Is Wii U the definitive companion console?

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

I like my Wii U, but no way I can go Wii U only this gen. In fact, I only play my Wii U every now and then just to get that Nintendo taste. Fact is, too many great multiplats coming out. And I also enjo Sony first party more. What about you, SW? Will you be getting you one to complement your primary platform? Or is Wii U your primary console?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

It can only be a companion console.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It's a great secondary platform to have along with your primary gaming platform imo. But if you barely get time to play games in 12 months and travel a lot then it is a good system to have with you even if you don't have others. For someone like me who plays games a lot, there are just too many multiplats to miss by just owning a Wii u and nothing else.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There's no competition in calling it a "Companion Console" since there is no other "Companion Console" in the market.

The WiiU is a complete sham and a Joke. Nintendo knows this, The Fans knows this, The Entire GAMING COMMUNITY knows this. It's a complete failure of a console that (thankfully) has awesome games to keep it a float.

However it can not be a standalone console in any which way because with JUST a WiiU you will be missing out on games like Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, The Witcher 3, Crisis 3, Mortal Kombat X, Ultra Street Fighter IV, and then some. Didn't even bother listing half of the games coming out for 2015 let alone what is already out on the freakin' Xbox 360.

Hell Nintendo couldn't even manage to get Activision shovelware on it's system (Duck Dynasty) nor did it even get Platinum's Korra game which would have been a PERFECT fit for the WiiU since it has 3 Platinum made titles on the system already and the Audience for Korra is on WiiU!

THAT should tell you what the System is going for.

WiiU is essentially what Origin is to PC gaming. A Place to play Nintendo and ONLY Nintendo games. (where as for Origin, that's a place to buy and play EA and ONLY EA games. Super Ironic I know.)

DISCLAIMER: This does not mean I hate WiiU because I love the heck out of it and don't plan on changing my mind on that anytime soon, I'm just telling you the reality of the situation Nintendo put themselves in.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

As a mainly PC gamer I do like playing a few games on consoles. None of those games are on the WiiU. Never been into Mario or pokemon or whatever and for me the WiiU has zero value. Don't think I'd even keep one if I was given it for free.

#comeatmebros.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

A Nintendo console would never be my primary console.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

There's no competition in calling it a "Companion Console" since there is no other "Companion Console" in the market.

Because surely an XBONE can't be seen as a companion console to a PS4 owner for those who like MS' first party over Nintendo's right?

SURELY, there aren't SOME PC owners who'd rather have a PS4 over a Wii U, right?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

If Alien Isolation and Evil within are on ps3 and 360 why the heck aren't they on the Wii U?

I think third parties are getting revenge for how Nintendo treated them with the Wii. (In other words...f*k off we don't need you.)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

If you like Nintendo games, sure. Not going to play them any other way.

I got a Wii U before getting an Xbox One / PS4 knowing it wasn't going to be my next gen primary. But I got it first nonetheless. After a year of the Wii U being on the market it had established a respectable library and had games to look forward to while I waited out the Xbox One / PS4 first year, and make a more informed choice about which one to pick later. And I'm glad I went that route. I was able to gave the Wii U my undivided attention and ultimately it was a very rewarding experience. Since getting my Xbox One though I haven't touched my Wii U. Mainly though that's mostly because I'm playing catch up with a year worth of games I missed out on. But, I'll certainly go back to getting games for it as soon as more must haves start rolling in.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoboy16

@Bread_or_Decide said:

If Alien Isolation and Evil within are on ps3 and 360 why the heck aren't they on the Wii U?

I think third parties are getting revenge for how Nintendo treated them with the Wii. (In other words...f*k off we don't need you.)

Or even deeper than that (NES/SNES).

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Ehh I would rather take the PS4.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Because surely an XBONE can't be seen as a companion console to a PS4 owner for those who like MS' first party over Nintendo's right?

SURELY, there aren't SOME PC owners who'd rather have a PS4 over a Wii U, right?

I can't ever see the Xbox One or a PS4 being a Companion Console because both of those consoles share games with PC.

It would just be a waste to have those systems, The Exclusives are just too few and far between for those consoles.

Now PS4 is actually a BIG maybe (because of games like Uncharted or Infamous that will never be on PC), but Xbox One and PC share too much together (like Dead Rising 3 and Ryse,)and with Windows 10 coming and rumored to have an "Xbox" mode in it, it might be a COMPLETE waste to even consider having a Gaming PC AND a Xbox One.

