Japan is the fastest growing market for Xbox

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

3182

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 3182 Posts

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-japan-fastest-growing-market?utm_source=facebook

fueled mostly by Series S sales

“We've seen phenomenal growth within this last twelve months in Japan,” he continued. “And that's new people coming into our ecosystem, that's people signing up for Game Pass, that's people buying accessories or games on PC. So we're seeing really phenomenal growth coming out of Japan to be top of that list for us.”

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

35571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35571 Posts

Really? Well that’s certainly interesting. I like the sound of that myself because I love me a lot of Japanese games so hopefully this will help bring some more of them to the platform.

Avatar image for Telekill
Telekill

11408

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Telekill  Online
Member since 2003 • 11408 Posts

I'm interested here. Is this... most improved growth? That would be a far easier accomplishment than fastest overall growth. Did Switch top out?

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

38793

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 38793 Posts

Who woulda thunk it? lol :P

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

Cheapest way into a big catalogue, isn't it. Not surprised if they have good internet and PC isn't so popular. Still doesn't mean sales are spectacular, but probably reassuring for MS they can gain some kind of foothold in Japan.

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

3182

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 3182 Posts

@Telekill said:

I'm interested here. Is this... most improved growth? That would be a far easier accomplishment than fastest overall growth. Did Switch top out?

fastest growing.. which would mean that percentage wise they are fastest .. if NA increased 12% and Japan increased 50% from their last gen sales then Japan would be growing faster even though they sold less units (hypothetical numbers)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

32557

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 32557 Posts

They sold 10 units instead of 5? Damn, they doubled their market!

Avatar image for UnnDunn
UnnDunn

3939

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3939 Posts

Good to see Xbox is finally enjoying some real, organic success in Japan, and it's no surprise Xbox Series S is driving it.

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6870

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6870 Posts

not sure about that one chief

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

47434

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 47434 Posts

Japan's revenge against Sony begins now lol. All jest aside, The Series S for an all-digital console and cheapest would make sense to sell well over in Japan and not to mention its smaller makes it fit well houses/apartments. Nevertheless, glad to hear consoles in general is still doing great for the gaming community.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@howmakewood: Aha. XD

Have you got a link, btw? My Google skills suck and I'd be interested to see what's happening in a bit more detail.

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6870

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6870 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:

@howmakewood: Aha. XD

Have you got a link, btw? My Google skills suck and I'd be interested to see what's happening in a bit more detail.

its from Media create thread

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@sancho_panzer said:

@howmakewood: Aha. XD

Have you got a link, btw? My Google skills suck and I'd be interested to see what's happening in a bit more detail.

its from Media create thread

Thanks!

Avatar image for Chutebox
Chutebox

47752

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 47752 Posts

Buy into those headlines, fellas

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

15820

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 218

User Lists: 0

#15 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15820 Posts

Considering how small Japan's Xbox market was the first place, that's not too surprising... Going from just 100 sales to 200 sales, that's already 100% growth right there!

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
tdkmillsy

4343

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 4343 Posts

Microsoft bringing proper gaming to Sony's back yard :)

Avatar image for SUD123456
SUD123456

6178

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6178 Posts

@Jag85: Bingo

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@howmakewood: Looking at the tables, I'm not sure that graph has much to do with comparative growth between countries, but I'm kind of awful with statistics, so I could be wrong.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

6025

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 6025 Posts

Japan Hardware Report Info

Another example of folks falling for headlines and clickbait.

Current week - Last week - YTD - Lifetime

XBS X | 346 | 391 | | 9.127 | | 34.003

XBS S | 284 | 156 | | 5.582 | | 12.130

Those numbers are abysmal. The Switch sold 97,000 in a week, but we're in here celebrating the Xbox breaking 600? Come on now...

Avatar image for techhog89
Techhog89

4813

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 4813 Posts

Oh, this reminded me of a thread I need to make...

Avatar image for zerothehero
ZeroTheHero

464

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#21 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 464 Posts

Could be resellers importing consoles from japan and ebaying them.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
nintendoboy16

38511

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 38511 Posts

Well with PlayStation surely abandoning their former home...

