Is Vega 7 AMD’s best high end GPU in over 5 years?

Avatar image for Xtasy26
Xtasy26

5400

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

Edited By Xtasy26

Poll: Is Vega 7 AMD’s best high end GPU in over 5 years? (20 votes)

Yes. 35%
No. 65%

It’s been over a month and a half since the release of Vega 7. Now with driver updates Vega 7 is starting to look competitive. For the first time since the release of the R9 290X I think AMD has the best high end GPU. It wins some and loses some against the RTX 2080. It’s more like 50/50. And for the first time AMD has something that can do 4K 60 FPS in nearly all games maxed out. Vega 64 can’t do that. What’s more it has 16GB. Perfect for future proofing since games are already pushing 8GB at 4K. I wouldn’t touch the RTX 2080 with a 10 foot pole due to it only having 8 GB. I know memory limitations can have an effect on Gaming. Got a Fury X which had 4 GB while it was good for 2015 and AMD did memory optimization’s through drivers but how long would have AMD done that going forward in newer games say games for 2018/2019. Only reason I brought it was because it was $50 cheaper than the 980 Ti or else I would have brought the 980 Ti. But I quickly sold the Fury X since it was overkill at 1080P and wanted something future proof with more memory. Happy with my 1060 6GB for now especially since games now are already using more than 5 GB at 1080P. But I digress.

So, is the Vega 7 the best high end GPU AMD released in over 5 years? It certainly addresses two of the issues that I think affected the image of their last two high end GPU’s. Fury X had slightly less performance than the 980 Ti and 2 GB less than the 980 Ti but costs the same as the 980 Ti at launch. Vega 64 only matched the GTX 1080 and couldn’t do 4K 60 FPS maxed out in games.

Vega 7 addresses both. I just wished it was $50 cheaper than the 2080 that would have put more pressure on the 2080 and would have made it far more competitive.

What do you guys think?

 • 
Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

54033

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54033 Posts

Competing against the RTX 2080, instead of the ti... Or even the Titan?

AMD's best GPU competes with Nvidia's 3rd best GPU... So, a bit lame.

---

In all seriousness, it was a solid venture into the semi high-end market. AMD needs to compete far more to drive down the prices... I paid $1070 for my 2080... Which replaced my GTX 1070 lol.

Avatar image for Xtasy26
Xtasy26

5400

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5400 Posts

@lundy86_4: lol...what? Why are you comparing it to the Titan which is generally geared towards Professional market. Yes I know it can play games. So, it’s more like it competes with nVidia’s second best. I would say it’s not a bad showing considering how AMD is limited by R&D money. Only last year did they really have some descent profit for the first time in 7 years.

AMD basically turned their MI50 Instinct GPU into the VII. I think they smelled blood in the water since the 2080 isn’t that big of a jump compared to highest end Pascal. Vega 7 could easily hit 2080 performance numbers and have double the memory to boot.

If AMD had more money I think they could have had a killer GPU that is dedicated to Gaming instead of trying to turn a compute GPU into Gaming.

There’s rumors that going forward in the next couple of years AMD will have two types of GPU’s similar to what nVidia is doing. One for the server market and one for the Gaming market.

But for now this buys them time and something to compete in the high end.

You also get 3 AAA titles with Vega 7 so not bad.

I hope that $1070 was in Canadian dollars not American. ;)

Avatar image for jahnee
jahnee

3996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jahnee
Member since 2005 • 3996 Posts

@Xtasy26: I think AMD might just do that, having compute/render gpu's alongside more gaming geared gpu's that is. They certainly will continue to profit from all console sales, and ryzen 7nm will soon invade laptops around the globe as well. Ryzen was born out of the income from console sales, I am sure the successors to Navi will do very well. If only AMD can get more CUDA like support in professional apps, that would be the final nail in the coffin for Nvidia's pricing monopoly. AMD can then have more RAM, more compute and more application support than Nvidia.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
ronvalencia

28255

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28255 Posts

Vega II hasn't overcome quad raster engines and 64 ROPS limitations, and it's expected for NAVI SKU that replace RX-580 to be 256 bit bus GDDR6 with 64 ROPS version.

