Sorry for the lack of feedback, I been really busy at work and shopping Christmas goodies. But anyways, here's my impression so far.
Using my Pro Controller, the physics engine works just fine, but getting used to the game was hard at first but overtime, easy to master. Spirits mode is...ok. There's a decent amount of variety to it, but it seems more a measure of stats and repetition than actual skill. Many of the battles are more or less unwinnable through skill alone. (just try unlocking The Boss without a spirit equipped. try it) HD versions of existing stages look good. Omega and BF forms of stages are thematically appropriate and most of them don't look awkward. Playing online has been very hit or a miss. Usually it seems pretty decent, but from time to time there are bad slow downs mid-match. Online's decently better than Smash 4 to say the least. The rundown:
- Physics feel much better than Smash 4 after adjusting. Every character has a decent foxtrot at worst and being able to do grounded normals out of run is great. The game is overall more faster and aggressive due to all the changes. It takes a while to get used to the new engine though.
- Landing lag reductions are a godsend for some characters.
- 3-frame jumpsquat really feels like your character teleport to their full hop height.
- Newcomers and the returning veterans are very fun to play.
- Squad Strike is awesome. One of the best new modes introduced in a Smash game.
- The vast amount of stages in tandem with hazard toggle and omega Battlefield forms makes it so you have plenty of stages to enjoy.
- Saved rulesets are a good QoL change.
- It's fun to switch between different languages.
- Training Mode is more fleshed out, though it could still use some improvements.
- Visuals are great.
- Smash stick seems to no longer halt your momentum if you hold the stick while performing an aerial.
- First couple of Classic Mode playthroughs are fun, but it quickly becomes very monotonous.
- No option to change languages while keeping the text as English. It's not the biggest deal since you'll probably memorize the entire menu quickly, but it'd help to keep the text as English.
- Lack of a boss rush mode.
And the ugly, the Online: (Where do I begin?)
- Much more variety in stage options since you can set Battlefield omegas or hazardless stages to your preferred ruleset.
- Lobbies are neat. You can create arenas, join your friend's arenas, or even random people. I think this is a more consistent way to find 1v1s.
- While waiting for Quickplay matches, you can play with your character in training mode. Pretty useful to quickly warm up before a match.
- Why. Why are we forced to stay in a quickplay match that we don't want to play? It's super annoying to try and find a 1v1 and be stuck in a FFA.
- While playing quickplay, you can't seem to change your character. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. It sucks when you're fighting a decent opponent, but you might be stuck with a bad matchup.
All in all, I'm having a blast so far. Reminds me of how Melee felt when I first played it ages ago and for Ultimate, I rate it a 8/10 after playing it for myself.
And one more thing. My copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came with it's Special Edition I order from Amazon and I meant to post it yesterday lol.
the adventure mode in brawl was never about skill either. its about a whole bunch of crazy bullshit and doing what you have to do to get through it.
yea i see if you want japanese voice with english text it would be nice if they patched that.
classic mode is a mode from the n64. which was basically used as a way to unlock characters and thats it. its not supposed to be the meat of the game at all. just a nostalgia throwback to fight master hand at the end.
yea, if i want to play 4vs4 then i dont want to be thrown into a 1vs1. its pretty annoying but it forces you to play all modes so i guess it makes you a better player in the end?
i think after you finish A match and you vote to rematch they should let you choose a new character if you want. however, they did this so that matches start quickly without anyone taking a long ass time choosing their character.
the 30sec record feature doesnt work on this game. when you press the capture button on the controller. i know they have full replays and editor mode. but would be nice to have the 30sec capture feature also.