Iwata: Nintendo is going all in this E3

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Really looking forward to this. Always will have a warm spot in my heart for Nintendo and the WiiU is a good system despite the hatred for it. My body is ready for E3!

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

You know what would get me crazy exited for nintendo at E3? A new more gritty and mature series. Something to show it's not all just for the kids, and giggles. Do a god damn Pokemon RPG! Why this hasn't been done on their flagship machines is absurd. Hell bring new shit not old shit to the table and lots of it and maybe I might consider them, but till then I'm still not buying Mario or any of the mario crews shit.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@musicalmac said:

A PS4 is only 100 dollars more and it's much newer (and more powerful). If Nintendo is going to compete again, I can't help but imagine it doing so at Wii-like prices (not current Wii U prices). A 199USD Wii U bundle is much more appealing and could lead to better software sales.

The PS4 is only $100 more if you

1. Do not want a game to play

2. Do not care about playing any games online

3. Do not care about getting a second controller for local multiplayer

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#54 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The cost of entry is only 100 more for a newer, more powerful console that features "hard core" games. It's not that hard to understand.

A 199USD Wii U is much more appealing compared to the PS4.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#55 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@musicalmac: I honestly doubt a price cut would help with all these "not next gen" comments being thrown around.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@musicalmac said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The cost of entry is only 100 more for a newer, more powerful console that features "hard core" games. It's not that hard to understand.

A 199USD Wii U is much more appealing compared to the PS4.

The price on the sticker is $100 more. If you were actually going to compare the cost of going to the store, picking up a console, and coming home with a game or two that you can play online with your friends and at home with your family, the PS4 is about $270 more, plus tax.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 musicalmac  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The price on the sticker is $100 more. If you were actually going to compare the cost of going to the store, picking up a console, and coming home with a game or two that you can play online with your friends and at home with your family, the PS4 is about $270 more, plus tax.

That's great, but it doesn't reflect traditional consumer vision -- which means the PS4 only appears to be 100 more to buy than a Wii U. A small price to pay to get a much more powerful console.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PurpleMan5000

@musicalmac said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

That's great, but it doesn't reflect traditional consumer vision -- which means the PS4 only appears to be 100 more to buy than a Wii U. A small price to pay to get a much more powerful console.

Yeah. Nintendo's biggest mistake is being up front an honest about pricing their console when the competition is anything but.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 musicalmac  Moderator

@nintendoboy16 said:

@musicalmac: I honestly doubt a price cut would help with all these "not next gen" comments being thrown around.

Those comments don't affect the people that would want to buy one. I think a price cut would indeed help Wii U sales, especially if it was more in line with what the original Wii was priced at.

A 149USD Wii U with a couple VC or downloadable games included? Hmm....

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 musicalmac  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yeah. Nintendo's biggest mistake is being up front an honest about pricing their console when the competition is anything but.

Maybe Nintendo's problem is that they think like you. Either way, it's not good for Nintendo. A price cut, in my eyes, is a better idea than no price cut. Consumers will react positively to a console that's priced more like the original Wii.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By nintendoboy16

@musicalmac: *looks at PS4 sales and the hype*

Sure it isn't.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@nintendoboy16 said:

@musicalmac: *looks at PS4 sales and the hype*

Sure it isn't.

So what would you suggest they do to fix the Wii U image? Do you have a solution?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PurpleMan5000

@musicalmac said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Those comments don't affect the people that would want to buy one. I think a price cut would indeed help Wii U sales, especially if it was more in line with what the original Wii was priced at.

A 149USD Wii U with a couple VC or downloadable games included? Hmm....

