Is Walking Dead really GOTY material?

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
indie game.. so no
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
I haven't played them but from what I am reading in this thread they sound pretty boring... I could be wrong.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#103 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14891 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Wrong again....are you this ignorant.ChubbyGuy40

As if you of all people can call someone ignorant.

Saying your choices don't matter in ME3 in th eend is a factually incorrect statement.texasgoldrush

There's as much choice as Human Revolution. It only affects slight things but the endings are the same, as in choices don't matter. Know what other game did that? The Walking Dead.

So how is the devestation of Earth and the galactic devestation with the Normandy crew dead the same ending as say, the best ending with the entire crew alive and everything rebuilt? Play through with Wrex as clan leader of the Krogan and then with Wreav, and cure the genophage for both.....is the ending the same? The game ends very differently with the extended cut and to say otherwise, you'd be ignorant, stupid, or a liar.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#104 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

indie game.. so nocampzor

My ignorance of the definition of indie might be showing in this post but...isn't Journey an indie game?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]indie game.. so noGoyoshi12

My ignorance of the definition of indie might be showing in this post but...isn't Journey an indie game?

yes, what does journey have to do with me? Just another pretentious indie game.
Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

Yes.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]indie game.. so nocampzor

yes, what does journey have to do with me? Just another pretentious indie game.

Oh....I thought you were another mindless cow drooling Journey follower. Sorry.

.....this is awkward.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The game ends very differently with the extended cut and to say otherwise, you'd be ignorant, stupid, or a liar.texasgoldrush

You seriously cannot be this stupid. No wait, I've seen you try to argue before. This isn't happening again.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#109 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

There really aren't many games on its level this year.

Maybe Dishonored and Scribblenauts. Nothing else though.

tbf being GoTY 2012 is like being Star Student at a homeschool.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Goyoshi12

There really aren't many games on its level this year.

Maybe Dishonored and Scribblenauts. Nothing else though.

tbf being GoTY 2012 is like being Star Student at a homeschool.

Slashless

Same could be said for every other year.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Slashless

Goyoshi12
Hardly. Last year was full of games that could be up there. As was 2010. etc. etc.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Slashless

Hardly. Last year was full of games that could be up there. As was 2010. etc. etc.

To each their own I suppose.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Slashless

2012 has been an awesome year. Must not own a handheld.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]The game ends very differently with the extended cut and to say otherwise, you'd be ignorant, stupid, or a liar.ChubbyGuy40

You seriously cannot be this stupid. No wait, I've seen you try to argue before. This isn't happening again.

No, fact is, the endings in the extended cut are based off your choices from the entire trilogy, nevermind your EMS. Only stupid people think they are the same.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Slashless

ChubbyGuy40

I said Scribblenauts foo'

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ChubbyGuy40

No, fact is, the endings in the extended cut are based off your choices from the entire trilogy, nevermind your EMS. Only stupid people think they are the same.texasgoldrush

It's actually quite sad that you believe that.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Slashless"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

ChubbyGuy40

Only standouts I see were Persona 4 Golden and Zero Escape.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Slashless

PC and Wii-U foo'. I didn't see no RE: Revelations or Kid Icarus. Step it up, Clem-Clem.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Slashless

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

PC and Wii-U foo'. I didn't see no RE: Revelations or Kid Icarus. Step it up, Clem-Clem.

Yeah but I'm not paying 300 dollars to play that, and the Steam game gave me problems.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#120 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Yeah but I'm not paying 300 dollars to play that, and the Steam game gave me problems.Slashless

but you'd pay over $200 for it though right?

No, fact is, the endings in the extended cut are based off your choices from the entire trilogy, nevermind your EMS. Only stupid people think they are the same.texasgoldrush

Tex, If I remember correctly you LOVED Mass Effect 3's utter fail of a Proper Trilogy Ending BEFORE the Extended Cut.

If I remember, the Extended Cut was made to cater to the fans' outcry to "fix" the ending.

You only have this arguement because of the fail ending (that's right, ending.)

Also notice how The Walking Dead ended almost like Mass Effect but NO ONE IS COMPLAINING, why? Probably because the writers gave out a Proper ending to the series that everyone was okay with. So Good it landed them Game of the Year.

Something that Bioware's staff utterly failed to do.

Thank you and have a good night.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#121 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Other than the concept that he was right a lot, it's the same exact take of how he's douchy and does sh1t for douchy reasons like sweating another dudes woman. He would have been far more compelling if they justified his behavior better, and he was a more endearing parralel to what Rick was doing. As a character from what I hear the comic handles it better, because it gets rid of him quickly before he can expose how much Rick's indecisive nature holds them back before the prison arch.

