Jim Ryan gives more details about PS5, says biggest features haven't been revealed yet

• 88 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-09-sonys-jim-ryan-playstation-5s-bigger-differences-have-yet-to-be-announced

So far the details released about the upcoming device have been largely incremental improvements on the PlayStation 4's technology, such as 8K support and USB-C powered controllers with 'adaptive triggers.'

There have also been efforts to assure a smooth transition for PS4 owners, such as backwards compatibility, and to calm retail fears of a digital-only console, with Sony stating PlayStation 5 will use 100GB optical discs.

Perhaps the most exciting feature announced is the replacement of the hard drive with a solid-state drive, which will result in much faster loading times.

In an interview with Business Insider Japan, translated by Gematsu, Ryan promised there was a lot more to come and that Sony is all too aware its next console needs major selling points to encourage people to upgrade from the PS4.

"Each time a new console is released, the processor and graphics improve," he said. "Those are enticing of course, but we need to have special appeals as well. We have already confirmed the use of an solid-state drive. Having load times that are next to nothing is a major change.

"3D audio and the haptic feedback support of the controller are also things that, when you try them, you will be surprised at how big a change they are. Even just playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PlayStation 5 controller is a completely different experience. While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control and play using the adaptive triggers.

"But you know. There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The 'bigger differences' have yet to be announced."

Ryan was also drawn into a discussion about the Japanese launch. While he could not comment on timings or launch markets, he acknowledged that the fact Sony's home market had to wait an additional three months for the PlayStation 4 to launch was less than optimal, hinting that the same strategy won't be repeated.

"[That] was a decision I that I was deeply involved in. There was reasonable ground for that decision, but these days I do not think that was a good idea. It was a decision made after much debate, but there may have been other options."

Interesting read. So we know PS5 will have SSD, backwards compatibility, adaptive triggers and 3d audio for controllers, but that there will be even more features to separate the console from the PS4. Hopefully this will encourage people to move on from PS4 quicker. I know I will be jumping on the PS5 train asap. But what about you, SW? Will this make a more compelling argument for you to make the switch quicker? What type of features are you hoping to see?

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Black Friday 2021 purchase for me unless the Ps5 is more powerful than the new Xbox then I’ll get ps5 first

If I’m gonna she’ll out 100’s of £££ then I want ‘da power’ features are nice but not a system seller for me

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Wow!

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Kinda wonder what buzzwords they come up with this time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

No surprise. Sony has several cards up their sleeve for next gen. That is clearly the tactic they're taking.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I know this may sound strange coming from me but, I really don't care about Sony brand anymore once PS5 is release which is sad, because I been with Sony since PSX but that doesn't mean I won't ever buy PS5. I'll buy it when it enters it's 3/4 year of it's lifespan so it'll be mature enough to warrant a purchase. Hearing it'll have BC is a huge plus but I'm totally happy with my PS4 and I still have much to do.

Nevertheless, I'm more interest how PS5 launch will fair and what it can bring to the gaming world. PSVR2 will pave the way for VR gaming to be easier to access.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

Sony made all of my PS3 purchases useless with PS4, so unless they have BC with all previous gen, I don't see anything that they can offer that is not just a performance improvement.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro said:

Sony made all of my PS3 purchases useless with PS4, so unless they have BC with all previous gen, I don't see anything that they can offer that is not just a performance improvement.

Did your PS3 instantly explode the moment you bought a PS4 or something?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@subspecies: It got YLOD, then the disc drive failed with the replacement, then disc drive failed again with the next replacement. In all three situations the system never moved and was placed in an open space. So, you can say they rendered themselves useless.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@subspecies said:
@Pedro said:

Yep all lemmings PS3 exploded on November 2013,even that the xbox one had ZERO BC back then as well and they say shit,worse the majority of xbox 360 games don't even work on xbox one,and they act like they have 100% backward compatibility.

So if you have many of the unsupported games your xbox officially has no BC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro said:

@subspecies: It got YLOD, then the disc drive failed with the replacement, then disc drive failed again with the next replacement. In all three situations the system never moved and was placed in an open space. So, you can say they rendered themselves useless.

That is supremely bad luck, lol. I still have my original PS3 fatty model. Works fine to this day.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@subspecies: I guess. My first PS3 was stolen. Got to love Miami, the second one YLOD, the third and fourth drives failed. LOL.

