It is time for Microsoft to bring back Freelancer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Who doesn't love a good sci fi epic where entire galaxy is under attack, and you fight for the survival of Human race. A game where you meet interesting characters and engage in epic space battles.

Things become even better if the game isn't linear and every star system in the game is completely open and handcrafted, where you can go wherever you want between missions and do side quests to earn cash. What if the game also fully supports modding (Battlestar: Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Graphics Overhaul etc) and multiplayer mode as well? Sounds awesome. Well, Freelancer is a game that gives you all of these things in one package.

Developed by Digital Anvil and published by Microsoft, Freelancer is a story driven space combat and exploration game. The game saw several delays and clashes between devs and publishers before finally coming out on March 4, 2003. Despite development hell it went through, Freelancer turned out to be one helluva game and is still widely praised by gamers around the globe.

Unfortunately bad luck didn't stop following it even after the game's release. Microsoft stopped selling the game, which made it a lot less popular than what it should've been. In my opinion, it's easily the most overlooked masterpiece of all time. Not a lot of people know about this game these days. Hell it's hard as hell to find complete and decent walkthroughs of the game on youtube as well. When you type "Freelancer", nothing related to the game shows up.

4 years ago CD Projekt tried to bring back the game and talked with Microsoft to let them put the game on GOG but for some reason they still didn't want anyone to sell this game. This is very harsh way to treat such a brilliant game that still has a wow factor if you are willing to overlook dated visuals of vanilla version.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gog-has-gotten-really-far-in-talks-with-either-microsoft-take-two-or-lucasarts/

For several years the only way to play the game for new comers was through torrents and even those are loosing seeds now and in few months, I won't be surprised if the game looses remaining seeders (which means no more downloading) and it dies forever. So, I think Microsoft should put this game on sale because it deserves more attention and it's very cruel to kill this game that was made by extremely hard working developers.

You can show your interest by posting on GOG's wishlist page.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/freelancer

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQfmeqaHEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDuD-D3x93s

Share your thoughts about the game (if you've played it) and/or what Microsoft should do next with the franchise.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

They've killed it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25009 Posts

no because microsoft in general need to stay from gaming industry. everything they touch turn into trash. they are only good at making direct x.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Agreed

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:

no because microsoft in general need to stay from gaming industry. everything they touch turn into trash. they are only good at making direct x.

I'm not talking about the sequel. I'm talking about putting the original on sale. You can't buy the game anywhere and its torrents are about to die too.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I'm not talking about the sequel. I'm talking about putting the original on sale. You can't buy the game anywhere and its torrents are about to die too.

I just hope that SQ 42 and Star Citizen will fill in the black hole that Freelancer/Privateer/Wing Commander left.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

i loved freelancer back in the day. If MS brought it back it partially redeem their **** ups of the last 3 years for me.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I think they should get a bunch of people playing it if they want before Star Citizen releases.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Microsoft dissolved them and the heads from there went to Warhog games to create Gizmondo, basically creating a quasi N-Gage device that failed even worse then they created TT Fusion, and they've been making the Lego games ever since (Lego Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, Lord of the Rings, Pirates, Harry Potter, etc etc). Specifically they just handle the handheld/mobile ports of these games, not the glorious non-handheld/mobile ports.

Think we'll just have to make do with the other space sims making they're way to market. Hope they spark a revival of the genre. Need more accessible games though, less sim heavy.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Yeah I wish they would just sell the IP to any company. At least then it would probably show up on gog and/or possibly get a remake of sorts. Bonus points if they added joystick support so I can actually play it this time lol. I can't do mouse flying as hard as i try.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#11 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Freelancer had so much potential. The random jobs generator should just do something more exciting than "go here, kill s***, return for your payment," and it would be pretty much perfect. Definitely need to come to Steam and/or GOG at some point.

Anyone here played Starpoint Gemini 2? To me, that's the Freelancer spiritual successor I've always wanted - as long as I never, EVER touch the Campaign and thus force myself to listen to the apocalyptic voice acting.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

MS prefer to have their classic, popular and unique PC centric I.P's left rotting in the "kids don't want games like that" cupboard.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

We already have enough space sims. We need more Mech sims.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I tried the game out 2 years(?) ago (holy cow time flies) and it was surprisingly fun for an old game. Unfortunately something went wrong with my laptop and I had to wipe everything clean so I didn't get far. I think I still have the game files backed up on an external drive but not sure. No idea why MS stubbornly refuses to sell this game but if they did, I'd buy it.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

seriously..microsoft has IP's to use and are just sitting on them.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

I remember playing the shit out of the demo as a youngster over and over again until it was given to me as a birthday gift. And then I played some more.

It's a shame MS has no fucking clue.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 madrocketeer

@foxhound_fox:

Freelancer was not just another space sim; it sought to bring the genre to the masses, and largely succeeded. Its influence on the design of modern space sims can be felt to this day.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox

@madrocketeer said:

@foxhound_fox:

Freelancer was not just another space sim; it sought to bring the genre to the masses, and largely succeeded. Its influence on the design of modern space sims can be felt to this day.