Lucianu

They fleshed the character out more, man, showed how deep their friendship was at the beginning. That's what i liked, and it's understandable why he banged the female. He wanted to protect the thing his best friend loved most, tho his best friend was dead, so they got closer and closer, and since that world is Hell on Earth, who can blame him, or her.

I didn't like how douchy he was later on, it felt unnatural to me, but, i told my self that i have no idea how anyone would change if a f*cking 'end of the world' scenario would happen were you have to kill your beloved turned zombie, and do all kinds of sh*t.Thus you've got a proper justification. He was in Hell. Who knows in what way anyone would react. People are different, they gonna react in different ways. Do we really need every ounce of detail explained to us?

The best friend stuff would be fine, until he quickly gets to a point where they are barely acting like boys. It makes Shane's demise ultimately fall flat on all the potential that type of scene should have. And him falling for her has less to do with love, and more to do with just a sheer obsession.

As far as a setting needing to justify a characters behavior as "well you've never experienced it" that's just a lame defense for what is essentially just him being badly written. If that type of setting turns him into a douche bag who acts douchy for unjustified reasons than that's all he is. A douche. A setting isn't going to justify a bad character or bad writing. His behavior doesn't need to fully explained, but everything about his behavior makes him unlikeable as an individual.

When it gets down to it there is a reason he gets killed off so quickly in the comics. Either way though Shane was hardly the only weak character work on that show. Most of that 2nd season almost all the characters save Daryl gave you plenty of reasons to think less of them.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]No, fact is, the endings in the extended cut are based off your choices from the entire trilogy, nevermind your EMS. Only stupid people think they are the same.ChubbyGuy40

It's actually quite sad that you believe that.

Nope I live in the real world where its true. Go on...keep being ignorant.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Is the walking dead shown on English TV?I have never seen the show and I really want to buy the games.

blackace
The show is vastly overrated, the game's writing completely obliterates the show.

I don't think so. Must of the shows writing comes from the guys who created the comic books. So you're saying the guys who created the comics for Walking Dead aren't good writers? The show is far from overrated.

Considering all the writers that have had to change from season to season because AMC wasn't satisfied enough I'd say your statement is false. The way characters are written and behave match up nowhere near like their comic book counterparts, and from what I've gathered nothing about the comics is nearly as flawed as the stuff the show does.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Slashless

eh, I would say most years quickly come down to a 2-3 horse race. Both on an individual basis, and on the general BSmarketing popularity contest that is the game of the years of journalists.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Slashless"]Yeah but I'm not paying 300 dollars to play that, and the Steam game gave me problems.LegatoSkyheart

Tex, If I remember correctly you LOVED Mass Effect 3's utter fail of a Proper Trilogy Ending BEFORE the Extended Cut.

If I remember, the Extended Cut was made to cater to the fans' outcry to "fix" the ending.

You only have this arguement because of the fail ending (that's right, ending.)

Also notice how The Walking Dead ended almost like Mass Effect but NO ONE IS COMPLAINING, why? Probably because the writers gave out a Proper ending to the series that everyone was okay with. So Good it landed them Game of the Year.

Something that Bioware's staff utterly failed to do.

Thank you and have a good night.

WRONG Always have said the original ending is flawed...good concept, very poor execution...so you did not remember correctly. If you remembered correctly you'd know that I wanted the ending expanded, not changed. That was my position. And yet the extended Cut is a PROPER ending...its that bashers are too blind to see it. It fit every theme in the series. This is the result of adding more depth to the starchild and the ending itself. Nevermind the endings are more varied now from your choices throughout the series.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#126 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Well, i've been reading the threads on GOTY votes here on system wars. And to my surprise, Walking Dead is getting quite of few votes. I tried the demo and wasn't really sold. However, i'm sure that's just a fraction of the game since it does have a cult following obviously.

Well my question are as followed:

Does this game have any survival strategies? Like collecting food, water, ect?

Is there any type of gamesplay besides QTE?

Is this game all about choice and story?

Anything else you want to add?

And can an arcade game like this really be worthy of the title GOTY?

Replay Value?

Half the reason is i'm raising this topic is cause i got 2500msp that i was going to buy DLC for Halo4, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls and xcom. Is this series so good to pass up on those DLCs? If so, sell me the idea why cause i just might bite.

Trinitarian
a better question is call of duty bo2 really goty material its been done several times already !
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Slashless

LegatoSkyheart

Um...

what?

