Jim Ryan Famtisu Interview: PS5 exclusives to increase, PC releases to stay staggered

• 111 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan was featured in an interviewpublished today by Japanese website Famitsu.

The interviewer went through various topics, including the improved supply chain of PS5 consoles. Ryan highlighted that the PlayStation 5 had registered the best start ever for a Sony console, despite those supply chain issues encountered in the first couple of years since the hardware's debut

Sony plans to maintain favorable momentum thanks to upcoming PS5 exclusives like Koei Tecmo's Rise of the Ronin (due next year), Square Enix's Final Fantasy XVI (due on June 22nd), and Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (likely due in September; we'll know more next week at the PlayStation Showcase). On the latter game, Ryan said it would fully utilize the PS5's features to provide a 'wonderful experience' according to feedback from gamers (perhaps during testing).

Later in the interview, the executive mentioned Sony's plan to increase PS5 exclusives while keeping PC ports staggered. He added that PC fans didn't mind waiting two or three years to play those games on their platform.

We also fully understand the importance of PS5 exclusive titles. As I mentioned earlier, PlayStation Studios' main responsibility is to have people enjoy the game experience using the latest PS. We are increasing the number of PS5 exclusive titles and staggering the release of the PC version.

I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably.

While Sony was always clear that at least the single player exclusives would continue launching on console first and PC later, we were hoping the port timing would shrink rather than expand. The first big first-party game ported to PC, Horizon Zero Dawn, landed on the platform over three years after its debut on PlayStation.

However, the most recent port (Housemarque's Returnal) took less than two years. In October 2022, PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst said the single player PS5 games would keep at least one year of exclusivity on the console, sparking hope that the wait time could become even shorter. Ryan's fresh statement doesn't exactly inspire confidence on that count, especially pared with Hulst saying earlier this month that the decision to port a game on PC would be made case by case.

Still, given the success of most PlayStation releases, we'd be surprised if any games didn't eventually make it. It'll just take a few years.

As an aside, Jim Ryan also revealed today that Sucker Punch's Ghost of Tsushima has sold over one million copies in Japan, showing that the Seattle-based studio managed to win the hearts of Japanese gamers with their excellent adaptation of the Mongol invasion. Ghost of Tsushima is being adapted into a live action movie directed by John Wick's Chad Stahelski.

Thanks PC fans for being so patient while we're enjoying our games first 😂

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2503 Posts

Dang, Sony is about to show off so much stuff at the PlayStation Showcase and Summer Games Fest. Bet.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12891 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan was featured in an interviewpublished today by Japanese website Famitsu.

The interviewer went through various topics, including the improved supply chain of PS5 consoles. Ryan highlighted that the PlayStation 5 had registered the best start ever for a Sony console, despite those supply chain issues encountered in the first couple of years since the hardware's debut

Sony plans to maintain favorable momentum thanks to upcoming PS5 exclusives like Koei Tecmo's Rise of the Ronin (due next year), Square Enix's Final Fantasy XVI (due on June 22nd), and Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (likely due in September; we'll know more next week at the PlayStation Showcase). On the latter game, Ryan said it would fully utilize the PS5's features to provide a 'wonderful experience' according to feedback from gamers (perhaps during testing).

Later in the interview, the executive mentioned Sony's plan to increase PS5 exclusives while keeping PC ports staggered. He added that PC fans didn't mind waiting two or three years to play those games on their platform.

We also fully understand the importance of PS5 exclusive titles. As I mentioned earlier, PlayStation Studios' main responsibility is to have people enjoy the game experience using the latest PS. We are increasing the number of PS5 exclusive titles and staggering the release of the PC version.

I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably.

While Sony was always clear that at least the single player exclusives would continue launching on console first and PC later, we were hoping the port timing would shrink rather than expand. The first big first-party game ported to PC, Horizon Zero Dawn, landed on the platform over three years after its debut on PlayStation.

However, the most recent port (Housemarque's Returnal) took less than two years. In October 2022, PlayStation Studios head Hermen Hulst said the single player PS5 games would keep at least one year of exclusivity on the console, sparking hope that the wait time could become even shorter. Ryan's fresh statement doesn't exactly inspire confidence on that count, especially pared with Hulst saying earlier this month that the decision to port a game on PC would be made case by case.

Still, given the success of most PlayStation releases, we'd be surprised if any games didn't eventually make it. It'll just take a few years.