@tormentos: What transpired on the Xbox at that time is useless to me since the vast majority of my gaming was on the PS3. So, why would I care about what happens on the Xbox? Why are you such a tool?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yo, dawg. I heard you like reveals.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@Pedro said:

All of this can be blame on the "Cell" and because of it, their was no other way to have BC that is, until now. PS4 to PS5 will be so much easier and simple. (I hope)

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I love how the articles minimizes the upgrade. So going from a console that maxes out at 1080p to one that can support 8k is an incrementalimprovement? LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Jim Ryan shouldn't be the leader of playstation the guys a douche I don't like him at all after what he said about old games I really don't like that guy

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I expect some more bollocks.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#18  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Just tell us about the exclusives. I don't care too much about the console hardware as long as the exclusives can run at least 1080p/60fps. I have a PC for quality gaming.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tormentos

@Pedro:

You could fix YLOD it was cheaper than the 360 to fox,so if you loss your games is on you,again the Xbox one wasn't bc either on 2013 so irrelevant of your games been on PS3 or not if your games would had been on Xbox it would had been the same.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I didn't read any new info.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I'll be getting a PS5 as soon as possible. Backwards compatibility makes it a pretty easy decision for me. I want to keep things simple going forward so as long as it focuses on playing games I'll be happy with it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

You could fix YLOD it was cheaper than the 360 to fox,so if you loss your games is on you,again the Xbox one wasn't bc either on 2013 so irrelevant of your games been on PS3 or not if your games would had been on Xbox it would had been the same.

Its my fault the PS3 hardware failed? Who cares what was going on with the Xbox 360 if my problem was with the PS3 hardware? Why are you such a tool man?

Consumer:"My PS3 got YLOD?"

Sony tool:"Well the 360 had problems that were far worse"

Consumer:"How does that change the YLOD on my PS3?"

Sony tool:"The Xbox 360 was more expensive to repair"

Consumer: "Still my problem hasn't been solved."

Sony tool: "Its your fault".

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

It'll play Steam games too?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I would love if I could play my PS2 Silent Hill Shattered Memories copy on PS5 upscaled to at least 1080p.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Well it does sound promising at least. I’m going to go with the Xbox Series X console at launch though and get a PS5 later on down the road. There will surely be some games that I’ll be very interested in playing when I do get one.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tormentos

@Pedro:

You argument is stupid,and you are hiding on your so call ""broken "" PS3 is nothing but a lame excuse.

Sony didn't make your PS3 games useless with the PS4 your damn ps3 BROKE,yeah ask MS things BREAK..

The PS4 is incapable of emulating PS3 do to cell,and again on 2013 if you would have had 360 games you would have the same problem as no BC was there and the Xbox was even more unreliable.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lundy86_4

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

Sony didn't make your PS3 games useless with the PS4 your damn ps3 BROKE...

That's the definition of a manufacturer being responsible, unless there were some stupid electronics care on behalf of the consumer. Electronics fail, and it's why warranties exist.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

You argument is stupid,and you are hiding on your so call ""broken "" PS3 is nothing but a lame excuse.

Sony didn't make your PS3 games useless with the PS4 your damn ps3 BROKE,yeah ask MS things BREAK..

The PS4 is incapable of emulating PS3 do to cell,and again on 2013 if you would have had 360 games you would have the same problem as no BC was there and the Xbox was even more unreliable.

You keep mentioning MS as if MS manufactured the PS3. WTF does MS have to do with my PS3 experience? I am talking about the PS3 not the 360. Stop deflecting and stop being a tool.

What the hell is "you are hiding on your so call "broken" PS3 is nothing but a lame excuse". Hiding what? Excusing what? You are just embarrassing yourself now.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tormentos

@Pedro:

I'm a tool and you are a sad lemming.

But but but Sony make my games useless so did MS,so did Nintendo with the switch ,hell so did Nintendo with the snes and n64,Sega with the saturn,dreamcast.

Come on man you holding tied to the most stupid reason to justify your shitty argument,your PS3 broke then you should have bought a new one or used hell you can still buy them,just like any lemming most do if they want 100%BC.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tormentos

@lundy86_4:

No is not and most console sold weren't BC at all,in fact this Gen non were the Xbox has a shitty broken BC introduce latter one that work with some games the majority don't work.

Nintendo doesn't have it neither does Sony,the whole fire now about BC is done mostly by lemmings championing something they have even if it is broken.

