Japanese shooting game. Which is best? Which is worst?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aquaunitpatrol
Member since 2011 • 515 Posts
For those who don't know, japanese devs have tried there hand at third and first-person shooters. (Tried should be taken literally.) A lot fail miserby, some are ok, and some just are words you would say. Now most of this is because a lot try to mist Jrpg like elements in their or a popular one is trying to put a decent compelling story with debt in it. That's fine and has been done before, but would you try that in a game as linear and narrow as Uncharted? Except like no actual world so every cutscene telling the story is rushed bull **** and the like. There are other issues as well. So list the best and worst J-shooter you have ever played. if you played any. Tps, Vertex, FPS, whatever. The best and worse on console or PC. Mindjack come to mind.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Lol @ J-shooter :lol:
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#3 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

There are only two Japanese shooters I can even remember playing and Vanquish was significantly better than Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. But Vanquish was just okay.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Isn't House of the Dead a J-shooter?

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

What's with this regional thing going on in gamespot recently? :| are people that closed minded?

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

What's with this regional thing going on in gamespot recently? :| are people that closed minded?

Joedgabe
you make a lot of close minded posts as well though, you and quite a few other Weabos/Sheep.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

When I read the title, I thought you meant a game where you shoot japanese people.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Tikeio

Oh yeah.

Most of them must suck since I can't remember anything besides Vanquish.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Vanquish was pretty fun.
Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Aquaunitpatrol

When I read the title, I thought you meant a game where you shoot japanese people.

HyperWarlock
Racism in SW is allowed? lol No J-shooters. There are quite a few of them. Most cuk though but I know some people like them. Even Square publushed a TPS. Called Mindjack. You should definately not play it.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

In Yakuza of the end you can shoot Japanese people but they're already dead. Can still shoot them though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Tikeio

Judging by their RPGs, I'd have to say yes.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

rasengan2552

you make a lot of close minded posts as well though, you and quite a few other Weabos/Sheep.

oh.. so now you can define my life as someone who loves Asian culture because I believe games shouldn't be judged by region? :| Make yourself useful and go scrub my kitchen's floor, expressing opinions when they're clearly misinformed is definitely something you're useful for. Such racism :|

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"][QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

Joedgabe

oh.. so now you can define my life as someone who loves Asian culture because I believe games shouldn't be judged by region? :| Make yourself useful and go scrub my kitchen's floor, expressing opinions when they're clearly misinformed is definitely something you're useful for. Such racism :|

Sounds like you should take your frustration out in a game of American Football.:D

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] you make a lot of close minded posts as well though, you and quite a few other Weabos/Sheep.Heirren

Sounds like you should take your frustration out in a game of American Football.:D

Lawl, I like Hockey better. Never had much endurance for Football. And I'm not frustrated :| takes a whole lot to frustrate me ;) I however like to get on people's bad side that is always a joy :cool:

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rasengan2552

Joedgabe

My wasn't an attack ... it seems like you took it a bit too personally. boo... **** ... hoo.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the vast majority of j-dev is in the toliet no matter what genre you care to talk about.

sure i guess you can say the same thing about w-dev too but w-dev has only been recycling stale ideas and out of steam for a few years as opposed to j-devs 10 to 15 years.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Shadows of the Damned is a J-shooter as well. It was developed by Japanese devs in Japan, but published by EA.

I think it's only a third-person shooter though.

Dat azz :cool:

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rasengan2552

Shadows of the Damned is a J-shooter as well. It was developed by Japanese devs in Japan, but published by EA.

Dat azz :cool:Tikeio

typical sexual innuendo themed cover art.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] you make a lot of close minded posts as well though, you and quite a few other Weabos/Sheep.rasengan2552

My wasn't an attack ... it seems like you took it a bit too personally. boo... **** ... hoo.

That wasn't an attack either :| that was an order. Go scrub the kitchen floor slave.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
RESIDENT. EVIL. FOUR!
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rasengan2552

Joedgabe

That wasn't an attack either :| that was an order. Go scrub the kitchen floor slave.

Im not even gonna report you ... its not worth it. but for the record I am Japanese ...
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Joedgabe

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] My wasn't an attack ... it seems like you took it a bit too personally. boo... **** ... hoo.rasengan2552

Im not even gonna report you ... its not worth it. but for the record I am Japanese ...

You took a joke way too serious, and I don't even know what does you being Japanese have to do with anything but I'll take it as a cue to drop the whole matter :|

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
All of them are worst.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, and Vanquish are all awesome. I can't think of any bad ones that I've bothered to play.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Tikeio

All of them except for Overkill. That was made by a Western dev team.

