It's time to jump on the hype train, Nintendo's biggest Switch Exclusive Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is coming!!!

• 134 results
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#101 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@davillain- said:

Sorry for the lack of feedback, I been really busy at work and shopping Christmas goodies. But anyways, here's my impression so far.

Using my Pro Controller, the physics engine works just fine, but getting used to the game was hard at first but overtime, easy to master. Spirits mode is...ok. There's a decent amount of variety to it, but it seems more a measure of stats and repetition than actual skill. Many of the battles are more or less unwinnable through skill alone. (just try unlocking The Boss without a spirit equipped. try it) HD versions of existing stages look good. Omega and BF forms of stages are thematically appropriate and most of them don't look awkward. Playing online has been very hit or a miss. Usually it seems pretty decent, but from time to time there are bad slow downs mid-match. Online's decently better than Smash 4 to say the least. The rundown:

The Good:

• Physics feel much better than Smash 4 after adjusting. Every character has a decent foxtrot at worst and being able to do grounded normals out of run is great. The game is overall more faster and aggressive due to all the changes. It takes a while to get used to the new engine though.
  • Landing lag reductions are a godsend for some characters.
  • 3-frame jumpsquat really feels like your character teleport to their full hop height.
  • Newcomers and the returning veterans are very fun to play.
  • Squad Strike is awesome. One of the best new modes introduced in a Smash game.
  • The vast amount of stages in tandem with hazard toggle and omega Battlefield forms makes it so you have plenty of stages to enjoy.
  • Saved rulesets are a good QoL change.
  • It's fun to switch between different languages.
  • Training Mode is more fleshed out, though it could still use some improvements.
  • Visuals are great.
  • Smash stick seems to no longer halt your momentum if you hold the stick while performing an aerial.

The Bad:

• First couple of Classic Mode playthroughs are fun, but it quickly becomes very monotonous.
  • No option to change languages while keeping the text as English. It's not the biggest deal since you'll probably memorize the entire menu quickly, but it'd help to keep the text as English.
  • Lack of a boss rush mode.

And the ugly, the Online: (Where do I begin?)

• Much more variety in stage options since you can set Battlefield omegas or hazardless stages to your preferred ruleset.
  • Lobbies are neat. You can create arenas, join your friend's arenas, or even random people. I think this is a more consistent way to find 1v1s.
  • While waiting for Quickplay matches, you can play with your character in training mode. Pretty useful to quickly warm up before a match.
  • Why. Why are we forced to stay in a quickplay match that we don't want to play? It's super annoying to try and find a 1v1 and be stuck in a FFA.
  • While playing quickplay, you can't seem to change your character. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. It sucks when you're fighting a decent opponent, but you might be stuck with a bad matchup.

All in all, I'm having a blast so far. Reminds me of how Melee felt when I first played it ages ago and for Ultimate, I rate it a 8/10 after playing it for myself.

And one more thing. My copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came with it's Special Edition I order from Amazon and I meant to post it yesterday lol.

the adventure mode in brawl was never about skill either. its about a whole bunch of crazy bullshit and doing what you have to do to get through it.

yea i see if you want japanese voice with english text it would be nice if they patched that.

classic mode is a mode from the n64. which was basically used as a way to unlock characters and thats it. its not supposed to be the meat of the game at all. just a nostalgia throwback to fight master hand at the end.

the online:

yea, if i want to play 4vs4 then i dont want to be thrown into a 1vs1. its pretty annoying but it forces you to play all modes so i guess it makes you a better player in the end?

i think after you finish A match and you vote to rematch they should let you choose a new character if you want. however, they did this so that matches start quickly without anyone taking a long ass time choosing their character.

my complaints?

the 30sec record feature doesnt work on this game. when you press the capture button on the controller. i know they have full replays and editor mode. but would be nice to have the 30sec capture feature also.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Ok boys, what is the fastest method to unlock characters? I read on multiple sites you can stamina to 10 hp, play a vs and it should prompt a newcomer and after it’s done it’s 10 minute timer until the next one but reser the game and it bypasses thar. I can’t get a newcomer at all...any ideas?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

@n64dd said:

Ok boys, what is the fastest method to unlock characters? I read on multiple sites you can stamina to 10 hp, play a vs and it should prompt a newcomer and after it’s done it’s 10 minute timer until the next one but reser the game and it bypasses thar. I can’t get a newcomer at all...any ideas?

Try this: How to unlock all characters quickly in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I already try this & this makes it easy for me that is.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I have been playing the game all day, and the single player mode World of Light is a TON of fun to play! (Do not play it on hard or you will be stuck in it for a very long time) I had to dial it down to normal just to get a bit further in. (Beating 5 Marios on hard can be a bit much)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#105 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

Played for a few hours today and having a great time with the game. Played a bunch of online matches and with the odd laggy one most of the games have been quite good. Played a bit of World of Light and finding it pretty fun. I really enjoying unlocking characters and stuff in this game and there’s a ton of that in this game. Very nice selection of modes as well.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 KBFloYd

i just noticed they put skill based matchmaking in the game.

im pretty sure old smash games never had that. i found it odd that i was actually winning a match or two. in old smash games i never won 1vs1's.

the ranking is the global smash power. i have about 4,000 and i check and all my opponents are around the same level. an odd 60,000 70,000 here and there.

if you check spectate you see that the global smash power of the opponents are around equal.

this is pretty cool for noobs like me.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#107 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

I played 8-man smash yesterday and wow it was just madness. Also you can unlock characters just by playing the multiplayer which is cool.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#108 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts

@n64dd: We played local multiplayer games and we would get a challenger every so many games. Not sure exactly.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

For anyone trying to unlock fast. After playing for awhile, do a multi-player game..stamina match set to 10. Hit them first to knock them out. New challenger appears. Beat them, after it says they’re added....exit the game through the home menu, restart and repeat this process. The game has 10 minute timer when stuff can be unlocked. Exiting the game and restarting resets the timer.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@claireredfield said:

The hype for this game flat lined, no one is talking about it anywhere.

