JRPG vs WRPG - Which are better?

• 192 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

medicine_freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 medicine_freak
Member since 2003 • 300 Posts
Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. medicine_freak
Speaking of the oldies, Might and Magic (the originals) were completely awesome in every way. If you've never had the priveledge to play one of the original Might and Magic games from the 90's (and 80's), I feel for you. By far the best RPGs I've ever played. This is one series that needs to come back in a really bad way. Call me a Might and Magic fanboy, I don't care. It's true. I'd agree with you. This was one series that is worthy of fanboyism.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#103 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. medicine_freak
I do not agree with you at all.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I grew up with JRPGs but I'd have to say WRPGs have really crushed JRPGs nowadays. Bigger worlds, non linear, more customization, more mods, better combat system and such.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#105 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

WRPGs

Sandallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Sandallman
Member since 2009 • 408 Posts
dude, where is both are good? for me, its whoever makes the best RPG in itself. i dont go judging it by its nationality.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#107 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. iowastate

Ever play Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2? If not than you have a reason you can disagree.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#108 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Would you like to use some games as a point of reference?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 190586385885857957282413308806

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. Lionheart08

My post lists the two major ones that come to mind.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#110 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
JRPGS suck. I hate them, never liked them, and I hate Japan, so... WRPGS.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#111 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. smerlus

I mean that's cool, it's just I'm noticing a reoccuring theme in this thread of people say "_RPG is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than _RPG" without at least explaining why the feel that way.

medicine_freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 medicine_freak

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. Lionheart08

I mentioned them in the post just before this. But like a previous poster said, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate II,
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

WRPG for me, but I've honestly never given JRPGS a real chance. Dragon age heavily tips the scale further to WRPG.

medicine_freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 medicine_freak

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

I mean that's cool, it's just I'm noticing a reoccuring theme in this thread of people say "_RPG is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than _RPG" without at least explaining why the feel that way.

I feel that WRPGs have better stories mainly due to the enormous variety in the settings, the deeper backgrounds, and the fact that you can actually drive them. Most JRPGs are role imitation games, not role playing games, and the stories are carbon copies regardless of the actions you do in game. Where else would you play an immortal protagonist with complete memory loss living in a hellish plane investigating his own past? Certainly not in a JRPG.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

I think JRPG's cover emotions and motivations in an elementary way. You usually never have to decide what is right, you never have to put your needs in front of the main mission and there's never a huge choice as to, does your character do the greater good no matter what the cost or stick to a strong moral balance. I haven't seen a JRPG that really handles betrayal or revenge well. If a person on your team betrays you, they are either your enemy from then on out or you welcome them and that is scripted, you don't get to choose. In NWN 2, when a party member that I often butted heads with but i equiped very well decided to part ways because she didn't agree with my latest action, and she threatened me before she left...I could have either let her leave or kill her. The best part is that it was my choice. Also revenge that is scripted really isn't a good way to do revenge for me. In Morrowind, the more I found out about the three demigods on the game (Almexia, Vivec and the other guy...) the more I disliked them. In an expansion you have to kill the one but the other one you could let live or you can do what i did. break into his temple, kill him, trap his soul in a gem and make a very powerful sword out of it and name the sword.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
I prefer RPG. But if you wanna go that way, i still prefer JRPG. They are better overral. WRPG are more about gameplay and open world, and lack a good storyline, wich i like in games.
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
only played one JRPG this gen, and that was ToV, awful awful game. stupid characters, story is weak and pointless for at least the first 5 hours [all i managed to withstand], combat is rubbish, has all the jrpg stereotypical character types in, all the characters act like they're in a cartoon for 6 year olds. its basically like playing Pokemon the anime the game. so from that, WRPGs are my favourite, never played one i didn't like [that includes two worlds]
Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#118 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
i like JRPG's but only few (FF, Tales of..) i prefer WRPG's because of the gameplay is usually better and it just feels familiar, but that's my opinion
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#119 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

why are people talking as if turn-based combat is the pinnacle of strategy? Turn-based combat is nothing more than a sub-category of gameplay which has it's own set of strategies compared to real time combat.

