Jim Ryan gives more details about PS5, says biggest features haven't been revealed yet

• 88 results
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5612 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: Quick question for you. Have Sony officially said that Backwards Compatibility will come at no extra cost? the reason I ask is what will happen to the PS NOW as free BC would make it obsolete.

I have a hunch that they are going to move onto something more similar to game pass. However, they could still keep PS NOW. A lot of people would still subscribe because they don't own the games they want to play, and it's actually a cheaper alternative than going out and buying the games they want. Well in most cases it would be at least....

I think they could still have native BC and have Playstation Now, but evolve PS Now into something a lot more similar to Game Pass. Maybe even link it together will PS+ or take the free monthly games from PS+ and attach it to that service instead.

There are a lot of possible options they can take. I would imagine SONY has taken notes on MS and MS has taken notes on SONY. Both are probably going to incorporate the things that worked for the other this generation into their own plans next gen.

I don't think SONY won't at least try to compete with Game Pass and the Early Access program.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 WitIsWisdom
@Pedro said:
@jahnee said:
Each purchase will come with one controller and a first-party game too, which seems like a reasonable deal.

You lost me at this line.

Yeah, that's the line that lost me as well, for several different reasons.

Not only was it cheesy as hell, but there is no way they will be selling the PS5 at $399 with a 1st party game and a more expensive controller (assuming a more premium controller with haptic feedback is more expensive.. which I would say is a given) unless perhaps it's an indie or digital download. That would mean (assuming the controller is $70 and the game is $60) that they would be selling the console for a maximum of $230. If this is to be taken seriously they should have said it will be at least $499

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#53 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 37082 Posts

Lmao this guys a tool

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 29532 Posts

@WitIsWisdom:

Wait you have to actually download the game to be able to play it? The game is just to verify that you own it?

Oh lol that's not BC what so ever,people are downloading a damn version of the game that runs on Xbox one,even if the game is the same exact game,if you can't run the game off the disc or install it from the disc that is not BC at all.

Even that you can play the game,you need to download it,hell if you don't have internet then what?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24899 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: How would BC make PS Now obsolete? Did everybody who has PS Now just inherit every ps2/3 and 4 game that's on Now?!? Come on troll, do better, try harder, this weak shit ain't gonna work no more.

Was I asking you my whingy little cow? and I asked a legitimate question, but you run in with troll this & troll that. You're a Wombat.

You went from vfighter to vcryer lol.

I agree with @vfighter. PS Now is just a service, like Netflix or Spotify or any other streaming service. Sony has an incentive to make PS5 backwards compatible with PS4. The PS4 is a beast of a system with a huge library. There are still games coming out for it, and games that people still haven't played yet. If you make the PS5 backwards compatible, it will get people to switch over faster. PS Now lets you stream only certain games. Not all games stay on the platform either.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 10781 Posts

Day one, I'm ready, bring it.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7269 Posts

@tormentos said:

@WitIsWisdom:

Wait you have to actually download the game to be able to play it? The game is just to verify that you own it?

Oh lol that's not BC what so ever,people are downloading a damn version of the game that runs on Xbox one,even if the game is the same exact game,if you can't run the game off the disc or install it from the disc that is not BC at all.

Even that you can play the game,you need to download it,hell if you don't have internet then what?

Stick to scrabble and jigsaws

Or perhaps go outside and climb a tree

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 29532 Posts

@poptart:

So you assume that 100% of the people who buy a console has internet?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:
@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: How would BC make PS Now obsolete? Did everybody who has PS Now just inherit every ps2/3 and 4 game that's on Now?!? Come on troll, do better, try harder, this weak shit ain't gonna work no more.

Was I asking you my whingy little cow? and I asked a legitimate question, but you run in with troll this & troll that. You're a Wombat.

I agree with @vfighter. PS Now is just a service, like Netflix or Spotify or any other streaming service. Sony has an incentive to make PS5 backwards compatible with PS4. The PS4 is a beast of a system with a huge library. There are still games coming out for it, and games that people still haven't played yet. If you make the PS5 backwards compatible, it will get people to switch over faster. PS Now lets you stream only certain games. Not all games stay on the platform either.

I'll also add more to this conversation. PS3 had the "Cells" which made it impossible to have PS4 BC from the start. PS Now is indeed a Netflix wannabe gaming service that's meant to use on PC for the most parts. PS4 doesn't have the Cells and as such, PS5 shouldn't have no problem adding BC and from most of the source links, it's pretty much PS5 will include BC since there's high demands for it.