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#128 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
The game is really all about choice and story which it does so well that it overlooks all of the gameplay flaws. Like the story is phenomenal, I really never felt more guilty in decisions I made in a game than Walking Dead.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Walking dead is the best game this year.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#130 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Story wise? Yes.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 texasgoldrush
Story wise? Yes.ShadowsDemon
but you should not win GOTY on story alone.... For an adventure game, the gameplay is shallow and past adventure games have done choice and consquence better than the Walking Dead, as had superior puzzles, even superior stories such as Grim Fandango, which has still yet to be topped.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 texasgoldrush
The game is really all about choice and story which it does so well that it overlooks all of the gameplay flaws. Like the story is phenomenal, I really never felt more guilty in decisions I made in a game than Walking Dead.CleanPlayer
However, the decisions have no real impact, it always ends the same.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ChubbyGuy40

but you should not win GOTY on story alone.... For an adventure game, the gameplay is shallow and past adventure games have done choice and consquence better than the Walking Dead, as had superior puzzles, even superior stories such as Grim Fandango, which has still yet to be topped.texasgoldrush

What's so redeeming about ME3's terrible graphics and god-awful gameplay? Can't win on Hamburger Hepler's fan-fiction alone.

However, the decisions have no real impact, it always ends the same.texasgoldrush

Just like Mass Effect 3!

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] but you should not win GOTY on story alone.... For an adventure game, the gameplay is shallow and past adventure games have done choice and consquence better than the Walking Dead, as had superior puzzles, even superior stories such as Grim Fandango, which has still yet to be topped.ChubbyGuy40

What's so redeeming about ME3's terrible graphics and god-awful gameplay? Can't win on Hamburger Hepler's fan-fiction alone.

However, the decisions have no real impact, it always ends the same.texasgoldrush

Just like Mass Effect 3!

Jennifer Hepler didn't even work on ME3, first of all. Second of all....the action RPG mix combat was well done and the suprising multiplayer proves this. And third of all.... to tell you that choice does matter in the end and to prove your an idiot.... http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Storyline_III#Epilogue_2
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 ChubbyGuy40

Jennifer Hepler didn't even work on ME3, first of all.

Second of all....the action RPG mix combat was well done and the suprising multiplayer proves this.

And third of all.... to tell you that choice does matter in the end and to prove your an idiot....

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Storyline_III#Epilogue_2

texasgoldrush

Possibly not, but just as bad.

Yeah, you can't defend the clunky Gears clone combat. The multiplayer is your run-of-the-mill Horde mode. Not a single, redeeming factor.

I know what the endings are, but it's nothing impressive or even outclass TWD's choice system. Incredibly sad that a point-and-click adventure game has just as much "choice" as your subpar TPS. Even worse that you don't understand choices can affect more than ending.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

came in expecting to talk about walking dead.. left thread wondering why mass effect is being talked about.. scratches head and also wonders where the mods are at

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Jennifer Hepler didn't even work on ME3, first of all.

Second of all....the action RPG mix combat was well done and the suprising multiplayer proves this.

And third of all.... to tell you that choice does matter in the end and to prove your an idiot....

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Storyline_III#Epilogue_2

ChubbyGuy40

Possibly not, but just as bad.

Yeah, you can't defend the clunky Gears clone combat. The multiplayer is your run-of-the-mill Horde mode. Not a single, redeeming factor.

I know what the endings are, but it's nothing impressive or even outclass TWD's choice system. Incredibly sad that a point-and-click adventure game has just as much "choice" as your subpar TPS. Even worse that you don't understand choices can affect more than ending.

And ever thought that RPG powers and character variety make the ME3 multiplayer popular....which other horde modes don't have? Withover 50 character classes that play far differently... You sure don't....nevermind that ME3 uses save imports to a degree no one else has done before. And i have already said that TWD does actual choice better, but ME3 does CONSQUENCES better. "Even worse that you don't understand choices can affect more than ending." So you are ignoring the fact that ME1 and ME2 has implications, some major, on ME3? Wow
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ChubbyGuy40

And ever thought that RPG powers and character variety make the ME3 multiplayer popular....which other horde modes don't have? Withover 50 character classes that play far differently...

You sure don't....nevermind that ME3 uses save imports to a degree no one else has done before. And i have already said that TWD does actual choice better, but ME3 does CONSQUENCES better.

"Even worse that you don't understand choices can affect more than ending."