Turned based combat is NOT more strategically inclined than real time combat. Turned based combat is just more friendly to the people who can't think fast and need pauses to micro-manage.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] My post lists the two major ones that come to mind.medicine_freak

I feel that WRPGs have better stories mainly due to the enormous variety in the settings, the deeper backgrounds, and the fact that you can actually drive them. Most JRPGs are role imitation games, not role playing games, and the stories are carbon copies regardless of the actions you do in game. Where else would you play an immortal protagonist with complete memory loss living in a hellish plane investigating his own past? Certainly not in a JRPG.

Take out "hellish plane" and "immortal" and you've got a JRPG.

The ability to drive the plot doesn't make it better. Choose your own adventure novels aren't more viable than novels without that ... novelty.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 hakanakumono

why are people talking as if turn-based combat is the pinnacle of strategy? Turn-based combat is nothing more than a sub-category of gameplay which has it's own set of strategies compared to real time combat.

Turned based combat is NOT more strategically inclined than real time combat. Turned based combat is just more friendly to the people who can't think fast and need pauses to micro-manage.

jhcho2

Play Xenosaga Ep. II and III. They're fairly strategic and couldn't really be done real time. It wouldn't work.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I prefer JRPGs for the most part. Generally I feel that they have better stories than WPGS and with RPGs Story pretty much takes the forefront. Both are really great though.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#123 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
I will not respond to this thread..its actually insulting to me as I love rpgs of all forms..both are great and until you provide a poll with that option ..this thread is a failure.. you can love both subgenres equally.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#124 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

jhcho2
I'm sure you can win all turn based battles by simply mashing the Attack button until you win amirite?
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#125 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Love em both

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#126 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Matter of taste. To me WRPGs are tough to stay interested in especially if there is a lot of backtracking which pretty much means forced grinding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

The ability to drive the plot doesn't make it better. Choose your own adventure novels aren't more viable than novels without that ... novelty.

but you leave in immortal and hellish and you have a game that uses the amnesia plot and does it better than any other game out there and still offers the player freedom of choice even as to change character class mid game depending on which of the immortal's histories the player wants the character to recall. There is a reason why Planescape is considered by many to be one of the best stories in gaming
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts

I think both are pretty neutral overall. WRpgs have a lot of lore to them but too bad the characters are soo bland and boring to make anything matter, shame. The are really no good character growth and development in wrpgs which is a challage that needs totackled. Both tuype of rpgs suffer from recycled gameplay from superior games of the past. JRpgs relly on lv grinding and overpowered equipment, while Wrpgs relly on balancing stats and skill trees. WRpgs are mostly always mediaval while JRpgs are mostly anime fantasy, but of course there are games of both genre that don't follow the same formula.

Jrpgs may have better characters and personalities in their games but the backstory is almost the same, kill evil lookind doods with crazy hair and eccentric personality to save the kigdom or planet from evil. It's always too extreme, good guy are overly angelic while bad guys are in the opposite extreme lol.

Overall though I enjoy both types of games a lot. I'm always looking for the next good rpg, I don't get caught up in this silly sw arguement of pitting a game against another.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]

smerlus

but you leave in immortal and hellish and you have a game that uses the amnesia plot and does it better than any other game out there and still offers the player freedom of choice even as to change character class mid game depending on which of the immortal's histories the player wants the character to recall. There is a reason why Planescape is considered by many to be one of the best stories in gaming

Okay. So, why is the story so good? Why do the immortal and hellish contribute to the amnesia so much?

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

Last gen i would say JRPGs. But this gen im gonna have to say WRPGs.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 hakanakumono

I think both are pretty neutral overall. WRpgs have a lot of lore to them but too bad the characters are soo bland and boring to make anything matter, shame. The are really no good character growth and development in wrpgs which is a challage that needs totackled. Both tuype of rpgs suffer from recycled gameplay from superior games of the past. JRpgs relly on lv grinding and overpowered equipment, while Wrpgs relly on balancing stats and skill trees. WRpgs are mostly always mediaval while JRpgs are mostly anime fantasy, but of course there are games of both genre that don't follow the same formula.

