• 113 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll JRPG or WRPG - which do you prefer? (75 votes)

JRPG (Japanese Role Playing Game) 45%
WRPG (Western Role Playing Game) 55%

In general, I noticed that a lot of WRPGs focus more on graphics, story, characters, writing etc, while JRPGs have more of a focus on gameplay mechanics and battle systems. That's just been my general observation. So for me, I like JRPGs more. When I think of a game like Cyberpunk, I think of other CDPR games like Witcher 3 where the combat sucks lol. But give me Nier Automata, and I'll take that any day, gameplay-wise. I guess it really depends on what you're in the mood for. Generally, JRPG tends to have more fun battle systems for me.

How about you, SW? JRPG or WRPG - which do you prefer?

• 
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

By that do you mean JRPG/WRPG as genres or simply RPG’s made in the west vs RPG’s made in Japan?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

jrpg's are more like adventure games, I tend to play rpg's for the roleplaying part, so in that sense I prefer wrpg's. Before persona 5 I dont even remember the last jrpg I actually finished

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45060 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

By that do you mean JRPG/WRPG as genres or simply RPG’s made in the west vs RPG’s made in Japan?

Technically speaking, I believe it is where it was made, but since they tend to have a commonality among them, they've become their own genre so to speak.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Say it's the other way around. Play something like Underrail, or a lot of the CRPG's, their depth blasts JRPG's out the water.

To answer the question, WRPG. But, I do like stuff like the Trails Of Heroes and the YS series. And have a massive shit ton of them bought on Steam largely untouched.

This was the biggest turnoff, worst RPG I've ever played.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Back in the day, favored JRPGs big time. These days, just depends.

Like wood said, if I'm in it for actual role playing, WRPG it is.

Don't care for the debate on defining JRPG. Just gonna say Soulsborne/Nioh are the main attraction for me these days. ARPGs from Japan, basically action adventure games with stats.

Definitely don't care for the typical JRPG anymore.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
@uninspiredcup said:

@SolidGame_basic: Say it's the other way around. Play something like Underrail, or a lot of the CRPG's, their depth blasts JRPG's out the water.

Oh yeah, that too.

These shallow af action adventure style WRPGs are hardly a good representation of the sub genre. Can really dig into some CRPGs.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

WRPG when I want to play my way.

JRPG when I want to be a teenager saving the world with fairy dust and happiness.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@uninspiredcup: 😮 FF8 is one of my favorites!! But has probably aged like hell lol. I probably wouldn't be able to play it now. FF7 Remake though, that was amazing. As for CRPG, does Divinity count? Those games have great battle systems, but not so great anything else lol. What about Final Fantasy Tactics? That was pretty good back in the day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup

@SolidGame_basic said:

@uninspiredcup: 😮 FF8 is one of my favorites!! But has probably aged like hell lol. I probably wouldn't be able to play it now. FF7 Remake though, that was amazing. As for CRPG, does Divinity count? Those games have great battle systems, but not so great anything else lol. What about Final Fantasy Tactics? That was pretty good back in the day.

Most of em' yea. The original were aping Diablo but had elements from Ultima to make them more distinct than the typical clone. Divinity 2 was basically a console game. And it wasn't until Kickstarter with Original Sin that they really got to make the game, they originally envisioned.

Can't comment on Final Fantasy: Tactics, though I see people fapping to it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner

FFT is dope, way better gameplay than most FF games. Decent story too from what I remember.

Kinda falls into different territory though, being a tactical rpg and all.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

FFT is dope, way better gameplay than most FF games. Decent story too from what I remember.

Kinda falls into different territory though, being a tactical rpg and all.

According to wikipedia:

... a JRPG is defined as a franchise which: (1) is considered a role-playing game by reliable sources and was made in Japan or (2) made in another country, but otherwise the franchise would be difficult to differentiate from a JRPG due to having common traits found in JRPGs such as: anime/manga character designs, RPG elements, fantasy setting and widely considered as being inspired or influenced by a JRPG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Japanese_role-playing_game_franchises

I consider FFT a JRPG along the lines of definition two. And since wikipedia is the source of all knowledge, and is the reason I graduated college, I agree 😄

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: So Fire Emblem is JRPG too then. I adored Fire Emblem before it was about teenagers saving the world with fairy dust and happiness.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

WRPG, although I feel compelled to note some of my favorite games are JRPGs (Chrono Tigger, P4G)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

I mean, it is a tactical rpg, made in Japan. Why not?

Yeah, no right or wrong about it. Why I said earlier, just don't care for that old debate.

