regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/playstation-staff-angry-about-jim-ryan-email-on-abortion-rights

Basically, Ryan on the abortion issue after the leaked Roe v Wade Supreme court decision said to "respect the differences of opinion" regarding abortion. Which I think is a good thing to say, and yet those who want unrestricted abortion access are fuming.

Without getting into the abortion debate, I personally I agree with this approach by Ryan

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

This was already posted here bud

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 regnaston

@Chutebox said:

I didn't see it.. is it locked or just not on the first page (or am I blind LOL)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46271 Posts

James "silly boy" Ryan

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Wimpy response

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Those employees should take this issue up with HR and management, instead of leaking internal emails to the press... My biggest issue with this is if Jim Ryan stated he was pro-choice, the email doesn't get leaked. But because he's asking employees to respect differences of opinion, we need Jim Ryan canceled.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I really do not see how is this is even relevant to gaming.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@onesiphorus: Same.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2065 Posts

Move to political gamers maybe?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@regnaston: Those angry employees need to stop being so f**king woke.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

The Wokeing Dead. lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@dabear said:

You mean they shouldn't voice their opinion on issues unless they agree?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@regnaston said:
@Chutebox said:

I didn't see it.. is it locked or just not on the first page (or am I blind LOL)

Not sure if it's locked, but it didn't get many replies.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#15 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Please fire ol lying Ryan Sony.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

Well they wouldn't have a problem with Jim Ryan if his stance was the same as theirs. We don't even know if he's pro-life or pro-choice. We just know he didn't 100% align with the leakers opinion on the matter. This is the pickle that "woke" culture puts everyone in.

I'm not one of those anti cancel culture folks. People have gotten away with terrible behavior for far too long. But stiff like this. Employees leaking internal emails because they don't like the position their boss is taking, is childish and spineless. Go to HR, send Jim an email, talk to a manager. Don't anomalously leak some shit to the press, riling up the hate mobs on the internet...

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Commenting on hot button political topics at the workplace is usually a recipe for chaos.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

This may need to be moved to PG.

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger (keyboard finger) and nobody wants that here. lol :P

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

sony, what a shitty company being so political. JR should focus on making more movie games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

Well they wouldn't have a problem with Jim Ryan if his stance was the same as theirs. We don't even know if he's pro-life or pro-choice. We just know he didn't 100% align with the leakers opinion on the matter. This is the pickle that "woke" culture puts everyone in.

I'm not one of those anti cancel culture folks. People have gotten away with terrible behavior for far too long. But stiff like this. Employees leaking internal emails because they don't like the position their boss is taking, is childish and spineless. Go to HR, send Jim an email, talk to a manager. Don't anomalously leak some shit to the press, riling up the hate mobs on the internet...

You are talking about "woke" culture putting everyone who doesn't align with them in a bind when the reality is that this is literally a common practice in human society across all groups. It is so bizarre that the folks who cry "woke" literally participate in the same behavior. 😂

If Jim posted an email to all of his employees it is not much a private matter but stance that he is positioning the company. A "leak" is not required for that stance to become public. He has a stance and people disagree. It feels as though folks disagreeing with anything someone states or post is always the focal point. It is as if we previously lived in a world in which everyone agreed until the last 8 years.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor

Oh it's a JS leak, this is more than likely a nothing burger. JS trying his hardest to stay relevant by cooking up some controversy.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts
@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

No. Politics should not exist in the workplace. Half the country disagrees with abortion in at least some level, and abortion is a very polarizing issue. Talking about it in a workplace forum creates a hostile work environment and is actually a form of harassment in most states.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Good call on Jim not picking a side. If he had publicly supported one side he would have had pissed off employees and consumers regardless of which side it was. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@dabear said:
@Pedro said:
@dabear said:

No. Politics should not exist in the workplace. Half the country disagrees with abortion in at least some level, and abortion is a very polarizing issue. Talking about it in a workplace forum creates a hostile work environment and is actually a form of harassment in most states.

exactly, what a shitty boss JR is. Keep this stuff to himself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

You are talking about "woke" culture putting everyone who doesn't align with them in a bind when the reality is that this is literally a common practice in human society across all groups. It is so bizarre that the folks who cry "woke" literally participate in the same behavior. 😂

If Jim posted an email to all of his employees it is not much a private matter but stance that he is positioning the company. A "leak" is not required for that stance to become public. He has a stance and people disagree. It feels as though folks disagreeing with anything someone states or post is always the focal point. It is as if we previously lived in a world in which everyone agreed until the last 8 years.

Oh come on... You know DAMN WELL that this social media justice stuff is a newer thing. Don't like something, post about it on twitter. Record someone making an ass of themself, post it on YouTube. Etc... I'm not a conservative, and don't agree with 90% of the stuff happening recently is actually "canceling" people. But this email leak and what was said by Jim Ryan is 100% an employee that is pro-choice looking to gain some clout. In fact, the leak is ironically 100% what Jim Ryan was talking about in the email. An employee chose not to respect Jim Ryans stance on the subject, and leaked it to the press. Why would an employee do that? They are going for Jim's head. Is that not an attempt to "cancel" Jim Ryan? Or are they trying to get their 5 minutes of internet fame? If not, what is it?

