It Begins, EA has no Plans to Put Mass Effect: Andromeda on Switch.

• 127 results
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/03/no-plans-for-mass-effect-andromeda-on-nintendo-switch

While this could just be EA still sour from Nintendo's "Unprecedented Partnership", The fact that EA is announcing NOT to put one of their High Profile games on Nintendo's Newest System doesn't help Nintendo's 3rd Party situation.

I'm thinking this is going to be the start of MANY announcements coming from 3rd Party Studios saying "X Game isn't coming to Switch" just like what we saw from 2K games, Capcom, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Konami, so on and so forth talking about Wii U.

Switch will probably sell well, but I'm gonna need to see some solid proof that the Switch will be treated as a Proper System then low tier "Secondary" Garbage.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Called that months ago. Switch ain't gonna change anything when it comes to Western third party support.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

Switch will be another Mario and friends box.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Yeah, well, i can bring my Switch on the roof so i don't even care

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

All System Wars BS aside, I honestly believe this console is going to be DoA and it will be the last chapter in Nintendo's home consoles, it's the Wii U all over again and two systems in a row like this will be the end.

Nothing has changed, nothing has been learned, it's the same plans and structure, the same weak hardware far beyond its shelf life and 3rd party is already on the fritz before the system has even launched.

Nintendo has positioned themselves in a place of complete undesirability, there's absolutely no incentive to work with them or create games for their weak hardware. There's no money to be had, it will actually be more costly to work with them, even more so as their system architecture will completely differ from everything else which mind you is all simple x86 making code porting a complete bitch not only because it's unique architecture but also due to games having to be gutted to run on it.

They shit the bed for the last time, and some stupid tablet gimmick bullshit isn't doing them any favors.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Would anyone in their right mind buy ME: A on anything other than PS4 Pro or PC?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dynamitecop

@Ghost_Dub said:

Would anyone in their right mind buy ME: A on anything other than PS4 Pro or PC?

Scorpio.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Makes sense. It's all going to be contingent on whether or not the Switch sells well. This thing sells its allotted 2 million consoles in the first two weeks and becomes highly sought after and every developer will change their minds.

If it sells it'll get games, if it doesn't it won't. Thankfully this time Nintendo has a system that has built up WAY more hype than the Wii U ever did.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LegatoSkyheart

@Ghost_Dub said:

Mass Effect started on Xbox 360. So I imagine Xbox Fans would.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Uh oh, this don't sound too good, not at all, I don't give a rat's azz 'bout Mass Effect, but being a big franchise not in Ninty's newest sys ......

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emgesp

@Ghost_Dub said:

Vanilla PS4 sales of that game will crush PRO sales. This is coming from someone who owns a Pro.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

That's disappointing if true, but they did mention they don't want to "close doors like that" so it probably depends on Switch sales.

Also, I can see their decision being based on their Mass Effect 3 Wii U port which was a failure from the get go. I hope EA isn't dumb enough to do the same thing again.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dynamitecop

Here's another thing too, why is no one talking about storage capacity on cartridges? Games are starting to bridge the 80+ GB threshold, do you think any form of high speed cartridge is going to have those capacities or be cheap? **** no, that's just another thing that is going to eat third party profits and constrain them to figuring out how to compress their games to fit.

Yet another non-incentivized hassle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-587acdd100f19

@emgesp said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

Vanilla PS4 sales of that game will crush PRO sales. This is coming from someone who owns a Pro.

Who gives a **** about sales? Dedicated gamers will want the game on the best systems they can get at the time, and that doesn't include the shitty ass vanilla PS4, Nintendo Switch or Xbox One this spring.

ADaftPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ADaftPunk
Member since 2017 • 10 Posts

@silversix_:

Lol best post so far.

On topic, this was obvious. But I honestly wouldn't read too much into it. It's just EA being safe and wanting to see how well the system will sell initially.

If it does insane numbers then no doubt it'll run on the Switch, if it can that is.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LegatoSkyheart

@dynamitecop said:

Here's another thing too, why is no one talking about storage capacity on cartridges? Games are starting to bridge the 80+ GB threshold, do you think any form of high speed cartridge is going to have those capacities or be cheap? **** no, that's just another thing that is going to eat third party profits and constrain them to figuring out how to compress their games to fit.

