It’s time for Nintendo to admit defeat

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#52 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I think this is a good thing in a way. Nintendo is the type of company that has to make mistakes in order to finally get it, because it seems like they ignore what people want or take forever to make it happen. I wish Nintendo would make a console like the GameCube, but have it able to compete with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. I can see the Wii U ending up like the Dreamcast, only lasting much longer. I like the Wii U, but I do not like how Nintendo handles things and I feel the Wii U may never have enough video games in its library that I actually would want.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#53 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@glitter: I hate it when people compare the wii u to the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast had good games.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

@DocSanchez: Wii u has good games too

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Dreamcast had an awesome library. Nintendo has no clue as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo should just come out with another console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#56 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

@DocSanchez: The Dreamcast did have good video games, I am simply comparing the Wii U with the Dreamcast in terms of its lifespan. It may only last a little longer than the Dreamcast in terms of a lifespan. I feel the Wii U also has good video games, just not enough and I can see this being a problem long-term or until it is discontinued; I do not see the Wii U remaining if Nintendo insist on doing what they are doing and continue to make up their own reasons as to why people do not want the Wii U.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

I can see it now when the Wii U is ahead of the other two by 500,000 units!

Xbox/Playstationfans: 2015: Lol! Wii U is only 500,000 ahead WITH year long head start! Epic Fail! We are winning!

2016: We will beat you next year!

2017: Oh Halo 9 and Gran Turismo 12 just came out, it's over! VGCHARTz LOL!

2018: Ttttttttttttttttt Wii U announce 80 million 2 weeks before, but the PS4/X1 are selling more world wide! WE WON! Shipped not sold! SHIPPED NOT SOLD!

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Time to admit defeat? Did you miss the fact that they're the only one actually making money in the gaming market? lol

Too many people seem to forget the really slow start the 3ds and ps3 had...

Due to their 3DS. The Wii U is defeated by PS4 & X1 already in 1 month.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I'd actually buy a Wii-U for $200 that came packaged with Mario 3D. Until then it's a no go.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#60 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

Defeat over what? The 3DS is well on its way to becoming one of the best-selling handhelds of all time. Whatever problems they may have with the Wii U, they'll more than make up for it with the hugely successful 3DS... Just like the GameCube & GBA.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

Dude, the second Retro studios makes a Metroid game, this console will be mine. Zelda remakes are tempting me to buy it alone. Imagine if they made a Star Fox WiiU. It would be game over.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

DK: TF

X

Smash

Mario Kart

SMTxFE

Bayonetta 2

Zelda Wii U

I think it's ok. Games matter, sales don't. Wasn't that the mantra of every Sony and Microsoft fan for the last 6 years?

THE Sheep have SPOKEN! the Wii didn't win last gen!!!!

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#63 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

How is failing to meet some arbitrary target some kind of death blow?

Even if the Wiiu sells a quarter of the number that wiis did, it will still be a profitable machine just like the Gamecube was.

The wiiu is close to profitable right now, if not slightly profitable.

Unlike Sega with the Dreamcast, Nintendo has a large cash supply to draw on. To ditch the wiiu just before it starts becoming profitable would be stupid. Many were saying these same arguments about the ps3 but Sony stuck with it. It was also the right move, even though Gabe Newell said it was a worthless machine that should be scrapped

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

You should admit defeat and move on. Nintendo will be fine, it wasn't that long ago that people were predicting the demise of the 3DS also.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Nah, it can still be saved. With 2014's games, another price cut and Zelda, it'll be worth it. As long as they don't **** up Zelda.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GunSmith1_basic

the wiiu sold 3 million in its first month.

How much have the X1 and the ps4 sold each so far? 1.5 million?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

The wiiu had much higher availability. It was always in stock from the beginning. All my local stores had them from the beginning while PS 4 is constantly sold out.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GunSmith1_basic

@Cranler said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

The wiiu had much higher availability. It was always in stock from the beginning. All my local stores had them from the beginning while PS 4 is constantly sold out.

Your local stores? I had no trouble finding Wiiu, ps4, and xb1 consoles at their respective launches. Reports indicate that the ps4 is the best stocked launch console of the three

The wiiu started out with many reported sellouts as well. Again, these inital sales are virtually meaningless. The real test is Jan-Sept. I just think it's funny that so many people seem to think that the ps4 and xb1 have already outsold the wiiu when that is so far from the truth.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Cranler

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@Cranler said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Your local stores? I had no trouble finding Wiiu, ps4, and xb1 consoles at their respective launches. Reports indicate that the ps4 is the best stocked launch console of the three

The wiiu started out with many reported sellouts as well. Again, these inital sales are virtually meaningless. The real test is Jan-Sept. I just think it's funny that so many people seem to think that the ps4 and xb1 have already outsold the wiiu when that is so far from the truth.

