It's time to jump on the hype train, Nintendo's biggest Switch Exclusive Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is coming!!!

• 134 results
#51 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (18719 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

check out this vid of wiiU switch back to back graphics

Loading Video...

Am I seeing Nintendo using PhysX on Ultimate?

#52 Edited by svaubel (4099 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

First time Ive seen a side by side comparison. I knew Ultimate looked better, but I didn't know that much better! Way better textures and lighting. Im guessing GS will give the game a 9. My personal hype is 10 though

#53 Posted by Techhog89 (3109 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas: By your definition, there hasn't been a new Smash game since the original.

#54 Edited by scatteh316 (9956 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

Lmfao!!! Look how bad the fur downgrade is on DK in Switch version compared to Wii U.....

And in some instances the Wii U version looks better..........

Character geometry doesn't look a generation better on Switch...... It looks the same..

It's basically the same amount of effort the first 3 Uncharted games received in the Nathan Drake collection.

#55 Posted by Litchie (22670 posts) -
@scatteh316 said:
@KBFloYd said:

Look how bad the fur downgrade is on DK in Switch version compared to Wii U.....

Yeah, I noticed that too. Weird..

Switch version looks brighter and more colorful with more details in most cases though. A bit better lighting. To act like the difference is huge between Wii U and Switch is pretty silly, though.

#56 Posted by Sgt_Crow (5957 posts) -
@Litchie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@KBFloYd said:

Look how bad the fur downgrade is on DK in Switch version compared to Wii U.....

Switch version looks brighter and more colorful with more details in most cases though. A bit better lighting. To act like the difference is huge between Wii U and Switch is pretty silly, though.

Not huge, but substantial. The lighting is massively improved, the textures received an upgrade all around, character models and stages have improved animations (look at Fox' fingers and the flags at Castle Siege to just name two) and completely redone geometry (Bridge of Eldin) . Donkey Kong's fur striked me as a downgrade as well, but it might be a design choice. Furthermore, the fur in the Wii U version was pretty bad to begin with so I might actually like his new look more.

Besides DK, the Switch versions looks substantially better in every area.

#57 Edited by scatteh316 (9956 posts) -
@Sgt_Crow said:
@Litchie said:
@scatteh316 said:
@KBFloYd said:

Not huge, but substantial. The lighting is massively improved, the textures received an upgrade all around, character models and stages have improved animations (look at Fox' fingers and the flags at Castle Siege to just name two) and completely redone geometry (Bridge of Eldin) . Donkey Kong's fur striked me as a downgrade as well, but it might be a design choice. Furthermore, the fur in the Wii U version was pretty bad to begin with so I might actually like his new look more.

Besides DK, the Switch versions looks substantially better in every area.

No in every area.....

2:22 - That arena barely looks any better, lighting is better but the geometry and asset quality look the same.

1:39 - The Wii U textures just look to have more detail and resolution.

#58 Posted by DaVillain- (33063 posts) -

@svaubel said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

First time Ive seen a side by side comparison. I knew Ultimate looked better, but I didn't know that much better! Way better textures and lighting. Im guessing GS will give the game a 9. My personal hype is 10 though

Same here. I knew already knew SSB Ultimate would be using the Switch engine but I had no idea the comparison between Wii U & Switch would be this noticeable. Despite I see DK isn't all furry from the Wii U counterpart but at the same time, I wouldn't even notice that much since all I'll be doing is fighting and trying to survive anyways.

I do hope Digital Foundry does their own comparison down the road.

@scatteh316 said:

No in every area.....

2:22 - That arena barely looks any better, lighting is better but the geometry and asset quality look the same.

1:39 - The Wii U textures just look to have more detail and resolution.

The only thing I can say is that I like the background on Switch much better then the Wii U counterpart but I do notice DK's fur isn't all fuzzy but I don't mind it, until I play the game for myself, I don't think it'll be all noticeable.

#59 Posted by DaVillain- (33063 posts) -

Updated the OP and Gamespot is tracking at a 9/10 in Review in progress 9/10

#60 Posted by BlackBalls (932 posts) -

94% so far, it'll end up with 92-93%. Third highest rated this year.

#61 Edited by Planeforger (17827 posts) -

Well, hype met.

Time to finish the day 1 patch - I'll start playing...now. Huh, small patch.

*edit* Also, bugger midnight releases on Thursday nights.

