Just exactly how much more powerful is PS5 over Series X and just how much better do the games run?

• 56 results
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I usually always get everything every generation, the Nintendo, the PlayStation, the Xbox. I'm an old man so I'm trying to be more minimalist when it comes to gaming, so I decided to get the Nintendo and just the PlayStation OR the Xbox. I decided on the Xbox, so I sold my PS4 and all my PS4 games while keeping my Xbox One X and all my Xbox One games. The main reason was because of free cloud saves on Xbox since I don't play online or subscribe to online services. I don't really care about exclusives, but I do like Halo, Gears and Forza better than the Sony exclusives, even though Halo Infinite looks terrible. I mostly play multiplats, and my most anticipated games this generation are Diablo 4, GTA 6, Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5.

Well now I'm feeling like I bet on the wrong horse. I kept my Xbox One X and Xbox One games around because that's what I'm going to be playing on the Series X, since there is NOTHING coming out anytime soon that I'm even remotely interested in. Like I said, Diablo 4, GTA 6, Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 are the only games I want and those could be years away, so I'm stuck right now playing Xbox One games for a while. Maybe Halo Infinite too if it doesn't suck too bad. But, now I'm thinking I should have kept my PS4 and PS4 games because of how much better the PS5 seems to be performing on games. I don't wanna get the system that performs worse on multiplats because multiplats are my favorite games. And since I sold all my PS4 games, I'd have nothing to play on PS5 for a couple years if I decided to go with it instead, unless I rebought all the games I sold. Money isn't an issue for me, but I don't like rebuying things I sold because it's just stupid.

The only benefit I see the Series X having is that its backwards compatibility performs better with last generation games so it's possible that it might be perfect for my situation, since I only plan on playing last gen games for the foreseeable future until the big hitters come out. But, when the big hitters come out, I'm gonna be pissed if PS5 destroys the Series X in performance on the new Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA, Diablo etc.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

I mean you do like Halo Forza Gears than PlayStation output so why not just continue with what you like.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 arkephonic

@sakaixx: Because exclusives aren’t important to me so they don’t influence my decision very much. My favorite games are multiplats. I like Uncharted, God of War, Forza, Halo, Gears, but not nearly as much as the multiplats I mentioned. I didn’t even finish Halo 5, Gears 5, Uncharted 4 or God of War. I probably put 1,000 hours into Diablo 3, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

The only correct answer is to wait a few months before making the decision.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

Sell that turd while it still has some value. You know Microsoft is gonna discount the series x to $300 in a few months anyway.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

It’s so awesome Sony Fan is setting themselves up for self-ownage.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

@arkephonic: then as per Phobos mentioned you should wait a few month to see whether Xbox situation has improved and bethesda games will be developed with xbox first in mind when Xbox complete the acquisition.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

@kuu2: .....How is he purely only a Sony fan?

Y’all get triggered too easily.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

if your building a garden wall then get a ps5,if you want every game you play to look better than on any console then the serious X is the place to be...even games not on xbox would look and run better on the serious X...sony studios would love the power of the X

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@bluestars said:

if your building a garden wall then get a ps5,if you want every game you play to look better than on any console then the serious X is the place to be...even games not on xbox would look and run better on the serious X...sony studios would love the power of the X

Aren't you tired of this act?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Not sure how MS managed to f* this up. They have marketing rights for AC:Valhalla? How is it possible a massive third party game like that runs better on ps5. Unbelievable...

MS should have had a small edge for third parties. I’m sure they were confident to get that. And yet here we are...

@bluestars said:

This is so wrong. For starters Series X has a way better shape if you want to build a garden wall.

Hah

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

PS5 is 10-15% more powerful.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I have no understanding of how a console with a better GPU can be failing this much... I don't know what MS plans on doing and I don't care.

On paper the XSX should be winning in every game but it isn't.

I would say get a PS5 as most games are multiplatform and when the XSX is patched up in 1-2 years and there are games you want for it then get the XSX as well or a gaming PC.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I have no understanding of how a console with a better GPU can be failing this much... I don't know what MS plans on doing and I don't care.

I would say get a PS5 as most games are multiplatform and when the XSX is patched up in 1-2 years and there are games you want for it then get the XSX as well or a gaming PC.