The original Wii was priced at $250.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#65  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

You know what would get me crazy exited for nintendo at E3? A new more gritty and mature series. Something to show it's not all just for the kids, and giggles. Do a god damn Pokemon RPG! Why this hasn't been done on their flagship machines is absurd. Hell bring new shit not old shit to the table and lots of it and maybe I might consider them, but till then I'm still not buying Mario or any of the mario crews shit.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 musicalmac  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yeah, and? A reasonable Wii U isn't even at $250. And it's selling fast enough to encourage Nintendo's execs to take pay cuts.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By nintendoboy16

@musicalmac: Well, it may not be a fixable solution, but if they can market the thing better with the right games, it can at least stay in the market.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@nintendoboy16 said:

Well, it may not be a fixable solution, but if they can market the thing better with the right games, it can at least stay in the market.

They're doing that now, they're releasing all the games they think we want now. It can always stay in the market, even if it's like a giant, three-edged blade in Nintendo's side.

I'm guessing there are a few reasons why the Wii U isn't selling.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@musicalmac said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yeah, and? A reasonable Wii U isn't even at $250. And it's selling fast enough to encourage Nintendo's execs to take pay cuts.

You either want a Wii U or you don't. The Wii U is a better deal at the $300 price point than the Wii ever was at the $250 price point. There are reasons beyond pricing that are keeping the Wii U from selling. A price cut would only provide a temporary boost in sales from fence-sitters, and then the console would continue to not sell. It is destined to lose Nintendo a lot of money, unless Nintendo can figure out a way to make kids want the system more than they want a PS4.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 musicalmac  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

You either want a Wii U or you don't. The Wii U is a better deal at the $300 price point than the Wii ever was at the $250 price point. There are reasons beyond pricing that are keeping the Wii U from selling. A price cut would only provide a temporary boost in sales from fence-sitters, and then the console would continue to not sell. It is destined to lose Nintendo a lot of money, unless Nintendo can figure out a way to make kids want the system more than they want a PS4.

I won't pretend to know the future, so I'll have to defer to you and your infinite wisdom.

From a few fans on the board, I can only conclude that the Wii U is doomed. D00MED.

What's ironic is that MS and Sony are doing a good job of making it look appealing, instead of completely, consistently disappointing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#71 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@ladyblue said:

Metroid open world rpg where Samus get's to be a real bounty hunter.

Nice call!!

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@ladyblue said:

Nice call!!

I don't know if you're being sarcastic... but I think it could be an interesting take on the Metroid series.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@musicalmac said:

I won't pretend to know the future, so I'll have to defer to you and your infinite wisdom.

From a few fans on the board, I can only conclude that the Wii U is doomed. D00MED.

What's ironic is that MS and Sony are doing a good job of making it look appealing, instead of completely, consistently disappointing.

I think the Xbone is in worse shape than the Wii U, honestly. It's sales continue to get worse every month, and Microsoft is responding with a $100 price drop after only 7 months on the market. What is appealing about a $400 console with worse graphics and a worse first party than the $400 console right next to it on the shelf?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46230 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think the Xbone is in worse shape than the Wii U, honestly. It's sales continue to get worse every month, and Microsoft is responding with a $100 price drop after only 7 months on the market. What is appealing about a $400 console with worse graphics and a worse first party than the $400 console right next to it on the shelf?

Haloz and Gearses ?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cainetao11

@ladyblue said:

@cainetao11 said:

@ladyblue said:

Nice call!!

I don't know if you're being sarcastic... but I think it could be an interesting take on the Metroid series.

No totally sincere. I love Metroid. Owned the triple pack on Wii. I think that idea is great.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By cainetao11

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS3 dropped price only 7 months on market. Nothing new in the console industry. You really think majority of the consumer public look into what the graphics cards can do, or know what first party means? They want to play COD, Madden, Elder Scrolls, Batman. They'll see that Both consoles have them and assume they are the same. PS4 will sell more, but your acting like everyone assesses value the way you do.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@musicalmac said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Sheep said the same thing when the wii u was 350 then Nintendo dropped the price and made bundles. So pardon me if I call bullshit on your post buddy.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PurpleMan5000

@cainetao11 said:

PS3 dropped price only 7 months on market. Nothing new in the console industry.