#62 Posted by Archangel3371 (26466 posts) -

Looks like the game will be getting a 9 here at GameSpot and it’s getting excellent reviews everywhere else. Man this is going to be a long day waiting for tomorrow.

#63 Posted by scatteh316 (9956 posts) -

And there's that Nintendo bias...

THE GOOD

Refined fighting system remains both accessible and complex

Incredibly large and diverse character roster

Numerous quality-of-life improvements, both technical and superficial

Single-player content is plentiful and engaging

A number of entertaining multiplayer modes

Immense library of iconic video game music

Packed with loving homages and fan service

Everyone is here

Really? Positive points covering the same point? Lmfao!

#64 Posted by Planeforger (17827 posts) -

I've played a bit of it now. It's great, but the sheer number of modes and options is a bit overwhelming for my tired brain.

I can see myself putting many, many hours into collecting and levelling up all of the spirits in the game.

The game is a celebration of videogame history, and a rock-solid fighting game to boot. I hope it does very well this holiday season.

#65 Posted by BlackBalls (932 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

Well, hype met.

Time to finish the day 1 patch - I'll start playing...now. Huh, small patch.

*edit* Also, bugger midnight releases on Thursday nights.

Smash is a pretty consistent franchise, can't see it ever scoring less than 9.

#66 Posted by Archangel3371 (26466 posts) -

@Planeforger: I won’t lie, I’m a bit jealous of you right now. :P

#67 Posted by DaVillain- (33063 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@Planeforger: I won’t lie, I’m a bit jealous of you right now. :P

My copy from Amazon just arrived 20 minutes ago. Always shop with Amazon, those guys hardly ever let me down ^-^

I'll give my impressions within 2 hours.

#68 Posted by Archangel3371 (26466 posts) -

@davillain-: Well I hope that you enjoy it. *grits teeth* Grrrrrr

#69 Edited by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

I got lucky with the delivery too, might not make it into work tomorrow... 😬

#70 Posted by Archangel3371 (26466 posts) -

@mandzilla: You guys are killing me here. :P

You got the Collector’s Edition. Very nice.

#71 Posted by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

@Archangel3371: Your time will come soon my friend. And yes, I just couldn't resist. :)

#72 Posted by Pedro (32147 posts) -

These games does nothing for me but I am glad gamers are excited.

#73 Edited by ermacness (7966 posts) -

@Archangel3371:

Tell me about it, and I call myself having a smash party on the following day (Saturday). It's a great thing that I have BFV to get me through today lol.

#74 Posted by Archangel3371 (26466 posts) -

@mandzilla: Oh yeah and I’m very much looking forward to it. I am really enjoying seeing you guys all hyped and getting your hands on the game already. Hope you all have a great time. 😁👍

#75 Posted by Archangel3371 (26466 posts) -

@ermacness: Yeah I know what I’ll be doing all this weekend as well.

#76 Edited by speedytimsi (715 posts) -

This is easily a 10/10

The only reason they'll give it a 9/10 is because of the Nintendo Switch online junk. I reckon that their flimsy servers will crash 10 minutes after release which causes online matchmaking to be disabled.

#77 Posted by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

@Archangel3371: Thanks mate, you are a kind soul so I'll spare your life on the Smash battlefield! 👍🏻

#78 Edited by DaVillain- (33063 posts) -

@Pedro said:

These games does nothing for me but I am glad gamers are excited.

You don't like Fighting games Pedro?

I love Fighting games but Super Smash Bros series is a unique fighting game I totally adore.

#79 Posted by Chutebox (44056 posts) -

Am I the only one who really dislikes a number on a "review in progress"? I mean, I dig the review in progress. Let people know how you like it so far, etc. But a number?

#80 Posted by Zidaneski (8733 posts) -

Dang the game sounds awesome but has a lot of redundant content and tedious grinding. I still think I will enjoy so I'm currently trying to figure what's the best deal on a switch with this game.

#82 Posted by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

Okay this game is awesome! You only start out with about Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox and Pikachu, so you have to unlock the rest. But the amount of content feels almost overwhelming!

The music player is one of the best things ever, can listen to MGS, Castlevania, Splatoon, Pikmin, Sonic, Pokemon, Final Fantasy series songs like an oversized Ipod. There's about 800 tracks to enjoy while playing, or with the Switch in sleep mode. Can even make your own playlists.

#83 Posted by Sam3231 (2517 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

Okay this game is awesome! You only start out with about Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox and Pikachu, so you have to unlock the rest. But the amount of content feels almost overwhelming!