I want to say the cartridges are a bit of a non-issue. Most games nowadays require an Install of some sort and a MASSIVE day 1 update which translates to "the rest of the game".

So it's not really the size of the Cartridge you need to worry about, but the size of the Console's Hard Drive.

Which if I remember correctly will be 32gb again, which doesn't sound too good either.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

To be fair, there's hardly any demanding for Mass Effect games to be on Nintendo consoles, why Andromeda be any different? Mass Effect: Andromeda has been in production for awhile now before Nintendo started developing Switch for the most parts. Regardless of what people may think of Nintendo Switch, I'm still buying it day one for exclusive games, I like what I seen so far and I was gonna buy Andromeda on PC anyways, buying it for Switch was the last thing on my mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@dynamitecop said:

I want to say the cartridges are a bit of a non-issue. Most games nowadays require an Install of some sort and a MASSIVE day 1 update which translates to "the rest of the game".

So it's not really the size of the Cartridge you need to worry about, but the size of the Console's Hard Drive.

Which if I remember correctly will be 32gb again, which doesn't sound too good either.

Since the cartridges don't install games to the HDD, and the systems supports 128gb mini SD cards, it shouldn't be a problem at all for save files. It might be a pain for the all-digital crowd. Even then they could just buy a bunch of them since they are dirt cheap.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Phhfffttt, I'm thinking it would take a whole lot just to get the first ME up and running on the Bait & Switch. :P

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LegatoSkyheart

@davillain- said:

To be fair, there's hardly any demanding for Mass Effect games to be on Nintendo consoles, why Andromeda be any different? Mass Effect: Andromeda has been in production for awhile now before Nintendo started developing Switch for the most parts. Regardless of what people may think of Nintendo Switch, I'm still buying it day one for exclusive games, I like what I seen so far and I was gonna buy Andromeda on PC anyways, buying it for Switch was the last thing on my mind.

Why would Bethesda put Skyrim on Switch?

Why would Ubisoft put Assassin's Creed on Wii U?

Why bother putting Call of Duty 4 on Wii when it was previously stated it could not?

Mass Effect Andromeda would actually be perfect to put on a New System since it's not supposed to have ANY ties to the Original Cast or Universe of the original Trilogy. If anything it's a better fit then putting Mass Effect 3 on Wii U since you're not in the middle of a Giant Story Arc, you're starting a New Adventure.

Also it's not the player base of Nintendo Consoles is demanding more "Mass Effect". It's that the Player base is demanding "More 3rd Party."

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emgesp

@raugutcon said:

Uh oh, this don't sound too good, not at all, I don't give a rat's azz 'bout Mass Effect, but being a big franchise not in Ninty's newest sys ......

Get use to big western third party games not getting ported to the switch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@davillain- said:

Why bother putting Call of Duty 4 on Wii when it was previously stated it could not?

Mass Effect Andromeda would actually be perfect to put on a New System since it's not supposed to have ANY ties to the Original Cast or Universe of the original Trilogy. If anything it's a better fit then putting Mass Effect 3 on Wii U since you're not in the middle of a Giant Story Arc, you're starting a New Adventure.

Also it's not the player base of Nintendo Consoles is demanding more "Mass Effect". It's that the Player base is demanding "More 3rd Party."

Did you read the article you posted? All it says is "not right now", and that things could change in the future. What's the big deal?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

The spin cycle will either make this a positive or say it does matter because no one wants this game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator

@LegatoSkyheart: I'm not gonna denied Nintendo really needs more 3rd party games, Andromeda has been in development for a long time, maybe Bioware didn't have developers kit for Switch yet maybe? Andromeda is coming out this March (assuming no delays) as well as Switch but of course, if the Switch is successful and EA thinks they can make money of off a port, then it's possible to work on a Switch port later on. I assume the Switch version won't run as smooth as on other platforms though? A portable Andromeda would be very nice to have, I won't denied that.