The PS3 was in terrible shape at that point. Microsoft can still turn things around, too. They are going to need to focus on first party games, similar to what Sony did with the PS3, though, and they probably won't see a return on that investment until the next console gen. This console is going to hurt Microsoft, just like the PS3 hurt Sony. Microsoft just needs to build consumer loyalty and come back strong next gen.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#79  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

They better go all out this E3, or their console days are done.

And boy, will that get worse from there on in when that happens.

You know I'm one of the biggest Nintendo defenders on this board, but even I have limits to putting up with Nintendo's crap. If they can't support the Wii U properly then maybe they should stick to handhelds. I've had the Wii U for about a good while now and while I really like the games I own for it, there's simply not enough of them as it is. They've spent entirely too much time focusing on 3DS instead of Wii U.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Uhm, the title is self-contradicting. Nintendo isn't going to E3, but hosting their own of E3 Nintendo Direct. They're going all out ... for their own special edition of Nintendo Direct.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PurpleMan5000

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@musicalmac said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Sheep said the same thing when the wii u was 350 then Nintendo dropped the price and made bundles. So pardon me if I call bullshit on your post buddy.

So the price cut worked and the Wii U is selling like hot cakes now? I thought the Wii U was still selling terribly, but that would support my earlier claim that the problem isn't really the price, so now I just don't know what to think.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#82  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

They're never going to make me "understand" the Gamepad's significance, and megaton, to me, qualifies as these things:

• A $100 price cut
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • A new Zelda that looks like the teaser from 2012
  • A new F-Zero
  • Creating an online infrastructure comparable to XBL and PSN

None of these are going to happen, so I won't get my hopes up.

I'd rather get a true sequel to the Metroid series instead of a Prime sequel. They've never gone beyond Metroid Fusion and it is way overdue for a sequel.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@musicalmac said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

So the price cut worked and the Wii U is selling like hot cakes now? I thought the Wii U was still selling terribly, but that would support my earlier claim that the problem isn't really the price, so now I just don't know what to think.

The wii u saw a sales increase of 200 percent after the 50 dollar price cut. Logic would say if the wii u price dropped to 199 dollars sales would improve at a faster rate. If Nintendo drops the pad they could easily make the 199 price point.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By LadyBlue

@cainetao11 said:

@ladyblue said:

@cainetao11 said:

@ladyblue said:

Nice call!!

No totally sincere. I love Metroid. Owned the triple pack on Wii. I think that idea is great.

Oh, good. Not that I would have a problem if you disagreed.

We've had side scrolling, fps, and pinball. Everyone genre gets a crack at it.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PurpleMan5000

@no-scope-AK47 said:

The wii u saw a sales increase of 200 percent after the 50 dollar price cut. Logic would say if the wii u price dropped to 199 dollars sales would improve at a faster rate. If Nintendo drops the pad they could easily make the 199 price point.

How much do you think the pad costs, and are you suggesting that they sell the console with no controller at all?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 no-scope-AK47

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

How much do you think the pad costs, and are you suggesting that they sell the console with no controller at all?

The wii u has the pro as the secondary option they should make it the primary option.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LadyBlue

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Not only that, but you can't fully operate the wiiu menu without one. You'd be asking them to overhaul the UI.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PurpleMan5000

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

The wii u has the pro as the secondary option they should make it the primary option.

The pro isn't as good as the tablet, though. Are people really going to go for a worse SKU for $50 less? Haven't they already proven that they won't with the white Wii U vs the black one? There is a bigger difference between the controllers than there is between 8 GB of storage vs 32 GB, too.

I think Nintendo should focus on ways to make the Wii U better than it currently is, and market it. It is already substantially cheaper than any other current gen console. People are not buying it because it is perceived to be much worse than the competition. I don't think a price cut will give them any kind of sustained success.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I'm not sure I agree. Nintendo is literally bleeding money, and makes MS look secure financially. Nintendo doesn't have the ecosystem MS has, not even close.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 nintendoboy16

@Bigboi500 said:

You know I'm one of the biggest Nintendo defenders on this board, but even I have limits to putting up with Nintendo's crap. If they can't support the Wii U properly then maybe they should stick to handhelds. I've had the Wii U for about a good while now and while I really like the games I own for it, there's simply not enough of them as it is. They've spent entirely too much time focusing on 3DS instead of Wii U.