Jrpgs may have better characters and personalities in their games but the backstory is almost the same, kill evil lookind doods with crazy hair and eccentric personality to save the kigdom or planet from evil. It's always too extreme, good guy are overly angelic while bad guys are in the opposite extreme lol.

Overall though I enjoy both types of games a lot. I'm always looking for the next good rpg, I don't get caught up in this silly sw arguement of pitting a game against another.

edo-tensei

JRPGs and Final Fantasy games always get scoffed at for their "save the world" plots. But the thing is, they wouldn't work without them. FFXII didn't have a save the world plot and it made the journey seem meager in comparison with past Final Fantasy games ... and it struggled for direction. The thing about save the world plots is that they're all pretty different and varied so they work. As long as they don't use the same one over and over and over again it works.

Samox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Samox
Member since 2004 • 890 Posts

WRPG's by far.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#133 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Both are great but I play JRPGs more.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

i personaly think the story is whats most important in RPG's and not makeing your own character so im going with JRPG

but it really depends on the game

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#135 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I prefer JRPG's, but I like WRPG's a lot too.

medicine_freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 medicine_freak

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

hakanakumono

Nope you don't. The difference is not only is he investigating his past, but he is also writing it based on my actions. It is true that "just because" I can make my story, it does not necessarily make the story better. However, in this case, the story IS better, regardless of how you create it. That's the beuty of a well made WRPG, a good story, that you could make. The best JRPGs could ever achieve, is a good story...

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

wrpg for gameplay jrpg for story

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#138 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="medicine_freak"] [QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="iowastate"][QUOTE="medicine_freak"]Oh and one more thing, for those that think JRPGs have better stories, I really beg to differ. WRPGs, especially the oldies, have stories that are head and shoulders above the JRPGs. smerlus

Ever play Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2? If not than you have a reason you can disagree.

there are more than those games that give me a reason to prefer the JPRGs to WPRGs but they are good examples for why I do.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#139 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

The JRPG Genre has gotten stail over the years. little to no innovation. And they tend to be GrindFests. Its all about the WRPG

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#140 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
I vote for WRPGs.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

JRPGs. Memorable story line,memorable characters, more inovative gameplay and combat tends to be more entertaining in JRPGs. I had more fun fighting enemies in Tales of Symphonia, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts and Tales of Legendia than I did in Morrowind, Oblivion andWorld of Warcraft.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="Lionheart08"] I do not agree with you at all.iowastate

there are more than those games that give me a reason to prefer the JPRGs to WPRGs but they are good examples for why I do.

Please enlighten us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Okay. So, why is the story so good? Why do the immortal and hellish contribute to the amnesia so much?

That would be like asking someone to explain why The Godfather is such a good movie. I could possibly sum it up in about 2-3 pages but it would be much easier for me if you just played it.
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] but you leave in immortal and hellish and you have a game that uses the amnesia plot and does it better than any other game out there and still offers the player freedom of choice even as to change character class mid game depending on which of the immortal's histories the player wants the character to recall. There is a reason why Planescape is considered by many to be one of the best stories in gamingsmerlus

That would be like asking someone to explain why The Godfather is such a good movie. I could possibly sum it up in about 2-3 pages but it would be much easier for me if you just played it.

Exactly.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#145 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

WRPG. I prefer a more actiony style compared to what more JRPG's offer. Which generally seem to be random battles and turnbased combat.

Oh, and the Godfather is an overrated movie.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#146 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

JRPGs of course, just release them on the PS3 and things will change.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
Both are great when I wanna play RPG's (which is not that much ;)) But I prefer games like Fable, Mass Effect to games like FF
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#148 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
i love jrpgs they have epic stories but its all layed out for you your basically playing a movie. WRPGs are you do what you want and shape the story as you see fit...mostly, sure you have to do certain things but how you do it and when is generally up to you
JTH_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#149 JTH_22
Member since 2005 • 1438 Posts

I prefer WRPG's normally but I like some JRPG's like FF and Lost Odyssey.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
I think WRPGs have evolved more this gen while JRPGs are pretty much like they've always been with better graphics. KOTOR, Demons Souls, Mass Effect, The Witcher are all amazing games.