Is this a sign that XBOX is becoming the next Dream Cast? MS studios might games for PS and Switch

• 50 results
daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By daredevils2k

Poll Is this a sign that XBOX is becoming the next Dream Cast? MS studios might games for PS and Switch (52 votes)

YES 33%
NO 67%

One of Xbox's bosses has said there is potential for first-party studios to release games on non-Microsoft platforms.Traditionally when a platform acquires a studio, it buys the rights to publish every future game on its own console. But Xbox seem to be toying with leniency; in an interview with Game Informer, Xbox's first-party studios boss Matt Booty said that Microsoft-owned developers like Double Fine and Obsidian might still be able to create games for rival platforms in the future.

He revealed Xbox would consider allowing studios to continue creating multiplatform games after being acquired, saying "I think that the question is less binary about, ‘should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation?’ and more, ‘does it make sense for the franchise?’

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer on Giving Studios More Time for Game Qualityshare

“In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms, or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game?"

It's not an unprecedented approach. Microsoft holds the rights to games like Minecraft and Cuphead, which have both been published on platforms other than Xbox. Elsewhere, both The Outer Worlds and Psychonauts 2 will be multiplatform releases, despite developers Obsidian and Double Fine respectively being owned by Microsoft. However, in this case these developers were acquired by Microsoft after development on these games began, and so it remains to be seen if these studios will remain multiplatform for further projects.

“With something like Minecraft, I think it was a no-brainer that we were never going to try and take anything from players that existed on those platforms, and certainly we’ve added platforms since that acquisition," said Booty.“But then obviously we’re going to have our big franchises like Forza, Halo and Sea of Thieves, where those games are designed from the outset to really exist on Xbox, I think that will continue.”

In other words, more Xbox-owned games in the future could launch on PlayStation so long as the head honchos feel it makes sense for that particular franchise to cast a wide net for players.

Xbox seems to be buffing a strategy that offers a lot more choice for gamers. Phil Spencer recently tweeted that a lot more single player games are in the works for the platform. In the meantime, check out August's free Games With Gold.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/12/games-from-new-xbox-first-party-developers-might-launch-on-playstation-and-switch-too

I would love to see one of my favorite games on the PC (ORI) sequel on the ps4, so that I don't have to buy it for the PC.

• 
R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

Basically it's just an excuse to put Minecraft on other platforms.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

So they will abuse the licence Obsidian still have to release games on PS4. Not sure they have a PS5 licence tho.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Man I'd love to have both Ori games on Switch.

But, no... don't see Xbox becoming the next Dreamcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

So they will abuse the licence Obsidian still have to release games on PS4. Not sure they have a PS5 licence tho.

I think that is good. More Odsidian multiplatform games in the future.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

With Xbox Scarlet releasing next year, I'd say MS becoming a true 3rd-party is unlikely.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

No, I really don’t see that happening myself.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

Exclusives are terrible. Release the games on all platforms so everybody can enjoy them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@BassMan said:

Exclusives are terrible. Release the games on all platforms so everybody can enjoy them.

If only we can say the same for all Nintendo exclusives to be play on all platforms, were golden!

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

While people here think that MS releasing their games on other platforms is a sign of defeat, I think it is a brilliant strategy. I would be thrilled if Sony did the same with Playstation games on PC - they were close with the Dualshock 4 adapter for PC and Mac.
Additionally, both of the new next gen consoles are basically going to run the same hardware, so why not just let us play them on out similar spec PC?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Switch will absorb all xbox games making it perfect and xbone will just be trash

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BassMan

@davillain- said:
@BassMan said:

If only we can say the same for all Nintendo exclusives to be play on all platforms, were golden!

Exclusives are more silly now than ever. There is nothing the individual consoles do that is special compared to the competition. Games are developed with the x86 architecture which is shared among X1, PS4 and PC. Switch uses ARM, but they can still do ports between the two without crazy amounts effort. Why are people being forced to buy a specific console to gain access to a game? That particular console is not what is enabling that game to be made. It should not be required. Exclusives are all about corporate greed and control. They are not for the benefit of gamers. Only dumb ass fanboys cheer for exclusives. All games should be on every platform unless a platform is incapable of running the game or not suited for it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Cows must be excited about the possibility

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@BassMan said:
@davillain- said:
@BassMan said:

Exclusives are more silly now than ever. There is nothing the individual consoles do that is special compared to the competition. Games are developed with the x86 architecture which is shared among X1, PS4 and PC. Switch uses ARM, but they can still do ports between the two without crazy amounts effort. Why are people being forced to buy a specific console to gain access to a game? That particular console is not what is enabling that game to be made. It should not be required. Exclusives are all about corporate greed and control. They are not for the benefit of gamers. Only dumb ass fanboys cheer for exclusives. All games should be on every platform unless a platform is incapable of running the game or not suited for it.