Avatar image for kadin_kai
Kadin_Kai

1754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#23 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1754 Posts

I think it might be a combination of Gamepass and the developer mode which practically emulates everything.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@goldenelementxl: More interesting part is PS5 sales halving week on week, with Series sales increasing, but that's likely a stock issue, I suppose.

LOL, You take what you can get.

Avatar image for dabear
dabear

4147

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#25 dabear  Online
Member since 2002 • 4147 Posts

@regnaston: I get it. But, since it pretty much didn't exist last gen, it's not exactly a great statistic without more context.

Example:

  1. 4/21: Sony sells 100k PS5s, MS sells 1,8k XSX
  2. 5/21: Sony sells 120k PS5s, MS sells 5k XSX.

XSX growth is over 250%, PS5 growth is 20%. But, it certainly matters that PS5 sold 98.2K more in April and 115K in May.

It's nice that they're doing better. But, without numbers, I am still skeptical of MS's success in Japan.

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

3182

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#26 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 3182 Posts

@dabear said:

@regnaston: I get it. But, since it pretty much didn't exist last gen, it's not exactly a great statistic without more context.

Example:

  1. 4/21: Sony sells 100k PS5s, MS sells 1,8k XSX
  2. 5/21: Sony sells 120k PS5s, MS sells 5k XSX.

XSX growth is over 250%, PS5 growth is 20%. But, it certainly matters that PS5 sold 98.2K more in April and 115K in May.

It's nice that they're doing better. But, without numbers, I am still skeptical of MS's success in Japan.

They were referring to their own numbers not versus other consoles. What PS5 sells is not what they were referencing.

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6870

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#27 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6870 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:

@howmakewood: Looking at the tables, I'm not sure that graph has much to do with comparative growth between countries, but I'm kind of awful with statistics, so I could be wrong.

well it depends where do you want to take the sample, last few weeks? Then there is growth, since the launch of series x? nope, tho it may catch up if the recent trend stays

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

3182

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#28 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 3182 Posts

@howmakewood said:
@sancho_panzer said:

@howmakewood: Looking at the tables, I'm not sure that graph has much to do with comparative growth between countries, but I'm kind of awful with statistics, so I could be wrong.

well it depends where do you want to take the sample, last few weeks? Then there is growth, since the launch of series x? nope, tho it may catch up if the recent trend stays

are those numbers representing 100's of units sold, 10's of units sold??

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@howmakewood: I'll have to take your word for it. Like I say, my stats understanding sucks, and the original claim is quite vague as it is... I mean, they're including accessories and PC in there by the sounds of things.

Still, I'm curious to see how S and X sales compare between different markets. Man, I wish I'd paid more attention during HS stats now.

Avatar image for dabear
dabear

4147

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#30 dabear  Online
Member since 2002 • 4147 Posts

@regnaston said:
@dabear said:

@regnaston: I get it. But, since it pretty much didn't exist last gen, it's not exactly a great statistic without more context.

Example:

  1. 4/21: Sony sells 100k PS5s, MS sells 1,8k XSX
  2. 5/21: Sony sells 120k PS5s, MS sells 5k XSX.

XSX growth is over 250%, PS5 growth is 20%. But, it certainly matters that PS5 sold 98.2K more in April and 115K in May.

It's nice that they're doing better. But, without numbers, I am still skeptical of MS's success in Japan.

They were referring to their own numbers not versus other consoles. What PS5 sells is not what they were referencing.

I get that, and I am not trying to bust your chops or criticize, I am just saying that to me, without actual sales numbers, I am going to take this news with a grain of salt.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@regnaston: Rather depressingly, those appear to be unit sales. Most markets use periods instead of commas as a separator.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

12457

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 12457 Posts

Xbox Japan sales is driven by exporters exporting xbox series outside japan to surrounding asian countries. Xbox is very available in japan and is the easiest place to get stock in asia for rsp price.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

52813

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 0

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 52813 Posts

You got to start somewhere. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Avatar image for howmakewood
Howmakewood

6870

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6870 Posts

@sancho_panzer: they could also be talking about pc/cloud performance, which we cannot speculate based on console hw sales

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

17021

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17021 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

They sold 10 units instead of 5? Damn, they doubled their market!