The story and all of the information surrounding it refers to this as a leak, since it was an internal email. And actually, leaking the email could result in disciplinary action or termination of employment. But we all know how that will be spun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@dabear said:

He didn't even express his opinion on the matter. He just told his employees to, "respect the differences of opinion," and "Respect does not equal agreement. But it is fundamental to who we are as a company and as a valued global brand." Sure, we can speculate that Jim is pro-life, but he never states or expresses that opinion. I think the email was an attempt to squash any contention among employees over the SCOTUS leak. But all Jim did was make it worse... He shouldn't have sent the email. Somebody with more HR training and writing skills should have written a memo if PlayStation thought it was 100% necessary to say something. This did more harm than good

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

I don't have an issue with what he said, it's the fact that he said it.

You have to be aware of your position and the things you shouldnt say.

It was going to start a fire no matter WHAT he said. Just don't, Jim.

He then went on to talk about cats which was just tone deaf

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

I don't like Jim Ryan anyway. He really should have been like the other gaming companies and just not said anything, but he has an innate ability to give an uninformed opinion on everything and stirring up hornets nests. Like how he said the middle east didn't have games before Playstation. I know this wasn't meant to be a public statement, but this is a serious issue. The reason people are mad is because he strictly forbade the other Sony studios from commenting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@girlusocrazy: I CLEARLY said social media justice.

The mobs a bigger, access is easier, and reach is much further.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Imagine being such an extremist in your ideology that someone saying "respect differences of opinion" is seen as being radical and offensive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@goldenelementxl said:

Oh come on... You know DAMN WELL that this social media justice stuff is a newer thing. Don't like something, post about it on twitter. Record someone making an ass of themself, post it on YouTube. Etc... I'm not a conservative, and don't agree with 90% of the stuff happening recently is actually "canceling" people. But this email leak and what was said by Jim Ryan is 100% an employee that is pro-choice looking to gain some clout. In fact, the leak is ironically 100% what Jim Ryan was talking about in the email. An employee chose not to respect Jim Ryans stance on the subject, and leaked it to the press. Why would an employee do that? They are going for Jim's head. Is that not an attempt to "cancel" Jim Ryan? Or are they trying to get their 5 minutes of internet fame? If not, what is it?

The story and all of the information surrounding it refers to this as a leak, since it was an internal email. And actually, leaking the email could result in disciplinary action or termination of employment. But we all know how that will be spun.

Social media justice? You mean that only one group of people take to the social media platform and the rest is silent? Is that what you are trying to imply? Everything on social media is standard human behavior, that has been the same since our existence. The platform doesn't create "new" behavior it just allows for existing behavior to be transmitted faster. Please refer to the wealth of documented human history as reference.

Making Jim's views public is just that, making his views public. Would this be getting this much attention if the views each party were flipped or is it purely because the current alignment of the views that is sparking "outrage"? Is his views private if he shared it via email with employees? How is it disrespecting his views? How is an anonymous employee getting 5 minutes of fame?

This is playing out like every other fake outrage and each side is doing what they do best.😅

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@dabear said:

The reason we have this level of division is because of the stupidity behind the culture of not discussing politics. This leads people to be more extreme, isolated and resistant to meaningful discussion.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@goldenelementxl said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@dabear said:

He didn't even express his opinion on the matter. He just told his employees to, "respect the differences of opinion," and "Respect does not equal agreement. But it is fundamental to who we are as a company and as a valued global brand." Sure, we can speculate that Jim is pro-life, but he never states or expresses that opinion. I think the email was an attempt to squash any contention among employees over the SCOTUS leak. But all Jim did was make it worse... He shouldn't have sent the email. Somebody with more HR training and writing skills should have written a memo if PlayStation thought it was 100% necessary to say something. This did more harm than good

people don't get it, but in the work place, just keep your political thoughts to yourself. I myself am pro life. I don't like abortions, its a gross topic for me, but end of the day you also got to respect the peoples own choice. So i'm divided on it. But one thing you don't do is to bring this stuff up in the workplace, especially something thats a political bomb like this is and especially not now in this climate.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 regnaston

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't like Jim Ryan anyway. He really should have been like the other gaming companies and just not said anything, but he has an innate ability to give an uninformed opinion on everything and stirring up hornets nests. Like how he said the middle east didn't have games before Playstation. I know this wasn't meant to be a public statement, but this is a serious issue. The reason people are mad is because he strict forbade the other Sony studios from commenting.

Kind of like how Bungie came out as being against what the supreme court was doing , but everyone praised that .. kind of hypocritical by the community IMO.. you can have an opinion as long as it agrees with mine.. if yours disagrees with mine, then shut your mouth.. if you are not taking sides (like Jim Ryan did) then you are also my enemy

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro
@regnaston said:

Kind of like how Bungie came out as being against what the supreme court was doing , but everyone praised that .. kind of hypocritical by the community IMO.. you can have an opinion as long as it agrees with mine.. if yours disagrees with mine, then shut your mouth.. if you are not taking sides (like Jim Ryan did) then you are also my enemy

I don't understanding your reasoning. How is it hypocritical for "everyone" to praise Bungie and be critical of Jim?