Can you cry any harder?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@mave198 said:

The writing has been on the wall since E3, only the filthy lemmings are in denial about MS going 3rd party.

The lemmings will soon be extinct, and the gaming world will be a better place without their constant vitriol and arrogance.

Good riddance.

TLHBO

As usual, you aren't making any sense.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily: He's not wrong. "Exclusives" on each consoles are anti-consumers but however, what choice do we gamers have? Sink or swim right? Until the day all consoles exclusive are no longer a thing, I'll still buy consoles to play their exclusives so yeah, I'm swimming lol but you get my point.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69439 Posts

@BassMan said:

Yes! Yes! Join the "butthurtness" of wanting games to be platform agnostic.

The future of gaming is hardware agnostic
The future of gaming is hardware agnostic

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Forza on Playstation means I no longer will have any needs for upgrading pc lol. Was thinking of upgrading the 1060 to whatever 2160p capable card Nvidia announcing next year or even maybe what AMD is offering with rumored rx 5900 card.

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

#20 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 491 Posts

Making Minecraft multi-platform makes a ton of sense. You're only gonna get so many sales on Xbox and PC so why not branch into new markets and open up the game for millions of new customers. Same with Cuphead, although I think that one was more in line with extending an olive branch to Nintendo.

Xbox isn't going away any time soon. Battletoads, Ori 2, Gears 5 and new Cuphead DLC. The new Xbox console launches with a new Halo game. Fable is deep in development, Forza remains a big seller and they have a ton of indie hits (like Ashen, State of Decay) under their belt.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BassMan

@sakaixx said:

Forza on Playstation means I no longer will have any needs for upgrading pc lol. Was thinking of upgrading the 1060 to whatever 2160p capable card Nvidia announcing next year or even maybe what AMD is offering with rumored rx 5900 card.

If Playstation could actually run games properly, I might understand your logic. However, it is a shit console. PC is the only platform that can run all games properly. So, you are better off upgrading your PC and continue to enjoy vastly superior multi-plats, the best version of MS games, and PC exclusives as well. Owning a Playstation as a secondary platform for exclusives is okay, but not as a primary platform.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro  Online

@BassMan said:

If Playstation could actually run games properly, I might understand your logic. However, it is a shit console. PC is the only platform that can run all games properly. So, you are better off upgrading your PC and continue to enjoy vastly superior multi-plats, the best version of MS games, and PC exclusives as well. Owning a Playstation as a secondary platform for exclusives is okay, but not as a primary platform.

You seem to always struggle with understanding that your preference is not others. Why is that?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

You seem to always struggle with understanding that your preference is not others. Why is that?

If someone prefers shit, that is fine. However, disregarding the benefits/superiority of PC gaming is not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro  Online

@BassMan said:

If someone prefers shit, that is fine. However, disregarding the benefits/superiority of PC gaming is not.

Seems like the struggle is real with you. I am sorry for your misery.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Yeah they are way too pro-consumer for their own good, and I'm the one who's complained about all the games on PS4 and Switch. And cause of all that, hearing them say this, is very alarming.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

Seems like the struggle is real with you. I am sorry for your misery.

LOL, no struggle here. I am the one gaming on PC. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro  Online

@BassMan said:

Yet you are bitter every time another gamer mentions a preference that is not in line with yours. So, yeah the struggle is real.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Of course, Xcloud is a multi platform service. People think MS won't be third party? Scarlet will the last one in my opinion until Xcloud becomes more mainstream.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro  Online
@Random_Matt said:

Of course, Xcloud is a multi platform service. People think MS won't be third party? Scarlet will the last one in my opinion until Xcloud becomes more mainstream.

Their consoles sets a standard for development so I don't see it as their last one.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

Yet you are bitter every time another gamer mentions a preference that is not in line with yours. So, yeah the struggle is real.

