judging by what im reading, activision has completely killed guitar hero

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

warrirors of rock sounds horrid from both user and "professional" reviews... long term damage from kotick is starting to become visible. How much longer before call of duty is in the same boat? For me mw2 was already stale, but it sold like crazy... so I could be wrong.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

I think Kotick has a long fall coming, though through all his ridiculous smack talk, I believe he's made Activision a pretty penny.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

thanks for the good news :D

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
They mortally wounded it with Guitar Hero III and only proceeded to pump the near-corpse for cash while it cried weakly in vain.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i play it for the songs mostly, not the features in it
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I already realized this after Guitar hero 3.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I already realized this after Guitar hero 3.Fightingfan
Same here that is why I prefer Rock Band.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
This was a GH not on my radar anyway. I had fun with WT and Metallica, but I'd be just fine with GHIII, as it's my favorite music game with Rock Band 2.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
After reading a review, it doesn't seem that bad too me. It is mainly the player that is either bored, or doesn't like the songs. The difficulty may also be high for casual players, but i seem fine with that. The reviews may be for the casual players, but i play it more. So the difficulty doesn't disturb me
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Guitar Hero got boring when they decided to make it less a music game about being in a rock band to being a badass god of rock that saves the world by lighting moving gems on fire.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

The whole Genre is a joke imo.

Go out and buy or rent a instrument and make your own music!

craftieman05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 craftieman05
Member since 2008 • 349 Posts

Does it suprise you? They did the same thing with the Tony Hawk series.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/guitar-hero-warriors-of-rock/critic-reviews Sure is dead... dead dead dead. Everyone's saying it 's dead! Personally, the game seems good. Definitely better than the horrid rock band 3 (People want to play plastic guitars with 1000 buttons!!! YEAH!)
craftieman05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 craftieman05
Member since 2008 • 349 Posts

kozzy1234

People who say things like this really grind my gears. I just don'tthink you knowwhy some people play it. I play an instrument. I have a Gibson SG with a Marshall MG 250 amp. I play these game to have fun with or without friends, who may or may not be very musically inclined. I don't play it to live out some fantasy or think I am actually playing the damn song. I know how to actually play most of the songs on my guitar. You, my friend, need to get off your high horse.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

craftieman05

People who say things like this really grind my gears. I just don'tthink you knowwhy some people play it. I play an instrument. I have a Gibson SG with a Marshall MG 250 amp. I play these game to have fun with or without friends, who may or may not be very musically inclined. I don't play it to live out some fantasy or think I am actually playing the damn song. I know how to actually play most of the songs on my guitar. You, my friend, need to get off your high horse.

You need to get off your high horse as well. People have different opinions. Freedom of speech exists for a reason.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

craftieman05

Ive come to the conclusion that most (not all) of the people who hate GH/RB and the people who play it are unable to play a fake or real instrument themselves.

I play the games to interact while listening to a song that I like. It's like telling someone not to sing along to their favorite song.... sorry, but I'm gonna sing. :lol:

On topic: Yes, GH sucks now, I'm getting rock band.... just hope it's not to many 80's songs because of the keyboard addition :P

clruff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clruff
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts

I'm not much of a music game player. My nephews play Guitar Hero 3 a lot.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Hopefully this is the end of GH and we can see some of those songs as Rock Band DLC in the near future.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Ive come to the conclusion that most (not all) of the people who hate GH/RB and the people who play it are unable to play a fake or real instrument themselves.

I play the games to interact while listening to a song that I like. It's like telling someone not to sing along to their favorite song.... sorry, but I'm gonna sing. :lol:

On topic: Yes, GH sucks now, I'm getting rock band.... just hope it's not to many 80's songs because of the keyboard addition :P

FragTycoon

Agreed on all fronts!

... Except the 80's jab. Bring on Safety Dance!!! :P

meme_peddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 meme_peddler
Member since 2010 • 96 Posts
I think Pachter said it all when he called it an air-guitar game. People love doing air-guitar an guitar hero plays into that. Apparently the devs didn't even realize themselves that people are not interested in Guitar Hero to learn to play the guitar.
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

[QUOTE="FragTycoon"]

santoron

Agreed on all fronts!

you can dance if you want to.... :P

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

The music game genre is pretty stupid imo. With all the money people spend on these games and the plastic instruments you could go out and by a pretty decent guitar.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Sticking with rock band in this house hold I stopped caring about GH when red octane stopped developing them.
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

The music game genre is pretty stupid imo. With all the money people spend on these games and the plastic instruments you could go out and by a pretty decent guitar.