So you are ignoring the fact that ME1 and ME2 has implications, some major, on ME3? Wow

texasgoldrush

That's different from loadout customization in any other shooter how? It's nothing more than a shoehorned "me too!" mode.

Are you really trying to compare one game to three? That one game must be absolutely amazing to be able to stand up to a trilogy with years in development. There's one ending with 3 colors that have some slightly different changes. The Walking Dead does nearly the same thing, except it doesn't try to fool you that it's going to end differently. You know how it's going to end, you don't want it to, but that's how it is. Happy endings don't exist in TWD's universe.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#139 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

This is 2012. Any half-ass decent game could be considered GOTY.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#140 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]The game is really all about choice and story which it does so well that it overlooks all of the gameplay flaws. Like the story is phenomenal, I really never felt more guilty in decisions I made in a game than Walking Dead.texasgoldrush

You just described Mass Effect :o

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Slashless

Um...

what?

3DSs are $200+. You said you wouldn't pay $300 to play scribblenaughts so I was pointing out you pay $200 for it though. (Cause 3DSs are roughly sold at that mark.) In other words I was only making a joke.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 LegatoSkyheart

WRONG Always have said the original ending is flawed...good concept, very poor execution...so you did not remember correctly. If you remembered correctly you'd know that I wanted the ending expanded, not changed. That was my position. And yet the extended Cut is a PROPER ending...its that bashers are too blind to see it. It fit every theme in the series. This is the result of adding more depth to the starchild and the ending itself. Nevermind the endings are more varied now from your choices throughout the series.texasgoldrush

That never made me wrong about you loving Mass Effect's fail ending since the very beginning.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Slashless
[QUOTE="Slashless"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Um...

what?

3DSs are $200+. You said you wouldn't pay $300 to play scribblenaughts so I was pointing out you pay $200 for it though. (Cause 3DSs are roughly sold at that mark.) In other words I was only making a joke.

Well since I bought a 3DS more than a year ago I didn't really see the joke. Haha?
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#144 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Yes, it is absolutely GotY material. There is not one game this year that even comes close to it, not one.
RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Best game this year had to offer. By watching only short Youtube clips about this game, you won't get a good view of how amazing the game actually is.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 LegatoSkyheart
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"][QUOTE="Slashless"]

Um...

what?

Slashless

Well since I bought a 3DS more than a year ago I didn't really see the joke. Haha?

Oh you bought a year ago? Then yes you paid nearly $300 to play Scribblenaughts. (I'm talking about how much you paid for a 3DS) I'm pointing out what you said "I'm not going to pay $300 to play that game." When you already did.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Yes, it is absolutely GotY material. There is not one game this year that even comes close to it, not one. enterawesome
You're right about it being GOTY, but you're overexagerating by exactly how much. You did give the other nominees a fair chance . . . right ?
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Slashless

Oh you bought a year ago? Then yes you paid nearly $300 to play Scribblenaughts. (I'm talking about how much you paid for a 3DS) I'm pointing out what you said "I'm not going to pay $300 to play that game." When you already did.LegatoSkyheart

Um...

You seem confused. Or just not really good at telling jokes.

Here, let me explain it a little better.

I bought a 3DS, before Scribblenauts Unlimited was even a thing, for a large amount of games that were on it and were announced to be on it, also to play DS games since my old DS broke.

The only thing on the Wii-U I want is Scribblenauts, nothing else has been announced that makes me want one. And since I already have Scribblenauts on the 3DS, I don't want to waste 300$+ dollars for it.

It's simple, really.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] WRONG Always have said the original ending is flawed...good concept, very poor execution...so you did not remember correctly. If you remembered correctly you'd know that I wanted the ending expanded, not changed. That was my position. And yet the extended Cut is a PROPER ending...its that bashers are too blind to see it. It fit every theme in the series. This is the result of adding more depth to the starchild and the ending itself. Nevermind the endings are more varied now from your choices throughout the series.LegatoSkyheart

That never made me wrong about you loving Mass Effect's fail ending since the very beginning.

My criticism of the Catalyst lacking depth didn't come until later. its there And yet I was fine with the openess of the ending...but most fans weren't and wanted their choices to matter more...I am fine with that. Nevermind the futures were hinted at before the ending.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#150 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]The game is really all about choice and story which it does so well that it overlooks all of the gameplay flaws. Like the story is phenomenal, I really never felt more guilty in decisions I made in a game than Walking Dead.texasgoldrush

Well, the decisions do have an impact on how you feel towards the characters. I can understand your criticism on how it ends the same, but each choice you make does matter! At least it did to me....maybe I'm an emotional wreck, meh