Last I checked, this is System Wars. I am doing my part.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

If Forza ever ends up PlayStation, I will have no reason to ever buy another Xbox.

Not that I was planning on it anyway. The xbone sucks and I have no faith in the next one.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator

@sakaixx said:

If you want GPU upgrade recommendation from me, I go and buy RTX 2060 and be done with it, but if you can squeeze just a few more money, get the 2070 Super. That GPU will last you for a long time whenever Nvidia announces 3000 series.

Otherwise, you could always get PS5 and play Forza from their. Just food for thoughts :)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

@davillain-: planning a major upgrade but I am having second thoughts, I recently haven't played games much on PC, only for work and productivity. Console is where I relax and take my mind of stress.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator

@sakaixx: And nothing wrong with consoles in mind. I guess I just love the multitasking stuff on PC I do with everyday of my gaming life that always spoils me lol.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@davillain- said:

With Xbox Scarlet releasing next year, I'd say MS becoming a true 3rd-party is unlikely.

Often I wonder how people come up with such poppycock of Xbox going the way of the dodo bird considering the money it makes for MS. Apparently opinions overshadow facts. The droolers said Nintendo was going that way and now Xbox. Who knows.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@mave198: not FANWARS

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Bring your games to linux MS...DO IT!!!......er..please? :). not likely in all seriousness.

anywho an interesting approach and not that surprising IF ms can have their own way (assuming this is true).

remember that xbox live is far more important to MS than the xbox console. IF they can use their exclusives as leverage to get PS and switch players to use xbox live on those consoles then they will be more than happy to throw the xbox console under a bus to do so (though ideally for MS they also sell loads of xbox consoles of course).

MS are, first and foremost, a services company.

There is also the cost of development next gen to consider. decoupling the success of your games from the success of your console would make the software development side of things less risky and increase the potential for MSs exclusives to make money.

MS and nintendo have been looking at ways to mitigate risks this gen: MS by bringing their games to windows and nintendo by generating revenue from mobile too (stepping out of the hardware race also keeps costs in check).

Sony have been more focused on just PS because the PS4 is a big hit so they can get away with it. but if they have a repeat of the PS3 or a vita on their hands they could be in big trouble. it would be vary hard to justify big AAA production budgets and tie them exclusively to a console that is not doing well.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Why was this thread left open and the other closed? This one has a troll title, and the other one had a title that was true; MS did reach out to the other companies to see if they would put their games on their platforms (namely Sony and Halo games).

By other thread, I mean theone made by subspecies (reduc?).

Mods?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro  Online

@BassMan said:

Last I checked, this is System Wars. I am doing my part.

Struggle confirmed. :)

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7230 Posts

Some games make sense on the switch like cuphead, Ori but can't see halo or gears on a ps or Nintendo console.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro  Online
@robert_sparkes said:

Some games make sense on the switch like cuphead, Ori but can't see halo or gears on a ps or Nintendo console.

Why not?

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

Sega didn't port 1st party Dreamcast exclusives to other platforms until after the Dreamcast was discontinued. What MS is doing is more forward thinking, and benefits gamers as well as creating more sales. Also, the Dreamcast only moved around 10 million units making it more comparable with the Wii U as far as sales go. Exclusives are anti gamer, and cross platform play is the future.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

There's no such thing as PS4 license. Every single game needs to be signed and approved by the platform owner before it can be released. As for devkits, MS already have access to those due to Minecraft and even if they didn't, they can simple get those.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Xbox is already coming to switch, how does everyone forget (IMO big) news that only happened a few months ago?

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

Considering all of their new studio acquisitions, and Xbox Scarlett releasing next year, I doubt MS is going 3rd party any time soon.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Member the old days when high scoring xbox exclusives were brag about and thrown in other console owners face as something you could only get on xbox?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro  Online

@tormentos: Seems like you Sony fannies really love living in the past. Those Xbox fannies definitely did a number on you guys since you all frequently get flashbacks of being "shamed".

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Dreamcast had loads of quality exclusives. Xbone doesn't.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I wish all companies would release all games on all systems so we can actually have the freedom to choose where to play the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro  Online

@ArchoNils2 said:

I wish all companies would release all games on all systems so we can actually have the freedom to choose where to play the game.

Fanboys and corporate shills hate such a notion because their self worth is based on shilling.