John Romero is making a new game. Okay, cool. It's a strategy game published by Paradox. Wait, what?!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Source: PC Gamer.

And yes, it's THE John "I'm about to make you my b****" Romero and his wife Brenda. I've checked on their official website.

Well, this is unexpected. Always thought of him as a FPS/Action guy. Good luck to him and his team, I guess.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Nice, awesome. Strategy games are very stale rtn. We need more games in it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Well, I'm not going to say I am not interested...but I am also not going to say I am interested :P

Romero is a very interesting guy; I am not sure how he remains so present in the game industry, yet offers so little tangible product. Romero's last shipped product was, what? Daiktatana? And that seemed like quite a failure commercially and critically, not to mention that was about 20 years ago.

*sigh* I don't know. I'd like this to be a big deal, Romero is sort of a symbol from the glory days of yesteryear--guys like John Romero, John Carmack, Will Wright, Warren Spector, Ken Levine, Richard Garriot, and Peter Molyneux--they all bring back fond memories when I hear their names. Then I remember that recent history has shown they either have failed or have not done a whole lot.

I am going to try and not be a cynical bastard about this :D

*correction: Romero has made a mobile game, and a retro "Taco truck shoot n scoot" side-scroller game.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I'm guessing that FPS called Blackroom they wanted to make a few years back didn't work out even though they met their intial kickstarter goal in a few days they took it down because they wanted at least a working prototype which was respectable since they could've easily made off with the money like all the others.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
Romero is a very interesting guy; I am not sure how he remains so present in the game industry, yet offers so little tangible product. Romero's last shipped product was, what? Daiktatana?

According to Wikipedia, he's been steadily employed and has worked on around two-dozen games since Daikatana was released in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Romero?oldformat=true#Games

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@dzimm said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
Romero is a very interesting guy; I am not sure how he remains so present in the game industry, yet offers so little tangible product. Romero's last shipped product was, what? Daiktatana?

According to Wikipedia, he's been steadily employed and has worked on around two-dozen games since Daikatana was released in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Romero?oldformat=true#Games

I meant as a lead on major product.

He has been involved in making mobile games for quite some time to pay the bills.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Whoa....you mean creative minds go in all sorts of directions?!?!?

No wai!!!!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

good news, I like strategy games

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@that_old_guy said:

Whoa....you mean creative minds go in all sorts of directions?!?!?

No wai!!!!

Just didn't think it was his wheelhouse. I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised - but not expecting it.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

If you want to read a fantastic, informative, and fun book about Romero, Carmack, American McGee and the early days of ID and online gaming, check out Masters of Doom by David Kushner.

It’s a fun book, full of history about all kinds of gaming company’s and stuff, and a great read. I read it as part of my first year when I was going to school for simulation and game design, and went through it in a few days and it was so good I read it again a few years ago for fun.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Romero is pretty underrated. He gets a lot of shit for Daikatana, which somehow often overshadows his pioneering work in creating games like Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake. He was one of the most influential game designers of the last several decades.

He's also a pretty cool insider source on gaming history. For example, the history of Squaresoft, whose lead programmer Nasir Gebelli was previously an Apple II dev who was a big inspiration for Romero and id Software, and later became a friend of John and Brenda.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@evilross said:

If you want to read a fantastic, informative, and fun book about Romero, Carmack, American McGee and the early days of ID and online gaming, check out Masters of Doom by David Kushner.

It’s a fun book, full of history about all kinds of gaming company’s and stuff, and a great read. I read it as part of my first year when I was going to school for simulation and game design, and went through it in a few days and it was so good I read it again a few years ago for fun.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Great. Can't wait for it to fade into obscurity and never be heard of again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

I admire his silky hair. Looks vastly superior to most womans.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@madrocketeer said:

And yes, it's THE John "I'm about to make you my b****" Romero and his wife Brenda. I've checked on their official website.

Well, this is unexpected. Always thought of him as a FPS/Action guy. Good luck to him and his team, I guess.

Who?

But good for him, but Paradox is not known for its massive budget games and they always DLC their games worse than EA with The Sims.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

May be good, may be crap. I hope it's good. Best of luck to him.

@Jacanuk said:
@madrocketeer said:

Who?

But good for him, but Paradox is not known for its massive budget games and they always DLC their games worse than EA with The Sims.

John Romero and John Carmack essentially invented the first person shooter and started iD (Wofenstein 3D, Doom, Quake etc.)