The music player is one of the best things ever, can listen to MGS, Castlevania, Splatoon, Pikmin, Sonic, Pokemon, Final Fantasy series songs like an oversized Ipod. There's about 800 tracks to enjoy while playing, or with the Switch in sleep mode. Can even make your own playlists.

Damn, can you unlock people by playing multiplayer?

#84 Edited by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

@Sam3231: I imagine so, haven't tested it out yet as I just assumed the online mode wouldn't launch until release day. You can't redeem Nintendo gold points for the cartridge yet either.

#85 Posted by Sam3231 (2517 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

@Sam3231: I imagine so, haven't tested it out yet as I just assumed the online mode wouldn't launch until release day. You can't redeem Nintendo gold points on it yet either.

Well I will be trying local multis tommorow so I guess I'll have my answer then.

#86 Posted by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

@Sam3231: Yep, sorry dude I would have tested it out for you but I'm home alone atm and my dog is a terrible player.

#87 Posted by Planeforger (17827 posts) -

@Sam3231: I unlocked someone last night just playing a multiplayer match against the AI.

I also unlocked someone by playing the singleplayer, so maybe you just unlock people by *playing* anything (as long as you can beat the new challenger to unlock them).

#88 Edited by Sam3231 (2517 posts) -

@Planeforger: Oh cool. Yeah I remember unlocking every thing tended to be quite a grind back in the day with Smash. Seeing this is the ultimate edition I really can't imagine how long it would take for every single character and stage lol.

#89 Posted by Mandzilla (2166 posts) -

Actually prefer having to unlock the roster in Smash as it gives you something to work towards. Mario Kart should have went a similar route rather than giving you access to all the characters up front.

#90 Edited by gameofthering (11224 posts) -

I canceled my copy early this week due to actually being skint for once.

May buy it tomorrow since it's pay day.

#91 Posted by DocSanchez (4924 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:
@DocSanchez said:

Nintendo uses tracing paper over last game, people get excited. Rinse and repeat.

you mad?

defending that piece of shit dreams game from sony?

and we are supposed to take your critizism seriously on a masterpiece like smash ultimate?

Loading Video...

I think we both know which one of us is upset. One ignores the other. The other responds to alllllllll my posts. Oh dear. You made yourself all flustered again.

#92 Edited by superbuuman (6367 posts) -

Got it this morning but was unwell..so slept nearly the entire day..better now. :P

#93 Posted by MonsieurX (38394 posts) -

Currently sitting at 93 MC with 37 reviews

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/super-smash-bros-ultimate

#94 Posted by Planeforger (17827 posts) -

Ye gods, this game has a ridiculous amount of content.

Besides the million different fighting options, the adventure mode seems like it'll take a long time to clear, the spirit board mode is a fantastic way to kill a few hours at a time (those spirit fights get *weird*, and super nostalgic for obscure 15 year old games), classic mode is worth playing for the unique paths and surprise character-specific bosses, and there's tons of other modes on offer.

The online seems solid, too. I like that you take people's player tags as trophies when you beat them (and yes, my player tag picture is that asshole gravity boss from the GBA game Metroid Fusion, because of course that's an option).

There are so many unlockables as well - not just the ~60 characters to unlock, and the many hundreds of spirits to unlock, but also a huge challenge board to attempt, soundtrack options to go for, and levelled-up versions of some spirits (I've just upgraded Tsubasa Oribe into her battle form, because...why wouldn't the game reference Tokyo Mirage Sessions).

Finally, I really love that they use the huge character list, movesets, item list, soundtrack options, and rules options to try to replicate all of the characters that they reference. So the Megaman bosses all look and play similarly to their counterparts, and [obscure character] had a plot appropriate sidekick, and so on.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff. I wouldn't give it a 10/10 just yet, but I do think it's approaching my GOTY.

#95 Posted by jaydan (1664 posts) -

How are you guys playing the game so far?

Every new Smash game I insist on playing it the Classic way, and playing to get the "Challenger Approaching" notifications. It's a lot of fun because the "Challenger Approaching" happens pretty frequent and I get to watch the roster continue to grow.

#96 Posted by KBFloYd (21075 posts) -

this game has a sony vegas editor built in

Loading Video...

#97 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78857 posts) -
@mandzilla said:

Actually prefer having to unlock the roster in Smash as it gives you something to work towards. Mario Kart should have went a similar route rather than giving you access to all the characters up front.