And, judging by the recent losses, do you really think that sticking to just handhelds is an any better move?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

The pro isn't as good as the tablet, though.

Are you mad?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Bigboi500

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

And, judging by the recent losses, do you really think that sticking to just handhelds is an any better move?

In the event they can't start selling more Wii U's and increasing production of quality games of it, then yes, it would be a better move for them to just focus on handhelds.

What do you think Nintendo should be doing?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@Chozofication said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Are you mad?

No. The pro is a pretty good controller, too, but the tablet is the best controller on any console. It's better than the pro in every way but battery life. The pro has it beat handily in that department.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Bigboi500 said:

In the event they can't start selling more Wii U's and increasing production of quality games of it, then yes, it would be a better move for them to just focus on handhelds.

They need their console business. Once that is gone ANY trust by Nintendo fans is dead in the water. Shot in the head with a Desert Eagle. Not even the next handheld would save them from that backlash.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

excited!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

They need their console business. Once that is gone ANY trust by Nintendo fans is dead in the water. Shot in the head with a Desert Eagle. Not even the next handheld would save them from that backlash.

I really like the idea of Nintendo just creating a hybrid and developing all of their games for a single platform.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#97 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Chozofication said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Are you mad?

No. The pro is a pretty good controller, too, but the tablet is the best controller on any console. It's better than the pro in every way but battery life. The pro has it beat handily in that department.

It's bulky and clunky as ****. The grips are horrible, I can't fathom why anyone would like it so much.

Now if they shrunk it down and made it more comfortable it'd be pretty good, I think they made the screen too big, a big screen needs a lot of space. A vita sized screen would be perfect I think.

And yeah, it's 3 hours of battery life vs. 80. The pro has the best battery life of any controller ever.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Bigboi500

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Just saying they need their console business isn't an answer. I'm asking what you think Nintendo needs to do to be competitive with their console?

I also don't buy the backlash angle. Fans will support what they like, and not what they don't. If what you said were true, more fans would be supporting Wii U but they're not. They are supporting the 3DS though, because it gives them more of what they want.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 no-scope-AK47

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

The pro isn't as good as the tablet, though. Are people really going to go for a worse SKU for $50 less? Haven't they already proven that they won't with the white Wii U vs the black one? There is a bigger difference between the controllers than there is between 8 GB of storage vs 32 GB, too.

I think Nintendo should focus on ways to make the Wii U better than it currently is, and market it. It is already substantially cheaper than any other current gen console. People are not buying it because it is perceived to be much worse than the competition. I don't think a price cut will give them any kind of sustained success.

Nintendo reworks the UI and drops the tablet. The tablet cost 150 bucks for a replacement and only supports one plus uses memory and gpu power. Nintendo could also include a hard drive that is cheaper than the 32gb of memory but has much more space. Bingo 200 dollar wii u sales go up everybody happy.

If sales of the wii u went up 200 percent after the 50 dollar price drop a conservative estimate would put wii u sales at 300 percent. As for the online gaming that needs a upgrade cause it's at ps2 level from what I hear.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 nintendoboy16

@Bigboi500 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Just saying they need their console business isn't an answer. I'm asking what you think Nintendo needs to do to be competitive with their console?

I also don't buy the backlash angle. Fans will support what they like, and not what they don't. If what you said were true, more fans would be supporting Wii U but they're not. They are supporting the 3DS though, because it gives them more of what they want.

If the 3DS is really giving what they want, why was it underperforming in sales last FY and for that matter, why is this year being regarded as a SLOW year for the system?

It may not rectify the problem, but like I was saying to mac. Just advertise it better with the right games and it stays in the market. Because there's no hope of it getting in higher ranks than PS4/XBONE at this point.