Is this the worst console generation yet for MS?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is this the worst console generation yet for MS? (88 votes)

Yes, absolutely. 56%
Absolutely not. 25%
Yes, so far. But there is still time. The Scorpio will change things. 5%
No, but if the Scorpio does not turn things around for MS, it will be the worst gen yet. 5%
Sleep paralysis is a condition in which you awaken unable to move or speak, and often have a very bad feeling that something evil is in the room with you. If you've experienced this, or do experience this regularly, and want some form of advice, reach out. I believe I can help. 10%

Luck, it would seem, has not been on MS's side this gen. The XB1 had a horridly botched launch. MS had to backpedal up the wazoo to try to fix things, which involved them changing pretty much their entire original plan for the XB1. Then Sony sold a ton of PS4s, and then sold more, and more, and more, and more, and.....more. MS has been dominated this gen both locally and worldwide by Sony to the point that they don't even report sales numbers anymore. And then there are the closures of studios and game cancellations, including the axing of one of their biggest prospects in Scalebound. On top of all this, the utter and complete loss of XB1 exclusives cannot be looked past. Sony is literally burying MS under a mountain of exclusives these days. MS has had to go back to the drawing board in the middle of the generation, making not a console upgrade but an entirely new console, the Scorpio, and throwing likely the lot of their gaming division's resources at it in the process. And this is just an abbreviated list of all the rather unfortunate decisions and outcomes that have plagued MS all gen long. In the meantime, Sony just keeps on keepin' on, steamrolling the competition.

So, I ask you, SW. Has this been the worst console generation for MS?

No Caption Provided

Sleep paralysis visitation

• 
bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

At least there's not as big of an embarrassment as RROD this time around. The fact that MS was able to recover from that and xbox 360 did well as it did is quite a statement on MS' persistence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@bmanva said:

At least there's not as big of an embarrassment as RROD this time around. The fact that MS was able to recover from that and xbox 360 did well as it did is quite a statement on MS' persistence.

True, there is no RROD this time. But all of the blunders MS has made this gen I think equal that disaster in some ways.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

The Xbox had Fable / Halo / a bunch of good PC ports that werent on PS2 and that gen was weak compared to the 360.

This is by far worse gen ive ever seen even sega put out good exclusives during the dreamcast this is a friggin massacre beatdown its like give up. Xbox did its job 360 did good xbox one is awful its a PoS nightmare where the exclusives even i can't think of any

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@ProtossRushX said:

The Xbox had Fable / Halo / a bunch of good PC ports that werent on PS2 and that gen was weak compared to the 360

This is by far worse gen ive ever seen even sega put out good exclusives during the dreamcast this is a friggin massacre beatdown its like give up

Exactly. I honestly don't know what MS is thinking right now. Maybe E3 will change that, but who knows.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

its already sold more than the original Xbox ?

Exclusives are such a small part of a systems library it shouldn't be used as the measuring stick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@thehig1 said:

Exclusives are such a small part of a systems library it shouldn't be used as the measuring stick.

It seems to b mattering its part of playstation 4 success imo and hype the exclusives are digging a big grave for the xbox one owners who get a lot of both

i've never seen lists this unproportional dreamcast had exclusives and fought back against other systems

xbox one is not its not doing it this is once in lifetime thing ive ever seen a company do in gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@thehig1 said:

Uh, there are a few other problems than just the lack of exclusives, dude. And sales represents a disaster when you look at how demolished the XB1 is by the PS4 in this respect.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Yes. OG Xbox and 360 were better than this piece of shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Juub1990 said:

Yes. OG Xbox and 360 were better than this piece of shit.

lol :D

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thehig1

@ProtossRushX said:
@thehig1 said:

It seems to b mattering its part of playstation 4 success imo and hype the exclusives are digging a big grave for the xbox one owners who get a lot of both

i've never seen lists this unproportional dreamcast had exclusives and fought back against other systems

xbox one is not its not doing it this is once in lifetime thing ive ever seen a company do in gaming

The PS4 is selling better because of the terrible systems Microsoft made at the start of the generation (Kinect, price, always online etc) I dont think the exclusives are the biggest reason of why its ahead

@reduc_ab_ said:
@thehig1 said:

Uh, there are a few other problems than just the lack of exclusives, dude. And sales represents a disaster when you look at how demolished the XB1 is by the PS4 in this respect.