It's way too early calling EA crap for not trying supporting Switch since the console isn't out yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

We already knew this months ago. Bioware had stated they had no plans, and EA as a whole are bringing only one game to the Switch.

Watch as this forum desperately drives itself up into a Nintendoom frenzy, though, its favorite passtime.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-587acdd100f19

"We’re not planning on it," Mass Effect Andromeda Producer, Michael Gamble explained to Stevivor. However, he did make clear that consumer demand could change that stance:

"If the Switch launches and everyone’s just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows. [sic] We never want to close doors like that.

Now how exactly does that translate in to Switch never getting any Western third party support?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I bet the inevitable "Complete Edition" that comes out a year later will be on Switch. Just watch.

EA will bide their time to see how well the system does. Then they will come around.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Gonna be known as the light Switch for the lack of third party support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-587acdd100f19

This is also a good place to post this video about the upcoming game. People should really know what they are supporting when they buy things.

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

@Ghost_Dub said:

"We’re not planning on it," Mass Effect Andromeda Producer, Michael Gamble explained to Stevivor. However, he did make clear that consumer demand could change that stance:

"If the Switch launches and everyone’s just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows. [sic] We never want to close doors like that.

Now how exactly does that translate in to Switch never getting any Western third party support?

This is the correct answer, things could change later.

Andromeda has been in development for years for PS4/Xbox One/PC, not Switch since Bioware didn't have the developers kit yet and Nintendo was still continuing Wii U for the most parts. Andromeda is releasing this March and there's no time to work on Switch port since Bioware is almost done with the game, they can't afford a delay just to work on a Switch port.

Like I said, it's way too early to start freaking out now 3rd party abandoning Switch support now.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@bowserjr123 said:

That's disappointing if true, but they did mention they don't want to "close doors like that" so it probably depends on Switch sales.

Also, I can see their decision being based on their Mass Effect 3 Wii U port which was a failure from the get go. I hope EA isn't dumb enough to do the same thing again.

Though ME3 failing on Wii U was EA's own doing, rather than Nintendo's. How do you expect a version of the most controversial Mass Effect to sell well if you DON'T get the Trilogy released first and while the "bad ending" ordeal was still hot off the press? Similarly, the failure of Rayman Legends (a second consecutive commercial failure of the Rayman series... Ancel sure as hell can't catch a break) was the fault of Ubisoft after an alienating delay that was NEVER made up to the people that planned on buying it for Wii U and releasing it at the same time as GTA V, resulting in low sales (Origins similarly released around the same time as a Zelda game and an Elder Scrolls game).

Basically, my point is, while Nintendo IS at fault for why third party relations suck, the third parties NEED to stop getting a pass on this, because they've shown to be at fault too and get NO blame for it, rather too much sympathy for how fascist Nintendo is seen.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: I don't mind small indie games to come out on Switch and I don't expect high quality AAA titles to come out on Switch.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@emgesp: I don't need to get used to, it's Wiieeww all over again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@davillain- said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

This is the correct answer, things could change later.

Andromeda has been in development for years for PS4/Xbox One/PC, not Switch since Bioware didn't have the developers kit yet and Nintendo was still continuing Wii U for the most parts. Andromeda is releasing this March and there's no time to work on Switch port since Bioware is almost done with the game, they can't afford a delay just to work on a Switch port.

Like I said, it's way too early to start freaking out now 3rd party abandoning Switch support now.

Even if they do abandon the Switch, who would really care? Some dudebros who probably wasn't going to support the system anyway? The system is going to sell to Nintendo fans, handheld fans and Japanese game fans first and foremost.

Anything else is just gravy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

This is sad for people on Nintendo systems who enjoy mediocre third person shooters with awkward puppet sex.

Guess world class games will have to do.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 emgesp

@charizard1605 said:

We already knew this months ago. Bioware had stated they had no plans, and EA as a whole are bringing only one game to the Switch.

Watch as this forum desperately drives itself up into a Nintendoom frenzy, though, its favorite passtime.

But this time it ain't no joke. Nobody comes back after two consecutive flops. I'm not saying Nintendo as a whole is doomed, but their hardware business will be if the Switch doesn't meet sales expectations.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nintendoboy16

@Ghost_Dub said:

This is also a good place to post this video about the upcoming game. People should really know what they are supporting when they buy things.