Products brake all the time,it happen to PC and consoles,not even windows 10 is compatible with all games across all windows systems and PC has been the biggest most compatible device ever make across generations.

And is not coincidence that the best selling 2 consoles don't have any kind of BC and people don't care.

BC is great on launch were few games are available,but 2 years into the gen the console should be pulling its own weight.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lundy86_4

@tormentos said:

@lundy86_4:

No is not and most console sold weren't BC at all,in fact this Gen non were the Xbox has a shitty broken BC introduce latter one that work with some games the majority don't work.

Nintendo doesn't have it neither does Sony,the whole fire now about BC is done mostly by lemmings championing something they have even if it is broken.

Products brake all the time,it happen to PC and consoles,not even windows 10 is compatible with all games across all windows systems and PC has been the biggest most compatible device ever make across generations.

And is not coincidence that the best selling 2 consoles don't have any kind of BC and people don't care.

BC is great on launch were few games are available,but 2 years into the gen the console should be pulling its own weight.

What are you responding to? My post didn't address any of that. This "Reply" shit is a fucking nightmare, for obvious reasons.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Cool. Hope its a good console.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

I'm a tool and you are a sad lemming.

But but but Sony make my games useless so did MS,so did Nintendo with the switch ,hell so did Nintendo with the snes and n64,Sega with the saturn,dreamcast.

Come on man you holding tied to the most stupid reason to justify your shitty argument,your PS3 broke then you should have bought a new one or used hell you can still buy them,just like any lemming most do if they want 100%BC.

Last I checked, this thread is about Sony and the Playstation. Seems like you are struggling with that concept. Instead you are here dicking riding Sony and expressing severe butthurt from my comment. Buh buh MS and Xbox. Typical Sony tool. Can't even handle discussion about Sony without MS.

"your PS3 broke then you should have bought a new one or used hell you can still buy them" Tormentos

"It got YLOD, then the disc drive failed with the replacement, then disc drive failed again with the next replacement. In all three situations the system never moved and was placed in an open space. So, you can say they rendered themselves useless." Pedro

Sad, you can't even read or form a meaningful argument. Too busy dick riding. :)

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@tormentos said:
@subspecies said:

Yep all lemmings PS3 exploded on November 2013,even that the xbox one had ZERO BC back then as well and they say shit,worse the majority of xbox 360 games don't even work on xbox one,and they act like they have 100% backward compatibility.

So if you have many of the unsupported games your xbox officially has no BC.

B-b-b-but I was told Xbox One had the solution to back compat because it only played a mere 26% of the 360 library, which means this was a TOTALLY PLANNED AND WELL THOUGHT OUT THING and not a desperate cheap stunt they could milk to bring 360 owners to their dying platform. Mainly, so they could stall for good PR until they could get a new high-priced console on the market. Yessiree!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've already started saving for the PS5 under the assumption it will be $500.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@tormentos: I see you're having a meltdown again, very funny to watch keep it up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

I saw this fluff piece yesterday and was wondering which cow would post it here.

Sony have revealed pretty much nothing about the PS5, I mean the cows fapped over the logo, so any old buzz words will have them exploding in their undies before they make it to their special fapping place lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic: Quick question for you. Have Sony officially said that Backwards Compatibility will come at no extra cost? the reason I ask is what will happen to the PS NOW as free BC would make it obsolete.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@i_p_daily: How would BC make PS Now obsolete? Did everybody who has PS Now just inherit every ps2/3 and 4 game that's on Now?!? Come on troll, do better, try harder, this weak shit ain't gonna work no more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: How would BC make PS Now obsolete? Did everybody who has PS Now just inherit every ps2/3 and 4 game that's on Now?!? Come on troll, do better, try harder, this weak shit ain't gonna work no more.

Was I asking you my whingy little cow? and I asked a legitimate question, but you run in with troll this & troll that. You're a Wombat.

You went from vfighter to vcryer lol.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

That's awesome.

I can't wait for the nextgen lighting system in the controller. Energy efficient LEDs at 5,000 lumens, infinite color palette, multiple modes including normal, alternating and strobe all tied into the haptic system. I hope the controller also comes with the optional deluxe extra long dual purpose cord/strap so I can mount it on the top of my car whenever I want to play fireman, cop, ambulance driver, etc. It'll be glorious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

B-b-b-but I was told Xbox One had the solution to back compat because it only played a mere 26% of the 360 library, which means this was a TOTALLY PLANNED AND WELL THOUGHT OUT THING and not a desperate cheap stunt they could milk to bring 360 owners to their dying platform. Mainly, so they could stall for good PR until they could get a new high-priced console on the market. Yessiree!