After the 2nd week the wiiu was easy to find in stores and online. PS 4 is still sold out everywhere.

We already know whats going to happen from Jan-Sept. Wiiu's will continue collecting dust while PS 4 and Xbone continually sell out. Maybe by spring it will become commonplace to see PS 4's and Xbone restocks taking more than a couple hours to sell out.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I like cheese...

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GunSmith1_basic

@Cranler said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

After the 2nd week the wiiu was easy to find in stores and online. PS 4 is still sold out everywhere.

We already know whats going to happen from Jan-Sept. Wiiu's will continue collecting dust while PS 4 and Xbone continually sell out. Maybe by spring it will become commonplace to see PS 4's and Xbone restocks taking more than a couple hours to sell out.

You know none of that. Seriously, the wiiu was a hot commodity last holiday. It outsold the wii at first, launches aligned. You simply cannot make any assumptions based on launch numbers. Your assumptions are baseless. Absolutely baseless. The wiiu was simply well supplied at launched.

The rhetoric has become strangely tilted against Nintendo. The wiiu is a disappointment compared to the wii. The odds were not on Nintendo's side.

Nintendo sold 3 million in the first month last year. It took until the ps4 launch for the wiiu to reach 4 million, but we don't know what the wiiu is selling like right now. By the end of this holiday season who knows what the numbers will be like? I have no idea.

I've seen so many people massage these numbers to make them seem worse than they really are. Yes, we get it. The wiiu is not as good as the wii. It is failing to meet Iwata's targets, which nobody thought they would reach.

The economy will hit all these console hard.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#73  Edited By CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

The Year of Luigi and the 3DS will never let Nintendo admit defeat! Oh also wait till the new Zelda, X, Super Smash Brothers, and Super Mario Kart U come out! You will all see the wrath of Nintendo in 2014! BE PREPARED

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@BattleSpectre: goat cheese, especially.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

The Wii U will probably not ever sell that well. Does it have the potential to be profitable and have a decent library for those who are savvy? Yes. But at the same time I am pretty sure it will be left in the dust by the other two when it comes to total sales.

If next year turns out to be as good as it sounds, I am definitely getting a Wii U.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@Cranler said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Sony isnt even giving its home country of Japan any PS4's until 3 months after launch because the demand is so high in NA/Europe.

Also watch some PS4 launch video's from Europe where there are thousands of people running over each other trying to get a PS4, then try to find some WIi U video's like that. I know you love Nintendo but they screwed up, Sony didnt.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Cranler

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@Cranler said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

You know none of that. Seriously, the wiiu was a hot commodity last holiday. It outsold the wii at first, launches aligned. You simply cannot make any assumptions based on launch numbers. Your assumptions are baseless. Absolutely baseless. The wiiu was simply well supplied at launched.

The rhetoric has become strangely tilted against Nintendo. The wiiu is a disappointment compared to the wii. The odds were not on Nintendo's side.

Nintendo sold 3 million in the first month last year. It took until the ps4 launch for the wiiu to reach 4 million, but we don't know what the wiiu is selling like right now. By the end of this holiday season who knows what the numbers will be like? I have no idea.

I've seen so many people massage these numbers to make them seem worse than they really are. Yes, we get it. The wiiu is not as good as the wii. It is failing to meet Iwata's targets, which nobody thought they would reach.

You're being delusional if you think the PS 4 isnt going to have at least 4x the amount of sales the wiiu does. The wii was a fad, a one time thing that will probably never happen again, at least not anytime soon. Expect results similar to the 6th gen for both Nintendo and Sony.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By clr84651

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Here's some facts for you. The Wii U is dead. X1 & PS4 have already outsold Wii U in the UK.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/12/xbox-one-and-sony-ps4-overtakes-wii-u-uk-lifetime

PS4 & X1 have already sold more in 2 weeks than the Wii U sold in 9 months.

http://bgr.com/2013/12/03/wii-u-sales-ps4-xbox-one-launch/

PS4 sold over 2 million in 2 weeks.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427873,00.asp

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#80 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

just go third party for christs sake will you!!

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#81 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

How exactly would Nintendo "admit defeat" and, more importantly, why the hell would they want to?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#82 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I personally think Ninty should go 3rd party on consoles .... it's a shame that they are in so much trouble ... more trouble than it should be .

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

@2mrw said:

I personally think Ninty should go 3rd party on consoles .... it's a shame that they are in so much trouble ... more trouble than it should be .

Thats the whole point they're not in any real trouble...