Yeah the Xbox one has many other issues than exclusives, I'm arguing its other issues are bigger issues than exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Sometimes companies tend to abandon consoles that are not doing well just look at the Wii U and PS Vita. Both disasters. I'm sure the xbox one is an albatross around MS's neck at the moment and they are focusing on scorpio for a clean start.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@thehig1 said:

The ps4 is the fastest selling console of all time but the x1 is selling faster than the x360. MS also has the pc app. This fight is far from done. Remember how the ps3 came back in the end to catch the 360 after it was thought to be dead ???

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

So far, I certainly feel the Xbox One is weaker than the Xbox 360 but I'm hoping things can pick up and I have faith that Microsoft can turn things around.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Xbox and 360 were better in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Is doing better than the OG Xbox so not sure what the OP is getting at

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@thehig1 said:

when Nintendo and Sony have had success with their consoles is because of their exclusives.

When the 360 was having success, it was because it was having more exclusives over the PS3 early on.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Xbox one dont have good and new exclusives and the specks are low

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

No. As many gems as the Xbox had, it's not on that level of general suck.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thehig1

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@thehig1 said:

when Nintendo and Sony have had success with their consoles is because of their exclusives.

When the 360 was having success, it was because it was having more exclusives over the PS3 early on.

360 was also performing better in multiplats at that point as well.

PS4 sold fast from launch, in its first year there wasnt many exclusives.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 no-scope-AK47

Phil stated the x1 will get new ip's and the scorpio in 2017. The e3 4 month's away we will find out if the ip's are any good. The scorpio can only fail if the price is too high.

I still think the ps4 has the better console but that can change this year. The megatons GOW4 and FF7 remake could steal Phil's thunder at e3 if they show up.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

But Phil said it was the best :'(

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

With Gears and the like going to PC (tho I still dont run windows 10 for good reasons)

The only interest I really have in Xbox One is a 4k Bluray Player / Media box. hah.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

As far as their pockets go, don't know, don't care.

But personally? Original Xbox was great. 360 was absolutely the console to own for the 1st half of last gen. I still can't find a reason to pick up the Xbone. And selling me a game console is a pretty easy task.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Exclusives and Blu-ray were the saving grace for the PS3. The X1 now has 4k Blu-ray, but not the exclusives and it's an open question whether a 4k Blu-ray player has the same consumer draw at this time as OG Blu-ray did. That being said, most of the value of gaming is in multiplats these days, rendering a lot of the same value to X1 as PS4 by virtue of the largely shared library. Typically lower res, sometimes lower framerate (sometimes higher), but the large and similar library is there. Objectively, they have been and remain largely similar systems.

Still, exclusives are like mascots - you don't necessarily need a lot, you just need a few to parade around and sell your product. This is IMO the XBox brand's current weak point. It is nothing objective about the overall library or hardware or game quality being substantially worse, but just a lack of an identity as a must-have-system that is bestowed by even a handful more core exclusives. I think this is largely psychological and not rational, but it is a powerful force that dampens the benefits of the BC and 4KBD that might otherwise be shining points for the system

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

for sure

every decent xbone game is also on ps4, and they don't have any exclusive games worth playing, except maybe forza (but it's a racing game, nobody cares about those). And every exclusive game they had a good idea about got cancelled, like that scalebound thing. OG xbox and 360 had great games and gave sony a run for their money, and definitely had a competitive streak in that era. This generation is pretty pathetic and then some. The supposed "Scorpio" will most likely flop when everyone realizes that they can just build a gaming rig PC with a gtx 1080 for about the same price.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Xbone sure has been a stinker. I guess there is always room for improvement. Hard not to when you have hit rock bottom.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@thehig1: People keep saying this, that exclusives don't matter anymore, and this is 100% not true and it seems that only butthurt fanboys keep spewing it.

People buy a system for the exclusives it has and the ones they know or think will eventually come out. The ps4 has a lot of exclusives and while they all don't sell millions upon millions they fill voids and sell to certain demographics.They bring more and more people to a certain console. It's fairly simple yet so many fanboys can't seem to grasp it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

No, but this could be the dumbest biased thread ever created.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thehig1

@vfighter said:

@thehig1: People keep saying this, that exclusives don't matter anymore, and this is 100% not true and it seems that only butthurt fanboys keep spewing it.

