It's pathetic it's come down to securing indies exclusivity

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I think it's pathetic that it all came down to securing exclusive or, in most cases, semi exclusive rights to games that are totally not demanding hardware wise and could be played on just about any PC. And in most cases those games had their dedicated target but now these games are overblown as if they were something bigger than they really are, like a really, really big deal. Even if they are on PC. I think it kills the spirit of being indie and turns everything into corporate cock measuring contest. Just my two cents.

FYI: I'm excited for no indies coming to consoles. I mean in a way it's a cool that some come, and I might end up playing some of them, but it's no priority for me. The only indies remotely interesting me will forever remain on PC.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5819 Posts

Totally agree

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

Certain indies are a must buy and I have all platforms so I dont care where they land as long as I can play them.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

It is indeed sad how the consoles are cannibalizing the indie games.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

They're going overboard with the indies yes.

But hey if the best indies come to consoles that's good.

Let hermits beta test the crap. (they're used to that anyway)

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Meh, as much hype as they give them and as much as idiot console gamers like the imbecile above this post likes to believe that these are somehow the best indies... they aren't.

This isn't even the tip of the iceberg of good indies exclusive to the PC platform.

Who cares. Let the consolites have the table scraps.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Great games are great games.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I dunno. In an age where the megapublishers want to start charging you to access their game demos, I think the indies deserve the spotlight they are getting. Back in the Atari, NES and SNES all of gaming was about the calibur of the indie games we get nowadays.

We might look down on these "minigames" right now, but given the right creative formula and success, these people will be the big dogs of tomorrow. While the big AAA shit wants to charge you for DLC and season passes for stuff you haven't even tried just so they can fatten their bank accounts and earn interest on your money sitting around in a statement somewhere, the substantive pick up and play games are indie.

You might balk at the spotlight they get. I mean, if you want to have the Johnnie CoD attitude towards gaming then go right on ahead. Your wallet will be sucked dry and you will be left shirtless for the homage you pay to your gods. Meanwhile, while all the new profit models and schemes are being tested on you, new gameplay and innovative worlds will be tested on us.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well... Indies need these money up front deals more than any other factions in this industry. So they sellout rather easily.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#10 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

indies are the gaming equivalent of cat memes

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'll go one step further: I think securing timed exclusives in general is pathetic and it's a practice that I wish would go away.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Wait, indie games by default play better on a PC?

The amount of ignorance people have just blows me away some times.

Also the hate indie games get around here is staggering. You guys really love your short, corridor, AAA budget shooters don't you?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

oh yeah but it makes for some fairly entertaining meltdowns.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

M$ can't keep either exclusive so I'm not sure why it matters to you.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

They're going overboard with the indies yes.

But hey if the best indies come to consoles that's good.

Let hermits beta test the crap. (they're used to that anyway)

Only the best indies aren't coming to consoles, and you guys are always in an aaa-aa slump compared to PC..... and you guys end up beta testing crap with worse version of most multiplats.

I have digital foundry and metacritic and gs to back me up, where are your links?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Very true

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I'll go one step further: I think securing timed exclusives in general is pathetic and it's a practice that I wish would go away.

+1

Timed (and third party to an extent) provides no value for the consumer.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@SolidTy said:

+1

Yeah, this 3rd Party trend is a waste of perfectly good new game and IP development money, which would ultimately result in more for gamers. :(

EDIT: This just in one day after my post.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration?

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

Spencer: "Yes, the deal has a duration." Another timed exclusive exposed. In record time I might add!

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

I completely agree

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

But indie titles aren't what "it all comes down to." The big differentiator continues to be first party support.

Increased indie support is great! It gets deserving devs more money and exposure, and gives gamers more freedom to play what they want where they want. I still play on my PC more than any other platform overall, but there have been a number of indie titles that I enjoyed more playing on my Vita, for example.

And let's not forget, the mainstream attention that some of the indie titles are getting from their console versions is the best bet we have to get the industry to wake up and see the value in new ideas, and new ways of making games.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

It seems like this is going to be a fad at gamescom on what PC games they managed to nab.

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Also the hate indie games get around here is staggering. You guys really love your short, corridor, AAA budget shooters don't you?

Could not have said it better. In my opinion, Rime despite being an indie game looked better than almost every single AAA game shown in gamescom and E3 combined.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I agree with exclusivity and over marketing.

Most of these indies were already on PC, so none of them are truly exclusive. Even so, indies are the kinds of games you want to buy AFTER you've made the decision of buying a console. I don't think anyone wants the PS4 because of a few indie ports with as much weight as smartphone games. This is the stuff you play between big budget games.

Still though, maybe the fact that the PS4 has much more indie games than Xbone, will make it more attractive? I mean in this case it's pretty much quantity AND quality in Sony's favor.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Great games are great games.

Indeed!

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@SolidTy said:

+1

Yeah, this 3rd Party trend is a waste of perfectly good new game and IP development money, which would ultimately result in more for gamers. :(

But then you realize that everyone making the decisions are people with no connection to gamers. A despicable model, in all honesty.