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@clr84651: And sales will temporarily slow down on those two consoles when they start running out, which will give fanboys a minor reprieve, but make no mistake about it, they are going to drive Wii U into oblivion sales wise.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By GunSmith1_basic

@clr84651 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Here's some facts for you. The Wii U is dead. X1 & PS4 have already outsold Wii U in the UK.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/12/xbox-one-and-sony-ps4-overtakes-wii-u-uk-lifetime

Lol if you're going to try to aim for rationalism with evidence and facts then don't say something so fanboyish like "the wiiu is dead".

Thanks for posting all those links of that number massaging I was talking about. Yes, these brand new consoles sold more during their launch than the wiiu did from January-September. There is often a large sales spike at a console's launch, made even stronger due to it being Xmas when consoles sell the most by far anyway. So what are the wiiu's numbers during this launch period for x1 and ps4? Without that necessary context those Links mean very little, but of course you people enjoy pretending that they do.

Again, I'm not saying that the wiiu will be number 1 like the wii. I'm just calling out all these lame numbers people are trying to trott out to "prove" that the wiiu is dead when the reality is that it is another gamecube (a profitable system for Nintendo with great games btw).

The evidence is always presented out of context in order to make the wiiu look worse than it really is in an attempt to rile up the legions of people who don't care enough to actually read what you're posting and figure out what that info actually means.

That's the definition of fanboy behaviour.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#86 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Defeat would involve a product that isn't making money and could possibly send the company into bankrupty.

I bet they would laugh at such a proposal. Especially once Mario Kart comes out.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#87 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I think it's time for lame ass irrelevant fanboys to admit defeat.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By clr84651

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Lol if you're going to try to aim for rationalism with evidence and facts then don't say something so fanboyish like "the wiiu is dead".

Thanks for posting all those links of that number massaging I was talking about. Yes, these brand new consoles sold more during their launch than the wiiu did from January-September. There is often a large sales spike at a console's launch, made even stronger due to it being Xmas when consoles sell the most by far anyway. So what are the wiiu's numbers during this launch period for x1 and ps4? Without that necessary context those Links mean very little, but of course you people enjoy pretending that they do.

Again, I'm not saying that the wiiu will be number 1 like the wii. I'm just calling out all these lame numbers people are trying to trott out to "prove" that the wiiu is dead when the reality is that it is another gamecube (a profitable system for Nintendo with great games btw).

The evidence is always presented out of context in order to make the wiiu look worse than it really is in an attempt to rile up the legions of people who don't care enough to actually read what you're posting and figure out what that info actually means.

I'm not saying it's dead because I'm a fan boy. I'm saying it because the sales say it & it's all over the internet that it's dead. You don't have to like it, but it's true. It's dead as far as competing against the PS4 & X1 this gen. That's what people mean when they say it's dead. Dead last.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By GunSmith1_basic

@clr84651 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

I'm not saying it's dead because I'm a fan boy. I'm saying it because the sales say it & it's all over the internet that it's dead. You don't have to like it, but it's true. It's dead as far as competing against the PS4 & X1 this gen. That's what people mean when they say it's dead. Dead last.

fair enough. Sorry for the fanboy comments it just makes me angry to see people throw these stats around. Personally I don't care if a console is the biggest seller.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 clr84651

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@clr84651 said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

fair enough. Sorry for the fanboy comments it just makes me angry to see people throw these stats around. Personally I don't care if a console is the biggest seller.

I would've rather seen MS fail with the X1 & the Wii U do well since MS actually deserves it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#92  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Micropixel said:
@AtariKidX said:

"Wii U is in big trouble. According to CVG News, analysts are confidently predicting that Nintendo will fail to meet its projected sales target of 9 million consoles by the end of 2013. They’re also predicting profit projections will be missed, and that it will only ever sell a quarter of the number of units its predecessor, the Wii, did. Most startlingly, PS4 has already outsold Wii U’s lifetime sales to date in the UK. Bar an incredible turnaround, for Nintendo, the war is already lost. And I think it’s time to admit defeat and move on.

Wii U is not next-gen. It’s still stuck in 2005. Sure, it’s a got a superb, high-res touchscreen, which is technically superior to Sony’s PS Vita Remote play (at least at present) and this comes in the box with the console, but essentially Wii U is technically on a par with last-gen machines, aping the Wii’s winning tactic from the previous era. But where Vita was never intended to be an intrinsic part of PS4 and has just turned out to work extremely well with it, the GamePad was meant to be a big part of the Wii U experience. And it hasn’t proved its worth in that respect."

http://www.gamesradar.com/its-time-nintendo-admit-defeat-and-make-true-next-gen-console/

It is Game Over for the WiiU.

TIME TECH disagrees with you: 10 Reasons I’d Pick the Wii U over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Today

AND... your beloved CVG also said this:Forget XBOX One and PS4, the smart choice for Christmas is Wii U

Thread should have ended right here. If you got nothing to say then don't make threads.