Just a mess of acronyms either way. arpg, crpg, srpg, trpg, wrpg, jrpg, blah. The best part being, a lot of them have nothing to do with role playing lol. Have stats? Can level up? RPG confirmed. Except for when it's not.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

JRPGs used to be good. FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, Chrono Trigger, Shining Force 1 & 2, etc. But once western RPGs started coming out... games like Morrowind, Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, it was over for JRPGs for me. It was about that time JRPGs started getting a little too "hentai" for me. The protagonists of JRPGs are almost entirely unrelatable to me. Teenager protagonist, young school girl sidekicks, and swords that weight as much as a motorcycle just don't do it anymore.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic:

I mean, it is a tactical rpg, made in Japan. Why not?

Yeah, no right or wrong about it. Why I said earlier, just don't care for that old debate.

Just a mess of acronyms either way. arpg, crpg, srpg, trpg, wrpg, jrpg, blah. The best part being, a lot of them have nothing to do with role playing lol. Have stats? Can level up? RPG confirmed. Except for when it's not.

but you can CHOOSE which waifu you bring to the adventure with you!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner

😂

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

WRPG, although I feel compelled to note some of my favorite games are JRPGs (Chrono Tigger, P4G)

I am definitely interested in reading your opinion about Persona 5 Royal when you finally get to it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: gotta finish CP2077, then return to bloodborne, then play Pathfinder Kingmaker. THEN it will either be P5 or Pillars of Eternity 2 depending on my mood :-p

But it'll happen. P4G sealed the deal

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#21  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

Love both, but my favorite franchises are JRPG, so there goes my vote. The biggest difference i see between both, is that JRPG tend to be a more straightforward story drive game meanwhile WRPG are more like make your own adventure kind of games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic

@adsparky said:

Love both, but my favorite franchises are JRPG, so there goes my vote. The biggest difference i see between both, is that JRPG tend to be a more straightforward story drive game meanwhile WRPG are more like make your own adventure kind of games.

lmao, this is the first time I'm reading that JRPG's have a straightforward story 😄

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38689 Posts

I don't remember the last time i played a good jrpg, so the answer is obvious.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

JRPG solely because of the Souls series. If you exclude them, then WRPG’s win.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

WRPGs, as long as we're talking about CRPGs. It's absurd to me that shooters with light RPG elements like Fallout 4 and Mass Effect are considered RPG's these days.

Do love me some "Tales of" series though, and Star Ocean second story remains one of my all time favorites. Till the End of Time could've been almost as good if it weren't so flawed; love to see a remake of that one with the rough edges trimmed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

The following is my opinion and should not be taken as an attack on your person nor should it negatively affect what you like.

JRPGs in the context of the core formula is simply the worse. OP mentions that WRPGs are more focused on story and JRPGs are focused on gameplay, that would be true if you ignore games like FFVII-FFXIV, Dragon Quest (if the latest is anything to go by), Tales of ----, Elder Scrolls, Divinity etc. Most games that are classified as JRPGs are heavily focused on the story. Then you have moments like

Which ask absolutely useless questions. I don't even know why that shit exists to begin with. Couple this by the absolutely nonsensical character designs, in that characters rarely match their supposed profession especially females. Females are such trash in these games. They love their little girl characters and half naked female solider/warrior/princess/ninja etc. Old people are always short. Short and fat for males. Short and hunched over for females. Its like these fools never seen old people in their life. Don't get me started on the actual storytelling and pacing. 🙄

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

another easy xbox win

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

They both actually suck.

If game is RPG, it has bad gameplay which is pretty much norm. JRPG suck more due to they are wayy too animu.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

While there are definitely some WRPG’s that I absolutely love my preference definitely lies in the JRPG category on the whole in general.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: lol, I love Sylvando and Rab. I guess I don't really analyze it to that level. There are some worthwhile JRPG stories, but there are also some really tropey ones where my brain just shuts off. Like, the one where the true bad guy is the guy you have to fight after you fought the first true 8 bad guys lol.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I like them both... I really enjoy both Fallout and Souls series.

My roots are in old school JRPGs back when they were just called RPGs... like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Dragon Warrior, and Shining in the Darkness. I still play a Phantasy Star yearly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: lol, I love Sylvando and Rab. I guess I don't really analyze it to that level. There are some worthwhile JRPG stories, but there are also some really tropey ones where my brain just shuts off. Like, the one where the true bad guy is the guy you have to fight after you fought the first true 8 bad guys lol.

The analyzing is not intentional. I don't go into these games with much anticipation but when I see the same patterns from the last game I played but from a different studio, these things slap me in my face. Sylvando while tropey, has better dialogue than all the other characters. Which is baffling. There are a lot of elements in these JRPGs favor but there is also some fundamental elements that are strongly against it in my view, that being character design, pacing and storytelling.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

Let me list recent RPGs I enjoyed.