The Other thing is that with a PS4 or Xbox One you can own one or the other and you don't have to touch a PC to get the FULL EXPERIENCE of this Generation. They don't need to be a "Companion" Console, They can be a "PRIMARY" one. One person can potentially go through the entire Generation without missing a beat on those systems and all they would miss out on is a couple of exclusives, but HEY they got their own little exclusives too so whatevs.

WiiU? YOU CAN'T DO THAT. You will surely miss out on a LOT this Generation and yeah....it sucks. That was one of the biggest problems with the Wii and Nintendo has unfortunately found a solution to it.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Pretty sure it's just the definitive console.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Yeah, if you have a PC it's the only console you need. Last year, I actually gamed enough on the Wii U to call it my primary with the PC secondary, but if 3rd parties ever get their acts together and start releasing good games again, that will change.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

how many other companion consoles are there? wii ew is a side bitch at best, and for most people not even that. 1/10, would not bang

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

I can't ever see the Xbox One or a PS4 being a Companion Console because both of those consoles share games with PC.

It would just be a waste to have those systems, The Exclusives are just too few and far between for those consoles.

Because I SURELY never heard that excuse with Nintendo consoles and why they avoid those systems. It's not like multiplats can't be preferred on ONE system, while the other for exclusives a similar way.

Besides, considering how many went PS360 LAST gen, you'd be surprised.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

# Yeah it is pretty much the secondary platform for me.

I sould say my gaming habits so far this gen goes like this:

PC > Wii U > PS Vita > PS4

which is a faily logical series of choices if I must say so myself, My PC is by a large margin the most powerful system, with a ton of good exclusives and near all multiplats are.

The Wii U is secondary, it have very Little in multiplats on it, but it has quite alot of games tbh (as I am also using it as a NES and SNES emulator, gimme Guardian legend ffs -.-). Ironically It have had almost as much playtime as the PC for the last two months, and is THE go to console for local co-op.

The Vita might be the odd one out, It has the second most games on it, One Memory card dedicated to the great PS2 games (everything Metal gear, kz and such), one for the nice Japanese flavoured games that seems to have vanished off consoles almost altogether now. and one for PS+ games. Third most playeid system, with some good games and some good exclusives. as wel las some games simply fit that system better.

Last is the PS4 Which has potential to be a good platform, but atm is not a good companion console if you own a just moderately competent PC, as it feels like a low bedget pc atm. No identity of its own nor games to show off the design and usage of the system. So atm I would consider the PS4 fairly pointless. Ofcourse this is ONLY till the games comes out, if htey do, then the PS4 will liekly be as good of a companion console as the Wii U, but games like "the order" and the like makes me cringe, as they themselves seem almost anomonous themselves, a good focus on Graphics, and what else? I:SS was pretty damn abysmal and a letdown for Infamous players, kz was decent, but a fps, not what I buy consoels for.

Well When Persona 5 comes around I suspect that that game alone will justify the PS4, and I hope to god that we get more Unique games, that are not just FPS nr. 354 and tps platformer nr. 223 Please for the love of... Sony pull your act together and try to make something that feels distinct. Oh and the FF15? also going to be bought specifically for the PS4, as it is one of those games I consider better on console (and street fighter 5, hell went out and bought a second controller just for that announcement).

So alot of ramblings, just to give reason for my "Wii U is the perfect companion console, and while the PS4 is nowhere near that now, it too might become one"

As I do not own an X1, I can not comment on it, I will leave that to people WHO own one to coment on it, and yes I do consider the Vita more of a console then a handheld at this point, mainly due to the games that shows up on it.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Heil68 said:

A Nintendo console would never be my primary console.

This.

I just played through Bayonetta 1-2 and saw in the calender i hadnt played WiiU since november 2013, dust collector for sure:P

Will be fun this year with Zelda and Starfox :D

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

A damn fine secondary console at that.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

As a mainly PC gamer I do like playing a few games on consoles. None of those games are on the WiiU. Never been into Mario or pokemon or whatever and for me the WiiU has zero value. Don't think I'd even keep one if I was given it for free.

#comeatmebros.

Meh, nobody can force you to have good taste.

OT: Yes. Definitely.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's the definitive console for anyone who laughs at the idea of playing multiplats on anything but PC.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Seriously, with its pathetic ass library all it can possibly every provide you is a decent side bitch.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Sometimes, being only a companion is alright.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@funsohng said:

Sometimes, being only a companion is alright.

Well, I'm not gonna argue if you put it like that.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Not at $299.99 it isn't. A console that has to rely on the few exclusives that get released a year should be priced accordingly. $199.99 for the Wii U and I would consider it as a companion console.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I bough it for Bayonetta 2 and so far that game is worth the money I spend!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Yeah agree IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah, it's missing out on too much to be a primary console.

