge itself obtuse. This game tries to inform the player of what to do with the phone huts but I would have preferred a log of some sort in the menu giving the same crypted direction rather than finding the location of the nearest phone hut to remind me of what I am supposed to be doing.

Don't get me started on the brain dead sea shells fetchquest.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jcrame10

@Pedro: I ignored that, I only found 12 my whole playthrough

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@jcrame10 said:

@Pedro: I ignored that, I only found 12 my whole playthrough

I was told it gives you the best weapon, so I initial pursued it but gave up in the end. Too much brain dead busy work.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24447 Posts

Cool. I refuse to buy it with that insane pricetag myself, but I might play it later sometime.

Same price as BotW. Really, Nintendo?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6200 Posts

I always hated top down zelda and have no nostalgia factor to any zelda game. . .

Its bang average is what I am trying to say.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1141 Posts

You guys nailed it. Zelda especially 2D Zelda has always had AWFUL game design and puzzles. It’s baffling how so many fanboys pretend they actually enjoy these trash games.

You guys explained it better than I ever could. Yet reviewers just slap on a 9/10 and call it a day because Zelda. Yawn.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24447 Posts

@ajstyles: A Link to the Past is a 10/10 game. Awful game design and puzzles? Well, it's lucky you're not a game designer.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jcrame10

@Pedro: if you beat the optional Color Dungeon and pick the blue tunic for extra defense, you don’t really need to spend all that time getting that special sword. Most of them enemies don’t take a lot to kill anyways

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2526 Posts

@Pedro said:

I don't think it's a problem that the mechanics are old - it is a remake of an old game after all.

The biggest problem is the frame rate. I'm inclined to say Link's Awakening runs worse than Breath of the Wild, and all I gotta say is....HOW does the frame rate get so bad for such a simple game. It's baffling just how bad the frame rate is.

Another big problem I'm having with Link's Awakening, is not so much the puzzles, but...some of the environmental passages in the game. I feel like at times the way-to-go is too obscure or unclear that you'll spend more time needlessly circling around the entire island just to find out where the hell you're supposed to go.

One of the most frustrating moments of this issue I had was when I had to go to the desert section of the game and the area is completely locked off except for one hidden pathway under ONE patch of grass you'd have to cut down to reveal stairs. It took me forever to even realize I had to cut grass just to reveal a pathway to a desert section; I actually had to look that online cause I thought I was in some dead end.

Moments like that don't even constitute as challenge yet you might spend a lot of time trying to find needles in a haystack. That is just frustrating when a game does that and Link's Awakening does that type of obscure progression a lot.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcrame10

@jaydan: I used a YouTube walkthrough for the majority of the game since I only rented it and didnt want to waste time aimlessly wandering around trying to figure out what to do next

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jcrame10

@Litchie: only Nintendo could get away with charging $60 for both games, lol

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jaydan

@jcrame10 said:

@jaydan: I used a YouTube walkthrough for the majority of the game since I only rented it and didnt want to waste time aimlessly wandering around trying to figure out what to do next

I don't like having to use Youtube guide's for otherwise easy games. Some of the stuff in Link's Awakening is just stupid obscure and you'll spend more time feeling like you're stuck at a dead-end than the game actually gives you a challenge.

I'll try to avoid online guides the best I could - but the difference between looking at an online guide for this game and a game like Dark Souls - is for Dark Souls you're still going to have to beat the game yourself and it still will be challenging; looking up a guide for Link's Awakening is more just a desire to skip to the next part with no hassle because there is no challenge that it will throw at you.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcrame10

@jaydan: that’s how it was for me, as I opted to pay $7 to rent the game for 5 days versus buying it for $60 i didn’t want to waste time on trial and error

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18120 Posts

@jcrame10: I finished it just before Dragon Quest 11 came out, and I don't remember getting stuck in any of the dungeons.

There were a few tricky bits, but overall they're a lot more straightforward than, say, the dungeons from the Oracle games.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2269 Posts

I’ll have to check it out

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5359 Posts

Yeah it's more expensive than it should be and the frame rate issues are unacceptable.

Other than that it's Link's Awakening with a few QoL improvements. It was fun revisiting the game, but it's still a remake of a gameboy game which is apparent in its simplicity. Looks great when it's running well.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 8751 Posts

It’s cool to find out 10 year old me was smarter than @Pedro lol.

Just kidding. Frame rate is a bummer.

I wanted to pick it up but can’t even keep a steady frame rate? Damn.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 3493 Posts

@Pedro said:

In addition to that the framerate is simply awful and has been understated by many reviews.