GDDR6-14000 with 256 bit bus yields 437.5 GB/s and when combined with 64 ROPS; there's a high probability landing on Vega 56/64 range, hence competing against RTX 2060 and RTX 2070.

AMD hasn't matched NVIDIA's raster pipeline strength.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

361

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

Objectively it is the fastest card they ever made, so logically. Yes.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
ronvalencia

28255

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28255 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

@lundy86_4: lol...what? Why are you comparing it to the Titan which is generally geared towards Professional market. Yes I know it can play games. So, it’s more like it competes with nVidia’s second best. I would say it’s not a bad showing considering how AMD is limited by R&D money. Only last year did they really have some descent profit for the first time in 7 years.

AMD basically turned their MI50 Instinct GPU into the VII. I think they smelled blood in the water since the 2080 isn’t that big of a jump compared to highest end Pascal. Vega 7 could easily hit 2080 performance numbers and have double the memory to boot.

If AMD had more money I think they could have had a killer GPU that is dedicated to Gaming instead of trying to turn a compute GPU into Gaming.

There’s rumors that going forward in the next couple of years AMD will have two types of GPU’s similar to what nVidia is doing. One for the server market and one for the Gaming market.

But for now this buys them time and something to compete in the high end.

You also get 3 AAA titles with Vega 7 so not bad.

I hope that $1070 was in Canadian dollars not American. ;)

There's a design limit between 256 bit to ROPS count i.e. NVIDIA designed RTX 2080 with six raster engines like GTX 1080 Ti with GTX 1080's 64 ROPS being coupled with 4MB L2 cache (GTX 1080 Ti has ~3MB L2 cache).

NVIDIA will need major innovation to exceed 64 ROPS over 256 bit bus design.

Major improvements with RTX 2080 is with six raster engines decoupled from 64 ROPS instead of GTX 1080's quad raster engines and 64 ROPS design.

Without RT and tensor cores,

RTX 2080 Ti has 6 MB L2 cache, 88 ROPS, six raster engines and with up to 16.5 TFLOPS at 1900 Mhz.

RTX 2080 has 4 MB L2 cache, 64 ROPS, six raster engines and with up to 11.9 TFLOPS at 2025 Mhz.

PS; Six raster engines refers to six GPCs

-------

Vega II has 4MB L2 cache, 64 ROPS four raster engines and with up to 13.4 TFLOPS at 1750 Mhz or 13.8 TFLOPS at 1800Mhz. Depending game workload, Vega II has advantages over RTX 2080 while opposite is also true for RTX 2080 over Vega II, but overall, both VII and RTX 2080 are similar.

RTX 2080 Ti has absolute superiority over Vega II in both compute and raster and that's not factoring tensor and RT cores.

RTX 2080 Ti is a beast for compute.

Avatar image for Xtasy26
Xtasy26

5400

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#7 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5400 Posts

Radeon VII is an obvious choice over the RTX 2080 when compare the fact that games are pushing 11 GB and over half dozen games are pushing 8GB+. So, it's an obvious choice as shown below...

Avatar image for Xtasy26
Xtasy26

5400

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#8 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5400 Posts
@jahnee said:

@Xtasy26: I think AMD might just do that, having compute/render gpu's alongside more gaming geared gpu's that is. They certainly will continue to profit from all console sales, and ryzen 7nm will soon invade laptops around the globe as well. Ryzen was born out of the income from console sales, I am sure the successors to Navi will do very well. If only AMD can get more CUDA like support in professional apps, that would be the final nail in the coffin for Nvidia's pricing monopoly. AMD can then have more RAM, more compute and more application support than Nvidia.

Yes, AMD CEO basically stated that in the future there will be bifucuration of their GPU's in the future. But I expect that to happen post Navi+.

You are right about if AMD only could get CUDA support in professional apps. Unfortunately, CUDA is heavily entrenched in the professional market. CUDA goes back over 10+ years. OpenCL which AMD uses hasn't gotten no where near as traction as CUDA, so much so that AMD had to come up with conversions to run CUDA on their GPU's. It will take a lot of convincing for people to use AMD GPU's for professional applications.