Loading Video...

And at number five, that video lost me for one thing. Bringing in the stupid "war on SJW's", the same "war" that's giving Blizzard a hard time after revealing that Overwatch's Tracer is a lesbian and deliberately blocked the comic in Russia due to the Russian government's stance on LGBT relations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@nintendoboy16: The differences are pretty big here: ME: A is absolutely pandering that shit while Overwatch handled it perfectly.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I'm not all that concerned about western third party support. Like the 3DS, probably everything I buy for the Switch will be either from Nintendo or Japanese third parties. I already have an XB1 and PS4, I don't need a third console to play the same games the other two can, I'll get a Switch to play its own unique library.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

The wait and see approach unfortunately makes sense. None of EA's games sold well on Wii U, which included Mass Effect 3, now granted that was because the game was a year old at that point, had a fairly negative reception due to it's ending, the rest of the series wasn't on any Nintendo platforms, and the trilogy edition just released on PC, PS3 and X360 at the same time.

I do think Andromeda would have sold better than 3, simply because it's likely to come out at around the same time as the Switch anyway, so it could have been a great launch title, and wouldn't require waiting a whole year for it.

However, I'm gonna make a prediction. EA will no doubt release a ME:Andromeda GotY Edition (even if it wins zero GotY awards), and if the Switch does well, they'll get that version ready for Switch.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@Ghost_Dub said:

Loading Video...

pretty good video and he's right about almost everything. no wonder he has so many dislikes, fanboys cannot handle negativity about their fav series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@lamprey263 said:

I'm not all that concerned about western third party support. Like the 3DS, probably everything I buy for the Switch will be either from Nintendo or Japanese third parties. I already have an XB1 and PS4, I don't need a third console to play the same games the other two can, I'll get a Switch to play its own unique library.

You mean you don't want to get your brofix on a Nintendo system? I'm just shocked...

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Mass Effect: Andromeda on Switch ... ARE U 4 REAL ?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nintendoboy16

@Ghost_Dub said:

@nintendoboy16: The differences are pretty big here: ME: A is absolutely pandering that shit while Overwatch handled it perfectly.

Maybe in your opinion, but elsewhere (like the comments in Censored Gaming's video on it), Blizzard is getting quite a lot of shit for Tracer's sexuality all the same, which I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were alt-right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@silversix_ said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

pretty good video and he's right about almost everything. no wonder he has so many dislikes, fanboys cannot handle negativity about their fav series.

Really makes you wonder about the culture, and what we support with our dollars. I'm torn about it, because on the one hand I'm hoping for a great experience, and that the same moron who wrote that awful ending to 3 doesn't screw the pooch again, but on the other I'm worried that buying new on day one will only strengthen such behavior and somehow make things even worse for this industry.

I'll probably end up getting it used a while after release, if at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-587acdd100f19

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Ghost_Dub said:

Maybe in your opinion, but elsewhere (like the comments in Censored Gaming's video on it), Blizzard is getting quite a lot of shit for Tracer's sexuality all the same, which I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were alt-right.

Why should we care about what a bunch of morons like that think about anything? All that matters is what the devs do, and how they handle such things. I mean, it's only their products.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@davillain- said:

Brings up a good point for me personally. I played 1/2 on Steam. I own 3 on WiiU but haven't even opened it yet. 3 isn't on Steam. I've been holding out hoping it would be on Steam. How much will I be missing out on if I just play it on WiiU? Did you guys who played it on PC run into similar issues?

On topic...I will be getting a Switch Day 1, but probably wouldn't play MEA on it anyway.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

EA has been on the anti-Nintendo train for almost 5 years now? Still when they say something negative about Nintendo or such, people take it seriously. Nintendo didn't want their system to be taken over by EA Origin, and EA has been super salty about that ever since. I kinda love it because it makes you wonder what Nintendo told them. Whatever it is it really pissed them off XD

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

The article also states that it would be bringing "one of it's bigger games" to Switch. The video says a new game and a port. I'm sure we'll see in about 9 days.