And no, I'm not shilling for Sony's PS5, I'm just stating like it is.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 13629 Posts

Not much detail was offered that we didn't already know.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 1417 Posts

@davillain-: How is it not worth the purchase when the console will most likely be sold for a loss?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@tormentos said:

@WitIsWisdom:

Yeah man... you didn't know that? You can't even play the games without an internet connection or downloading the entire thing to your HD. The disc is just proof that you own the game.. no more, no less. There is 0% BC on the Xbox One. I'm not really sure what I would call it, but it's sure as hell not backwards compatibility. It's more like owning a key to getting in your front door. Especially since you can only play like a quarter of the library like this.

If this is what they are both doing next gen and calling it bc I will be pretty dissapointed. (not a deal breaker to buy the consoles... but still). That would certainly explain how they are going to get around the whole cell architecture thing though.. I just hope they came up with a different way somehow.

That is simply allowing you to download the game off of their servers. That is not BC.

That has been my argument since it was first introduced.

I am hoping that both next gen consoles have REAL backward compatibility so I can play my old games straight from the disc. People have questioned in the past what you do if there are updates to the game or patches... well, that's understandable to get the game running to its last stable and final build (since that obviously hasn't been on a lot of games day one for a long time), but installing the entire game (along with all that) is a different story all together.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2870 Posts

Oh I know the biggest feature: PS5 won't have any game control input, only output as heir games don't need it anyways.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 10502 Posts

@i_p_daily: I dont play PS Now to play the games I already own. Same reason I dont pay for Netflix to watch movies I already own. PS Now is not BC. It was not marketed as such. BC requires you to own the game. PS Now does not. Is anyone on here really using PS Now to play their old games?

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 14006 Posts

@davillain- said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:
@vfighter said:

I'll also add more to this conversation. PS3 had the "Cells" which made it impossible to have PS4 BC from the start. PS Now is indeed a Netflix wannabe gaming service that's meant to use on PC for the most parts. PS4 doesn't have the Cells and as such, PS5 shouldn't have no problem adding BC and from most of the source links, it's pretty much PS5 will include BC since there's high demands for it.

And no, I'm not shilling for Sony's PS5, I'm just stating like it is.

Geez I asked a simple question and not one of you could give a simple answer.

Has Sony officially announced that all PS4 games will be playable on the PS5 free of charge???

If you cant answer the question then don't respond.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 I_P_Daily

@joshrmeyer: Has Sony officially announced that all PS4 games will be playable on PS5 for free???

Avatar image for deactivated-5e20304971dd5
deactivated-5e20304971dd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5e20304971dd5
Member since 2020 • 67 Posts

@i_p_daily: No they haven't. Cerny said it will have BC, but not if it's free. I mean obviously it will be free, Sony would be crazy not to make it free.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 I_P_Daily

@xfighter said:

@i_p_daily: No they haven't. Cerny said it will have BC, but not if it's free. I mean obviously it will be free, Sony would be crazy not to make it free.

Interesting how they announced BC but not whether if it was free or not, very strange. Don't forget Sony's arrogance with the PS3, and MS with the XB1, so its possible for these companies to try and pinch every dollar they can and think they can get away with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e20304971dd5
deactivated-5e20304971dd5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5e20304971dd5
Member since 2020 • 67 Posts

@i_p_daily: True, but Sony is aware that the start of a gen is most important. They might be more arrogant once they know they are already winning, like this gen and their stance on cross-play, but not in the beginning. Sony and Microsoft learned their lessons last two generations, and they won't make that same mistake again. Both of them will try to take as many consumer friendly actions as possible.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#70 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36585 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@xfighter said:

Interesting how they announced BC but not whether if it was free or not, very strange. Don't forget Sony's arrogance with the PS3, and MS with the XB1, so its possible for these companies to try and pinch every dollar they can and think they can get away with it.

I think its extreme grasping of straws to think that it would not be a built in no additional cost feature. Are we going to pretend that outside of the PS4, BC was standard for PlayStation?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28449 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-09-sonys-jim-ryan-playstation-5s-bigger-differences-have-yet-to-be-announced

So far the details released about the upcoming device have been largely incremental improvements on the PlayStation 4's technology, such as 8K support and USB-C powered controllers with 'adaptive triggers.'

There have also been efforts to assure a smooth transition for PS4 owners, such as backwards compatibility, and to calm retail fears of a digital-only console, with Sony stating PlayStation 5 will use 100GB optical discs.

Perhaps the most exciting feature announced is the replacement of the hard drive with a solid-state drive, which will result in much faster loading times.

In an interview with Business Insider Japan, translated by Gematsu, Ryan promised there was a lot more to come and that Sony is all too aware its next console needs major selling points to encourage people to upgrade from the PS4.

"Each time a new console is released, the processor and graphics improve," he said. "Those are enticing of course, but we need to have special appeals as well. We have already confirmed the use of an solid-state drive. Having load times that are next to nothing is a major change.