Isn't the norm for people to be in favor of views that align and not in favor when it is misaligned? Why is any of this being treated as something unusual or new?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:

Social media justice? You mean that only one group of people take to the social media platform and the rest is silent? Is that what you are trying to imply? Everything on social media is standard human behavior, that has been the same since our existence. The platform doesn't create "new" behavior it just allows for existing behavior to be transmitted faster. Please refer to the wealth of documented human history as reference.

Making Jim's views public is just that, making his views public. Would this be getting this much attention if the views each party were flipped or is it purely because the current alignment of the views that is sparking "outrage"? Is his views private if he shared it via email with employees? How is it disrespecting his views? How is an anonymous employee getting 5 minutes of fame?

This is playing out like every other fake outrage and each side is doing what they do best.😅

No no no. I'm not saying this is a "liberal" thing like you're implying. "Both sides" get on social media and scream and yell. What's "new," is that you and I, or anyone has a platform to express whatever opinion we have. Whenever, whatever, however and to whoever on the planet. Humans have never had that ability before. You had to be famous or important to have that sort of reach.

The email being leaked is clout chasing and a "cancel" attempt. How you don't see that is beyond me. If Jim came out against the SCOTUS leak, we wouldn't hear about it unless Jim sent it to the press himself. Why? The tech industry is heavily left leaning, politically. So ANYTHING that goes against those norms, is a problem and sent directly to Jason Schreier for some reason...

It was an internal email, subject to disciplinary action is handled inappropriately. He didn't even share his views. He asked that his employees respect each others opinions... And the goofball that leaked the email is 100% basking in their internet fame right now. Until they're dealt with that is

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

This thread still open?

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 regnaston

@Pedro said:
@regnaston said:

I don't understanding your reasoning. How is it hypocritical for "everyone" to praise Bungie and be critical of Jim?

Isn't the norm for people to be in favor of views that align and not in favor when it is misaligned? Why is any of this being treated as something unusual or new?

the fact they think Jim should not have said anything (journalists included). I don't care if the average person thinks Jim shouldn't have said something or is against him...it is when journalists take sides that it becomes concerning

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fedor

@onesiphorus said:

This thread still open?

The thread is fine.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@regnaston said:

Sony's taken stances on other political issues before though. Overturning a 50 year old civil right that most people took for granted is going to be a white hot issue. Jim's email is particularly weird because he followed up the statement with a bizarre non-sequitur about owning cats and dogs. It's tone deaf. It has that "sheltered twit" energy to it. It was really better to stay mum about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@girlusocrazy said:

@goldenelementxl: So basically you hate new things

It's just the same thing people have been doing historically but with what is available today

What?!?!

It's not the same thing when people like The Quartering, Joe Rogan, Anita Sarkeesian, Tim Poole, Zoe Quinn etc can reach MILLIONS of people with a couple clicks. These people wouldn't have the voice, reach or ability 20 years ago...

Things are more chaotic, louder and more divisive because of all the additional voices, many not worthy of such power, making all this noise on topics they know little, to nothing about. And the hundreds of thousands of people that will blindly follow people for a sense of team and belonging. It's what's been going on through human history like you said, but 10000000X bigger and with no way of controlling any of it

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 regnaston

@fedor said:
@onesiphorus said:

This thread still open?

The thread is fine.

yeah .. we are not discussing the rightness or wrongness of abortion.. we are discussing reaction to Jim's email

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@girlusocrazy said:

In the end people make up their own minds and take actions individually.

No they don't. You know damn well that's not the case... People want someone to tell them what to think, make decisions for them, and make them feel like they're part of a team. It's like that in politics, sports, hell even video games. People don't use their own brains. They let tribalism dictate their opinion

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#48 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

The leaker must be pretty irrational to try to do him in because he took a neutral stance. That's weak af imo

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@regnaston said:

the fact they think Jim should not have said anything (journalists included). I don't care if the average person thinks Jim shouldn't have said something or is against him...it is when journalists take sides that it becomes concerning

Journalist are not allowed to take sides? Since when?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@girlusocrazy said:

Either way it sounds better to have this out in the open and be able to address it, rather than trying to censor it and letting it fester hidden away from others. There definitely needs to be a period of growth where collectively there is some improvement in critical thinking. But hoping people stay unaware so that doesn't ever come up is naive.

How is it better to have this out in the open? Again, Jim Ryan didn't express an opinion. Jim asked his employees to respect others opinions. At face value, that's a big nothing statement. In todays political climate, that statement is a hand grenade. People are all bent out of shape because their twitter timeline says they should be.

I'm not saying people should stay unaware. But people are getting outraged, upset, and angered by things they wouldn't care about otherwise. Jim Ryan's email was tone deaf and ignorant. But it doesn't warrant an employee leaking an internal email to the press. Or the hundreds of thousands of people being "outraged" on social media. But THAT'S the world we live in today...