People buy a system for the exclusives it has and the ones they know or think will eventually come out. The ps4 has a lot of exclusives and while they all don't sell millions upon millions they fill voids and sell to certain demographics.They bring more and more people to a certain console. It's fairly simple yet so many fanboys can't seem to grasp it.

People on these forums and more enthusiastic gamers might, however the average casual gamer (probably the biggest chunk of ps4 sales) just want to play Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.

Exclusives are less important now, compared to earlier generations.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 no-scope-AK47

@crashnburn281 said:

Xbone sure has been a stinker. I guess there is always room for improvement. Hard not to when you have hit rock bottom.

How is it rock bottom??

It's got 4k blu-ray at 250 with a game and BC. You also get 4 games a month that smashes psn plus. The scorpio will be the best console later this year. So that just leaves exclusives and they are few in number.

So is the xbox one really rock bottom???

From a logical standpoint no.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

No question about it. The OG Xbox had a great exclusive library of games and was a monster spec wise. 360 had some good exclusive in the first half of its life and ran most multiplats better despite being a bit weaker than the PS3,

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Did you like the 360 all through its lifespan?

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CrashNBurn281

@no-scope-AK47:

All those things are nice and all, but it is a game console. The few exclusives the platform has have pretty much all bombed except for Forza.

GAME console. Games are the most important part of a game console. Xbox has had flop after flop, while Sony has been knocking them out of the park.

That's why Xbone is getting outsold 2:1.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

No. Philly said its their best yet.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@blackace said:

No, but this could be the dumbest biased thread ever created.

You're just buttmad because people are speaking the truth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@ConanTheStoner said:

But personally? Original Xbox was great. 360 was absolutely the console to own for the 1st half of last gen. I still can't find a reason to pick up the Xbone. And selling me a game console is a pretty easy task.

I think you probably nailed it here. It's hard to look back and say the XB1 is better than the 360. In fact, it is impossible.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

Exclusive wise? Yes, this is the worst Xbox exclusives yet. The only exlcusivses that interest me are Halo, Gears, Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive. The only game I am excited for besides multiplats is Crackdown- Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, ,State of Decay 2, Scalebound(if it was released), Phantom Dust and the others don't hype me like Crackdown 3. I fear and can feel that Crackdown 3 will be a disappointment and the others won't receive critically acclaimed scores like PS4s exclusives. I worry for Microsoft.

SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmearyGoose1768

@crashnburn281 said:

@no-scope-AK47:

All those things are nice and all, but it is a game console. The few exclusives the platform has have pretty much all bombed except for Forza.

GAME console. Games are the most important part of a game console. Xbox has had flop after flop, while Sony has been knocking them out of the park.

That's why Xbone is getting outsold 2:1.

If people really preferred PS4s exclusives it would of reflected on the exclusives sales and so far they aren't doing very good except for Uncharted. That's not the reason the Xbox is being outsold 2 to 1. The reason they are being outsold is because of the news/rumors saying the Xbox was going to be always online, DMR, and other features deemed wrong by the gaming community that put Microsoft behind on the 1st half of the generation. People simply flocked to the PS4 and their friends went with their PS4 because of that bad press Microsoft had but most importantly because their friends had an PS4. Word of mouth killed the 1st half of Microsoft generation sales. Now barely Microsoft is recovering from it thanks to massive marketing strategy, BC, GWG and other services Microsft brags about in their advertisements. Also bundling the console with games such as Halo 5, Forza Horizon, Gears, 2k16 and other games as well as the price cut.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@reduc_ab_ said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

I think you probably nailed it here. It's hard to look back and say the XB1 is better than the 360. In fact, it is impossible.

you could argue that phil spencer knows its going horrible and is just saying its not the worse and tell lies saying its the best because of finacial situation.

but deep down i think phil and mattrick knew they fked up with the xb1 and are lying to people that things are going great