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
Sancho_Panzer

1785

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1785 Posts

@howmakewood: True.

“We've seen phenomenal growth within this last twelve months in Japan,” he continued. “And that's new people coming into our ecosystem, that's people signing up for Game Pass, that's people buying accessories or games on PC. So we're seeing really phenomenal growth coming out of Japan to be top of that list for us.”

It's pretty wishy-washy PR fluff, when we get down to it.

Avatar image for regnaston
regnaston

3182

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#37 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 3182 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

They sold 10 units instead of 5? Damn, they doubled their market!

anyone else think this gif of Jim Ryan makes him look like that pervy uncle everyone avoids at reunions?

Avatar image for zerothehero
ZeroTheHero

464

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#39 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 464 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

They sold 10 units instead of 5? Damn, they doubled their market!

big balling xbox we sold 10 units boys I could sell more lemonades over there wth are they doing

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

52813

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 0

#40  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 52813 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

They sold 10 units instead of 5? Damn, they doubled their market!

Well imagine if that was sustained. 😮 That would be 20,480 in a year and 40,950 total.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

5788

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#41 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 5788 Posts

The key words here are across PC, GP and Cloud. No way in hell are they moving Xbox hardware in any meaningful numbers.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
Random_Matt

6308

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#42 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6308 Posts

MS PR skills, it's sales are crap. Lems lap it up, what a surprise.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

123

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#43 Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 123 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Japan Hardware Report Info

Another example of folks falling for headlines and clickbait.

Current week - Last week - YTD - Lifetime

XBS X | 346 | 391 | | 9.127 | | 34.003

XBS S | 284 | 156 | | 5.582 | | 12.130

Those numbers are abysmal. The Switch sold 97,000 in a week, but we're in here celebrating the Xbox breaking 600? Come on now...

@goldenelementxl: to me those numbers are not abysmal. Those numbers represent growth. Look don't get me wrong I am a huge Nintendo fan, Nintendo is my favorite company on the Earth and the switch is my favorite console on the market but I don't think any of us should be belittling Microsoft success here. They are doing something fantastic over in Japan and I for one will celebrate them.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

6025

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 6025 Posts

@Amin_and_Azizah: The numbers ARE abysmal. The Xbox Series consoles are trailing the Xbox One sales in Japan. These folks are just playing with semantics here to get a click bait headline during E3 week.

Avatar image for mowgly1
mowgly1

1797

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#45 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 1797 Posts

@regnaston said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-japan-fastest-growing-market?utm_source=facebook

fueled mostly by Series S sales

“We've seen phenomenal growth within this last twelve months in Japan,” he continued. “And that's new people coming into our ecosystem, that's people signing up for Game Pass, that's people buying accessories or games on PC. So we're seeing really phenomenal growth coming out of Japan to be top of that list for us.”

LOL. Everybody can laugh now at Xbox and especially Xbox fans which are swallowing this crap of spin

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

9090

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#46 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 9090 Posts

🤣 Thanks for this thread, I needed a good laugh.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

39717

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 39717 Posts

I would be more curious what the Game Pass on PC adoption rate is there. These numbers after all might reflect say westerners or US military stationed there after all.

Avatar image for thenation
TheNation

565

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#48 TheNation
Member since 2021 • 565 Posts

Well, the series s is the only one you can get for a decent price. But how close is it to Sony and Nintendo?

Avatar image for zerothehero
ZeroTheHero

464

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#49 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 464 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@Amin_and_Azizah: The numbers ARE abysmal. The Xbox Series consoles are trailing the Xbox One sales in Japan. These folks are just playing with semantics here to get a click bait headline during E3 week.

Why aren't people like you calling for phil the axeman to get axed his numbers are sloppier than the xbox one which was horrible.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

6025

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 6025 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I would be more curious what the Game Pass on PC adoption rate is there. These numbers after all might reflect say westerners or US military stationed thereafter all.

Bingo!