DillonShwing

Except learning to play a musical instrument bottlenecks you into that instrument, and requires 3x the effort. People want to be able to listen to a song they like, while being able to play along with the song and have an effect on it while it`s being played. Unless you join a cover band "after" you've already spent years learning how to play, then you wouldn't be able to get that same type of engagement.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

kozzy1234

people have there opinions

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Who else could you possibly blame. Certainly not Harmonix and I'm sure Neversoft would love to actually spend a decent amount of time developing the games than rushing them out the door.

If nothing at least they didn't pump out like six Guitar Hero game this year, but the damage has already been done. This dead horse has been beaten thoroughly.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
thats nice to hear, I was getting pretty annoyed when the "Guitar Hero/Rock Bnd" trend was taking over. Anyways who didnt see this coming?
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

kozzy1234

i play a real instrument but i also enjoy music games.

OT: i agree. guitar hero has gone to **** since the third one and rock band blows it out of the water as far as an enjoyable music experience but the GH games are still fun to play if not just for the different songs.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]Definitely better than the horrid rock band 3 (People want to play plastic guitars with 1000 buttons!!! YEAH!)ichc1000x

That's perhaps the most ignorant statement I've ever heard.

Is it really? I don't know a single person that finds that guitar a good idea. Do you? If so, why? Care to explain?

They got the idea that people that play guitar hero/rockband do it because they're wannabe musicians, so now they're creating plastic pseudo-real instruments. They're basically killing the soul of the game.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]Definitely better than the horrid rock band 3 (People want to play plastic guitars with 1000 buttons!!! YEAH!)T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Is it really? I don't know a single person that finds that guitar a good idea. Do you? If so, why? Care to explain?

They got the idea that people that play guitar hero/rockband do it because they're wannabe musicians, so now they're creating plastic pseudo-real instruments. They're basically killing the soul of the game.

truthfully, the thought of playing a real guitar has always interested me since i started playing guitar hero and rock band, and being able to actually gain some guitar playing abilities from the next rock band would be pretty cool, kinda like how it taught people to actually do some things that actual drummers do, i know that the rock band guitar and drums arent the real thing, but they can help to bridge the gap between those who want to learn the instruments but have always felt intimidated by different aspects of the actual instruments, i rarely if ever play rythm games anymore, i used to play every single day, but rock band 3 still interests me because of the new guitar pro mode
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Great, that leaves us with just Rock Band, as it should be. Funny how GH tanked without Harmonix, and then Harmonix went on to make a superior series while Activision drove Guitar Hero into the ground.
T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

linkin_guy109

truthfully, the thought of playing a real guitar has always interested me since i started playing guitar hero and rock band, and being able to actually gain some guitar playing abilities from the next rock band would be pretty cool, kinda like how it taught people to actually do some things that actual drummers do, i know that the rock band guitar and drums arent the real thing, but they can help to bridge the gap between those who want to learn the instruments but have always felt intimidated by different aspects of the actual instruments, i rarely if ever play rythm games anymore, i used to play every single day, but rock band 3 still interests me because of the new guitar pro mode

Now I don't want to sound like the typical guitar hero / rockband hater but... if you really are interested in playing the real instrument. Get the real instrument.

The new rockband guitar looks about as complicated as a real guitar (if not more). Have you seen the chart?? It's a sequence of numbers going down at high speed... It's just no fun...

Edit: Sreencapped the part I'm talking about

I mean, c'mon really??

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Rhythm based games can't evolve. How different is Guitar Hero 99 gonna be from the 1st? They' cant make the game more complex otherwise it alienates the primary fanbase, so that leaves Rock band/Guitar Hero92424 with some new songs.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="FragTycoon"]

santoron

Agreed on all fronts!

We can dance if we want to...

We can leave your friends behind...

'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance...

Well they're no friends of mine! :P

--------

I knew GH was dying dead to me since the Non Harmonix GHIII, as far as why Rockband is superior, it's Harmonix.

I love these games as I have a lot of BBQ's and parties, and these are just fun with a lot of people. Some people should just understand that a party or family scenario makes these games way more fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
They did a good job untill they were forced to change the formula due to Rock Band, and its been the superior option ever since. though the demo for WoR seemed like a step back in the right direction for me. GH should focus on the hardcore shreading
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts
Great, that leaves us with just Rock Band, as it should be. Funny how GH tanked without Harmonix, and then Harmonix went on to make a superior series while Activision drove Guitar Hero into the ground.Skittles_McGee
next up call of duty, situation seems familiar doesn't it? Most of infinity ward are at ea now, lol.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

To think, just 3 years ago the Guitar Hero franchise was considered a revolutionary game series that would be long standing alongside Rock Band.

