Is this the last real gen of physical disc media for gaming?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is this the last real gen of physical disc media for gaming? (45 votes)

Yes 36%
No 64%

sometimes I start thinking of other things, deeper things than halo infinite, and this is one of those things. The decline of physical media is something i'm frankly concerned about. For the past decade, traditional disc based gaming has been dying a slow and protracted death. Aside from nintendo, who still pushes cartridges, the others are more and more pushing us into digital gaming. Its very concerning, because digital purchases more often than not tend to be MORE expensive than the physical media, in MOST instances. The one exception to this is for older games in the 5+ year old range, where physical media is rare (and expensive) but digital purchases tend to be much cheaper.

I purchased Halo Infinite physical copy yesterday, but the game isn't even ON the disc...its just a freaking empty disc, and you need to download the game regardless. The death of physical media is not good for anyone, because it kills off the second hand gaming market. This is frankly a crisis for gamers...I hope people understand that. Just look at PC gaming as prime example. 20 years ago, PC gaming was far more affordable...and one reason for that was because of physical discs were still being sold. Now PC gaming is MORE expensive than console gaming.

There are other innovations though like subscription services, which have made gaming much cheaper and accessible overall. So digital gaming isn't all bad either.

I feel like consoles are at a cross roads, and were at the point of no turning back. PSA, keep buying those discs.

Lets discuss.

Why the death of Blu-ray is very bad for gamers

• 
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45087 Posts

Hopefully not. Digital would be giving the console makers complete control and less options for consumers.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Hopefully not. Digital would be giving the console makers complete control and less options for consumers.

very true. The fact sony is charging $70 for games now makes things even worse. We need to keep buying those discs...imagine in the future when games are $100. No way to buy discs, only digital. Talk about being screwed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38795 Posts

No. I buy only physical (on consoles).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Thankfully not.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24913 Posts

I hope. Physical disk end. Waste of space. Every thing ia digital including currencies.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

Not if they want my money, no.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox

@ghosts4ever: Yup, that way you can continue stealing everything and then claim to support devs you like!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Hopefully not. These companies sure are trying to make this a reality though. Not like I’m going to stop gaming if this does happen though. I do purchase a fair amount of games digitally. I just have a preference for the physical format.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I hope so, unless it's a card like switch uses. My PS5 was whisper quiet until I bought a game on disc. Not sure what's on the disc, but after installing and playing, I can hear it spinning for whatever reason.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24913 Posts

@Chutebox: this is 2022. World going digital why not get rid of disc that waste space plus they can be broken.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox

@ghosts4ever: Because those that actually pay for their games enjoy buying used.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371

@joshrmeyer: Just buy your games digitally then. Problem solved.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Yes. I passed by a Gamestop yesterday and wondered if and why anyone still actually bought physical copies of games.

Next gen will likely also be the last generation for actual consoles. Im forseeing a console/streaming 'stick' duo generation similar to this generation's digital/disc duo console launch.

Streaming sticks and gaming services installed on TV's will take over actual hardware, and its happening fast. The faster corporations can cut out the losses of having to sell actual hardware in order for consumers to purchase and play software, the better. For them, anyway...

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3052 Posts

I literally broke out my launch PS3 earlier this year to play NFS: Underground, and I had a blast. I didn't have to re-up my subscription, check-in with some server or download anything. I just hooked up the system, popped in the disc and played. It felt great!

I've been warning against this for years, and now it's too late. Never sell your control for convenience.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1

@dimebag667 said:

I literally broke out my launch PS3 earlier this year to play NFS: Underground, and I had a blast. I didn't have to re-up my subscription, check-in with some server or download anything. I just hooked up the system, popped in the disc and played. It felt great!

