It's official: Oblivion on PS3 owns the 360 version

This topic is locked from further discussion.

watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 watchcity
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

The PS3 version of Oblivion isn't a simple port of the game either, although players who have picked up the 360 version will be very familiar with the control scheme. For one thing, the PS3 version has been optimized to take advantage of the Cell processor and hardware that the system offers. As a result, the game runs a lot faster than the 360 build. Entering dungeons or buildings results in a load of 3-5 seconds, compared to the 7-10 seconds or longer for the 360 version of the game. Similarly, the amount of framerate drops or hitches that cropped up in the wilderness as you accessed a new area on the 360 have been substantially reduced on the PS3 version. There is a plan to completely eradicate these issues as the game nears release, as well as fixing a number of bugs that were present in the other builds. Kiss the item duplication glitch goodbye.

The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat.

HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|
YellowPik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 YellowPik
Member since 2004 • 14169 Posts
You mean the game I've been playing since March? :?
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
So much for the lemmings saying the PS3 version was a downgrade. Its actually an upgrade :D
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
you do know that there will be an update for the 360 which adds many of the new things you said, like less pop up scenery and being able to see far. also I played oblivion last year, so im not interested in it again. oh and morrowind>>>>>>>oblivion
reilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 reilo
Member since 2004 • 1131 Posts
So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|HeedleGlavin
Yes, since fanboys have claimed that the PS3 version will be "teh downgrade."
adam_1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 adam_1_basic
Member since 2002 • 1154 Posts
and everyone else knows,360 version is getting a update to fix a certin things
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ps3-nikita
Member since 2005 • 2945 Posts
Let me get this straight PS3 ign preview reports better on the PS3. 1up reports issues with the PS3 version. Tough one who do I believe. Ign or 1up.
BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
So. . . IGN said the PS3 version is better when 1UP said the 360 one is superior?
Avatar image for GermanShepard06
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GermanShepard06
Member since 2006 • 3285 Posts

and everyone else knows,360 version is getting a update to fix a certin thingsadam_1_basic

windows xp:lol:

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
You mean the game I've been playing since March? :?YellowPik

And lemmings at hyping a rumor of a game that I played 10 years ago coming to the 360.
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GermanShepard06

So. . . IGN said the PS3 version is better when 1UP said the 360 one is superior?BK-Sleeper

IGN= 10

1UP = :lol:

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Aren't the draw distance and shader enhancements being patched into the 360 version?
Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts
So I need to throw my 360 away, get a PS3 and oblivion just becaus it loads a couple of seconds faster:|
Hyper-Chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hyper-Chicken
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts
Thats not what 1-up says But I NEVER listen to 1-up though. And the 360 is getting an update to get all of these features
airman20012001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 airman20012001
Member since 2002 • 344 Posts
to bad for you 360 owners will be on to something new and better while your playing a almost 2 yearold rehash of a game we've already played but by the looks of it youll be gettin used to it ghost recon anyone
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts
Yeah but people like myself lack the necessary hardware to play it so PS3 is my only option. I dont have a 360 and have highend PC-rap, so for us PS3 owners its good to know the game has been tweaked more and has less glitches
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ps3-nikita
Remind us why we should believe the PS3 channel of Ign again. Not forgetting this is the preview, that tells everyone go and buy the game. You know like they do for every game.
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|HeedleGlavin

"While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces"

i guess you're blind.
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Pale
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
Uh-oh.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

The TC has been owned brutally.

Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rougehunter
[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|SambaLele

"While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces"

i guess you're blind.

Does it still justify that I should dump everything I have done in oblvion on 360 to start fresh on a game I already own and a console I don't want
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HeedleGlavin
[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|SambaLele

i guess you're blind.