This is what happens when the butthurt is so severe that even in a Playstation thread you can't stop talking about Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Unique-elements-about-the-PlayStation-5-leak-out.449771.0.html

''The PS5 may be getting a 40 Compute Unit (CU) GPU if the latest set of rumours about Sony's ninth-generation console are to be believed. The claim is part of a wider dump on Pastebin titled "PS5 Latest Proposed Core Specification" about the regular PS5, which states that the console's GPU will be capable of up to 10.25 TFLOPS. Seemingly verified by RedGamingTech as genuine, the post also states that the PS5's semi-custom CPU will reach up to 3.50 GHz across its eight cores and sixteen threads.

Sony switching to an RDNA2 GPU this late into the PS5's development cycle is unlikely, with an original RDNA GPU the more probable candidate. According to the post, the GPU will support double-rate FP16, variable-rate shading and integrated geometry culling, while a hardware ray tracing accelerator on the APU die will take care of shadows, reflections, global illumination and particles. The GPU will also operate on a 256-bit bus and will be supported by 16 GB of GDDR6 VRAM yielding a bandwidth of 512 GB/s.

The post goes on to claim that the PS5 will have an additional 4 GB of DDR4 RAM linked to a RISC storage processor, which will simultaneously manage the console's dual storage system. Split across a semi-custom 1 TB NVMe SSD and a 1 TB 7,200 RPM HDD, the PS5 will apparently launch on November 20 for US$399. Each purchase will come with one controller and a first-party game too, which seems like a reasonable deal.

While these specifications remain unconfirmed for the time being, but the new details do tie in with the notion of the PS5 having some unique and still unannounced elements, a claim attributed to Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) CEO Jim Ryan. According to Gematsu, Ryan stated the following during an interview with Business Insider Japan:

There are still more unique elements for PlayStation 5 to come that separate it from previous consoles. The ‘bigger differences’ have yet to be announced.

It is already expected that the PS5 will have much better graphics and processor capabilities than the PS4, while Sony has confirmed that the console will use an SSD for the first time. Would a RISC storage processor with dedicated RAM and a dedicated ray-tracing accelerator make a big enough difference for you? Let us know in the comments.''

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@jahnee said:
Each purchase will come with one controller and a first-party game too, which seems like a reasonable deal.

You lost me at this line.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jahnee said:
Each purchase will come with one controller and a first-party game too, which seems like a reasonable deal.

You lost me at this line.

not my words

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@jahnee said:

not my words

They lost me at that line. :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

I read some of what Tormentos wrote. Now my head hurts.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Jim Ryan shouldn't be the leader of playstation the guys a douche I don't like him at all after what he said about old games I really don't like that guy

I agree that was a dumb thing to say and shows he is out of touch with what the players wanted feature wise, but I also hope it means there won't be as many remaster/remakes this go around.

Give me new games and fulfill your promise about having a stronger multiplayer showing, and I will be a lot happier.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WitIsWisdom
@lamprey263 said:

It'll play Steam games too?

Man.. that would be a crazy announcement. I don't expect it, but it would be cool if they announced a partnership with something like that, or introduce their own.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WitIsWisdom
@tormentos said:

@lundy86_4:

Honestly I don't care what anyone says. The Xbox One doesn't have backward compatibility. That would mean it was able to play the games natively off the disc. I don't know what I would call it, but it sure as hell isn't compatible. Downloading the entire game to your HD with the disc just being a check point clear isn't the same thing.

It's like saying an 8 track is compatible with with online music because you can download the same songs from back then.. not at all the same thing as backward compatibility.

I am hoping that BOTH the PS5 and XSX have NATIVE Backward Compatibility, and don't try to make us download anything or try to stream it.

People can argue it's the same thing all they want, but it isn't. Neither the PS4 or the Xbox One have BC. If the rumors (that's what I'll call it until native bc is confirmed) are true that they both have TRUE BC then that is pretty sweet, but if I have to jump through hoops and I am forced to download games in their entirety that is more of a service in my opinion... especially if over half the games don't even work.