That said, it still has the best library of any console on the market currently.

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

It is, if only because the content for the platform is different. And this is where the spectrum of opinion highlights Nintendo's exclusive content. Me personally looks at the Wii U's lineup and laughs, then proceeds to shake head. 95% of the games just do not resonate.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Nintendo promised you this time it will be chock full of games and will stand on it's own two feet, that it will compete both graphically and library wise and will get all the multi plats. You wont suffer from droughts.

Now that's exposed as a big fat lie, die hard fans, instead of feeling aggrieved that they weren't told the truth, make excuses for them and out comes the secondary console tripe we heard last gen. Even if I was in to the main Nintendo franchises in a big way (I've played Mario Kart to death and I don't even particularly like kart racers) there's no way I'm spending that amount of cash on 6 or so games.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

wii u>ps4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> xbox

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Right now it's my primary console with PS4 as my secondary, but that will probably soon change due to multiplats.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

only if you like the games nintendo makes.

if you dont then its a complete waste. just spend the money on more games for your current platform or something.

which kinda goes back to one of nintendos big problems....appealing to a wider audience. they did it well last gen but that market has shifted elsewhere. they need to find more ways to get more people to like nintendos games.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

For $300 it better be more than a companion console only used for a couple games. 2D platformers and shovelware like Mario Party don't do it for me. Neither does shitty ass Dynasty Warriors with Zelda skins. Nintendo made way better games on N64 and GC.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Still way too expensive.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#36 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Only things I want from Wii-U. 1) Zelda (not a remake) 2) Starfox 3) Smash bros. 4) Mario Kart. And no on the Call of Mario Land. Tired of Nintendo riding on his back like its the only game they have.

Other than that, Wii-U is a secondary console. I play Ps4>ps3>wii-u.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It is the best primary console. All the other formats are secondary as Nintendo makes the best games. Xbox One is a glitchfest mess, PS4 sucks, and PC costs about 5 grand to reap its benefits. In addition to how lousy PS4 and Xbox are as consoles, they are DRMing every dang thing without the consumer even knowing it. Stripping features from last gen standards, subscription prices and subscription service goals, and somehow these two brand new consoles are chugging like my N64. Played Goldeneye yesterday and thought I was in a fuckng Delorean.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

As long as it is a companion console, it will continue to be relevant.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't know if it'll stay this way, but WiiU is my main console. PS4 is my companion. I'd probably be just fine without my PS4 and XboxOne. WiiU is all I need right now.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

It shouldn't be but sadly it is. :P

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Right now it's my primary console, but yes it is my companion platform.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

how many other companion consoles are there? wii ew is a side bitch at best, and for most people not even that. 1/10, would not bang

The fact that you're talking about banging consoles is worrying.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Unless you just play Nintendo games, I can't possibly see how the Wii U could be a primary console. It might have had a recent jolt with exclusives, but it's still laughable compared to the amount of games available on other platforms.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Unless you just play Nintendo games, I can't possibly see how the Wii U could be a primary console. It might have had a recent jolt with exclusives, but it's still laughable compared to the amount of games available on other platforms.

Laughable compared to 360 and PS3, yes, but I'm failing to see this good selection on PS4 and Xbone.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

I buy all my Nintendo systems as "companion" consoles, but the simple fact is that it has been my primary gaming console for all of 2014... What a terrible year for PS4 and Xbox One.. Seriously, why does nobody talk about the shit year they had?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Easily my primary gaming system. If needed I also have a PC.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Laughable compared to 360 and PS3, yes, but I'm failing to see this good selection on PS4 and Xbone.

The Wii U has like 3 games coming out in the next couple months. The PS4 is coming out with around 20 and X1 at like 15.

If you bought only one of these consoles, you are far far more likely to get more playtime out of a PS4 or X1. You would also have greater variety and choice as well.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The wii u is the type of console you wait until the gen is over/after 5+ years when it's $99 or less. Then you buy it to play the 1 or 2 games you missed out on.

The wii u is insanely overpriced and has no games. I could not imagine just owning a wii u and suffering those massive 6+ month game droughts. It is not a good secondary console either because it will just collect dust all the time.

So why not get it 5 years from now when it's cheap, play the couple games and then sell it when your done? Why waste $300 on the console and $200 on games, when you only can spend like $100-150 a couple years from now?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, because it's impossible to survive the gen with just a Wii U.