We need some sort of financial apocalypse soon to even out all of this greed, which is basically being caused by too much success (without consequence).

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12056 Posts

Games are games get over yourselves.

Lots of whining on the board this week.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

Might call it the Indie 500 eh? :P

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

a game's on PC and what's up? I don't play on PC nor give a single **** about the PC. So a game being on PC is not of benefit to me at all and there are millions out there that are just like me.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#30  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Might call it the Indie 500 eh? :P

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i don't waste my time and money on indie garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Wait, indie games by default play better on a PC?

I just pre ordered The Order 1886 Collectors edition. That game is gonna be the shortest, biggest budgetest, most corridoriest shooter EVER!! GOTY 2015!!!!!

But for real, System Wars is a strange place right now. Indies will have a big part in our gaming future and those that don't like it (and I don't know why you wouldn't) only have themselves to blame. The AAA budget Call of Duty's and Grand Theft Auto's pretty much destroyed the "middle class" games. Tomb Raider sold over 3 million copies and was considered a failure. Analyst were even saying the COD Ghosts sales decline compared to it's predecessors was "troubling." The game has sold well over 10 million copies. Publishers want a sure thing so going forward, we will only have huge budget, record breaking blockbusters and small budget indie titles. (and remasters of last gen games apparently) Luckily for us some of those "Indie" titles are fantastic.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shewgenja

Wanna know what's even more pathetic? Not securing jack fucking goddamn anything. Or, securing PR announcements.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:
The only indies remotely interesting me will forever remain on PC.

Spoken like a true idiot. Congrats. Derp, I don't care about the game itself, only about the system it's on. Maybe you could name a few of those games so that people can watch you lose interest when they release on another system.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@nethernova said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Spoken like a true idiot. Congrats. Derp, I don't care about the game itself, only about the system it's on. Maybe you could name a few of those games so that people can watch you lose interest when they release on another system.

Why would he (or anyone) lose interest if the game was released on any other platform? Console fighters are strange.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Weird thread, the term "indie" doesn't mean anything anymore since modern game design blurs the line when it comes to "indie" and "big budget". Also, "kill the spirit of being indie"? lol. There is no such thing as the "indie spirit". This is the same pseudo-intellectual garbage that Nintendo fanboys cling to and call "Nintendo magic" or saying a game has "heart/soul".

@Salt_The_Fries said:

lol

Oh, you're one of those people.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: salt is salty

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

why all this hate towards indie games... Like most gamers I look forward to those blockbuster AAA exclusives / multiplats however I've seen so many people complaining about lack of imagination / originality in games over the past years...

Indie games are not there to replace AAA titles, but there is room for both to co-exist.... Indie games sometimes feel like a breath of fresh air and in my opinion should be supported by us (gamers)..

Let these small companies grow and produce even more interesting titles otherwise we'll end up with just shooters and sequels for the same old franchises we've been playing for years..

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shewgenja

@nethernova said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

LOL! Ownage!

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

:S yep it's come to the point where gamers now just want AAA games constantly and then we get threads like this, I mean there was a time in gaming where we had, low level entry games middle entry level games and then the AAA games, I mean all i see Indie games now are middle entry level games, whats wrong with that. the big games are gaming, at least we have loads to play. games are games

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@Malta_1980 said:

why all this hate towards indie games...

Because the average consolite is a moron.

It's the same mentality that believes that only the "good" books are made into movies and if a book has no corresponding movie, then it's not worth reading.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

Who's securing Indie exclusive

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Welcome to the age where heavily-marketed, multiplatform, AAA blockbusters are the only (publisher-backed) games that can successfully pull in a profit, and the age of AAA exclusives are fast disappearing (especially for new consoles with such tiny install bases and misleadingly vocal fanboy minorities).

Independently produced and distributed games are becoming the new "fad" and I'm sure all the console manufacturers know they are going to be the only way to secure high quality (even if not AAA blockbuster) exclusives to make their platforms even remotely interesting to buyers. Especially in the age where consoles are trending downwards in revenue and PC and mobile games are trending upwards.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Weird thread, the term "indie" doesn't mean anything anymore since modern game design blurs the line when it comes to "indie" and "big budget". Also, "kill the spirit of being indie"? lol. There is no such thing as the "indie spirit". This is the same pseudo-intellectual garbage that Nintendo fanboys cling to and call "Nintendo magic" or saying a game has "heart/soul".

@Salt_The_Fries said:

lol

Oh, you're one of those people.

No, I am not. I'm interested in those games for what they are, not the platform they are on. They happen to be of the kind that never goes to consoles. Like Star Citizen. And not because I worship PC like you imply.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Its the over-reliance on indies that pisses me off.

Why Sony are relying on indies to sell 'teh most powerful console in the world' just doesn't make sense. Complete waste of a console

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I blame Sony for over glorifying indies for consoles. They had to though. When they started hyping indies it was a diversion so no one would notice the lack of first and third party titles.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@ddlcpc said:

Who's securing Indie exclusive

sony

they just stole dreamfall chapters

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

What I find pathetic is how much consolites despise indies and how they pretend they don't even exist