Late tools as been proven by Tom Warren at the Verge (and others) as the Devs get used to them the XBOX will look better than PS5 (marginally). And I know the usual suspects will come in and say I am making an excuse, but that is what reporters are reporting.. so I don't care what they say :D

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phlop_Spencer

@regnaston said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Late tools as been proven by Tom Warren at the Verge (and others) as the Devs get used to them the XBOX will look better than PS5 (marginally). And I know the usual suspects will come in and say I am making an excuse, but that is what reporters are reporting.. so I don't care what they say :D

LOL

nothing‘s been “proven” by the ms mouth piece Tom warren. Keep hoping though. Typical lemming, only believes what he wants to.

the proof is in the pudding - and PS5 whooping the xsx up and down the street.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 regnaston

@phlop_spencer: whatever you say PLOP, aka gamingisbad, etc

Shill

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Xbox better, wait. Nothing out at all anyway, just the usual remakes and garbage franchises.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

@Juub1990: Don't pick on him. He has no games to play since Series X doesn't have any multiplats that run better.

Or is it one? I dont remember.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Lol.... secret sauce, late tools. Man, you guys have not changed! XD

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

@regnaston said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Had this been a completely new architecture with "the CELL" type thing I would agree, but it's not. All these consoles have similar architectures with some minor tweaks, from the same company. Look how easily backwards compatibility is, games are running unpatched. How can it be the tools? It's like when you get a new GPU and CPU for your PC, you install some drivers, and you're good to go. Instantly higher framerates and resolution. I think that there is bottlenecks in the XsX system, and that this can be worked around with some new tricks and tools, but that means that the PS5 could also benefit from that.

I have no doubt that there will be next gen games that the XsX will do better at, but still it will be marginally, not 30-40% like some here believed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38813 Posts

At first i thought the x was 40% more powerful. Turns out its the ps5 that is 40% more powerful than the x.

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lilhurk1985187
Member since 2014 • 571 Posts

PS5 is weaker than Series X

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@lilhurk1985187 said:

PS5 is weaker than Series X

Truth. And there's no way that TES VI ends up being better on PS5, if it even has a version. In the event that Microsoft allows a PS5 TES VI version to exist, you can bet your bottom dollar it will run like crap on purpose.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@arkephonic: the xbox is more powerful than the ps5 but few games show that advantage right now. The reason some multiplats look slightly better on ps5, is because of the xbox series S plus I hear the dev tools are just now being released.

I have the ps5 and I am going through a few of the older games I haven't played yet, like the last of us 1, and soon the last of us 2. What I want to know is wtf are you playing on the playstation that makes you want one?? Theres absolutely nothing, its drier than even the xbox.

One of the downsides for me is the ps5 controller. Its nice, has cool features. The haptic feedback and mic are some things I wish the xbox controller has. On the otherhand, the xbox controller ergonomics and feel in the hand is unmatched.

Jippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jippo
Member since 2018 • 183 Posts

@phlop_spencer said:

Sell that turd while it still has some value. You know Microsoft is gonna discount the series x to $300 in a few months anyway.

and the PS5 will be drop to $200..:)

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

OP on drugs? How is the ps5 more powerful than the XSX when the numbers are lower in every category on the playstation?

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

I’m sorry, but didn’t they have to drop the resolution on the series X in AC just to keep pace with the PS5... ?

Is this late tools again?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Hardware is better, it's just a problem with optimization.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#29  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@arkephonic: Your actions make no sense. You sold your PS4 and then got XSX, but still kept your X1X? WTF? Why not just keep your PS4 and sell your X1X as it is redundant? Or better yet.... Sell the PS4 and X1X and buy the PS5 and XSX while keeping all your games. The new systems are backward compatible and offer enhancements to your existing games. Also, both systems have exclusives that you can't play on the competing system. So, it is worthwhile to have both.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Nuff. :P

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5873 Posts

@jippo said:
@phlop_spencer said:

and the PS5 will be drop to $200..:)

Doubt it, Sony had to price at a loss from the start to compete.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@Sushiglutton:

no...bricks are best for walls...the ps5 has had so many consoles brick they should be sponsored by lego

HAH

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Phlop_Spencer

@jippo: @Sevenizz: @lilhurk1985187: you guys are delusional. PS5 is superior to Xbox series x as shown in every multiplat comparison.

The sooner you accept the fact that you were bamboozled by Phil spencer the better for us all.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

I think everybody's getting too far off on the power tangent already because they're both close. The only thing everyone should be thinking about is content. PS5 launched with content, it helps. They're going to be covered decently for the next year as well, if they don't encounter delays.

Xbox, doesn't have that right now so much, but, they do have Game Pass. It's not worth much if there's no new content driving it, but it's going to be a great deal in the future. Xbox is more potential rich, but you can't have fun with potential.

Look, I just say if you only can afford one right now, just keep what you got. The systems are scarce as shit as things are still unsure as hell right now. Like I say, don't let power be a driving force behind your decisions.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 regnaston
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I think everybody's getting too far off on the power tangent already because they're both close. The only thing everyone should be thinking about is content. PS5 launched with content, it helps. They're going to be covered decently for the next year as well, if they don't encounter delays.