Ok. so add "better detail on the foreground" to my list. These are all graphical tweaks - do they make it a better game?
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SambaLele
So I need to throw my 360 away, get a PS3 and oblivion just becaus it loads a couple of seconds faster:|Rougehunter

and because it has more details on gfx, better draw distance, less glitches, more content...
well, no one is telling you to throw such a good console away. You can buy a great one without discarding yours :D
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Pale
[QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|Rougehunter

i guess you're blind.

Does it still justify that I should dump everything I have did in oblvion on 360 to start fresh on a game I already own and a console I don't want

No one said you had to.
watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 watchcity
you do know that there will be an update for the 360 which adds many of the new things you said, like less pop up scenery and being able to see far. also I played oblivion last year, so im not interested in it again. oh and morrowind>>>>>>>oblivionFilm-Guy
So if MGS4 comes to 360 a year after it comes to PS3, you won't think that's something good? What does it matter how long ago you've played it? 360 was out a year before PS3, obviously you got some games a lot earlier. Furthermore, yes, the PS3 version owns the 360 version, the article pretty much confirms that.
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SambaLele
[QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|HeedleGlavin

i guess you're blind.

Ok. so add "better detail on the foreground" to my list. These are all graphical tweaks - do they make it a better game?

well, since you have a whole list
i guess... yes.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
and everyone else knows,360 version is getting a update to fix a certin thingsadam_1_basic
link?
Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rougehunter
[QUOTE="Rougehunter"][QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|-Pale

i guess you're blind.

Does it still justify that I should dump everything I have did in oblvion on 360 to start fresh on a game I already own and a console I don't want

No one said you had to.

I know im just proving my point to those who already have it for the 360 and the PC
arredondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 arredondo
Member since 2004 • 699 Posts
100% guaranteed to come true prediction: the editors here will find some way to score it at least .2 points below the X360 version. Guaranteed.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
[QUOTE="YellowPik"]You mean the game I've been playing since March? :?-L-U-I-S-
Yeah but people like myself lack the necessary hardware to play it so PS3 is my only option. I dont have a 360 and have highend PC-rap, so for us PS3 owners its good to know the game has been tweaked more and has less glitches

you'll enjoy yourself. and is it just me, or was the only REAL ownage that could ever happen is if the 360 version wound up being superior? for me, when a game gets this much time to fix issues and update features, it SHOULD run smoother and have some visual upticks that make it superior. A year's time (and subsequent lessons learned) should always afford that. but if that year of extra cooking resulted in a WEAKER game than one a year older...that would be grounds for concern. if true, this is more simply Cows averting ownage rather than claiming some.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="Rougehunter"]So I need to throw my 360 away, get a PS3 and oblivion just becaus it loads a couple of seconds faster:|SambaLele

and because it has more details on gfx, better draw distance, less glitches, more content...
well, no one is telling you to throw such a good console away. You can buy a great one without discarding yours :D

yeah better draw distance,less glitches, and the more content will all be done in an auto update for the 360 version ..ign seem to have forgotten about that :roll:
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HeedleGlavin
[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"][QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|SambaLele

i guess you're blind.

i guess... yes.

So, even with no gameplay changes at all - you think it's the better game because there is more graphical detail? Are you going to be running in the woods saying "Wow, the 360 version didn't have that blade of grass!" or running into a dungeon saying "Wow, it took me 3 seconds less to get into this dungeon than it did on the 360 version!"? :|
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I'm still debating whether I'm going to get this game or not.  I beat it on PC a long time ago but my PC isn't exactly the greatest so I might get it for PS3.
e_schmidt86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 e_schmidt86
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts

For those who read both IGN and 1UP can you tell me which has better performance? I heard the 360 version has a lot of framerate problems. Is the patch going to address that, and will ps3 version have better framerate?