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

The comparison point here really comes down to X1 vs og XBox, IMO. I couldn't believe anyone would hold the X1 above the 360. As far as X1 vs OG goes... it's tough. Certainly the X1 has outsold and will continue to run away from the OG... but part of that's simply because the OG had zero brand recognition, and when it launched was a fairly expensive interloper into the market going against some very dominant brands. So it didn't sell that much... but not surprised or disappointed in its performance given that fact. So once again, I'd put sales aside and turn to games - which was a better console to own in its time, gameswise? I think people could argue about that one for days. For me I'd give the edge to OG, but both then and now the brand suffers from the system being largely redundant with my PC. My OG was primarily a Halo box (that's why I bought it - to Halo with friends). But for whatever reason I played a TON of Battlefront, Morrowind, Jade Empire, etc on the OG as well (I have Morrowind on PC too). I liked OG a lot, despite it being kinda redundant. I don't own an X1 and really don't want one except to satisfy my sick "collect 'em all" urges

SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SmearyGoose1768

@darktower said:

for sure

every decent xbone game is also on ps4, and they don't have any exclusive games worth playing, except maybe forza (but it's a racing game, nobody cares about those). And every exclusive game they had a good idea about got cancelled, like that scalebound thing. OG xbox and 360 had great games and gave sony a run for their money, and definitely had a competitive streak in that era. This generation is pretty pathetic and then some. The supposed "Scorpio" will most likely flop when everyone realizes that they can just build a gaming rig PC with a gtx 1080 for about the same price.

You're wrong about Forza. Forza has been one of Xbox's highest selling exclusives and it moves units for Microsoft, Microsoft won't drop that franchise soon and the reason why it's a yearly event or series like CoD. Obviously it's not on the scales of CoD selling wise as is an multiplatform but it does sell well and move units. The Scorpio won't be as big as people think it is. I see it more of a console for hardcore gamers, Microsoft fanboys and tech enthusiasts but it will replace the Xbox One eventually. Also the average gamer won't buy a PC over a Scorpio as most gamers prefer the accessibility and easy usage of the console. PCs aren't in the same Add to accessiblity league as consoles, at least not yet but I do see PC gaming growing throughout the years but I won't replace consoles as long as you have to learn how to build one or research about the platform and the parts etc.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CrashNBurn281

@smearygoose1768: Didn't really read you post, but your wrong. Thanks.

SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SmearyGoose1768

@crashnburn281 said:

@smearygoose1768: Didn't really read you post, but your wrong. Thanks.

lol triggerd didn't I?

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CrashNBurn281

@smearygoose1768: Hard to get triggered when you see a wall of text and disregard it. Paragraphs are better ways to express how you are wrong.

SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SmearyGoose1768

@crashnburn281 said:

@smearygoose1768: Hard to get triggered when you see a wall of text and disregard it. Paragraphs are better ways to express how you are wrong.

Lol.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Id say that as far as modern consoles go (past 80s crash) this is the worst generation, period.

We have Sony and MS doing nothing but giving us overpriced, last generation PCs that don't even have the benefits consoles once had, And then Nintendo giving us these super niche products that most likely wont appeal to anyone past 25 or so.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@aigis said:

But Phil said it was the best :'(

He has to say that...kinda like what Reggie has to say about Wii U. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@xantufrog said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

The comparison point here really comes down to X1 vs og XBox, IMO. I couldn't believe anyone would hold the X1 above the 360. As far as X1 vs OG goes... it's tough. Certainly the X1 has outsold and will continue to run away from the OG... but part of that's simply because the OG had zero brand recognition, and when it launched was a fairly expensive interloper into the market going against some very dominant brands. So it didn't sell that much... but not surprised or disappointed in its performance given that fact. So once again, I'd put sales aside and turn to games - which was a better console to own in its time, gameswise? I think people could argue about that one for days. For me I'd give the edge to OG, but both then and now the brand suffers from the system being largely redundant with my PC. My OG was primarily a Halo box (that's why I bought it - to Halo with friends). But for whatever reason I played a TON of Battlefront, Morrowind, Jade Empire, etc on the OG as well (I have Morrowind on PC too). I liked OG a lot, despite it being kinda redundant. I don't own an X1 and really don't want one except to satisfy my sick "collect 'em all" urges

I'd say the OG Xbox has the edge, if nothing else because at least MS was trying back then....all gen long. It just feels like they've thrown in the towel with the XB1.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I don't know, it's hard to say... each gen has its pros and cons (like with every brand). I have very fond memories of the OG Xbox, but alot of that is nostalgia. 360 was obviously very successful, but I think the XB1 is a better console overall.

Yeah its hard to say... plus Scorpio is coming which will make things interesting.