That's because most people that bought the game are now playing it and enjoying it outdoors with their friends. There's not much time for Gamespot when an addicting game with a strong social appeal comes around.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 jaydan

@claireredfield said:
@jaydan said:
@claireredfield said:

That's because most people that bought the game are now playing it and enjoying it outdoors with their friends. There's not much time for Gamespot when an addicting game with a strong social appeal comes around.

Playing a new game doesn't stop people from posting, if anything discussion increases. No one is talking about this game, Nintendo set the bar too high with their ridiculous brute force marketing and now that it's out, total silence.

You're wrong.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DaVillain  Moderator

@claireredfield said:
@jaydan said:
@claireredfield said:

Playing a new game doesn't stop people from posting, if anything discussion increases. No one is talking about this game, Nintendo set the bar too high with their ridiculous brute force marketing and now that it's out, total silence.

What do you mean no one isn't talking about SSB Ultimate? That's what this thread is for, everyone is posting their opinions on it. If you are referring to media gaming that is, SSB Ultimate launch a day after The Games Awards which is somewhat shadowing Ultimate but still, this is Switch strongest AAA title and trust me, there's hype, not the type of hype you expect.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Archangel3371

@claireredfield: I get the impression that you have no clue what you’re talking about.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 DaVillain  Moderator

@claireredfield said:

Three day old thread and 115 posts, nuff said.

LOL I hope you're trolling, cause there's plenty of discussion in this thread. And we have more threads outside of this one who have different discussion on the game itself.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 jaydan

@claireredfield said:
@davillain- said:
@claireredfield said:
@jaydan said:
@claireredfield said:

What do you mean no one isn't talking about SSB Ultimate? That's what this thread is for, everyone is posting their opinions on it. If you are referring to media gaming that is, SSB Ultimate launch a day after The Games Awards which is somewhat shadowing Ultimate but still, this is Switch strongest AAA title and trust me, there's hype, not the type of hype you expect.

I think you're trolling. The game has barely even been out for a day and yet you're already making posts saying the hype died. We don't base popularity on games over the amount of threads that get made on them. Last I checked Smash Bros. was making record-breaking pre-orders for the Switch console, so it won't have trouble at all making residual sales from here on out.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By jaydan

@davillain- said:
@claireredfield said:

LOL I hope you're trolling, cause there's plenty of discussion in this thread. And we have more threads outside of this one who have different discussion on the game itself.

Another variable to consider is Friday was a rich day for pop-culture/entertainment news. The much anticipated Avengers Endgame trailer finally dropped, and VGA's as a whole with lots of game announcements was a thing. There was plenty of Smash Bros. talk going on yesterday, but it was also a sum of a lot of other things to talk about too.

Why you probably don't see a million threads of it either compared to the next big AAA adventure game: it's fucking Smash Bros. It's not reinventing the wheel or anything like that. It might be the most fine-tuned Smash Bros. game to date, but everyone here already knows what the franchise is all about. There really is not much incentive to make endless posts about the game making updates after completing portions of the game as much as people just want to play it.

I don't think any of these reasons are justifiable to say the hype is dead. People are playing the shit out of it and knowing how passionate the Smash community is, that's not going to die out any time soon (although maybe fewer threads but who cares).

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

The guy is obviously trolling, but just to end this pointless discussion:

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Techhog89
@claireredfield said:
@techhog89 said:

Twitch viewers doesn't equate to conversation and activity son. Sea of Thieves was in front of Fortnite when it released, think about that.

Source please.

EDIT: Okay, point taken... except for one thing: We're talking about if hype is dead now. Hype wasn't dead for Sea of Thieves back then. So, my point stands. And you're still just a troll either way.

At least I hope you are. Can you imagine being a fanboy of what looks like it'll be the second most successful home console ever made but still being salty over the success of other consoles? That would be the saddest thing I've ever heard.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 KBFloYd

@claireredfield said:

i think this is a doc sanchez alt....poor guy lol

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18250 Posts

Ok, so i got this on Friday night and got to play with my cousins for several hours ... man, it was soooo fun, the music, man the music is just amazing ... we went for several minutes just hearing the beautiful arrengments on some classic tunes, the Castlevania tracks are incredible, the Street Fighter ones have so much nostalgia ... everything is just amazing.

The game itself is very interesting ... it definitely takes a while to get used to so many chaotics things and the new engine but after some matches everything start to makes sense.

We were also playing a few more hours this morning, Classic mode is fun and honestly, i don't mind having to play a lot to unlock characters, i'm actually kind of enjoying it.

Anyway, great great game ... can't wait to keep playing it for many weeks from now.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 KBFloYd

here is a unlocking trick. best ive seen

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#128 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

The content in this game embarrasses other fighting games.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Techhog89
@claireredfield said:
@techhog89 said:
@claireredfield said:
@techhog89 said:

Twitch viewers doesn't equate to conversation and activity son. Sea of Thieves was in front of Fortnite when it released, think about that.

Source please.

March 2018Peak Viewers256,786

That's not a source. And way to cut out the rest of the post lol

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

The lag is annoying.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 KBFloYd

@gameofthering said:

The lag is annoying.

if you have it on 90% of your matches then its you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#134 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@KBFloYd: I haven't encountered any significant lag other than the opening seconds of a few matches.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#135 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@claireredfield: Except you're talking about the game right now, checkmate!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Archangel3371

This game is just so freaking good and jam packed with content. It really makes me wonder just how exactly are they going to approach the making of the next game.