Now there are so many crap Guitar Hero games that people are just tired of music games in general, all thanks to Kotick who is on his way to making military FPS games a forgotten genre.

Thanks for ruining games Bobby Kotick!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

warrirors of rock sounds horrid from both user and "professional" reviews... long term damage from kotick is starting to become visible. How much longer before call of duty is in the same boat? For me mw2 was already stale, but it sold like crazy... so I could be wrong.

TerrorRizzing
I have to plans on getting Black Ops and I'm completely done with Guitar Hero. Last one I bought was Aerosmith. Last Rock Band I got was 'The Beatles'. That's it for me. I'm happen with MW2 and Halo: Reach. Don't really need anything else. Might get Brink and Hydrophobia.
ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ichc1000x
Member since 2010 • 518 Posts

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]Definitely better than the horrid rock band 3 (People want to play plastic guitars with 1000 buttons!!! YEAH!)T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Yes, it is. Perhaps a real guitar costs what? $800 - $1000? This thing costs $150. The only way this thing could be bad is if it didn't work. From what I'm seeing, it works quite fine to me.Guitar Hero was made so you can have the feeling of being a rock star. Rock Band expanded that. Oh, and did you ever consider the fact thatthis guitar is totally OPTIONAL? You can stilluse this game with your other Rock Band instruments. So yeah, your statement is completely ignorant.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Moral of the Story: Diminishing returns hurt a lot.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

ichc1000x

Yes, it is. Perhaps a real guitar costs what? $800 - $1000? This thing costs $150. The only way this thing could be bad is if it didn't work. From what I'm seeing, it works quite fine to me.Guitar Hero was made so you can have the feeling of being a rock star. Rock Band expanded that. Oh, and did you ever consider the fact thatthis guitar is totally OPTIONAL? You can stilluse this game with your other Rock Band instruments. So yeah, your statement is completely ignorant.

It's hilariously ironic to see you call my statement ignorant and then proceed to say that a guitar costs 1000$.

I'd also like to call your atention to the picture I posted before in this topic. Do you really think that's something that will be fun to play? And yeah, sure you can use the normal guitar, but that's just the same all over again isn't it? And if that's bad in guitar hero, I'm guessing the same applies to rock band.

ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ichc1000x

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

It's hilariously ironic to see you call my statement ignorant and then proceed to say that a guitar costs 1000$.

I'd also like to call your atention to the picture I posted before in this topic. Do you really think that's something that will be fun to play? And yeah, sure you can use the normal guitar, but that's just the same all over again isn't it? And if that's bad in guitar hero, I'm guessing the same applies to rock band.

Here are some flaws with your desperate comeback. First, it's eBay. Everything on there is sold by individual people, and they set the prices. A guitar from a company itself costs around $650 at average. Second, the learning curve for the guitar will be pretty simple. From Harmonix's previous work, they've showed us that they canteach us how to use a peripheral. Third, they're making the guitar chart as accurate to the actual guitar part as they can with a peripheral like that. If you're going to go and whine that the charts are "too difficult" on Expert, then you need to go and whine to the musicians. Finally, it's hilarious seeing you actually try and look like you know what you're talking about. In your original post, you looked and sounded like a complete troll. You still do.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

ichc1000x

Here are some flaws with your desperate comeback. First, it's eBay. Everything on there is sold by individual people, and they set the prices. A guitar from a company itself costs around $650 at average. Second, the learning curve for the guitar will be pretty simple. From Harmonix's previous work, they've showed us that they canteach us how to use a peripheral. Third, they're making the guitar chart as accurate to the actual guitar part as they can with a peripheral like that. If you're going to go and whine that the charts are "too difficult" on Expert, then you need to go and whine to the musicians. Finally, it's hilarious seeing you actually try and look like you know what you're talking about. In your original post, you looked and sounded like a complete troll. You still do.

While I perfectly agree that my original post was in a not very appropriate tone, It was only due to trying to go down to the level of all the other posters bashing guitar hero without any reason.

Yet, I fail to see how you can accuse any of my other posts of trolling. Maybe that, and the idea that came out of nowhere (when it's apparently you that never saw a real guitar) that I don't know what I'm talking about are just your defense mechanisms for when you sense that logic has failed you.