I've been warning against this for years, and now it's too late. Never sell your control for convenience.

this is an issue, the convenience of not getting off your fatass to swap a disc. People are lazy mofos, nowadays they have drive thrus not just at fast food restaurants, but at the bank, let that sink in for a minute. They have grocery store associates do the shopping for you while you sit your fatass in the car and pickup, or even worse just wait home while someone delivers to your door.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blaznwiipspman1

@ghosts4ever said:

I hope. Physical disk end. Waste of space. Every thing ia digital including currencies.

thats true, my nft bro ghosts. But sadly the nfts are doing trash recently, and even crypto is tanking. Still im on the side of crypto, we're going to the moon.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3052 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Haha, they've had drive-thrus at the bank for longer than I've been alive. But I get your point, and I agree. Everything is geared to keep you at home and never leave. I hate it with a passion.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Archangel3371: I paid $100 more for a disc drive for a reason. Got Tiny Tinas Wonderlands for $19.99. It's $59.99 digitally. Too bad they don't offer that option for the same price. I rarely resell games, so digital is fine with me, if the price is right.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

@joshrmeyer: Well you said that you hope they go all digital next gen but now you’re saying you bought the disc based for the specific reason to buy physical versions of games cheaper. Those statements seem to be at odds with each other.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@Archangel3371: I paid $100 more for a disc drive for a reason. Got Tiny Tinas Wonderlands for $19.99. It's $59.99 digitally. Too bad they don't offer that option for the same price. I rarely resell games, so digital is fine with me, if the price is right.

yeah because there is 0 competition for digital prices because PSN is completely walled, hence physical pretty much always have better prices

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Probably. I don't see the need for it anymore.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Yes. Reducing waste and plastic is good for the environment and businesses are already adopting this. We already live in a digital world. It's sad, but we have to face it eventually.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

Physical disc gaming will only go away if the consumer keeps purchasing digital only. So if a time comes where a console manufacturer tries to sell a digital only console, people need to oppose it. If no one does, it'll become the norm. I'd like to find out how many children of the newer generation chose digital over physical?

Let's also not ignore that it's more cost effective to get rid of discs.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

good god I hope so can't stand physical discs taking up space and swapping them in out all day long

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks  Online
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Yup! No questions about that. It's a waste of space and resources. Not only that, it contributes to plastic problem.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8197 Posts

Gamers happy about content they pay for being locked to a digital platform is straight up stupid to me.

Hopefully not TC, I love physical.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

I hope not. For games I really care about I want to see them on the shelf or lend them to friends. For games I don't care about, I want to get most of my money back by selling them on craigslist.

Also, my local library has games; it's like gamepass on steriods and it's free. They get basically every single Switch/PS4/5 game it's nuts. That's like 95% of my games right there.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

We need to drop the optical media for software distribution. If you really can't access the internet then you should be able to request the latest version on a flash drive by mail or local pickup.

Trying to cram an early version on a disk and getting it out to stores by release date is a waste of resources and puts unnecessary constraints on an already difficult schedule. Shipping disks with incomplete data (or none at all) is just plain dumb. This kind of crap should be limited to collector's editions.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#30 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

No! There is still a market for it.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

It wont be the primary console. Heck, the primary Xbox (Series S) already doesn't have a disc drive.

OmegaBlueUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OmegaBlueUp
Member since 2006 • 500 Posts

Even though I got the digital only PS5 and I personally don't plan on buying physical games anymore I still voted "No".

There is still too much revenue in retail sales to get rid of. Stores don't make as much money from digital only systems.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

No, even if digital is a vast majority of where all transactions happen, physical release will still be a thing.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2405 Posts

Haven't bought a game on disc for a long while, because I don't care about PlayStation anymore and never cared about Xbox. Is the quality control as bad as with movies? I get so many scratched discs from the only Blu-ray plants left in Mexico. I'm having to replace that Columbia Volume 3 a SECOND time because one movie or another in the boxset wouldn't read to completion. The workers must be under enormous time pressure to put this back in my boxset:

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371

Kind of hard to imagine games going digital only when you can still purchase music and movies on physical format. I still buy my music on CD and my movies on Blu-ray.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Could be the last gen for optical drives, but not for Switch cartridges. Unlike Blu-ray, Switch cartridge slots are very cheap to manufacture, so removing it will not make the Switch notably cheaper.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 939 Posts

Sony and MS... probably. Nintendo, no way in hell

A vast Nintendo fanbase are collectors who prefer buying physical. Thats why Nintendo games are always on top of physical charts sales. They know that and thats why their games rarely go down in price.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I hope not. Internet speeds are extremely slow in my country and do not have time to download games.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

While there's a market for it physical will always be an option. Digital is definitely more appealing to me though.