As an aside, Jim Ryan also revealed today that Sucker Punch's Ghost of Tsushima has sold over one million copies in Japan, showing that the Seattle-based studio managed to win the hearts of Japanese gamers with their excellent adaptation of the Mongol invasion. Ghost of Tsushima is being adapted into a live action movie directed by John Wick's Chad Stahelski.

9/2022 - The Last of Us Part 1 Remake for PS5

03/2023 - The Last of Us Part 1 Remake for PC

Down to only 6 months now. Day and date coming up with PS5 multiplayer exclusives!

Thank you Lyin' Jim Ryan!

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

This showcase is gonna be off the hook, apparently.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

There's no reason to think they'd release their brand new single player games day one on PC. PlayStation relies heavily on the success of their console so it only makes sense to treat those consumers as their main focus.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38634 Posts

Good. Punish hermits as much as humanly possible. Enjoy Ragnarok in 2029 when i'll be playing GoW Egypt on the ps6🤣

Pathetic.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56016 Posts

@robotlord said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Isn't this better than not getting the games at all like most platform exclusives since the starting of exclusives?

This is a +1/win for pc gaming no matter how you shake it.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone knows Sony wasn't gonna release their exclusives day one for PC anyway. This is hardly new to anyone about how Sony operates.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Been watching/reading so many bad PC port reviews lately I misread the title as “ PC releases to stay stuttered”. I haven’t personally been interested in many Sony exclusives but as long as they hire actual competent studios to port their games over who cares if it’s day one or not? There are tens of thousands of quality games already released to consider before being in a rush to snatch the latest release.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Jim Ryan 🤣🤣🤣🤣

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KvallyX

@simple-facts said:

Jim Ryan 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

Didn’t he also say that he believed in generations? 🤔

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

I don't mind waiting 2 to 3 years, as long as the port's good and not TLOU P1 broken.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10580 Posts

*Shrugs* Don't mind. Plenty of other games for me to play.

And I only really care about HFW anyway.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8009 Posts

imagine bragging about timed exclusives.. 🤭

at any rate, glad to hear those games are coming to PC.. i'll continue to support PlayStation there 👍

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17419 Posts

I'd imagine it would continue with 1-2yrs doe larger titles, 6m-1y for the smaller ones.

No way they'll wait 3yrs again given how much money they're making on PC ports.

I just want Ghosts of Tsushima on PC for the mods

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic

@Antwan3K said:

at any rate, glad to hear those games are coming to PC.. i'll continue to support PlayStation there 👍

aren't you bragging about Microsoft buying the market and giving us exclusives like Redfall?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17802 Posts

A shame it won't be quicker but not the end of the world. I have soooo many games to play.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#21 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

i don't mind waiting for PC ports - as long as they are actually good ports.

be nice if we didn't have to wait 2+ years, but its better than not getting PC versions at all. games aren't aging the way they used to so its not like most well made games will feel dated after that time period.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

That's a pretty insanely long wait. Might as well just play them on PS5.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16534 Posts

lol playstation...who cares, it barely gets any games worth talking about anyways...yawn.

worst part is pc gamers getting shat on with crap ports like tlou, a 10 year old ps3 port.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Antwan3K said:

aren't you bragging about Microsoft buying the market and giving us exclusives like Redfall?

Because Avowed, Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, etc don't count?

I mean, with Sony buying up the market and giving us bangers like Lightfall....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

Means nowt to me, aside from Bloodborne generally don't give a shit about their games.

Think find the actual care of the PC community will be pretty low.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Antwan3K
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Antwan3K said:

RedFall isn't exclusive to one piece of plastic.. it's available on console, PC, and cloud.. in this digital age, i prefer having access to games and content on as many of screens as possible..

it seems like you're salty about PlayStation no longer supporting "exclusives".. 🤷‍♂️ the best you have now are timed-exclusives.. and no true PC gamer is going to buy your precious console when they know they've got a superior version coming to PC eventually..

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 506 Posts

I don't really care to wait personally. I usually wait until a sale before I buy a game anyway, and a massive game library on Steam alone means I never run out of games to play. Most of Sony's games I wanted to play I already played on my PS4 and I never double dipped for PC. If a truely amazing title that I have to play immediately comes out, I'll just buy a PS5 to play it, otherwise, I'll wait and play on my preferred platform when it releases.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Bloodborne is more than one year old, they should port it.

Bloodborne is long overdue for a port, but I still have this weird feeling that the hitches will still be there, no matter what your hardware is

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

RedFall isn't exclusive to one piece of plastic.. it's available on console, PC, and cloud.. in this digital age, i prefer having access to games and content on as many of screens as possible..

it seems like you're salty about PlayStation no longer supporting "exclusives".. 🤷‍♂️ the best you have now are timed-exclusives.. and no true PC gamer is going to buy your precious console when they know they've got a superior version coming to PC eventually..