"3D audio and the haptic feedback support of the controller are also things that, when you try them, you will be surprised at how big a change they are. Even just playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PlayStation 5 controller is a completely different experience. While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control and play using the adaptive triggers.

"But you know. There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The 'bigger differences' have yet to be announced."

Ryan was also drawn into a discussion about the Japanese launch. While he could not comment on timings or launch markets, he acknowledged that the fact Sony's home market had to wait an additional three months for the PlayStation 4 to launch was less than optimal, hinting that the same strategy won't be repeated.

"[That] was a decision I that I was deeply involved in. There was reasonable ground for that decision, but these days I do not think that was a good idea. It was a decision made after much debate, but there may have been other options."

Interesting read. So we know PS5 will have SSD, backwards compatibility, adaptive triggers and 3d audio for controllers, but that there will be even more features to separate the console from the PS4. Hopefully this will encourage people to move on from PS4 quicker. I know I will be jumping on the PS5 train asap. But what about you, SW? Will this make a more compelling argument for you to make the switch quicker? What type of features are you hoping to see?

PS5's "Hardware Based Raytracing" has confirmed again during the recent CES 2020 presentation.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#72 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2650 Posts

They talked about the controller haptic triggers.. maybe they will end up adding the back buttons as well. That could be one thing. The other could be... the rumored full backwards comp which would be massive... one can dream.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DaVillain-  Moderator

@i_p_daily: The answer is no at this time. Sony hasn't announce full details of PS5.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SolidGame_basic

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: The answer is no at this time. Sony hasn't announce full details of PS5.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-release-date-window-games-price-specs-backward/1100-6466357/

"Cerny also confirmed the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games, as the two consoles are built upon similar internal architectures. This will be welcome news for those who were disappointed by the PS4's lack of backwards compatibility with PS3, PS2, and PS1 games.

SIE president Jim Ryan told GameSpot sister site CNET backwards compatibility and cross-gen are important for the PS5 to help players have a seamless transition."

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DaVillain-  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I thought Daily was looking for Sony's own statement words?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 10502 Posts

@i_p_daily: When in the lifespan of consoles has BC not been free? I'm not sure why you're even questioning that. You think Sony would charge me to pop my ps4 game into my ps5 to play?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro

@joshrmeyer said:

@i_p_daily: When in the lifespan of consoles has BC not been free? I'm not sure why you're even questioning that. You think Sony would charge me to pop my ps4 game into my ps5 to play?

Its an illogical conclusion to make for any reasonable person. Buh buh PSNow he may argue.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 I_P_Daily

@Pedro said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Its an illogical conclusion to make for any reasonable person. Buh buh PSNow he may argue.

Time will tell.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5806 Posts

@i_p_daily: Well time has shown over and over and over again that you're a clown troll, so I'll stick to reason rather then your lunacy.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1781 Posts

100gb blu-ray drives LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Can't even push 4k content.

Also lol at BC now being interesting for Sony after shitting on it last gen.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Pedro

@i_p_daily said:

Time will tell.

You could have bowed out but you decided to run with this irrational idea. So be it.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 3951 Posts

Maybe they will have a dildo controller with haptic feedback so we can feel the butt hurt of the Xbox fanboys on release.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 458 Posts

@ten_pints:

I think Xbox gamers will be to busy enjoying the most powerful console on the planet with halo and forza ,looking outstanding on the new Xbox to worry about a dildo shaped controller being used to play a non exclusive war frame clone GOD awFALL on a weaker machine.

Fanboys HAH

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Pedro

@ten_pints said:

Maybe they will have a dildo controller with haptic feedback so we can feel the butt hurt of the Xbox fanboys on release.

That's an interesting idea to just come up with out of the blue. I wonder why you migrated so quickly towards a dildo controller with haptic feedback.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 I_P_Daily

@Pedro said:
@i_p_daily said:

Time will tell.

You could have bowed out but you decided to run with this irrational idea. So be it.

I'm not saying they will, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did is all i'm saying.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By I_P_Daily

@ten_pints said:

You already know what butthurt feels like lol.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 I_P_Daily
@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: Well time has shown over and over and over again that you're a clown troll, so I'll stick to reason rather then your lunacy.

What time has shown is that you cry over my comments, that is fact, its probably makes up a third of your comments on here lol.

We should see if we can get you a Kleenex deal where they supply you with tissues and in return you put a Kleenex box in your sig, a win, win I think :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Pedro

@i_p_daily said:

I'm not saying they will, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did is all i'm saying.

Fine. I can live with that ,but the chances of Sony making possibly the dumbest decision for the PS5 like charging for BC is 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:
@i_p_daily said:

Fine. I can live with that ,but the chances of Sony making possibly the dumbest decision for the PS5 like charging for BC is 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

/thread