On-topic: Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is my current favorite Japanese-developed shooter. It's basically akin to combining the Contra games with crystal meth.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

Aquaunitpatrol

Racism in SW is allowed? lol No J-shooters. There are quite a few of them. Most cuk though but I know some people like them. Even Square publushed a TPS. Called Mindjack. You should definately not play it.

I don't consider that racist.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

There are only two Japanese shooters I can even remember playing and Vanquish was significantly better than Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. But Vanquish was just okay.

vashkey
there was also quantum theory for the Ps3/360 and outrrigger for the dreamcast
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#30 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Vanquish was fun as hell... the RE Chronicles games on Wii were also very enjoyable.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts
Lost Planet 1 was pretty good. Lost Planet 2 was a mess. Didn't even get through the first level before putting it down it's so bad.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
EDF 2017 is amazing. Pretty much Japan's own Serious Sam.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Vanquish is pretty good or so I hear.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#34 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish are the two greatest shooters ever made. Western shooters bow and tremble at their glorious feet.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish are the two greatest shooters ever made. Western shooters bow and tremble at their glorious feet.

Master_ShakeXXX

I would have said RE4 as well but I don't know if I can call it a shooter in good faith. Yeah it techncially is but it doesn't feel like one.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

do shoot-em-ups count? If so I'd definitely say akai katana shin.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] you make a lot of close minded posts as well though, you and quite a few other Weabos/Sheep.rasengan2552

Not sure how you can take blatant personal insults too personally.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

The 3rd Birthday is very good.

chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the reason there are no JFPS's is because a lot of Japanese gamers (trying to be as PC as possible) get motion sickness from playing them? This could be the reason FPS's don't sell well in Japan. I guess they can stomach (pun intended) TPS's to a point but that's where it stops.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

I think Vanquish is the only J shooter i've played.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44690 Posts
Japanese shooters... well about the only one I really liked was Vanquish, and I really liked that, the Lost Planet games were pretty decent, even though Lost Planet 2 got a bad rap for having a broken single player campaign I thought it was still lots of fun to play online cooperatively. Competitive online was also kind of fun.
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

the vast majority of j-dev is in the toliet no matter what genre you care to talk about.

sure i guess you can say the same thing about w-dev too but w-dev has only been recycling stale ideas and out of steam for a few years as opposed to j-devs 10 to 15 years.

Well it's true that they don't have a big precense in the home console market anymore, but saying the developers in japan are down the toilet is definately "your" opinion.
DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

They all suck and you should feel bad for making this crappy thread, idiot.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#44 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Vanquish is one of the best shooters I have played, ever. But there aren't too many shooters that come from Japan so it's hard to say. Maybe if we count Resident Evil as a shooter, particularly with the last two installments.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
vanquish? armored core 3? MGS4?
Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Aquaunitpatrol

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

1PMrFister

All of them except for Overkill. That was made by a Western dev team.

On-topic: Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is my current favorite Japanese-developed shooter. It's basically akin to combining the Contra games with crystal meth.

Still a J-shooter if the gameplay is still simular, this isn;t region based it's style based.
Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Aquaunitpatrol

Vanquish is one of the best shooters I have played, ever. But there aren't too many shooters that come from Japan so it's hard to say. Maybe if we count Resident Evil as a shooter, particularly with the last two installments.

NeonNinja
Yes there are. Problem is you probably never though about it until this thread. There's quite a selection.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
RESIDENT. EVIL. FOUR!locopatho
Thank God, I was beginning to think everyone in this thread had gone mad. I think Japan has made some pretty amazing TPS's (ok so mainly Mikami) but I don't know what a Japanese FPS would be like.
nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

Dat azz :cool:rasengan2552

typical sexual innuendo themed cover art.

this post taught me that you don't know what "innuendo" means.

Aquaunitpatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Aquaunitpatrol
[QUOTE="locopatho"]RESIDENT. EVIL. FOUR!bobbetybob
Thank God, I was beginning to think everyone in this thread had gone mad. I think Japan has made some pretty amazing TPS's (ok so mainly Mikami) but I don't know what a Japanese FPS would be like.

http://uk.gamespot.com/zeno-clash-ultimate-edition/reviews/zeno-clash-ultimate-edition-review-6263229 Zeno Clash http://uk.gamespot.com/rocketmen-axis-of-evil/reviews/rocketmen-axis-of-evil-review-6187863 Rocket man although it's not really a FPS and yet GS lists it as such. These are just the ones that did not get below a 6. the others are all below 6 unless I m missing some. now TPS and OS style there are a lot of Jshooters 6 and over but below 8.0 with the exception of vanquish and I think 2 other games.