JRPG's are not RPG's.

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Spikenenspikspi
Spikenenspikspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spikenenspikspi
Member since 2005 • 235 Posts

Alright, first of all, I know I'm probably gonna be flamed for this, but whatever. This has really bugged me for a long time. It's like if a game has turn-based combat, leveling and some dialog it's a RPG. This just sounds wrong to me. As of late, anything with leveling and an inventory is automatically a RPG.

When you play a JRPG, you don't define your destiny. I play a role, but I have no control of my character. JRPG's are extremely linear with absolutely no choices and consequences. JRPG's have dialog, but I can't chose what I want my character to say. It's like you're watching a movie (or more like reading a novel) with some turn-based combat. I don't get it. What's so great about this? Let alone what's so RPG about this?

I have a friend who thought (and probably still does) Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever, and probably the best game ever. I borrowed it since he couldn't stop talking about it. Also before this I've never in my life touched a JRPG, so FFVII would be my first. So, yeah, I completed it. Did I like it? It was alright. Story was OK, the dialog was weird, gameplay was kinda boring and repetitive (I move 2 steps at a time and have to fight the same monsters over and over, wooh, fun), I thought Cloud was a pretty good character and I liked the art design. But I thought it was melodramatic.

Then about 2 years later I found Fallout. The copy was sitting in a bargain bin in my local video game store, and on the cover it said "Remember Wasteland?" and I was sure I had played it at some point in my youth. I sat down to play it at 9 in the evening, and I didn't even notice I had played it for 6 hours straight. This game was mindblowing to me. This is a RPG! I called the same friend who thought FFVII was the best ever to say I had found a better RPG. He played it for 1 hour and he said "This isn't a RPG... it's a shooter game".

To this day I can't believe he thought Fallout was a shooter! A shooter!!

So, my point is... I'm not criticizing anyone's taste in games, just... don't call it a RPG.

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
shush don't tell the fanobys that.
Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts
WRPG and JRPG.

/End
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

Leveling system is what makes a game an RPG

Literally....I don't know what ur trying to say....

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
Not in one game can you get full control over the character you play. Games always have restrictions.
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts
You do know that JRPGs were the first RPGs ever released, right?
xxastrocreepxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xxastrocreepxx
Member since 2008 • 810 Posts

He played it for 1 hour and he said "This isn't a RPG... it's a shooter game".

To this day I can't believe he thought Fallout was a shooter! A shooter!!Spikenenspikspi

Good story, but woah.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

The definition of a Role Playing Game is: To assume the role of science fiction characters, wether that be created or preset, and create or follow stories.

With your logic, Dragon Quest one wasn't an RPG because you couldn't decide the outcome of the game.

EDIT: I think what you mean to say is, "I don't like JRPG's much, I prefer WRPG's" There, your whole essay all summed up, your welcome.

Spikenenspikspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spikenenspikspi

Leveling system is what makes a game an RPGf50p90

So, by that logic, Dead Rising is a RPG?

Avatar image for starwarsgeek112
starwarsgeek112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwarsgeek112
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
Okay, I'm not the biggest fan of RPGs but you obviously don't know what one is.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

The definition of a Role Playing Game is: To assume the role of science fiction characters, wether that be created or preset, and create or follow stories.

With your logic, Dragon Quest one wasn't an RPG because you couldn't decide the outcome of the game.

Nagidar

This.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 f50p90

Nagidar

You assume the role of characters in EVERY game.. Ninja Gaiden - Ryu MGS - Snake... Hell in sports games you assume the role of the players...

What makes an RPG an RPG is having a leveling system. That's not an opinion that's a fact in video games.... With that said having a leveling system won't make two games the same. Western and JP devs do things a lot differently, so JRPGs and WRPGs are a lot different, to complete different genres. But they are technically both RPGs

VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts

RPGs are about Stats plain and simple. What seperates them from other genres is that your character determines the outcome through use of dialog skill and other skills, not the player.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

[QUOTE="f50p90"]Leveling system is what makes a game an RPGSpikenenspikspi

So, by that logic, Dead Rising is a RPG?