Avatar image for mazuiface
mazuiface

933

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 933 Posts

Vega II is a nice card. My brother got one and it is basically a 7nm Vega 64 with more HBM2. I would not say it is their best card though - they could have made it cheaper by not opting for so much HBM2, which is expensive to produce. The sweet spot has to be the Vega 56 for when it released, and the R9 290. Both of those were excellent for the range of power and the price they released.

Avatar image for rzxv04
rzxv04

686

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#10 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 686 Posts

Technically yes? It's their latest consumer gpu.

I think the HD4870 is still their more badass card in terms of shaking up the market.

Avatar image for jahnee
jahnee

3996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#11 jahnee
Member since 2005 • 3996 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:
@jahnee said:

@Xtasy26: I think AMD might just do that, having compute/render gpu's alongside more gaming geared gpu's that is. They certainly will continue to profit from all console sales, and ryzen 7nm will soon invade laptops around the globe as well. Ryzen was born out of the income from console sales, I am sure the successors to Navi will do very well. If only AMD can get more CUDA like support in professional apps, that would be the final nail in the coffin for Nvidia's pricing monopoly. AMD can then have more RAM, more compute and more application support than Nvidia.

Yes, AMD CEO basically stated that in the future there will be bifucuration of their GPU's in the future. But I expect that to happen post Navi+.

You are right about if AMD only could get CUDA support in professional apps. Unfortunately, CUDA is heavily entrenched in the professional market. CUDA goes back over 10+ years. OpenCL which AMD uses hasn't gotten no where near as traction as CUDA, so much so that AMD had to come up with conversions to run CUDA on their GPU's. It will take a lot of convincing for people to use AMD GPU's for professional applications.

Facts, the coming generations will prove to be interesting indeed.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

31716

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 31716 Posts
@rzxv04 said:

Technically yes? It's their latest consumer gpu.

I think the HD4870 is still their more badass card in terms of shaking up the market.

HD4870 and GTX970 are two of the best graphics cards I've ever owned, such great price/quality and they lasted for me for so many years.

Avatar image for rzxv04
rzxv04

686

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#13 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 686 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@rzxv04 said:

Technically yes? It's their latest consumer gpu.

I think the HD4870 is still their more badass card in terms of shaking up the market.

HD4870 and GTX970 are two of the best graphics cards I've ever owned, such great price/quality and they lasted for me for so many years.

Have a feeling we'll never get those kinds of pp ratio cards. I think it's gonna be more about APUs later on, even for desktop.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

31716

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 31716 Posts
@rzxv04 said:

Have a feeling we'll never get those kinds of pp ratio cards. I think it's gonna be more about APUs later on, even for desktop.

Yeah shame it is/was all about tablet and mobile hardware. PC gaming market isn't super big unfortunately, so all the development is in those other markets.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
ronvalencia

28255

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28255 Posts

@mazuiface said:

Vega II is a nice card. My brother got one and it is basically a 7nm Vega 64 with more HBM2. I would not say it is their best card though - they could have made it cheaper by not opting for so much HBM2, which is expensive to produce. The sweet spot has to be the Vega 56 for when it released, and the R9 290. Both of those were excellent for the range of power and the price they released.

Vega 56 at 1710 Mhz OC with Vega 56's memory bandwidth already rivals/beat RTX 2070. Vega II has minor IPC improvements over Vega 56/64 to reach RTX 2080 levels.

Avatar image for rzxv04
rzxv04

686

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#16 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 686 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@rzxv04 said:

Have a feeling we'll never get those kinds of pp ratio cards. I think it's gonna be more about APUs later on, even for desktop.

Yeah shame it is/was all about tablet and mobile hardware. PC gaming market isn't super big unfortunately, so all the development is in those other markets.

You're probably right.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
ronvalencia

28255

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28255 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

Radeon VII is an obvious choice over the RTX 2080 when compare the fact that games are pushing 11 GB and over half dozen games are pushing 8GB+. So, it's an obvious choice as shown below...

Means little when NVIDIA Pascal/Turing GPUs has superior delta color compression.

GpGPU workloads usually disables color compression, hence VII is better suited for Adobe Premiere.