This. I enjoy having to unlock stuff, cuz, you know, progress. Progress always makes games feel more satisfying.

#98 Posted by Planeforger (17827 posts) -

@jaydan: I started with Adventure mode, drifted to the Spirit Board quite a bit, and dive into Classic mode whenever I unlock someone I'm interested in.

So far, I'm loving King K Rool. Ridley is a bit disappointing - I haven't quite figured out what he's good at.

#99 Posted by DaVillain- (33063 posts) -

Sorry for the lack of feedback, I been really busy at work and shopping Christmas goodies. But anyways, here's my impression so far.

Using my Pro Controller, the physics engine works just fine, but getting used to the game was hard at first but overtime, easy to master. Spirits mode is...ok. There's a decent amount of variety to it, but it seems more a measure of stats and repetition than actual skill. Many of the battles are more or less unwinnable through skill alone. (just try unlocking The Boss without a spirit equipped. try it) HD versions of existing stages look good. Omega and BF forms of stages are thematically appropriate and most of them don't look awkward. Playing online has been very hit or a miss. Usually it seems pretty decent, but from time to time there are bad slow downs mid-match. Online's decently better than Smash 4 to say the least. The rundown:

The Good:

• Physics feel much better than Smash 4 after adjusting. Every character has a decent foxtrot at worst and being able to do grounded normals out of run is great. The game is overall more faster and aggressive due to all the changes. It takes a while to get used to the new engine though.
  • Landing lag reductions are a godsend for some characters.
  • 3-frame jumpsquat really feels like your character teleport to their full hop height.
  • Newcomers and the returning veterans are very fun to play.
  • Squad Strike is awesome. One of the best new modes introduced in a Smash game.
  • The vast amount of stages in tandem with hazard toggle and omega Battlefield forms makes it so you have plenty of stages to enjoy.
  • Saved rulesets are a good QoL change.
  • It's fun to switch between different languages.
  • Training Mode is more fleshed out, though it could still use some improvements.
  • Visuals are great.
  • Smash stick seems to no longer halt your momentum if you hold the stick while performing an aerial.

The Bad:

• First couple of Classic Mode playthroughs are fun, but it quickly becomes very monotonous.
  • No option to change languages while keeping the text as English. It's not the biggest deal since you'll probably memorize the entire menu quickly, but it'd help to keep the text as English.
  • Lack of a boss rush mode.

And the ugly, the Online: (Where do I begin?)

• Much more variety in stage options since you can set Battlefield omegas or hazardless stages to your preferred ruleset.
  • Lobbies are neat. You can create arenas, join your friend's arenas, or even random people. I think this is a more consistent way to find 1v1s.
  • While waiting for Quickplay matches, you can play with your character in training mode. Pretty useful to quickly warm up before a match.
  • Why. Why are we forced to stay in a quickplay match that we don't want to play? It's super annoying to try and find a 1v1 and be stuck in a FFA.
  • While playing quickplay, you can't seem to change your character. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. It sucks when you're fighting a decent opponent, but you might be stuck with a bad matchup.

All in all, I'm having a blast so far. Reminds me of how Melee felt when I first played it ages ago and for Ultimate, I rate it a 8/10 after playing it for myself.

And one more thing. My copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate came with it's Special Edition I order from Amazon and I meant to post it yesterday lol.

#100 Posted by jaydan (1664 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

@jaydan: I started with Adventure mode, drifted to the Spirit Board quite a bit, and dive into Classic mode whenever I unlock someone I'm interested in.

So far, I'm loving King K Rool. Ridley is a bit disappointing - I haven't quite figured out what he's good at.

I have not so much delved into Adventure mode yet, but I will eventually.

I have not unlocked Ridley or King K. Rool yet.

So far I unlocked Dark Samus, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Marth, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Chrom, Pit, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Rosalina, Little Mac, Ryu, Ken, Inkling and Incineroar.

Overall I'm really digging what they did with Classic mode. Each character has a unique Classic mode playthrough and some of the setups are quite clever. Ryu, for example, his entire Classic mode is essentially a game of Street Fighter. Each battle is stamina and each level has Street Fighter music. I really love how thoughtful the game is with each character.

I really enjoy Incineroar. It's a very interesting character that took me a while to get used to but it's a load of fun. Pokemon Trainer got buffed up big-time. I feel like Pokemon Trainer can be a top tier character now.