It is possible to have RPG elements and not be an RPG.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1
Hate on FF7 all you want but it still has a lot more deeper and better story than the majority of the WRPG games.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nagidar
[QUOTE="Nagidar"]

f50p90

You assume the role of characters in EVERY game.. Ninja Gaiden - Ryu MGS - Snake... Hell in sports games you assume the role of the players...

What makes an RPG an RPG is having a leveling system. That's not an opinion that's a fact in video games.... With that said having a leveling system won't make two games the same. Western and JP devs do things a lot differently, so JRPGs and WRPGs are a lot different, to complete different genres. But they are technically both RPGs

No, no, that was just the basic meaning of Role Playing Game, heres the full definition: Link

Spikenenspikspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spikenenspikspi

Okay, I'm not the biggest fan of RPGs but you obviously don't know what one is.starwarsgeek112

Well, alright. What I think a real RPG should have is choices and consequences. JRPG's offer none of that.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts
so, you played one JRPG, and now your an expert?
f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 f50p90

[QUOTE="starwarsgeek112"]Okay, I'm not the biggest fan of RPGs but you obviously don't know what one is.Spikenenspikspi

Well, alright. What I think a real RPG should have is choices and consequences. JRPG's offer none of that.

What you think doesn't matter :lol: RPG means having a leveling system. A lot of people look at Mass Effect and figure how the hell can that be an RPG? it's RPG elements suck and it's just a TPS.. But it's an RPG
Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts
Agreed. JRPG fanboys dont understand this though, they never will.
blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts
They give you a role to play, and you play it. That's roleplaying. I find other rpg's to be much less rpgish
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JLF1

[QUOTE="starwarsgeek112"]Okay, I'm not the biggest fan of RPGs but you obviously don't know what one is.Spikenenspikspi

That is your definition of Role-playing games. Mine is that you play a story the same way you read a book. And a lot of JRPGs offer consequences and choices BTW.
neomatrix909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 neomatrix909
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
WOW after all these years of gaming i feel robbed, im returning all my JRPG's back from the PS1 era. your post makes alot of sense. thanks for revealing the truth...
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Agreed. JRPG fanboys dont understand this though, they never will.Drukter

and youll never understand that they are, they pretty much define RPG.

i guess NWN2 isnt an RPG, since you have no control of your destiny.

being able to choose, often pointless dialog options doesnt make it not an RPG.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

jrpg = rpg

wrpg = first person camra view from an fps game with rpg like elements not really a traditional rpg game like a jrpg.

Spikenenspikspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spikenenspikspi

being able to choose, often pointless dialog options doesnt make it not an RPG.warmaster670

But following a strictly linear story with NO choices does?

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 f50p90

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]being able to choose, often pointless dialog options doesnt make it not an RPG.Spikenenspikspi

No it doesn't, but you don't seem to understand what constitutes an RPG anyway...
Spikenenspikspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Spikenenspikspi
[QUOTE="Spikenenspikspi"]

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]being able to choose, often pointless dialog options doesnt make it not an RPG.f50p90

No it doesn't, but you don't seem to understand what constitutes an RPG anyway...

Oh, yeah, sorry. Leveling = RPG. Gotcha.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

JRPG's are RPGs.

In fact, they are the original RPG.

There are no other RPGs.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Eh, that's why JRPG is a different type of RPG from WRPG. Because they are different. Sorry you are close-minded and believe there to be only one.... : | But you clearly proved your ignorance.
Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts

They give you a role to play, and you play it. That's roleplaying. I find other rpg's to be much less rpgishblingchu55

No. You are not supposed to be GIVEN an role, you're supposed to CREATE the role yourself, hence why JRPGs are not RPGs.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Ugh, I said this in another thread recently (IE today), so I'll wrap that up: JRPG's are RPG's.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JLF1

[QUOTE="blingchu55"]They give you a role to play, and you play it. That's roleplaying. I find other rpg's to be much less rpgishDrukter

No. You are not supposed to be GIVEN an role, you're supposed to CREATE the role yourself, hence why JRPGs are not RPGs.