And? My point still stands. We've got Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky and a plethora of other related space games and a massive resurgence for the genre.

Mechwarrior Online is a massively insular community, and doesn't offer any story-based content. It also is more of a twitch shooter than 'Mech sim. We need a proper MechWarrior 5.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 madrocketeer

@foxhound_fox:

All of which are modern spiritual descendants of Freelancer in one way or another. Freelancer was a cult classic, a piece of gaming history which is currently unobtainable due to Microsoft's stubbornness.

Getting Freelancer back is not about oversaturating the market with space sims like you contend. It's about recovering a lost piece of history. History can coexist with the present.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox

@madrocketeer said:

@foxhound_fox:

All of which are modern spiritual descendants of Freelancer in one way or another. Freelancer was a cult classic, a piece of gaming history which is currently unobtainable due to Microsoft's stubbornness.

Getting Freelancer back is not about oversaturating the market with space sims like you contend. It's about recovering a lost piece of history. History can coexist with the present.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel a new MechWarrior is far more important for Microsoft to pursue.

Yorad091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yorad091
Member since 2016 • 11 Posts

@ghosts4ever: I'm sure Microsoft will take the advice of a random nobody like yourself into consideration. Now get off your phone and get back to salting those fries.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I don't think putting the game back on sale will make getting a new mech game any harder dun worry!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_imperium

@foxhound_fox said:

I'm not asking for a sequel, since I don't think M$ has a studio talented enough to do Freelancer 2 a justice. I'm just saying that they should put the game for sale because there is no way to buy it anymore.

TBH, most upcoming space sims don't look interesting at all. Some are very low budget games, while others are relying too much on procedural generation. The only two games that look really good are Squadron 42/Star Citizen and Everspace.

But yeah, we need good mech sims too. Not F2P crap.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I loved Freelancer and I would definitely like to see another one. It may be a good time for it too with the resurgence of space sims and VR. Id probably buy the old one again too if it was re released on Steam.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

**** that, make new things.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

**** that, make new things.

He didnt ask for Freelancer 2, he requested that Freelancer be made available for purchase since there is no way to buy the game legally, at all.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

That would be great. Freelancer was great, and one of the more memorable space games. Being able to legally buy that game again, would be absolutely great.

I wouldnt mind seeing freespace 2 or Escape Velocity Nova on sale on modern stores as well.

In EVN the story was so non-linear, that even failing missions progressed the story, but pushed it in another direction.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By madrocketeer
@Maroxad said:

That would be great. Freelancer was great, and one of the more memorable space games. Being able to legally buy that game again, would be absolutely great.

I wouldnt mind seeing freespace 2 or Escape Velocity Nova on sale on modern stores as well.

In EVN the story was so non-linear, that even failing missions progressed the story, but pushed it in another direction.

Freespace 2 is available on GOG. I would know, I bought it.

Can't help you with Escape Velocity Nova, though. Sorry.

Edit: Freespace 2 also available on Steam. However, I might not bother with this one, because it seems Valve didn't bother to patch it to work on modern OSs, unlike the GOG version, which worked flawlessly for me. You'd have to do it yourself.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts
Loading Video...

elderad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By elderad
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

Remember the only reason why they wont bring this back is because of robert space industries. The creator of freelancer that now is doing the Star Citizen franchise

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By madrocketeer

Wow, a necro I instantly recognised. Can't believe I still remember posting in this thread a year later.

Sure to get locked soon. Just wanted​ to get this out there before then.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1345 Posts

Freelancer is a Chris Roberts game, wouldn't be surprised if they're holding off because of Star Citizen, it would be awesome to see the game make its way to console. A remake of Freelancer would steal some of Star Citizens buzz, especially if it could offer a similar experience at a cheaper price. With popular space games like ME, ED, Eve, and SC I think it would be wise for MS to add an exclusive game like Freelancer to their list. There's not much going on with the Space genre in video games console wise and Freelancer would be a good game to fill that space. :) Not intended

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

What a surprise, a necro thread brought back to life by a one post threadomancer

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I always wanted the game on GOG but I never knew GOG actually tried to make it a reality by negotiating with MS. My respect for them just went up again.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56317 Posts

@funsohng said:

@Cloud_imperium: I always wanted the game on GOG but I never knew GOG actually tried to make it a reality by negotiating with MS. My respect for them just went up again.

I never play Freelancer and if GOG ever were to get it somehow, It'll be a day one purchase.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If Outcast can be brought back on steam they can do the same with Freelancer.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

With Star Citizen on the horizon? Lol, no one's gonna care just like no one is going to care about Outcast, the gameplay is too outdated.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just wondering if Freelancer was just a follow-on to WC Privateer.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@elderad said:

Remember the only reason why they wont bring this back is because of robert space industries. The creator of freelancer that now is doing the Star Citizen franchise

Please don't bump old threads.