Xbox, doesn't have that right now so much, but, they do have Game Pass. It's not worth much if there's no new content driving it, but it's going to be a great deal in the future. Xbox is more potential rich, but you can't have fun with potential.

Look, I just say if you only can afford one right now, just keep what you got. The systems are scarce as shit as things are still unsure as hell right now. Like I say, don't let power be a driving force behind your decisions.

If the XSX starts getting content it will help. There are tons of games I have never played on Gamepass so that helps I guess 😁

Serious question, how much of either consoles upcoming releases is exclusive to the next gen console and not being made for the last gen?

I agree that both consoles are going to be extremely close in performance that unless you have the Digital Foundry tools at your fingertips you will never notice the difference between them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Hardware is slightly better in the Xbox, right? So games should look and run better there, and probably will as long as developers care to make their games look and run better on slightly better hardware.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The hardware is similar enough that I would expect both experiences to be about the same. Go with the one that has the exclusives you prefer. Xbox does have Game Pass going for it, which is very nice.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

What's the rush to move over? Wait a year or so and see how it all plays out.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

I don't know how old some of you are, but some of you might recall that we've seen this before. When the xbox 360 and the ps3 were released, the xbox 360 had an advantage in multiplat games despite the ps3 being the more powerful console. With more time, developers were unable to figure things out and unlock a little bit more of the potential. It's silly to compare multiplats right now but...

I get it. It's system wars. People are going to jump all over this stuff.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 arkephonic

@BassMan: I don't have a PS5 or a Series X. The only system I have right now is an Xbox One X. I said that I sold my PS4 and PS4 games because I was planning on getting a Series X instead of a PS5. I don't want both because they play the same games.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

The Xbox Series X is undeniably more powerful than the PS5. The difference however is not night and day.

But...

Multiplats on PS5 (so far) appear to be better optimized than their Series X counterparts which undeniably makes MS and the Series X look bad right now. The reason? Nobody knows for sure yet, it could be due to devs putting in more effort on the PS5 version or maybe something could be wrong/complicated with the Series X's architecture. But some, let's say "uninformed gamers" here, automatically assume that if a game runs better then the system it runs on is more powerful; Xbox 360 multiplats ran better despite being on the weaker console.

If you are undecided the best solution as others have pointed out is to wait this out to make a more informed decision, espeacially if no games caught your attention so far. It might prove beneficial due to the short supplies at the moment.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@phlop_spencer: As per usual, you are wrong.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#43 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@arkephonic: Alright, just make sure you sell the X1X when you get the XSX. It will just be redundant. Also, PC is best for multiplats and MS games. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

You chose sides...You chose wrong.

PS5 has the better multiplatform titles and the better exclusives the xbox is obsolete.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@TorqueHappens08 said:

I’m sorry, but didn’t they have to drop the resolution on the series X in AC just to keep pace with the PS5... ?

Is this late tools again?

Let's think about this for a second and use logic. The torch scene was dropping to 40 fps from 60fps when the dynamic resolution bottom was 1440p right? That's a 33% drop in performance because the res was too high right? Ok so ***THINK*** for a second, do you really think you gain a 33% increase in performance when you go from 1440p to 1188p? 1188p is 55% of 4k and 1440p is 67% of 4k. Please go ahead and explain to me how you gain 33% in performance by lowering the resolution 12%.

I don't know what is going on with the XSX performance but this patch with the slight drop in dynamic res bottom resolution is not telling me anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@ProtossRushX said:

You chose sides...You chose wrong.

PS5 has the better multiplatform titles and the better exclusives the xbox is obsolete.

Real gamers don't "chose sides", just broke children. Time to grow up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
@BassMan said:

@arkephonic: Alright, just make sure you sell the X1X when you get the XSX. It will just be redundant. Also, PC is best for multiplats and MS games. :)

That's bad advice, because people in his family can still use the X1X and play GPU and use Gold from his account if he keeps that system his primary.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Phlop_Spencer

Xbox series x has been underperforming so much so that MS has come out and damaged controlled the narrative. As it stands right now PS5 is more powerful and until the SX starts objectively performing better than the PS5, this will remain the case. Refer to the latest multiplat game comparisons for proof. Anyone denying this is just a dummy.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

No way, there are lots of great games on Gamepass I've never played before that I'm getting to now.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@lebanese_boy: They ran better on the 360 because it had a year head start and was MUCH easier to program for over the ps3s cell.

This is something else, both are fairly similar and neither has had a headstart over the other.