Can you please tell me were that rule is written please. And FYI NOT ONE game, jrpg or wrpg has given you the complete control over your created character. So in your definition there exist no role-playing games.
rond5566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 rond5566
Member since 2004 • 601 Posts

You do know that JRPGs were the first RPGs ever released, right?ChrnoTrigger

Sorry, but I lawled

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
The Witcher is not an RPG.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Funny how WRPG nerds like to babble on about choices when most of the time choices in WRPG don't actually effect anything other than the ending and thats basically it and perhaps a few other meaningless things. Anyway there hasn't been a good WRPG since KOTOR.. Maybe The Witcher but thats about it. Both Mass Effect and Oblivion I found incredibly boring and repetative, I wanna play some fun RPGs, some JRPGs. I don't wanna play no mute character where nobody gives a crap about you in a world full of ugly people or a generic macho man no# 10000 in this repetative quest to kill aliens. I'm holding out hope for Fable 2 though. Although I'm a bit disappoint it's only 12 hours long the storyline.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 odin2019

Rpg consist of final boss, important enemy characters with important characters on your side and finding out a lot more about those people. Story eventually ends like all stories do.

Wrpg is go online meet anyone anywhere. endless amount of land to explore with no final boss and no ending. The story is the same every time you play its just in a different location. All you do is explore new areas and fight slightly different enemies each time you play and really your not going any where. The story can't really relate to anyone elses because its always different. Thats what your own life is for.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
The traditional JRPGs are very similar to the original pen and paper RPGs, more so than most WRPGs, which is where I imagine the connection is made. Most RPGs these days don't resemble anything close to those original ones, they both stemed out and changed, although its not hard to trace their roots back to where they came from.
Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

Hey TC... strangely enough I had a topic about this yesterday, and I said EXACTLY the same thing as you.... JRPG's don't really have anything that even remotely resembles Role-Playing.... to me, JRPG's are more like JSA's (Japanese Story-driven Adventures).....

.... and I"m not a hater.... I love me some JSA's, but RPG's they are NOT!

Spikenenspikspi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spikenenspikspi

Wrpg is go online meet anyone anywhere. endless amount of land to explore with no final boss and no ending.

odin2019

Uhh, that's called a MMO.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 f50p90

Hey TC... strangely enough I had a topic about this yesterday, and I said EXACTLY the same thing as you.... JRPG's don't really have anything that even remotely resembles Role-Playing.... to me, JRPG's are more like JSA's (Japanese Story-driven Adventures).....

Veterngamer
I like how you created your own little genre out of thin air. Also like how you are the gaming god and get to decide what's what :?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Spikenenspikspi

which is what 90% of WRPGs are these days anyway.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JLF1

Veterngamer

Then can you mention ONE WRPG that you as the player has the real control over your created characters destiny?
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 odin2019
[QUOTE="odin2019"]

Wrpg is go online meet anyone anywhere. endless amount of land to explore with no final boss and no ending.

Spikenenspikspi

Its a wrpg. It really has no story at all because its the same thing every time you play it. You go to a different location and you fight different enemies and thats it. Its not really a story and its quite predictable. Thats why its labeled by most as cyber crack.

Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

Rpg consist of final boss, important enemy characters with important characters on your side and finding out a lot more about those people. Story eventually ends like all stories do.

Wrpg is go online meet anyone anywhere. endless amount of land to explore with no final boss and no ending. The story is the same every time you play its just in a different location. All you do is explore new areas and fight slightly different enemies each time you play and really your not going any where. The story can't really relate to anyone elses because its always different. Thats what your own life is for.

odin2019

lol..... ahhh man.... ah geez... I'm not even gonna bother. :lol:

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

Veterngamer

Agreed.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nagidar
[QUOTE="Spikenenspikspi"][QUOTE="odin2019"]

odin2019

Its a wrpg.

Do you even know what WRPG means?

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 f50p90

WRPGs do play A LOT like MMORPGs except WRPGs feel empty bland and boring because your playing with NPCs and not actual people.

JRPGs tend to have more life and better story driven RPG elements...Yet still, these are all RPGs. I'm not some kind of elitist trying to claim what is and isn't a certain type of game.. *cough* tc

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 odin2019
[QUOTE="odin2019"][QUOTE="Spikenenspikspi"][QUOTE="odin2019"]

Nagidar

Its a wrpg.

Do you even know what WRPG means?

western role playing game or world role playing game.