Personally I would prefer the version that runs better.

tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
100% guaranteed to come true prediction: the editors here will find some way to score it at least .2 points below the X360 version. Guaranteed.larshaun
I think the same here, It will score lower (maybe more than just .2) for some reason even if PS3 ver. is better.
-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts
Btw, I think editors will give it a lower than 360 thought just because its an old game
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dreams-Visions

For those who read both IGN and 1UP can you tell me which has better performance? I heard the 360 version has a lot of framerate problems. Is the patch going to address that, and will ps3 version have better framerate?

e_schmidt86
that would be the PC version you're looking for. as for the framerate, we won't know until whatever patches being discussed are out on the 360 and the PS3 version is in stores.
-Pale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Pale
[QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"][QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|HeedleGlavin

i guess you're blind.

i guess... yes.

So, even with no gameplay changes at all - you think it's the better game because there is more graphical detail? Are you going to be running in the woods saying "Wow, the 360 version didn't have that blade of grass!"? :|

So everything added to the techincal side of the game isn't considered an improvement? Both games are the same gameplay wise, yet one looks slightly better than the other. Doesn't that make one superior to the other?
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
[QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"][QUOTE="SambaLele"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|HeedleGlavin

i guess you're blind.

i guess... yes.

So, even with no gameplay changes at all - you think it's the better game because there is more graphical detail? Are you going to be running in the woods saying "Wow, the 360 version didn't have that blade of grass!"? :|

This is SW, Mass Effect, Gears, MGS4, and Crysis are the greatest games ever because they look nice.
Conker-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Conker-Fan
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts

[QUOTE="adam_1_basic"]and everyone else knows,360 version is getting a update to fix a certin thingsGermanShepard06

windows xp:lol:

your posts make no sense all the time.
lets just let you communicate more effectively. Start with a subject such as "car" add an article in front of it "the" and a verb "is" and a, you might not understand this one, a predicate noun such as "fast". The car is fast. It expresses a thought instead of what your saying, "the meadow"
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
Cool, I would say I hope that this will silence lem's claims of PS3 inferiority but alas, that'll never happen. And BTW the 360 patch will fix shader models on far-off textures but not loading times, framerate or pop-in. So the PS3 version still has a leg up in some respect.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dreams-Visions
Cool, I would say I hope that this will silence lem's claims of PS3 inferiority but alas, that'll never happen. And BTW the 360 patch will fix shader models on far-off textures but not loading times. So the PS3 version still has a leg up in some respect.espoac
why would this preview silence Lemmings when there's another preview that says the opposite? :| at BEST, this will simply mute them until the game is reviewed.
Conker-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Conker-Fan
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts
Cool, I would say I hope that this will silence lem's claims of PS3 inferiority but alas, that'll never happen. And BTW the 360 patch will fix shader models on far-off textures but not loading times. So the PS3 version still has a leg up in some respect.espoac

what i dont understand is that the article stated going into buildings took about 10 seconds on the 360 version. this is not so, its more like 2/3, barely any time at all. the world takes up, when you intially load it, about 12 seconds. When i read about the load times on the 360 version something sounded awkward
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ps3-nikita

e_schmidt86
1up as indepandent as they can be(I know that doesnt say much), say problems with PS3 version. Ign PS3 channel in a preview section. Most people by now, know preview section of games arent really to be trusted 50% let alone 100%. Even less so when hearing conflicting reports. Say that PS3 runs better. Offical line will always be the PS3 runs better, as they have more interst in pimping that version of the game. Unoffically so far or indirectly has been 360 still rules.
watchcity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 watchcity
[QUOTE="-Pale"] So everything added to the techincal side of the game isn't considered an improvement? Both games are the same gameplay wise, yet one looks slightly better than the other. Doesn't that make one superior to the other?

Lemmings are logical enough to understand that simple concept. You are exactly right, but they just can't handle something that logical.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|reilo

arent those similiar reason to why the 360 version of Final round beat out the PS3.
GermanShepard06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GermanShepard06

[QUOTE="reilo"][QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]So, because the PS3 version has shorter load times, less slow down and more draw distance - it owns the 360 version? :|Javy03

arent those similiar reason to why the 360 version of Final round beat out the PS3.

damn, u been brainwashed for sure.