You mean like what happened with Xbox? Playstation consoles are still thriving while supporting two markets. The only thing keeping clout with Xbox for PC is holding Starfield hostage

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1175 Posts
@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Down to only 6 months now. Day and date coming up with PS5 multiplayer exclusives!

That is being disingenuous. The Last of Us Part 1 Remake is not a brand new game; in fact, it is the third iteration of an old game. Sony just wanted to make as much money as they could with that release. Did PC get other big Sony games within 6 months?

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 simple-facts

"PlayStation first party games will never go to pc"

That classic cow narrative 🤣

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46169 Posts

@strategyfn said:
@kvallyx said:

That is being disingenuous. The Last of Us Part 1 Remake is not a brand new game; in fact, it is the third iteration of an old game. Sony just wanted to make as much money as they could with that release. Did PC get other big Sony games within 6 months?

Jim Lyin' Cryin' Ryan

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic

Jim appreciates Japan, thank you Jim!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

So no exclusives for PS5, just timed exclusives. Times have changed.😂

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@strategyfn: your entire reply was disingenuous. You can’t make excuses. Remakes either count or they don’t. Demon’s Souls was praised as a new game. TLOU 1 Remake for PS5 was touted as a new game. They were reviewed as new games.

It’s a fact what I stated. They also committed to same day release on PC for their multiplayer games. It’s all changing. Jim Ryan is Lying to appease Sony trolls.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:

So no exclusives for PS5, just timed exclusives. Times have changed.😂

Meanwhile PS5 is on fire and we’re getting amazing games while you have Redfall 😎

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Antwan3K
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Antwan3K said:

You mean like what happened with Xbox? Playstation consoles are still thriving while supporting two markets. The only thing keeping clout with Xbox for PC is holding Starfield hostage

the console market =/= the PC market..

PlayStation consoles selling has nothing to do with their PC support.. PlayStation consoles were selling when they had true "exclusives" and PlayStation consoles are still selling now only with "timed-exclusives"..

supporting PC is just extra money for Sony.. But i know, it sucks for you to know that the PS5 is now redundant hardware for PC gamers.. 🥺

and since all cows have monster PCs, that ideal must really sting.. 🤭

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3381 Posts

Jim tends to lie a lot so who knows really.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen  Online

The upcoming show will have a lot of non ps5 owners in tears. Be ready.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen: how much damage control are you expecting?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

@hardwenzen: how much damage control are you expecting?

Look at tdkmillsy. Literally left the forums after the 4/10 youknowhat. Lems are an incredibly fragile species. Softer than most of the twitter snowflakes. They're barely even capable of damage controlling, they simply leave and hide. Very pathetic.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 5949 Posts

Cows celebrating timed exclusives now 🤦‍♂️

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Sony game rarely interest me in the slightest, so it does nothing for me one way or the other. (I'm obsessed with building games and open world games with maximum freedom of choice and Sony rarely delivers on those concepts).

Now if they would have brought Dreams to the PC I would have been ALL OVER THAT. But the issue with Sony's player base is that they don't really value building games and games with high player agency. Almost seems like the Sony fan base highly prefers to play games where they are told what to do and when to do it the vast majority of the time. So when they make an AMAZING game like Dreams it does not get the support it needs and thus gets simply abandoned. (As you can tell I LOVED Dreams so I had high hopes for the future for it.)

On the bright side, it is great for Sony to let PC players have some access to the Sony extensive library of VERY high quality titles. (even though I don't care for them)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Meanwhile PS5 is on fire and we’re getting amazing games while you have Redfall 😎

That is interesting. What games have you been playing on the PS5 this year?😎

The time exclusives are eating you up thus the need to damage control.😂

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

*edit*

Scroll on. Wrong thread, nothing to see here.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 simple-facts

@SolidGame_basic:

Forspoken says hi

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#47 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

A console maker that sells their consoles first. This is good.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2249 Posts

That would actually matter if Sony actually released any games… personally my ps5 haven’t been turned on since I finished GOW2…

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@simple-facts said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Forspoken says hi

Forspoken wasn’t a first party game, Redfall is 😎

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

"He added that PC fans didn't mind waiting two or three years to play those games on their platform."

This guys a fuckin idiot. Is he sure it was "PC fans" that he asked. :-S

The clown show just keeps going with Jim Ryan.