JRPGs: the Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh, Nier Automata, P5, DQ11,Ys VIII, MHW, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Fire Emblem Three Houses, FF14, FF7R, Yakuza: Like a Dragon

WRPGs: Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3 (to some extent, not entirely because the combat sucks), Undertale

Well, it seems obvious which I like more in terms of quality, variety, and originality.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Were deadlocked JRPG for me I don't love wrpgs i kinda just waste some time in them

JRPG got FF Star Ocean Fire emblem earthbound mario rpg chrono trigger an all the other good stuff

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

They both actually suck.

If game is RPG, it has bad gameplay which is pretty much norm. JRPG suck more due to they are wayy too animu.

The definitive answer.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

WRPGs. There are very few JRPGs that I like, let alone tolerate.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#38 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

No dudebro!!

JAPANIMEEEEEE GOOOOOOOOOOO

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@howmakewood said:

but you can CHOOSE which waifu you bring to the adventure with you!

You joke but this girl is supposed to be ~18. 😐

They try to validate their pedophilia by claiming she was older and a curse/spell that was extracting her magical powers reduced her physical age but she is really an adult just now in a child's body. 😑

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eoten

@enzyme36 said:

My roots are in old school JRPGs back when they were just called RPGs... like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Dragon Warrior, and Shining in the Darkness. I still play a Phantasy Star yearly.

Those were some great titles. Shining force still remains one of my favorite retro RPGs of all time (Shining Force II being my favorite of the series). I've always say they should make a fourth. The third one didn't do so well because it was plagued by being on the Saturn which was pretty much a DOA console. But now that I think about it, if they did make a new one they'd probably redo the combat system, and go all hentai/anime with the characters and that's just not how I want to remember the series.

I tried Phantasy Star Online 2 a couple months back. Frankly the awkward way females walked in that game, and how everyone looked like a 10 year old anime school girl I just couldn't get into it.

For retro JRPGs I actually liked, I think it's best they remain dead, and not be tainted by the somewhat pedophilic way the genre has gone since then.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

@Pedro: lol, paying homage to an European fairy tale in a humorous manner seems to mean something different to someone😑

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

The term WRPG and JRPG really needs to die out.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Eoten

@AcidTango said:

The term WRPG and JRPG really needs to die out.

I like the differentiation. It lets me know if an RPG will have some potential, or be utter crap.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Pedro said:

You joke but this girl is supposed to be ~18. 😐

They try to validate their pedophilia by claiming she was older and a curse/spell that was extracting her magical powers reduced her physical age but she is really an adult just now in a child's body. 😑

The good thing about Dragonball Z is the worst they can accuse of is being gay or a closet gay.

Which is socially acceptable.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro: lol, you need to play the game more. there's a reason why she's that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Given where we are, this will probably be a very lopsided poll. Personally speaking I strongly prefer Japanese RPGs over the Western variety. WRPGs tend to be unimaginative with dull characters. And contrary to popular belief, they often are just as cliched as their Eastern counterparts.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: lol, you need to play the game more. there's a reason why she's that way.

They already explained why she is the way she is. They can come up with an alternate explanation and it still would not change anything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup

@briguyb13 said:

Given where we are, this will probably be a very lopsided poll. Personally speaking I strongly prefer Japanese RPGs over the Western variety. WRPGs tend to be unimaginative with dull characters. And contrary to popular belief, they often are just as cliched as their Eastern counterparts.

Yea. Stuff like Trail Of Heroes is almost like a Disney adventure tonally, while stuff like Mass Effect is like a pretentious funeral parlor with neon lights.

But put that more down to Bioware than "The West". Obsidian when on point can come up with awesome characters.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@eoten said:
@enzyme36 said:

Those were some great titles. Shining force still remains one of my favorite retro RPGs of all time (Shining Force II being my favorite of the series). I've always say they should make a fourth. The third one didn't do so well because it was plagued by being on the Saturn which was pretty much a DOA console. But now that I think about it, if they did make a new one they'd probably redo the combat system, and go all hentai/anime with the characters and that's just not how I want to remember the series.

I tried Phantasy Star Online 2 a couple months back. Frankly the awkward way females walked in that game, and how everyone looked like a 10 year old anime school girl I just couldn't get into it.

For retro JRPGs I actually liked, I think it's best they remain dead, and not be tainted by the somewhat pedophilic way the genre has gone since then.

Nice yeah these are classics... and every year for E3 I say maybe this is the year we finally get a true Phantasy Star 5. But I agree with you, if you actually think about it, it would be hard to not turn this into anime trash with gotcha mechanics and paid boosts. It is probably better they remain preserved in the past.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

I like both and it depends on my mood.