I also see that my "desperate comeback" left you without any real comeback. It's still obvious to me you never went to a guitar shop in your entire life, nor have any idea of what a begginer's guitar costs. The one I put there is a perfectly normal price for a beginners guitar. It doesn't matter if it's from ebay or from where the hell it is. Do tell me when you find the brand new Rock Band 3 guitar selling for 10$ at eBay, since the prices there are so obviously out of touch with reality.

If anyone really wants to learn how to play a real guitar, I don't see why exactly it would be preferable to do it with a more expensive plastic one. It's not cheaper, and it's not the real thing. Again, reading those number flowing down the screen (if that's even possible at normal speed) is hardly the best way to learn how to play.

ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ichc1000x

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

While I perfectly agree that my original post was in a not very appropriate tone, It was only due to trying to go down to the level of all the other posters bashing guitar hero without any reason.

Yet, I fail to see how you can accuse any of my other posts of trolling. Maybe that, and the idea that came out of nowhere (when it's apparently you that never saw a real guitar) that I don't know what I'm talking about are just your defense mechanisms for when you sense that logic has failed you.

I also see that my "desperate comeback" left you without any real comeback. It's still obvious to me you never went to a guitar shop in your entire life, nor have any idea of what a begginer's guitar costs. The one I put there is a perfectly normal price for a beginners guitar. It doesn't matter if it's from ebay or from where the hell it is. Do tell me when you find the brand new Rock Band 3 guitar selling for 10$ at eBay, since the prices there are so obviously out of touch with reality.

If anyone really wants to learn how to play a real guitar, I don't see why exactly it would be preferable to do it with a more expensive plastic one. It's not cheaper, and it's not the real thing. Again, reading those number flowing down the screen (if that's even possible at normal speed) is hardly the best way to learn how to play.

I actually have been in a guitar shop. Well, since you are in touch with Guitar Hero so much, what do you think about that stupid touch pad that they added on to the guitar? It's clunky, it doesn't work the way they were promoting it, and it just seems useless. I own the Guitar Hero peripherals and the Rock Band peripherals, and Rock Band's are absolutely better. TheRB drumslast much longer, the guitar works like a charm, and,well,there's themicrophone. What I'mtrying to say is that this guitar is going to work, and you'll be wrong. Have fun trollingRock Band 3, even though it'lldestroy Guitar Hero!

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

ichc1000x

I actually have been in a guitar shop. Well, since you are in touch with Guitar Hero so much, what do you think about that stupid touch pad that they added on to the guitar? It's clunky, it doesn't work the way they were promoting it, and it just seems useless. I own the Guitar Hero peripherals and the Rock Band peripherals, and Rock Band's are absolutely better. TheRB drumslast much longer, the guitar works like a charm, and,well,there's themicrophone. What I'mtrying to say is that this guitar is going to work, and you'll be wrong. Have fun trollingRock Band 3, even though it'lldestroy Guitar Hero!

Hey, I'm not arguing that's it's not going to work. It obviously is. I'm just saying it's neither more fun than the original premise (the fun, party friendly music game), nor a better way to learn how to play a real guitar when compared to actually picking up a cheaper actually real guitar.

As for the perihepals, I almost completely agree. I do prefer the rock band drums but I prefer the feel of the guitar hero guitar. Also, yeah, the touch strip is just a gimmick which matters zero to actual gameplay. (Although this is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand)

sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

kozzy1234
I do play an instrument, the drums, and I find Rock Band to be perfect to go along with it. The song's I've played both in the game and IRL have been almost identical, and the game is great for keeping your hands up to speed.
ichc1000x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ichc1000x

[QUOTE="ichc1000x"]

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Hey, I'm not arguing that's it's not going to work. It obviously is. I'm just saying it's neither more fun than the original premise (the fun, party friendly music game), nor a better way to learn how to play a real guitar when compared to actually picking up a cheaper actually real guitar.

As for the perihepals, I almost completely agree. I do prefer the rock band drums but I prefer the feel of the guitar hero guitar. Also, yeah, the touch strip is just a gimmick which matters zero to actual gameplay. (Although this is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand)

Okay. You have your opinions of the guitar, and I have mine. Case closed.

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Okay. You have your opinions of the guitar, and I have mine. Case closed.

ichc1000x

Agreed! ;)

Although my oppinion is better!

[spoiler] I kid! I kid! [/spoiler]