I don't think gaming journalist in 2019 really know what they're looking at. I still listen to a few podcasts, (who knows why) and when folks start talking about things like performance in games that haven't released yet, I cringe every time. The existence on Digital Foundry should scare any journalist away from discussing performance and resolution at this point. Even Jeff Bakalar from CNET misses on frame rate and resolution discussions the majority of the time. In fact, the enitre Giant Bomb crew has proven they know nothing about the tech that powers the medium they cover for a living. We all know IGN has no idea what they're looking at,

I would say the only thing we can trust gaming journalist on is the content in the game. But then again, Tom McShea thought Joel from TLOU was a drug dealer just because he had a nice house, which led him to not like the character from the jump.

The moral of the story is gaming journalist know nothing more that the rest of us, and really don't have the access to information like they used to.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jaydan

@Juub1990 said:

Just because you were a clever enough child to figure out some of the obscurities of the game, does not make it good game design.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 21958 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

only times its really noticeable is in the overworld when youre chopping bushes.

other than that....not really.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 15295 Posts

@jaydan said:
@Juub1990 said:

Just because you were a clever enough child to figure out some of the obscurities of the game, does not make it good game design.

I had no issues knowing what to do as a 8 year old either. Game was pretty straight forward.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19357 Posts

I finished it a week or so ago... and whilst I did really enjoy it (I actually liked it better than BotW - I know I'm probably the only one) & thought they did a good job of updating it (except for framerate), it's hard to look past the fact that it's still an old-school design and can be a bit annoying at times. But I still loved it overall.

Playing this really makes me hungry for a brand new Zelda in the same style one day!

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5693 Posts

The price tag for the game is way too much. I can't believe the framerate is that bad. I hate shit framerates. It's jarring.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcrame10

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I finished it a week or so ago... and whilst I did really enjoy it (I actually liked it better than BotW - I know I'm probably the only one) & thought they did a good job of updating it (except for framerate), it's hard to look past the fact that it's still an old-school design and can be a bit annoying at times. But I still loved it overall.

Playing this really makes me hungry for a brand new Zelda in the same style one day!

I hated Breath of the Wild.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19357 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I hated Breath of the Wild.

Lol, same. Well maybe not hate, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I much preferred the more linear/focused Zelda of Link's Awakening.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38490 Posts

Since I didn't finish the original game back on Gameboy cause I really didn't like it at the time, I didn't bother with this remake and Link's Awakening is still the least favorite Zelda game to date. But my daughter wanted this game so badly, I bought it for her and after watching her play it, it's not all that bad, despite her and I notice massive framerate drops here and their and she still had a blast. She also said she likes it more then Breath of the Wild.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5197 Posts

Before this remake I played the original at release so that's what, over twenty five years? With the D2 expac, the new PvZ and a few others, I put down Link right after the dungeon with the giant slime eye ball. Right now I don't feel $59.99 would be a justifiable price (which is why I am pleased I didn't pay it) but perhaps that thought will change later on. As it stands, I'm finding difficulty wanting to pick it up again and with Luigi coming in three weeks it might be shelved indefinitely.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4163 Posts

I'm refusing to reward Nintendo with my money for releasing an unfinished game. Fix the framerate and I'll buy.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jaydan

@Maroxad said:
@jaydan said:
@Juub1990 said:

I had no issues knowing what to do as a 8 year old either. Game was pretty straight forward.

As I've stated, it does not take a genius to figure out the game. If you spent countless hours as a child hacking away at blades of grass to reveal obscure passages - more power to you - but making obscure and unexplained passages hidden under seas of grass fields just waiting for you to stumble upon it is neither a form of good game design nor is it a form of challenge.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23611 Posts

For a Gameboy game, at the time, it was a magnificent achievement. However, even as a massive Zelda fan I just don't see the appeal of playing a 25 year old handheld title as a modern, 60 euro console game. As others have already said, it's fairly archaic in it's design and much shorter and simpler than even Link To The Past, another decades old title that at least had the power of the SNES. I hope a lot of naive gamers who adored Breath Of The Wild don't end up utterly disappointed in this one.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 13840 Posts

I bought it at $35 and am happy enough at that price. I definitely would have felt bad about spending $60 on it.

Good game but short, simplistic, and small in scale.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

User Lists: 1

#38 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts

Love the game, just as I did the original. The price tag doesn't bother me in relation to the game's length. I pay for experience, and I'd rather have a pricey but excellent twenty-hour experience than a cheap but mediocre one-hundred hour experience. I also really like the game's simplicity in combat and puzzle solving. It definitely retains that old-school Gameboy feel. The frame rate issues bother me a little, but it doesn't destroy the immersion.

9/10

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8605 Posts

Can't believe the game's too confusing for some people. Little ol' me was capable of 100% the game.

Scrubs.