It Seems Difficult To Get Back Resources Reserved for Kinect

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I noticed there is a misconception a lot of people seem to have that Kinectless X1 SKU would somehow easily open the door for Microsoft to give back the CPU + GPU + RAM resources reserved for Kinect to developers so future games could make use of them narrowing the graphical performance gap between X1 and PS4.

The problem with this is it requires Microsoft to completely drop OS voice navigation while in games in order to achieve that.

The reason for that is if Microsoft did give back those resources to developers, and developers took advantage of those resources in their future games, then there won't be any resources left for Kinect equipped boxes to listen, process and take action when users shout "xbox, record that", or "xbox, switch to TV", etc... while in games.

As the availability of those resources that were originally reserved for Kinect will no longer be guaranteed since they might already been utilized by the game engine itself.

So even if Kinect is not hooked up, Microsoft needs to make sure if you hookup Kinect and shout commands at it, it'll respond while you're in games. Hence they need to always make sure those resources are reserved.

To give up those resources, Microsoft seems to have only three options moving forward:

a) Drop support for OS voice navigation while in-game.

b) Requires you to pause via the xbox controller to activate voice commands (They could impose a policy on developers to give back those resources to the OS only on pause menu).

c) Have two tiers of games, ones that allow OS voice navigation while in-games, and others that don't allow OS voice navigation.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it to gain back those resources? And if so, what's the best option Microsoft could take to give back those resources?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

I doubt MS is going to change the way the console performs. They will just make a console without kinect.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I doubt MS is going to change the way the console performs. They will just make a console without kinect.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Why not make Kinect to include it's own chips that it needs instead of using the Xbox's? That's what Sony plans to do for their VR. They could probably use some cheap ARM chip or something as I doubt it needs to do much processing.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

How much is reserved for Kinect? How much is reserved for Eye Toy voice on PS4?

MoneySha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MoneySha
Member since 2013 • 209 Posts

Maybe "Teh Cloud" will help with these issues...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

I don't think the decision is difficult when only a fraction of consoles will have Kinect. I can easily see MS allowing devs to drop support of resources for Kinect during some games.

They've already started down this path. Kinect is now as much of an add on as the Nintendo Power Glove, whether we, or MS, like it or not. But just how much of an impact do you expect the added resources to have.

Plus wasn't there a rumor they were giving 8% back to devs?

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

How much is reserved for Kinect? How much is reserved for Eye Toy voice on PS4?

2% on XB1, 0% on PS4 since it's mic-based